Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reaver review spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  18:36:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It was a great novel. Anton had a surprisingly good sense of humour. Stedd was still likable. Umara was cool, nice to see the red wizard not obsessed with necromancy in the current Thay.

One of my favourite parts was seeing Nobion in action and liberated from his prison of blue fire and Malar's influence. I'm sure he will regain his power now and rejoin the Pantheon. And howfully his wings.

I'm guess the inner sea has its previous boarder restored, along with other alterations.

I was disappointed that the novel didn't cover Mulhorand's return at all, although I suspect that the Splendid sight the little girl noticed in the epilogue may have been Mulhorand returning, its goes unspecified leaving it a bit of a cliff hanger.

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  20:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Gyor!
Go to Top of Page

Felix
Acolyte

Singapore
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  22:14:08  Show Profile Send Felix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me a Forgotten Realms newbie. Is Lathander and Amaunator the same entity? After reading the GODBORN, i thought the latter is a more advanced version. Does The Reaver explain why Lathander is back?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  04:28:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander and Amaunator are aspects of the same diety yes, they coraspond to different phases of Sun. Lathander is the dawn and Amaunator is noon.

And yes its explained in the book.

@Richard Lee Byers, was I right about the ending of your book and Mulhorand's return? Or was the little girl looking at something else?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  13:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She was looking at something else, Gyor. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's not coming back, but that's not what I was indicating.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2014 :  19:36:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering!

Well another Mystery then. Ed is going to have his hands full tying up the threads/mysteries are at least the ones you guys decide not to leave to our imaginations.

Looking forward to your next book Richard.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  03:51:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished it today. Do you plan to do more with this trio (Stedd, Anton, and Umara?), Byers?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  12:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the plan, but of course it depends on what WotC wants me to write next. I'm currently waiting to hear.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  18:38:44  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see Aoth and the company as well. Perhaps more novels a year? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  20:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elsenrall, I would be glad to do two books a year if WotC wants them. The only potential hitch would be that they need to sign me and schedule them before I commit to other gigs that would preclude me doing so much for them.
Go to Top of Page

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  03:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Byers,

I just finished The Reaver and really like it. The story and characters are fascinating. I hope there will be sequel about Anton, Umara and Stedd. I am glad that Nobanion and Emerald Enclave also presented, which provide some interesting post-spellplague realmslore.

I remember other scribe mentioned that Anton Marivaldi appeared in your previous work Queen of the Depths. Will I know more about Anton¡¦s past in that book?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  05:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the novel!

I hope to continue with the characters. You probably noticed how the end of this book set up future adventures. I'm hoping the publisher gives me the go-ahead soon

Actually, the protagonist of QUEEN OF THE DEPTHS is a complete different guy. I wrote that novel so long ago that I forgot the hero was named Anton. If I'd remembered, I probably would have called the protagonist of THE REAVER something different to avoid confusion. But when you've written millions of words of fiction over the years, it's hard to recall all of it.
Go to Top of Page

Vyrdallen
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  09:26:38  Show Profile Send Vyrdallen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had heard of Nobanion before but I wasn't expecting their appearance. I too am interested in finding out what exactly lies where that girl was looking. I think Amaunator was somehow needed during the spellplague era because nothing was stable, and as Stedd said Amaunator rises when stability is needed above all else, while this is a time when there is hope of a new beginning, and hope is needed so Lathander comes again.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  16:58:35  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally finished The Reaver! It was a great read. @Vyrdallen I too was pleasantly surprised by Nobanion and I am also very interested in what the girl saw. I really enjoyed the characters and hope that they appear in other novels.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  17:50:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the girl saw the sun rising, truly rising, for the first time in months, since it was non-stop rain.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Lothlos!
Go to Top of Page

Vyrdallen
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2014 :  00:47:18  Show Profile Send Vyrdallen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have more interest in Lathander who was never one of the gods I paid much attention to and also kind of disliked because of the Dawn Cataclysm as a result of what was done in Reaver. Much more sympathy incurred.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2014 :  07:18:26  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this book a lot! Pirates are always nice thing to have. But only small thing bugs me. Part with Amanautor's high priest. Kinda evil things he did, considering that he was high priest of LG deity.

I also believe that thing little girl saw at the end was sunrise.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2014 :  13:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Madpig!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2014 :  19:28:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question though doesn't Nobion have wings? Did he lose them?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2014 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If he did have them before, The obviously, yes, he lost them. To be 100% honest with you guys, though, in the reference where I found him, if wings were mentioned, I missed them, and nobody at WotC read the book and told me, "Hey, dummy, he's supposed to have wings."
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  15:05:51  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Malar forced him to take a wingless from and he's not yet recovered enough strength to regrow them.

Edited by - Mirtek on 23 Feb 2014 17:25:28
Go to Top of Page

Tarloc
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  04:15:43  Show Profile Send Tarloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
glad to have you back after prophet of the dead. That book seemed to have been cut short or crammed. Not the typical rlb awesomeness. The reaver definately showed me you are back. Anton was the perfect anti-hero. And stedd was a great portrayal of the child chosen. Cant wait for your next realms trilogy or saga to come through.

"hey, you just rolled two natural twenties!"
"is that a touchdown?"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  14:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Tarloc!
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:26:57  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was confused as to when one of the lions attacked his claws were referred as talons which made me believe he was a griffon....

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just trying to find a synonym to avoid saying "claws" over and over again without a break.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  17:39:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I normally can't stand child characters, but I liked Stedd for some reason. Liked him in Erin's book and liked him in yours. Although ever since I saw that video of Erin doing Stedd's voice during a reading of her book I picture her voice as Stedd in my head when ever Stedd speaks even when reading your book :D
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  18:02:02  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just trying to find a synonym to avoid saying "claws" over and over again without a break.

LOL. OK makes sense.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  19:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked Stedd, Gyor. I tend to feel more sure of myself writing adult characters, but the general consensus seems to be that Stedd came out okay.
Go to Top of Page

shorac
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  19:27:29  Show Profile Send shorac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you planning to continue this storyline ? or go back to the BoTG series .. I would personally like to see both ... great writing Mr. Byers keep it up the realms need you...

.......<creator>....
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2014 :  02:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, shorac!

I would like to continue with both the Reaver characters and the Brotherhood of the Griffon characters. But it's all contingent on what Wizards of the Coast wants me to do. Fingers crossed that they will want me to do something. I'm waiting for them to offer me a new contract.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000