Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  04:20:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

For me phaerim were created as a living weapon against mages not a race content to enter voluntary isolation.

If so, they were created before the dragons' era. Elves weren't worth this much effort until later, it was the time of elder Creator Races. Since they fought with the Sarrukh, maybe that was the whole point, though not necessarily.
But if they are artificial, who made them?
Batrachi? The Phaerimm dont like water much... but then, could have designed this as a safeguard.
Or maybe... the Aearee? While the Phaerimm look like worms, they speak via wind control, move by flying when possible, even on short distance...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  11:43:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reason why a lone elf couldn't have accidentally ended up on toril before the others and the batrachi saw a threat in this type of life form that others didn't thus they recreated phaerimm to hunt these humanoids and that's where the injecting stinger comes from
Oh and the batrachi lived on land (their ancestors were aquatic) so the liking or disliking water of phaerimm doesn't matter.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  13:41:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

No reason why a lone elf couldn't have accidentally ended up on toril before the others and the batrachi saw a threat in this type of life form that others didn't thus they recreated phaerimm to hunt these humanoids and that's where the injecting stinger comes from
Oh and the batrachi lived on land (their ancestors were aquatic) so the liking or disliking water of phaerimm doesn't matter.

You're suggesting they saw a lone individual as such a threat that they created an entire race to hunt down the one guy and his absent kin, against the possibility of more of them showing up?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  17:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

For me phaerim were created as a living weapon against mages not a race content to enter voluntary isolation.

If so, they were created before the dragons' era. Elves weren't worth this much effort until later, it was the time of elder Creator Races. Since they fought with the Sarrukh, maybe that was the whole point, though not necessarily.
But if they are artificial, who made them?
Batrachi? The Phaerimm dont like water much... but then, could have designed this as a safeguard.
Or maybe... the Aearee? While the Phaerimm look like worms, they speak via wind control, move by flying when possible, even on short distance...

In my version phaerim (Fae'rim) were created by Batrachi to battle fey creatures mainly eldarin, elves, gnomes, ... later they were also used against northern Sarrukh of Isstossefil who specialized in magic. Their movement can be described as swimming through air - a very handy ability to hunt down fey in the forest. I am not aware that it is stated somewhere that phaerim do not like water but it might be a safeguard as you said.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  20:46:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're suggesting they saw a lone individual as such a threat that they created an entire race to hunt down the one guy and his absent kin, against the possibility of more of them showing up?

Sure why not. There isn't much you couldn't make plausible with a little bit of creative thinking.

I'd imagine a group as powerful as the batrachi performed a bit of magic to divine the nature of these humanoid creatures. They saw visions of the death of the batrachi empires and then they saw visions of the elves and their control of the entire continent for 10000 years (far longer than the creator races). They saw them work mighty magics that rivalled their own and more importantly they saw them carve off a piece of Toril with magic that extended far into the future and the past. In that moment they realised who had destroyed the batrachi empires under the sea long ago and forced them onto the land.

They realised the elves must be destroyed and so created the ultimate weapon (using secrets from the baetith) to destroy their future enemy. Unfortunately the batrachi destroyed almost every one of their creations when the tearfall smacked into the inner seas and killed them.

Yes its a little bit far fetched but what does that matter if you really want to make a new variant of phaerimm that has the sole purpose of hunting down and destroying elves.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  10:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not see the need for such far fetched story as this make sense to me without it. There is no clear information about creation of Phaerim. We could presume they are pretty old. Batrachi were one of the creator races as were Fey. They could be enemies very easily. Fey are magic heavy and physicaly frail. Phaerim uses dominated cannon foddder and their own magical abilities to defeat such foes that suggest a reason behind this tactics. They are not mammal, reptile or birds so Batrachi origin is feasible. They look like mutated large leeches that actualy supports this theory. Their known targets were Sarrukh studying magic and later Netheries - human magocracy. Both seems like similar targets.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  11:10:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is timing. The sarrukh empires had largely died out by the time the batrachi appeared and the phaerimm were battling the sarrukh then so a batrachi creation myth creates a time paradox

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  15:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both empire ended simultaneously due to appearance of Tearfall. Sarrukh empire was dwindling sooner but still existant and as Batrachi are water based I believe that they only came later to land and existed simultaneously with sarrukh in seas. GHotR only states rise of empire not creation of the race. End of Isstossefil might be the opening that won batrachi their ticket to land occupation as other empires of sarrukh already dwindled.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  10:47:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone care to speculate as to the arrival of the rengarth in the netheril basin?

Im wondering how many times is too many for the phaerimm to appear in history. I think i might have a history involving the rengarth

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  14:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as phaerims had been clearly present even before that there is no problem with inventing another appearance during rengarth migration. What have you in mind?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  14:24:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sarrukh weapon designed to kill phaerimm that is found and attracts the attention of the phaerimm. Cue attacks upon the rengarth until a brave warrior ventures forth to defeat them never to be seen again.
This weapon can then be found in the hands of a famous netherese renegade much later and form the basis for the magic drain spells.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  23:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone care to speculate as to the arrival of the rengarth in the netheril basin?

Im wondering how many times is too many for the phaerimm to appear in history. I think i might have a history involving the rengarth

As to the arrival of rengarth: there were clear signs that even before netheril there were humans in those lands (-4300 realm of Thaeravel was founded). Depending on given origin story this migh be very near as population in Seventon seems to by only few villages. In my take they are the remnant of great migration from Endless wastes (later Tuigian territory) that got them through Unaproachable East lands (Narfell,Vaasa) and Moonsea into Netheril basin and most of them continued West to the North region. This could have easily taken century to cross as they had to move slowly and fight through a lot of enemies on the way. Given unhospitability of those crossed lands it could be understood why lot of those migrants continued further (I have also added their leader Urthgard who lead them in this exodus and who later ascended to godhood).

Therefore I would guess that those barbarians settling in Netheril basin arrived around year -4000 DR as around -3900 Nether the Elder was born. Timing nicely fits with Imaskari expansion following their abduction of Mulan slaves in -4300 DR (BTW I have just noticed that Imaskari were forced to this by terrible plague that decimated their own population).
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  00:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have also found mention in GHotR about settlement of the first wave of this exodus in Rashemen in -5000 DR naming this land and its people Rashemi after their chieftain Shemen and that they arrived from the East. This would however put start of this a thousand years back and it seems to me too long for this trip (those people will have no real memory about even a half of this trip) so for me this will be only a smaller precursor of the later migration or possibly a different tribe.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  10:15:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that you appear to be associating the rengarth barbarians with the same racial stock as the netherese.

I was initially linking the netherese to far eastern migrant but have since settled for middle ground and put in hints to several different origin stories (one including a famous citadel which has been used as proof of human civilisation in the north prior to netheril.

The rengarth however i have always considered of separate racial stock and pegged them as an ulou race which dominates the northern lands until forced out by other cultures.

I suppose i should look to the dates of prior ulou migrations. Im thinking after -10000 dr but not sure by how far.

At the moment the entire netherese basin is devoid of history from the moment the sarrukh of istosseffifil fall until the founding of ilodhar. I think a few more events are needed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  22:00:51  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read some discussions here at candlekeep about different races and their migrations but it seemed too complicated to me. In my book almost all human civilisations started at first around middle of Faerun/Kara-Tur/Zakhara (same as dwarves) and spread to different directions. Planar settlers came at different spots and build from there (notably elves). Another exception were Calim and Memnon who lead colonists from Zakhara to later Calimshan and Imaskari who abducted Zakharan slaves for their Empire. Further down in history I have humans displaced by will of Sarrukh,Batrachi and dragons who used them as slaves for their empires also. So there should be some stock of humans around Istosseffifil left after its fall (Talfiric?) who could be a source for Thaeravel. All northern barbarians are of the same stock as I wrote above (there are too many striking similarities for me between western and eastern barbarians of the north to be only coincidence). They should migrate under the line of Great glacier at that time as there was minimal opposition to their movement. They are originaly all nomadic hunters with horses venerating nature gods and spirits.

Famous citadel is too great feat for those nomads and in my book it was created by giant empire there (same as Ironfang keep) to protect its people against dragons (it fits the time period and we know they had been able to build such things).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  11:38:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i picked some dates out of thin air and dwarves settle beneath Ranar's Rock in what will become the anauroch basin around -7000 dr. I figure they come from sarphil.
They have a brief period of prosperity (albeit marred by warring with the goblinoids that destroyed ilodhar) after uniting with gnomes. Then they dwindle until their final destruction around -5500 dr.

Helm of House Anarok had his ancestors from here (xxx of Ranar's Rock became Anarok) which moved on to Oghrann and then other dwarf kingdoms in the north.

The Rengarth appeared around -5500 dr. That might make them part of the ulou people that formed the ice hunter tribes that began occupying the lands of illefarn as it receded around -4500 dr.

Not sure if i should make this earlier as i dont know if it should be earlier as i dont know how long humans had roamed the northern wilds (although id imagine not long since it was the site of many large elven and dwarven empires and was overrun by orcs on a regular basis - not exactly the right conditions for picking a home)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't noticed that you have asked about dwarves also... they could have settled nearby mountains even further in the past but Sarphil was located on the East of Anauroch. You mentioned that first contact with dwarves should be from Ascore's Western side of Netheril.
Oghrann was to the South where you mentioned your netheries haven't ventured for some time.

I am not sure if it is intentional but I like the similarity between house of Anarok and later name of Anauroch for this basin.
If I understand it right you are placing the origin of those barbarians on the West (Illefarn) side so you are using different version than mine. Than there will be also a different timing than I suggested.
As you have mentioned in Western heartlands were many elven and dwarven kingdoms that did not cooperated or used humans so there is hardly a place for them to live in easily (most of the area is forested=elven land). That is also a reason I used Eastern origin - there is much more space for other races to exist, multiply and migrate from.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  17:48:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im placing the origin of the rengarth firmly in the east (in kara tur) because that is where the ulou people originate from. The rengarth are part of the same migration that brought the ice hunters to the north and they are of the same racial stock as the ulutiuns which migrated from northern kara tur to the great glacier but did so a few millennia after the rengarth.

I however am not personally placing the netherese as eastern origin that is just one possibility that im leaving open.

As for the dwarves. The link between anarok and anauroch is already there in dwarves deep, i am just expanding upon it and linking it to the origin of the name anauroch in giantcraft.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  20:21:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So heres a question or two that im pondering.

How big is the basin that netheril occupied. I had a quick glance at the map in the arcane age boxed set and it looked like the narrow sea was 300 miles wide (ish), which i think is as wide as britain is long.
Do people consider that large for a lake, i think an area about the size of france is big enough for netheril. Im just trying to get an idea of scale for travel etc.
Can people check on other maps and let me know how big anauroch is pretty please (digital copies are poor for checking distances when they are split over many pages).

The next question is about horses. Do people think netheril had horses and why.

I can find a handful of mentions about horses in the netheril boxed set but that work lacked imagination. I think one of the reasons for flying enclaves could have been a transport issue and lack of horses might be the cause.

Horses are famed in the shaar, the hordelands, narfell. These are old breeds and well established. There are newer breeds in the dalelands etc but these lands have only been settled after the fall of netheril.
I have a quote of horse nomads from the vilhon reach settling in the sunset vale and that has me thinking whether the horse was introduced into the north after the fall of jhaamdath.
Elves and dwarves have little need for horses and they dominated the north until after netherils fall.

So working theory is horses came from imaskar lands. They were spread to the hordelanda and kara tur. Maybe imaskari or unther brought them to the shaar. Unther brought them to the vilhon reach. Jhaamdaths fall spread them north.

Of course they may have been multiple spreadings from small pockets (like humans) and so they could also have come from calimshan to jhaamdath and then north after its fall.

Thus the horse spread across faerun with human migrations but the north was one of the last areas.

Any thoughts. Any horsey themed quotes from history in the north?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:21:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think one of the reasons for flying enclaves could have been a transport issue and lack of horses might be the cause.

I should think it would be easier to get a few horses than to lop off a mountain top and make it fly.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:27:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but if you have no horses and no idea that they even exist then being able to fly is easier and faster than walking or sailing.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:48:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes but if you have no horses and no idea that they even exist then being able to fly is easier and faster than walking or sailing.

Even if you somehow have no idea that horses exist, there are still far more efficient means of transport than floating mountaintops. Gates, teleports, conjured/created flying critters, captured/modified existing flying critters, enchanted conveyances such as carts or wagons, etc...

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  00:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those barbarian tribes should at least know about horses as they came from eastern planes. It is interesting to note that as that migration continued west there are fewer and fewer horses used. It may be connected to colder climate but also to hunger :-)
As Netheril basin was green I do not see how they have not used some domesticated transport and work animals. There should be a decline as magic supported new areas of life even for commoners (especialy after Mythallars were invented) and at the hight of Netheril empire there are probably only very scant mentions of any non-magic activity.

Closest horse using nations are the Ride and orcs of Thar (I am not sure about West but there were elves mostly).

As Seventon was all around Narrow sea there was not much need for riding horses so possibly they used them only for work.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  07:44:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder can you get donkeys in places where there are no horses.
At the moment i have rothe as the work animals because they are in abundance across the north and seem well suited to be a native beast.

As for the development of transport i dont think it was straight to enclave but then i also dont hold that all enclaves are massive cities.

The netherese had direct access to the nether scrolls so their technological advancement would have been delayed or skewed to magic.

Magic items are costly to develop and summoned creatyres are short term. Congenio ioun likely developed a stone to help with transport. But as i said magic items are expensive so unsuitable to work for more than one person.
Then ioulaum comes along with his mythallar and just to test its power he sticks it on an upturned mountain top and makes it fly.
Now he can transport thousands of men and supplies and soon every mage of ability makes an enclave.
Hundreds of flying platforms (only a handful are city sized for me though). These enclaves fly all over and are paid in food and gold to deliver things along their way.

Again regarding horses i see no mention the rengarth had them. Dwarves are more likely to use donkeys. Elves strike me as just picking up any forest deer or animal nearby whem they want a ride.

The ride and the north in general is quite geograpgically isolated from the rest of faerun. Tall mountains and a massive glacier block land travel from the eastern lands. And the inner sea separates it from the southern lands. If there were horses in southern lands it seems unlikely they got north without being brought by human migrations (and the netherese were likely brought to the region by something else that needed servants - a dragon perhaps)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  11:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not forget that main advantage of Mythallar was a field powering quasi-magical items in vincinity. As it really cut the cost of those items almost everybody in Netheril could have had a magic wand, ring or trousers. Not only for combat but also Greater mage hand spell, levitation, (invisibility), those summoning spells, ... so their only problem is long range transport and there are far fewer who need that (merchant, clerics, entertainers).

BTW how would a teleport spell work if cast by quasi-magic item within one Mathallar with destination in another? Power for the spell is there so you should be able to cast it and on the other side there is another field so you can cast it back the same way... so even that should be dealt with by permanent communal teleporting circles within city proper.

So horses would be obsolete very soon and there is no need to restrict them from older eras of Netheril. There were places around from where wild horses could came from (even through elven lands) and I agree that rothe could be easily used as beasts of burden.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  11:50:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my idea for a mythallar is that it is its own mini weave and thats why it screws up elven abilities because it slowly drains magic from the weave around it to power it (also why it made the phaerimm sick)

Do quasi items are attuned to a particular mythallar and only work within that one. If you move then you need to attune to a new one. So a teleport item only works within the confines of the attuned mythallar in terms of operation and destination.

Or at least thats what my current theory is.

The main attraction of a mythallar is not the quasi magic items, that was just a byproduct. The main attraction as a mini weave is that it allows the controller to bend or even break the laws of magic imposed by the main weave.

The nether scrolls were the creation of the weave so it makes sense that its greatest secrets should include how to replicate itself.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  11:55:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the sounds of it people are none to thrilled with the idea of horse migrations mirroring people migrations and would rather they exist all across faerun

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  23:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me Weave is a power of creation made available to everybody. Current use is just a misunderstanding of original purpose it was made for. Mythallar is just a focus that intensify power in local level so it is possible to make stronger effects. I do not see why each Mythallar should be separate but it is your take of it.

As there were almost no rules regarding magic in that time I do not see how Mythallar could have made a change in that...
Horse migration make sense when it only declined over space of human (renghath) migration but it makes less change to delete them at all from certain areas.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  03:11:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From the sounds of it people are none to thrilled with the idea of horse migrations mirroring people migrations and would rather they exist all across faerun

No, it's the idea that a lack of horses makes floating mountains the only viable alternative.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  09:53:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thats alright then. The enclaves solving the transport problem is just the ultimate solution. First sea travel is used but the channel mountains caus a bottle neck. Then they try the low road but its costly to maintain. Then along comes various magics that are expensive and complicated (a gate system connecting a hundred settlements is quite difficult to calibrate and get working every time).

Finally the enclaves provide the ultimate solution since the mythallar is self sustaining. Of course the enclaves are a largely private enterprise which presents its own problems but its not unlike our government contracting out its transport requirements to a trucking company.

And as for the horses. If im right about the rengarth then they are ulou in origin which means they travelled across the great ice sea and the polar regions so if they had horses none would survive such a journey.
It doesnt really matter in the long run but it makes the north slightly different to the modern realms, and helps explain a few things about netheril and its development (which existing sources never really bothered doing).

Now does anyone have a 2nd ed campaign guide map or 3rd ed campaign guide map and wouldnt mind spending a few minutes measuring from the nether mountains to the abbey mountains, and from the icerim mountains to the stormhorns pretty please so i can get an idea of how many miles large the basin is.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page