Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tyranny of Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Thorn Illance
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  03:37:28  Show Profile Send Thorn Illance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading a bunch of old posts here at the Keep re: RSEs, I think it's pretty obvious that "Tyranny of Dragons" will be very similar to "Rise of the Underdark"; it's a marketing event that will be Dragon-centric.

Anyone even know what the Realms-shaking consequences of RotU were? There were none. Hell, Irvin's book, "Demon Weave", was apparently cancelled. Johnson's "Spider and Stone" hardly garnered any discussion.

I think Brian's OP was meant to stir the hive. Unfortunately, there is a very small, effectively marginal group of fans who just can't wait to poo-poo everything Wizards does.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  05:01:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Temple reminds me of the Twisted Temple of Istar from Dragonlance.

Viking type Longships are common in the Swordcoast...from the Moonshae Isles to Luskan, these ships are used by many. I think they are viable as a navy for the sorts of lightning raids they are talking about.

So far I will wait and see...but I'm hearing "Dragonlance" in my head right now, and I'm sure Laura and Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss are sure to see the similarity as well!

I have one thing here that will pretty much remove me from the Realms if they do it: if all the Good Dragons stay out of it because the evil dragons have stolen their eggs...I swear to all that is unholy or holy that I will leave the Realms behind.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  20:06:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have one thing here that will pretty much remove me from the Realms if they do it: if all the Good Dragons stay out of it because the evil dragons have stolen their eggs...I swear to all that is unholy or holy that I will leave the Realms behind.

I'm sure they wont go that route but I think I would be right behind you if they went that far with it. In fact, the similarities likely need to stop where they are...anything more would be a bit much.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  21:35:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The Temple reminds me of the Twisted Temple of Istar from Dragonlance.

Viking type Longships are common in the Swordcoast...from the Moonshae Isles to Luskan, these ships are used by many. I think they are viable as a navy for the sorts of lightning raids they are talking about.

So far I will wait and see...but I'm hearing "Dragonlance" in my head right now, and I'm sure Laura and Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss are sure to see the similarity as well!

Those Longships are common in the Swordcoast but the word 'Viking' as far as I know doesn't exist in the Realms. I see the word 'viking' it pulls me out of the game. Unless it was intentional. Tiamat opened a portal up to Earths past for example. As for the Dragonlance theme, well in the annotated Dragonlance Chronicles the age old question about Takhisis and Tiamat being the one and the same was unofficially answered. Maybe someone at WotC decided to make it Grubb-official.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  21:45:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the use of the word Viking was not intended in-setting. That's a press release, more than anything. Most of the press wouldn't know the difference between a hobbit and a hole in the ground, so WotC simplified it for them.

Note also the use of the phrase "Forgotten Realms" -- to the inhabitants, it's not at all forgotten, and is just called the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GreyhawkGrognard
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  15:27:02  Show Profile  Visit GreyhawkGrognard's Homepage Send GreyhawkGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Apparently two things sell really well for WotC: dragons and drow. On that basis, and considering their skeleton crew these days, I can understand from a business perspective simply going back to an old well rather than trying to thing of something more creative.

Bear in mind that these adventure modules are apparently being written by a freelancer, Steve Winter:

At the moment, however, I'm writing the first set of adventures that will be published for D&D Next -- Tyranny of Dragons, look for it this summer -- and I'm behind on my deadline (I'm always behind on one deadline or another, it seems).

Source: http://www.howlingtower.com/2014/01/happy-40th-birthday-d.html
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  15:35:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met GreyhawkGrognard...I did not realize you were a lurker at Candlekeep!

Does anyone know anything about Steve Winter?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  21:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll restrain my comment on this development to this: "GROAN"
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  21:30:08  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach
Does anyone know anything about Steve Winter?

Is he this Steve Winter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Winter
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  21:31:00  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve Winter is currently a freelancer, but he was a long-time staff at TSR (started 1981) and later WotC. He was let go from his position December 2011 (typical winter layoffs).

As he said in his blog post for the 40th Anniversary of D&D, "I've been neck-deep in D&D for 36 of those 40 years, and for 33 of them I've earned my living from it."

He was an editor of many products in the 1st and 2nd Edition line, this continued through 3E and well into 4E.

He's credited as co-creator of the Marvel Super Heroes Game (Wiki: Jeff Grubb designed both editions, and Steve Winter wrote both editions). Editor for Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, World of Greyhawk, Top Secret and I think some of Boot Hill (going by internet sites, but I'm sure if you crack open the covers of these products you'll see his name in them).

He designed the Complete Psionics Handbook (2E), Historical Reference: A Mighty Fortress (2E), and for 3E he designed Monsters Manual II and Lords of Madness.

For the Realms, he co-wrote the Ruins of Adventure, which would become the Pool of Radiance computer game.

He is the current editor of Dragon Magazine (DDI).

We can add designer of Tyranny of Dragons to his extensive list of credits.

Edit: Sniped by Demzer. Yeah, I'm quite certain that's the Steve Winter we're talking about.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 28 Jan 2014 21:33:36
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  01:29:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being laid off after that long with the company had to suck. Of course, I dunno what the inner workings of the company were at the time...there's been much speculation on the matter.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000