Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Watchful Order of Waterdeep..satellite groups?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  11:58:42  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,
The Watchful Order of Waterdeep...is there any reference to it extending it's power, oversight or relationship to other cities on Faerun, possibly south to Baldur's Gate?

Alternatively, why does Baldur's Gate not have a mage guild? Or does it?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  13:33:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate has a huge mercenary company there. Presumably, most mages with any kind of militant bent would be part of that organization. Of the other mages, well, why do they NEED a guild? If the government isn't pressing some kind of rules on the wizards, why setup a guild where certain members gain political power over its members just for leading the guild. They may be just fine with letting the free market set rates for components, the selling of wizard's librams, and the selling of magic items, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  16:06:58  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Watchful Order is specific to Waterdeep but there are other guilds throughout Faerun (though 'guild' may not be the best word to use in many [if not most] cases, cabal might be a better word for it).

By the way, hail and well met scuda!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  18:13:37  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for having me!

Mages need guilds/factions/cabals for...many things. But shush...it is a need-to-know basis. ;-0

"The Watchful Order provides many benefits to members, including forums for arranging instruction and trading in magical information, the sale of rare material components from the golem-guarded cellars of the Tower of the Order, and a market for the buying and selling of spellcasting services, scrolls, and minor magic items. In addition, members of the guild can find regular employ as fire guards and spell guards. The Watchful Order contracts with building owners across the city to respond to fires with summoned water elementals, keeping half a dozen or so fire guards on duty every day. The guild also contracts with paranoid individuals of means to provide spell guards skilled in detecting and countering hostile workings of the Art."

The above quote is something that gives reason to a mage guild, I think. I have a group of people that think the structure of the Watchful Order is perfect for what they want to build in a mage guild, and considering the adventures take place within Baldur's Gate, the question then is how much of a stretch is it to have this group of mages be from the Watchful Order, but active in the Gate. Like, a satellite group, with their own agenda, but essentially under the Leadership of the head organization in Waterdeep.

Would they be seen as ambassadors...or spies? Considering both Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate are members of the Lord's Alliance, a DM could come up with many reasons to great links for both the Watchful Order, this satellite group, and the cities themselves.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  21:55:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There would be a good number of mages loyal to the Gate as members, likely they wouldn't be too concerned with spies. Besides, if they were spies having a guild gives the authorities a starting point for investigations (and a place to watch when not investigating). I also doubt the Gate would be concerned with Waterdeep being enemies anyway.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  22:46:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see Baldur's Gate having their own organization, similar to the Watchful Order... But I don't see any reason for the two to be connected. Any city-state/nation wanting to do that is going to want loyal, resident mages -- not outlander mages who may have their own agenda, even if from an allied nation.

Further, even if the Watchful Order did decide to spin off a Baldur's Gate branch, there is nothing to keep those mages in the Gate from going native. Even in the real world, it's not uncommon for someone to be sent to a foreign nation, for either military, diplomatic, or business reasons, and decide to stay there permanently. I should think this even more likely in a world where non-magical long-distance travel and communications are limited and slow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  00:52:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They might have 'reciprocal rights' with similar organizations but are definitely Waterdeep specific.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  15:48:21  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought would be that a satellite group of Watchful Order came or was ordered to Baldur's Gate under a certain "magical item recovery" pretense, but as was suggested already, having taken refuge or temporary lodging in the Gate, the group found reason to plant themselves there...considering Baldur's Gate has many an open as well as mysterious loner Mages...and those from a Magists perspective would want to "oversee" the use of magic, in such a place.

Within my group of like-minded players, we enjoy the connection to FR lore—in reference to the Waterdeep Watchful Order—but want to be active in the region of Baldur's Gate. So yes, it would be "going native," becoming residents, over time (especially if more players join the faction).

I am glad to be able to "check in" with you Lore masters, as it seems not too far fetched an idea! Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  16:12:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the watchful order as a guild, more as an organization that is in service to Waterdeep, similar groups across faerun are: Spellgaurd of Silverymoon and the warwizards of Cormyr.

AS noted, Baldur's Gate has a mercenary organization as its Standing guard. The Flaming Fist could have wizards and sorcerers in its ranks.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000