Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reaver review spoilers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 08 Feb 2014 : 18:36:50
It was a great novel. Anton had a surprisingly good sense of humour. Stedd was still likable. Umara was cool, nice to see the red wizard not obsessed with necromancy in the current Thay.

One of my favourite parts was seeing Nobion in action and liberated from his prison of blue fire and Malar's influence. I'm sure he will regain his power now and rejoin the Pantheon. And howfully his wings.

I'm guess the inner sea has its previous boarder restored, along with other alterations.

I was disappointed that the novel didn't cover Mulhorand's return at all, although I suspect that the Splendid sight the little girl noticed in the epilogue may have been Mulhorand returning, its goes unspecified leaving it a bit of a cliff hanger.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord of Bones Posted - 16 May 2014 : 09:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

jordanz: If memory serves, there is a third aspect to the sun god, but I'm vague on what it is. Maybe one of the Realms scholars here can tell us.

shorac: Anton's story will continue if WotC wants it to. I'm waiting to hear one way or the other.

The tripartite idea was initially put out there by Eric L. Boyd if I recall. Lathander was the dawn, Amaunator the noonday sun, Myrkul the dusk. Jergal was the dusk until the saw the end of dusk approaching with the rise of Lathander, hence his imparting the portfolio to Myrkul.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 16 May 2014 : 01:50:26
Well, I certainly love those characters, and with luck, perhaps you'll see more of them.
jornan Posted - 16 May 2014 : 00:37:59
Thanks for the response Richard, I think you might have explained that to me previously once already and after having just read the book the same question was fresh in my memory. Perhaps I'm just disappointed that the Brotherhood of the Griffon books seem to be in limbo and if I was going to read one last RLB Realms book, I would wanted it to have been about that story arc. I've been a Realms fan for going on 20 years now and BotG has become one of the series that I looked forward to reading each new installment the most each year.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 May 2014 : 21:35:11
I used new characters because I didn't feel that PROPHET OF THE DEAD left the Brotherhood of the Griffon characters in a convenient, logical situation from which to get involved in the Stedd/Evendur conflict. I thought that I'd rather continue them on what felt like a natural, plausible, unforced trajectory. (Remember that by preference, they're an army, not a navy.)

If I do write more Realms books, you may certainly see the two groups of characters meet one another eventually. Of course, Anton is currently headed for Thay, and that's the last place in the world that Aoth wants to return to. But it could still happen.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 15 May 2014 : 20:17:32
I agree Jornan! Wizards needs to get on it!
jornan Posted - 15 May 2014 : 20:04:42
Finally finished The Reaver. Overall I felt like it was a good story and it was interesting to see some of the changes to the Realms like the Sea of Fallen Stars filling up again and Lathander coming back. I LOVE RLB books, but this one didn't capture my attention as much as the Brotherhood books have.

For me, it felt rushed compared to the other Sundering books. In the previous three books, Salvatore, Kemp, and Evans were able to tell Sundering stories with previously established characters and I think that worked to their advantage as more time could be spent further developing the characters, fleshing out the main plot and explaining the Sundering.

That being said, I really enjoyed seeing Chosen of Gods that we have not seen chosen in the past and having a perspective of a Red Wizard like Umara and her views to modern day Thay was very interesting.

I also loved the idea of Anton being a "fallen" soldier/sailor who became a pirate because of a very believable back-story, not just because he was an evil pirate.

Richard, is there a story behind choosing to write about new characters rather than incorporating The Brotherhood of the Griffon into the Sundering event? Many of of the plot points, could have translated into a Brotherhood story. Cera could have been a connection to Lathander and the Brotherhood could have been hired (on either side of the Stedd protection/search) and the Red Wizard plot with Umara still could have easily been fit in, and fittingly so, given Aoth's past.

Which begs the question, are there so many near connections between these two stories because the seeds are being planted to cross them over eventually?

-Cera now High Priestess of Aumanator and Stedd a Chosen of Lathander and the clash in the ranks of the Church over this development.
-Umara, Red Wizard from an "Old" Thayan family who may want to make changes to Zass Tam's current undead regime and Aoth Fezim. Thayn ex-pat from the "Old" Thay and sword for hire.
-Anton is a perfect fit for the Brotherhood. He, like Aoth is a sword for hire in a sense and has made decisions based more on profit than moral obligations. Having a naval captain and possible sea contingent to the Brotherhood would also expand the scope of that army for hire. Imagine a naval battle where one of the ships has a contingent of Griffon Riders (some armed with magic) that could scout and battle from the air or any direction.

....So what is WotC waiting for? Contract the book already.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 18 Mar 2014 : 01:30:15
jordanz: If memory serves, there is a third aspect to the sun god, but I'm vague on what it is. Maybe one of the Realms scholars here can tell us.

shorac: Anton's story will continue if WotC wants it to. I'm waiting to hear one way or the other.
shorac Posted - 18 Mar 2014 : 00:59:23
Really loved this book Anton is my new favorite character I hope you continue his story Mr.byers he is such a badass and rich character you can't help but love the guy..
jordanz Posted - 18 Mar 2014 : 00:13:33
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Lathander and Amaunator are aspects of the same diety yes, they coraspond to different phases of Sun. Lathander is the dawn and Amaunator is noon.

And yes its explained in the book.

@Richard Lee Byers, was I right about the ending of your book and Mulhorand's return? Or was the little girl looking at something else?

Then that leads to the following question, is there a Dusk aspect?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 11 Mar 2014 : 17:53:54
Glad you enjoyed it, shorac!
shorac Posted - 11 Mar 2014 : 17:04:35
I hope we see more of Anton, Umara and Stedd.... loved the book ,its def one of my new favorites )....
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 11 Mar 2014 : 01:29:40
I hope you'll see more Anton. It all depends on what WotC decides to do. I'm eager to continue if they'll go for it.
shorac Posted - 10 Mar 2014 : 22:03:42
more Anton..... love the character...
Dennis Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 12:54:06

I second the crossover, even if it's just Umara.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 00:32:15
I think they could definitely cross over eventually. That would not be the next story involving either set of characters, though. I know (in general terms) what the next adventure should be for group, and those plots wouldn't involve them ending up in the same place at the same time.
phranctoast Posted - 04 Mar 2014 : 16:59:03
Could there be any chance of character cross overs between Brotherhood and the Reaver? I could see Umara and Anton joining the BOTG...
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 04 Mar 2014 : 02:26:19
Glad you liked it, shorac!

I would like to continue with both the Reaver characters and the Brotherhood of the Griffon characters. But it's all contingent on what Wizards of the Coast wants me to do. Fingers crossed that they will want me to do something. I'm waiting for them to offer me a new contract.
shorac Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 19:27:29
are you planning to continue this storyline ? or go back to the BoTG series .. I would personally like to see both ... great writing Mr. Byers keep it up the realms need you...
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 19:00:35
Glad you liked Stedd, Gyor. I tend to feel more sure of myself writing adult characters, but the general consensus seems to be that Stedd came out okay.
phranctoast Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 18:02:02
quote:
Just trying to find a synonym to avoid saying "claws" over and over again without a break.

LOL. OK makes sense.
Gyor Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 17:39:17
I normally can't stand child characters, but I liked Stedd for some reason. Liked him in Erin's book and liked him in yours. Although ever since I saw that video of Erin doing Stedd's voice during a reading of her book I picture her voice as Stedd in my head when ever Stedd speaks even when reading your book :D
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 15:37:11
Just trying to find a synonym to avoid saying "claws" over and over again without a break.
phranctoast Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 15:26:57
I was confused as to when one of the lions attacked his claws were referred as talons which made me believe he was a griffon....
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 14:17:01
Glad you liked it, Tarloc!
Tarloc Posted - 26 Feb 2014 : 04:15:43
glad to have you back after prophet of the dead. That book seemed to have been cut short or crammed. Not the typical rlb awesomeness. The reaver definately showed me you are back. Anton was the perfect anti-hero. And stedd was a great portrayal of the child chosen. Cant wait for your next realms trilogy or saga to come through.
Mirtek Posted - 23 Feb 2014 : 15:05:51
Maybe Malar forced him to take a wingless from and he's not yet recovered enough strength to regrow them.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 21:48:32
If he did have them before, The obviously, yes, he lost them. To be 100% honest with you guys, though, in the reference where I found him, if wings were mentioned, I missed them, and nobody at WotC read the book and told me, "Hey, dummy, he's supposed to have wings."
Gyor Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 19:28:13
One question though doesn't Nobion have wings? Did he lose them?
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 17 Feb 2014 : 13:41:20
Glad you liked it, Madpig!
Madpig Posted - 17 Feb 2014 : 07:18:26
I liked this book a lot! Pirates are always nice thing to have. But only small thing bugs me. Part with Amanautor's high priest. Kinda evil things he did, considering that he was high priest of LG deity.

I also believe that thing little girl saw at the end was sunrise.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000