Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  18:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message
Hi,

I rarely read FR novels but I'm very glad I picked up Daughter of the Drow. Well done.

That's really all I have to say, I'm glad these forums are here for us fans to let you guys know.

Props!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  14:03:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Hi,

I rarely read FR novels but I'm very glad I picked up Daughter of the Drow. Well done.

That's really all I have to say, I'm glad these forums are here for us fans to let you guys know.

Props!

Thanks for the kind word, Elf Friend.

::dives back into the Waterdeep book::
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  01:41:58  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Elaine,I just finished Windwalker,and I must say that I really enjoyed it very much.You did a marvelous job.Thank you very much.Now I haven't read this thread much.So I am not sure if this question has been asked.Is there any plans in the future to do more work with Liriel?????Because if I read correctly.She kind of went off with a couple other characters at the end,and it kind of left a few things open.Am I reading too much into that???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  01:21:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Elaine,I just finished Windwalker,and I must say that I really enjoyed it very much.You did a marvelous job.Thank you very much.Now I haven't read this thread much.So I am not sure if this question has been asked.Is there any plans in the future to do more work with Liriel?????Because if I read correctly.She kind of went off with a couple other characters at the end,and it kind of left a few things open.Am I reading too much into that???

SPOILER WARNING

Glad you enjoyed the book, Vedsica. It was a very difficult story to write, given the ending, and I thought it was important that Liriel would not be left completely alone. It would have been a different sort of tragedy had Fyodor become an outcast from Rashemen to share the uncertain life of an outcast drow.

There's definitely room for the story to continue, and I would not be adverse to writing about the adventures of a kick-ass elven sisterhood, but alas, there are no plans for another Liriel story at this time. In fact, the Waterdeep book and a short story in the Realms of the Dragons anthology is all that's in the pipeline.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  07:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And so the walls of Candlekeep echo with disbelieving gasps and sighs of disapointment. Here and there come the sounds of a sob or two at the thought of silence from such a Realms icon. Oh, would that authors could keep the pace of a reader! Curses upon Time, that which there is so much of and yet so little! Oh, for the joy of another Cunningham novel!

In other words: "Phooey!"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  14:31:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Indeed. The Waterdeep book is scheduled for release in August 2005. After that, who knows?

I do have a number of other things in the works. The first novel in the Changeling Detective Agency series, Shadows in the Darkness, will be out in October, and next week, god/dess willing, I'll be starting on book two, which will be finished mid summer (it's a short book, two-months of work) and released October 2005. (New York publishers like a LOT of lead time.) My agent is reviewing the draft of a contract for another project (can't talk about that one yet), and I've got a couple of long-term, on-spec projects going: a huge historical novel and an Arthurian fantasy. I also have two completed manuscripts for contemporary thrillers sitting in my files--good ideas, but there are problems with the execution--and I plan to rewrite them when time permits. Plus some history articles and short stories. I always keep a few on-spec projects in various stages of development so there's no down-time between contracted works. (In the past few years, I haven't had a lot of down-time, which is why I haven't published much outside of the Realms....) No working writer can afford to wait for the phone to ring, especially with a kid heading to college in the fall.

I'm also looking into the possibility of writing a novel in collaboration with my son Andrew. He writes very well, and he's got a creative and devious mind. (He came up with the massive necromancy spell combination used for the final battle in The Floodgate: dehydration spell to dessicate an army, use the resulting fluids to create a massive water elemental, raise the mummified dead and turn them against their living comrades...) He's also a rules lawyer, dungeon master, and avid strategy gamer, so he is very familiar with the fantasy audience and the conventions of the genre. Andrew focuses more on plot, while I'm stronger on characterizations. It would be a good mix of abilities, not to mention a heck of a summer job! He has the creativity, the talent, the personal discipline, and the focus, and while there is much that can be learned from working at a McJob, I have selfish motives: I enjoy time spent with him, and I think the two of us could write a heck of a story.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 May 2004 14:37:53
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  17:08:59  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

I'm also looking into the possibility of writing a novel in collaboration with my son Andrew. He writes very well, and he's got a creative and devious mind. (He came up with the massive necromancy spell combination used for the final battle in The Floodgate: dehydration spell to dessicate an army, use the resulting fluids to create a massive water elemental, raise the mummified dead and turn them against their living comrades...) He's also a rules lawyer, dungeon master, and avid strategy gamer, so he is very familiar with the fantasy audience and the conventions of the genre. Andrew focuses more on plot, while I'm stronger on characterizations. It would be a good mix of abilities, not to mention a heck of a summer job! He has the creativity, the talent, the personal discipline, and the focus, and while there is much that can be learned from working at a McJob, I have selfish motives: I enjoy time spent with him, and I think the two of us could write a heck of a story.

Ms. Cunningham,

Wow. I havn't read The Floodgate, but that sounds very dramatic - and, indeed, devious! I think I'm going to have to insist your collaboration be Realmsian (though, I'd buy it - if I had the cash - even if it was a teen romance!)

I e-mailed you some time back about the possibility of further fiction about Zz'Pzora (the two headed dragon of the great DotD and TW), and cannot wait for Realms of Dragons to read it! (Was I right that you menat it would be included there?)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  17:35:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
I e-mailed you some time back about the possibility of further fiction about Zz'Pzora (the two headed dragon of the great DotD and TW), and cannot wait for Realms of Dragons to read it! (Was I right that you menat it would be included there?)

Hi, Sarelle. No, the story in RoD will be "Gorlist's Dragon," and will focus on an episode in Gorlist's early life, back when he was an arena fighter in Chad Nasad.

I pitched two other story ideas to Phil Athans, the project editor, one of which was a story about Zz'Pzora set in Skullport during the timeframe covered in Daughter of the Drow. That story, tentatively titled "Discuss It Amongst Yourselves," is a comic romp similar in tone and style to the story "The Direct Approach" in the anthology Realms of Magic. When Zip got to Skullport she was ready to party, and the story describes some of the mischief she and Liriel get into during a girls' night out. The title refers both to Zip's split personality, and also to the three floating skulls that appear at random moments to mete out punishment to miscreants. One insane deep dragon with two personalities plus three pissed-off magical skulls presents a significant challenge to Liriel's ability to think on her feet. I started this story years ago and would like to finish it some day, but given my current work load I seldom have time to write something just for the fun of it. If a market for that story opens up, I'll be all over it. I'm not sure what project would best suit it--Realms of Slapstick, perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  17:50:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hmmm. My last couple of posts make it appear that I complete only a small percentage of the stories I start. Lest that create a skewed and unduly flakey impression, I should mention the importance of a journal, which in my case is a computer folder labled "Ideas."

When a story idea comes to mind, I open a new file and dump the thoughts into it, which preserves the ideas for possible future development and clears my mind to focus on the project at hand. Sometimes these ideas develop into a book or story, sometimes they don't. Sometimes a file might be a short description, i.e., "a story set in Roman Britain in the city of Aquae Sulis (currently known as Bath) dealing with the prayers to the goddess Minerva (prayers that were frequently curses) engraved on pewter sheets and tossed into the sacred hot springs." Sometimes it's a lengthy file that developes in bits and pieces over time, and includes plot elements, new characters, pages of dialogue, and even whole scenes. An example of this is "Restoration," an Arilyn/Danilo/Elaith story I hope to someday write, much of which came about during a fantasy con in Germany that was characterized by a freak heat wave and serious jet lag. I never knew when to sleep, and none of the hotels had air conditioning so it was too hot anyway. So I created Hamish the dwarven butler, a protocal savant with a very dark sense of humor.

Writing has three main sets of tasks: promoting stuff that's already written, writing new stuff, and lining up future projects. Obviously most of your time has to be spent on the actual writing, but if you don't think about what's coming next until you're ready to start writing it, you end up with too much down time. It's a juggling act, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
HMMMM!!I for one would love to see a new Arilyn/Danilo/Elaith novel.Would it be mean of me to hope for more heat and jet lag Elaine????

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:26:56  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hi, Sarelle. No, the story in RoD will be "Gorlist's Dragon," and will focus on an episode in Gorlist's early life, back when he was an arena fighter in Chad Nasad.

I pitched two other story ideas to Phil Athans, the project editor, one of which was a story about Zz'Pzora set in Skullport during the timeframe covered in Daughter of the Drow. That story, tentatively titled "Discuss It Amongst Yourselves," is a comic romp similar in tone and style to the story "The Direct Approach" in the anthology Realms of Magic. When Zip got to Skullport she was ready to party, and the story describes some of the mischief she and Liriel get into during a girls' night out. The title refers both to Zip's split personality, and also to the three floating skulls that appear at random moments to mete out punishment to miscreants. One insane deep dragon with two personalities plus three pissed-off magical skulls presents a significant challenge to Liriel's ability to think on her feet. I started this story years ago and would like to finish it some day, but given my current work load I seldom have time to write something just for the fun of it. If a market for that story opens up, I'll be all over it. I'm not sure what project would best suit it--Realms of Slapstick, perhaps.

Ah, well, you can't have everything. Still - the Gorlist story sounds intriguing. And do remember Zip, the next time an anthology comes your way. *Searches for a two-headed emoticon with a puppy-dog expression.*

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:28:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

HMMMM!!I for one would love to see a new Arilyn/Danilo/Elaith novel.Would it be mean of me to hope for more heat and jet lag Elaine????

Well, to my knowledge, the problem isn't a lack of desire on Elaine's part to writing such a novel, but a lack of desire from WOTC in contracting for such a work.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Maybe you shouldn't have said that, hmm? Now we're going to be clammoring for you to finish it . . . .

As to the "Ideas" folder, I have something similar. Actually just the same, except mine's all one file. When the idea is big enough, it spawns its own proto-story file. (Often, unless I'm struck by inspiration, titled "NewStory(number)-notes." Titles are often a bit difficult.) I'll also start files on my PDA, which can be useful when the checkout line or bus ride is overly long -- just whip it out and start typing. Well, pecking, but I've gotten pretty fast with that on-screen "keyboard."

And without fail, my notes always outnumber anything I've actually written as far as the story is concerned. Which is how it should be, of course. Like many people who start trying to write, I once thought I could keep everything straight in my head. And for a while, I did. Of course, that was back when I had a grand total of three stories, and when I was fourteen. My ADD was pretty bad then, but it didn't start affecting my memory until around age fifteen/sixteen. Now I'm an absent minded professor type.

Thank goodness for David Eddings' The Rivan Codex. If it hadn't been for how he stressed the importance of notes, I wouldn't have switched my focus to getting things organized until well after I started getting so forgetful.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  20:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Well, to my knowledge, the problem isn't a lack of desire on Elaine's part to writing such a novel, but a lack of desire from WOTC in contracting for such a work.

The Bookwyrm starts passing out picket signs that read "Free Danilo! Let Cunningham Write What She Wants!"

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  21:04:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
The Bookwyrm starts passing out picket signs that read "Free Danilo! Let Cunningham Write What She Wants!"

Heh. Thanks for the thought, but one of the facts of life in shared-world fiction is the existance of an overall editorial plan/direction. That's one of the things a writer knows going in, and it's necessary to continuity. If your personal inclinations fit into that plan, great; if not, flexibility is a virtue.

If I could chose FR projects, in order of preference, here's what I would do:

1) "Restoration," the Arilyn/Dan/Elaith story, which would take place directly after the events of Dream Spheres and be set mostly in Tethyr. It could deal with the restoration of Tethyr's monarachy, and would deal with some of the issues raised in the last Songs & Swords book. At the end of Dream Spheres, all of the main characters were at a point of transition. That's not where I want to leave them, and I'd like to do a book that wraps up the S&S series--not one that would preclude the possibility of future stories, but one that would move these characters to a different and more satisfying place.

2) A story focusing on Elaith, either a caper novel or a revenge story (the primary object of his vengence being Kymil Nimesin). In either story, he would learn about the existance of his son, the firstborn child of Princess Amnestria (Arilyn's mother.) The story would be set in the present, and would not delve into Elaith's path, so that he could retain much of the mystery that currently defines the character.

3) "Darkhold," a story focusing on the Zhentarim and tying up some of the loose threads in Thornhold: the fate of the young paladin Algorind, the problem of a fallen paladin within the ranks of the Knights of Samular, the true purpose of this holy order and the REAL POWER of the rings (the seige tower was simply somthing the rings animated: think of them as a battery, and the tower as a flashlight...), the custody battle over young Cara which pits Bronwyn against her brother Dag Zoreth and both of them against the elven sorceress Ashemi, the establishment (or not) of a dwarven stronghold in the fortress of Thornhold, the skeletons in Khelben's closet that put him at odds with the Knights of Samular, and the reason why Danilo has such a dim view of paladin orders. I'd also like to tie in some of the story threads into the hidden past of the Pereghost, who is rumored to be a fallen paladin and who for many years has commanded troops in Darkhold.

Yes, I'm definitely in closure mode.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 May 2004 21:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  21:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Hmm. I'd thought there had to be more to the rings, or failing that, the tower.

And whaddaya know, my wishlist order is the same there as well!

I know about editorial plan, but I'm going to hang on to my picket sign. This is the sort of thing I want out of the Realms. And I don't really see how they'd take much exception to Restoration, though it's easily seen how Darkhold could muddy their waters a bit.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have some sort of plan beyond the trend they're doing now. I just hope it goes the way I want soon.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  03:16:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Thank you for the list. I find all three fascinating and would purchase such novels if they ever came to fruition.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  05:40:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Thank you for the list. I find all three fascinating and would purchase such novels if they ever came to fruition.

As would I!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  12:15:52  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Thanks for the thought, but one of the facts of life in shared-world fiction is the existance of an overall editorial plan/direction. That's one of the things a writer knows going in, and it's necessary to continuity. If your personal inclinations fit into that plan, great; if not, flexibility is a virtue.

1) "Restoration," the Arilyn/Dan/Elaith story, which would take place directly after the events of Dream Spheres and be set mostly in Tethyr. It could deal with the restoration of Tethyr's monarachy, and would deal with some of the issues raised in the last Songs & Swords book. At the end of Dream Spheres, all of the main characters were at a point of transition. That's not where I want to leave them, and I'd like to do a book that wraps up the S&S series--not one that would preclude the possibility of future stories, but one that would move these characters to a different and more satisfying place.

2) A story focusing on Elaith, either a caper novel or a revenge story (the primary object of his vengence being Kymil Nimesin). In either story, he would learn about the existance of his son, the firstborn child of Princess Amnestria (Arilyn's mother.) The story would be set in the present, and would not delve into Elaith's path, so that he could retain much of the mystery that currently defines the character.

3) "Darkhold," a story focusing on the Zhentarim and tying up some of the loose threads in Thornhold: the fate of the young paladin Algorind, the problem of a fallen paladin within the ranks of the Knights of Samular, the true purpose of this holy order and the REAL POWER of the rings (the seige tower was simply somthing the rings animated: think of them as a battery, and the tower as a flashlight...), the custody battle over young Cara which pits Bronwyn against her brother Dag Zoreth and both of them against the elven sorceress Ashemi, the establishment (or not) of a dwarven stronghold in the fortress of Thornhold, the skeletons in Khelben's closet that put him at odds with the Knights of Samular, and the reason why Danilo has such a dim view of paladin orders. I'd also like to tie in some of the story threads into the hidden past of the Pereghost, who is rumored to be a fallen paladin and who for many years has commanded troops in Darkhold.

Yes, I'm definitely in closure mode.

Yes, three great concepts. I would really like to see more of Darkhold and people of the Zentharim. (Must have something to do with the camp I am creating at the moment. Big mumbo jombo going on there )

and another book on Eliath "The Serpent", just makes me drool. Sorry about that, but I can't help it.

I hope at least one of them comes around to see the light.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:15:02  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
I cannot comment on the first two of the wishlist much - having so far only read Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs and Elfsong (I am hanging my head in shame, people - really!), but I think that Danilo and Arilyn deserve closure, and novels set in the past always get me drooling. But most of all your idea for "Darkhold" sounds fascinating - and the Pereghost was one of those oddball characters I'd adore hearing more of.

I say we march into WotC offices, Reservoir Dogs-style, and demand Elaine writes the yummy stuff. Ah. Actually, my use of the word 'yummy' tells me that wouldn't really work!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:38:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I say we march into WotC offices, Reservoir Dogs-style, and demand Elaine writes the yummy stuff. Ah. Actually, my use of the word 'yummy' tells me that wouldn't really work!

A little known fact is the use of "yummy" in a proposal automatically negates any good idea.

Still, I want these stories written. Sirius looks at his savings' account online statement, looks at the list, savings account, list.....how much would you charge per page Elaine Cunningham for an impatient fan?

Just kidding.

Thanks again for sharing with the community.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  18:31:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

quote:

A little known fact is the use of "yummy" in a proposal automatically negates any good idea.

That's probably true. When writing proposals, writers should also avoid making such promises as "blockbuster," "timeless literature," or "Harry Potter turns 18 and meets Anite Blake."

On the former matter, thanks for the thought, but no, no, NO picket signs or protest marches or email campaigns or reservoir dogs.

People frequently ask what stories I'd like to write next, or what my idea of a dream project is, and I don't see any harm in talking about such things, but I definitely don't want the folks at WotC to think I'm doing some behind-the-scenes campaigning for pet projects. In fact, one FAQ on my website is the perennial question, "If we really want to see a particular book, what should we do?" Since "Damned if I know...." didn't strike me as a judicious response, I expressed my uncertainty about the effectiveness of letters and emails, and my consequent reticent to advise people to spend time on them.

I might be wrong about this; after all, Ed Greenwood routinely tells GenCon attendees to write to WotC with their requests, then recites the mailing address. I'm not about to argue with the Creator, and that tactic may very well work for him. But he's Ed, and I'm not, and there, IMO, the matter ends.

It's "common wisdom" that most of the folks on message boards and mailing lists are hard-core fans, and not necessarily representative of the readership. Avid fans of Realms lore might express great enthusiasm for an obscure tale about some little-used race set in a remote corner of the Realms, which would cast light on an intriquing tidbit of lore; in short, something that would prompt the general readership to stay away in droves. That's where the marketing people come in--they attempt to balance the enthusiasm of the few with the tastes and interests of the many.

Over the years I've gotten much more resigned philosophical about such matters. I don't pretend to know what sells, so I leave such matters to the folks who do. My task as a shared-world writer is to find a story that interests me within the given perameters of setting, stats and rules, editorial direction, and reader interests.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  20:13:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

When writing proposals, writers should also avoid making such promises as "blockbuster," "timeless literature," or "Harry Potter turns 18 and meets Anite Blake."

I'd actually read the last one.

quote:

On the former matter, thanks for the thought, but no, no, NO picket signs or protest marches or email campaigns or reservoir dogs.

Kill the phone call to Michael Madsen then folks. Although that is another story I would read: "Mr. Blonde visits the novel department at WOTC."

quote:

but I definitely don't want the folks at WotC to think I'm doing some behind-the-scenes campaigning for pet projects.

I can more than understand that philosophy. Gone wrong, it would be one way to perhaps annoy an editor or burn some bridges.

quote:

I might be wrong about this; after all, Ed Greenwood routinely tells GenCon attendees to write to WotC with their requests, then recites the mailing address. I'm not about to argue with the Creator, and that tactic may very well work for him. But he's Ed, and I'm not, and there, IMO, the matter ends.

I've seen Ed Greenwood advise this. But, to anyone out there, authors included, has there ever been anything that came about from fans writing in with such requests?

quote:

That's where the marketing people come in--they attempt to balance the enthusiasm of the few with the tastes and interests of the many.

I always saw marketing people as Vulcans.

quote:

My task as a shared-world writer is to find a story that interests me within the given perameters of setting, stats and rules, editorial direction, and reader interests.

Well, even if WOTC is not contracting you for a story or stories that many fans here would like (I want my hardcore fan combat patch by the way), nothing has been said about never, ever again, publishing books about Elaith, Arilyn, etc. Thus, I hold out hope that as long as I'm alive and a certain author is alive, anything is possible in the future no matter how far.

Sirius raises eyebrows, "You are eating healthy right Elaine Cunningham?"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  09:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Shucks. Oh, well. And here I was going to get out some sixties-era peace symbols to go with my picket signs.

Anyone want to buy a used protest sign? It's got hardly any milage -- almost new . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  19:18:00  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
*Sadly steps out of crisp black'n'white suit and hands 9mm to Elaine.* Kill Bill-style, then? *Rummages for a yellow cat-suit.*

No, seriously, I joke around too much. Never in a million years would I endanger your job Ms. Cunningham, not intentionally anyway (the bomb set to detonate under the Hasbro offices might do that, but it was never intended. Okay, sorry. I'll stop ).

Back onto FR related questions:

You didn't happen to name Zz'Pzora's mother (the one who fought the banshee), did you?
This isn't only to answer my insatiable curiosity about Zip, but also because I'm attempting to compile a complete list of FR dragons for the site, and only dead ones with names can be included.

Thankees.

Edited by - Sarelle on 19 May 2004 19:19:03
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  00:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
WOW talking to the author how cool is that? Anyway I love your novels and thanks to Kuje I plan I being here often so blame him if I get annoying. I am a late bloomer as far as the novels and lore go but I think I am making a great effort to catch up beind a DnD player for about 4 yrs. a Dm for 3yrs and reading novels for about 10 months at a ridiculous pace considering the I am always into something (especially playing). I have gotten thru all the Drizzt stuff except Lone Drow and I have read the Starlight and Shadows trilogy and the Songs and Swords set, the Avatar Trilogy and the Shadow of it lol and more. I'll tell you the Drizzt stuff was no walk in the park it's like 15 books and now I'm findind Short Shorties everywhere Jeez anyway off the topic (can you tell I'm a newb hey this is the first post from me here ever) A few questions 1 I'm sure you've been asked a millions times but i wasn't there to hear it

1) Who Dm's for you if you stil play (assumeing you have played) DnD??
2) Did you plan to have Sylune in the Windwalker when you wrote the first two and until the Windwalker did you know Sylune was at some point a Wyclan <<(I know that's spelled wrong).
3)Working with Ed must be great. when you found out or got go ahead on the Waterdeep project, what were you first thoughts and feelings knowing Ed himself would be right there with u??

I know not exactly in deph and hard core fan question but I'm wet behind the ears yet. ( I plan On Drying Them ASAP)

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 20 May 2004 01:55:18
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  03:02:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Sarelle, the name of Zip's mother never came up in the Liriel stories. I'm always hestitant to disseminate unofficial lore, but feel free to come up with your own!

Myst, welcome to Candlekeep. Wow, that's a lot of novels to read in ten months!

In answer to your questions, I'm not involved in a D&D campaign, unless you count supplying snacks for my sons' gaming groups. I always had in mind that Sylune was trained in Rashemen, even before I started the Starlight & Shadows novels, because this seemed a reasonable explanation for her title "the Witch of Shadowdale." References to witches are rare in the Realms, and seem to be specific to Rashemen. Regarding the Waterdeep book, Ed is wonderful, funny, and unfailingly gracious, but he's not "right with me." In fact, we live in different countries, so we've discussed ideas over the phone and sent chunks of manuscript back and forth via email.

And speaking of which, I need to finish up another chunk.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  03:56:59  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Where's a good wire tap when you need it

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  06:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham actually says I read a lot. WOW that's cool I love your books BTW. and I am glowing right now I never enjoyed reading so much until I read my first FR novels (Elfsong) Oringally when I started playing I knew nothing and couldn't understand why my friends were always like oooh and no way when we played and the DM was like "You reach Shadowdale (or some other place that they had read about)and see the Twisted tower and a modest tower in the farming town itself"<< something like that (not sure if it was actually ShadowDale) of course outta game they knew where they were and were estatic but I wasn't and that's when I was like what's the big deal?? and they just looked at me like and said yo that's "Elminsters tower" and I was like "so". Needless to say had they not been good friends I may have been pelted with D20's. Anyway my friend love's your work so much that WHen I realzied how many books I would have to read to "KNow the Realms" and I didn't know where to start he suggested I read Elfsong and Elminster making of a Mage and when My interest was peaked and I wanted to know more about Mystra and world we were playing in, they said Avatar Trilogy from there I got introduced to Drizzt and I never looked back. I have read so much and such a short time but the way Ed describe's magic and the way you and RAS present elves and drow, will forever change the way I play the game.

Thank You truely EC you are one of a kind.

Myst<<<Member of the Fire Knives and Servant to a Netherese Weapon called Shadow's Bane a weapon that was once weilded by Shar's lover.

This is ^^^^ My first and favorite character and thanks to the crazy Dm I have. I am a Chaotic Neutral rogue stuck with this subtlely evil weapon. Of course this is a weapon he made up but it still kicks @ss....lol

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 20 May 2004 06:27:47
Go to Top of Page

Arios Calbriar
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  07:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Arios Calbriar's Homepage Send Arios Calbriar a Private Message
hello to all here at candlekeep... my journey throughout the realms has finally brought me to candlekeep and it is with great honor that i salute elaine cunningham for writing some of my favorite novels dealing with the forgotten realms... she has brought to life many of the most interesting characters and personalities which have inhabited toril... now since we have the opportunity to ask this great author a question i would love to know if there are any novels in the works based solely on our dear friend elaith craulnobar...?

he is one of the most intriguing characters in her books and i would think that a series on him would be great...

before putting my quill down for the night i would love to also send a greeting to all the scribes here at the keep seeing as this is my first post and say that for a gamer like myself that has been playing for 15 years it is a pleasure to be able to participate on this site ... and lastly i would send a salute to one of the people that i introduced this game to and who has repayed me many times over with his friendship and today with the knowledge of this site... Myst keep shadowsbane sharp my friend.... lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000