Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Finders Stone Trilogy: When?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the consensus on the Finders Stone Trilogy dates. The Wyvern's Spur clearly sets the date as of 1331 and the Song of the Saurials takes place about a year later. However, Song of the Saurials dates itself to the Year of Shadows. I am sure this has been addressed before, but I wanted to know what the "official" ruling was. I am more inclined to place them as originally written (ie the 1330's).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  14:42:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, Azure Bonds is in 1357, The Wyvern's Spur in 1358 before the Time of Troubles, and Song of the Saurials is the same year, but after the Time of Troubles.

The apparent discrepancy with the books is because the dates in the books are in Cormyr Reckoning, instead of Dalereckoning.

When The Grand History of the Realms, there was an excerpt published on the Wizards site... The original link is now gone, but I still have the info handy. So I'm sharing that here, to make things a bit easier for you.

quote:
Calendar Conversions

One notable feature of the timeline that the expert Faerūnian historian will notice is that we've expressed all the years in the current Dalereckoning (DR) notation. Different cultures in the Realms have used different calendars, and reconciling them has often caused sages much difficulty. See the following notes to convert DR dates to some other calendar.

Dalereckoning (DR): This human-centered calendar has become the standard way of expressing dates. Dalereckoning was established in the Year of Sunrise when men were first permitted by elves to settle in the more open regions of Cormanthor. It is also called Freeman's Reckoning.

Cormyr Reckoning (CR): This calendar starts at the founding of Cormyr by the Obarskyr Dynasty (26 DR). The use of two close but not identical calendars in the same geographic area causes historians and sages much confusion. To convert between dates you might find in other sources: DR - 25 = CR or CR + 25 = DR.

Northreckoning (NR): The calendar used throughout the city of Waterdeep, the Silver Marches, and the North. DR - 1032 = NR or NR + 1032 = DR.

Waterdeep Year (WY): Archaic Waterdeep calendar, no longer used.

Netheril Year (NY): Calendar used by the lost empire of Netheril, stemming from the Alliance of Seventon. DR + 3859 = NY or NY - 3859 = DR.

Shou Calendar: The people of Shou Lung mark the ascendancy of Nung Fu as the start of their empire's calendar. DR + 1250 = Shou Year or Shou Year - 1250 = DR.

Wa Calendar: Calendar used by the island nation of Wa in the Eastern Realms. DR + 418 = Wa Year or Wa Year - 418 = DR.

Mulhorand Calendar (MC): Ancient calendar dating from the founding of Skuld. DR + 2134 = MC or MC - 2134 = DR.

Untheric Calendar (UC): Established after the ascendancy of Gilgeam as god-king of Unther. DR + 735 = UC or UC - 735 = DR.

Aryselmalyr Calendar: Archaic calendar used by the undersea elves of Aryselmalyr at the empire's founding. DR + 11004 = AC or AC - 11004 = DR.

Timesong Calendar (TS): Calendar established at Myth Nantar and used today by most undersea inhabitants of Serōs. DR + 70 = TS or TS - 70 = TS.

Present Reckoning (PR): A newer calendar that dates the Time of Troubles as Year 0. DR - 1358 = PR or PR + 1358 = DR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000