Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  15:26:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well my idea for a mythallar is that it is its own mini weave and thats why it screws up elven abilities because it slowly drains magic from the weave around it to power it (also why it made the phaerimm sick)

You mix two mostly-unrelated issues here.
As to the main one: I asked about this, but no answer so far.
quote:

Do quasi items are attuned to a particular mythallar and only work within that one. If you move then you need to attune to a new one.

Not really. Or if they do, the adjustment was so quick and smooth that it was not noticeable as such.
Unlike e.g. an elf's magical "rooting" in a new world, which takes 50 years (per The Complete Book of Elves).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  15:45:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i rather like linking seemingly unrelated bits and then filling in the blanks.

I borrowed the attunement idea from 5e so it shouldnt take very long at all and only requires a small adjustment process to complete (like tuning in a radio). Its only a mini weave many magnitudes smaller than the real thing so it should take many magnitudes less time to complete.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  23:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where it take it's energy from if it isn't connected to Weave?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  09:00:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Wrigley i missed the last question.

As Toril is saturated in raw magic (enough to burn in ages past if a being was exposed to it. I believe this was one of the many driving forces for the creation of the weave, after all you cant have lesser servants if they die as soon as they are created).

So in the event that a mythallar is not in an area covered by the weave then it would get its power from raw magic.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  09:04:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now onto a question from me, and i realise this is way into the realms of conjecture.

Assuming in recall correctly and the Bedine came from Zakhara originally, does anyone know if there is any mention of a spellweaver like race in Zakhara.

So im thinking of any ancient ruins populated by humanoid insect people. Any mentions of mysterious ancient ones that could travel across dimensions and time.

Anyone have any information or description about a divine like being known and Nas'r.

Any info any Al Qadim fans have would be most appreciated since my resources for that region are sparse.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  20:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for insect race - Tri-Keen are living in Shaar plains so it is not so hard to imagine another step into Zakhara. I would suggest another route than Bedine (portal everybody?). Alas I am no expert in Al Quadim setting and have gone a different route for it myself.

As for mythalars and weave - I understand it that magic is the Creation power (that is why gods use it also) that is used originaly to transform and populate Toril by divine beings. It is connected to life and Ethereal plane (there are clear signs of interaction between them) - the Creation material. In ancient times magic was used more heavily in form of raw magic and Weave was a form of protection and stabilisation for the world (less and less powerful effects can get through) but that seems to be the same as you wrote. So mythallar being able to draw directly from raw magic would be a danger from Mystra's POV and probably wouldn't work.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  21:10:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not proposing a movement of insect races between the continents. Im just musing over a name that exists in two places and is quite similar.

If a certain insect resembling race existed in both places then my problem is solved because it means the name is actually how they referred to themselves rather than an individual. But since that race is almost extinct it is easy to see how people could become confused and use it to refer to a single example of that race.

And back to the weave. I have the weave come first. Mystryl comes later. The Nether scrolls began as a single set and created the weave. The scrolls were then expanded twice more and im working on the theory that the scrolls themselves impart the knowledge to create more once a student has learned enough of the secrets (enough being all of them).
Those creating a new set of scrolls may add their own rules to the weave as a benefit of doing so.

It expands a bit more upon the history of the nether scrolls and the weave but also allows me to secretly pose another conundrum while explaining another.

After all the rules of the weave did change around the fall of Netheril. I personally dislike any explanation that ends up with 'a god did it'. So im posing an alternative that will still match up with a god did it but allow for extra plot hooks.

But that all depends upon how you play the realms. Whenever i do something the gods control events and things (including the weave) no more than they can make the pcs perform an action. They cant make a pc kill someone, but through servants they can make that action more likely. For me Mystra's control over the weave is no different.

So Mythallars take magic from wherever it can. The weave is the first source but if it is absent then anything else will do.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2016 :  22:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So your Nether Scrolls are not just artefact but a source of Weave??? Wow it's a important piece of reptile skin indeed...

"if the weave is absent than anything else will do" - how about Shadow Weave? It is right there :-)

With gods I work like with CEO's - they set policies and long term strategy and if they need to make that report instead of you they will not be happy (and they will also not be in their office for those who can use it for their own benefit).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  01:03:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well my idea for a mythallar is that it is its own mini weave and thats why it screws up elven abilities because it slowly drains magic from the weave around it to power it (also why it made the phaerimm sick)

Where does it say that mythallars screw up elven abilities?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  07:08:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Netheril sourcebook page 15 in the section about the races holds the information you want George.

The idea of the Nether Scrolls actually comes from George and his awesome article on Jergal: Lord of the End of Everything.

He thankfully filled in almost every major blank i had on Netheril and then even more helpfully in the style of Ed he created a hundred more blanks for me to work with.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  22:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Where does it say that mythallars screw up elven abilities?

-- George Krashos

Elves have abilities? :-) I thought they are the ones screwing around...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  11:50:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im away from my archive right now and just had an idea. Can someone remind me how the nether scrolls are structured.

Is it 7 sets of 7 scrolls plus one spare?

Anyone else think myrjala as a name sounds a lot like a netherese device?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  16:41:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand there are 3 complete sets (as I've always theorized there should be).

IIRC, each set has 21 scrolls, but I could be wrong on that part. Netherese lore was never my strong suit.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  20:06:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This old scroll about the Nether Scrolls is worth reading, and includes a summary (by me!) of all 1E/2E/3E canon references to the Nether Scrolls.

100 Nether Scrolls. Two sets of 50 scrolls each, though nasty elves stole one full set and transformed it into a tree. Each set is divided into five basic sections of ten scrolls each. Each scroll contains "endless and endlessly changing" magic lore, more than could be known in a lifetime, sort of like Wikipedia pages are each filled with endless links to other Wikipedia pages. The Nether Scrolls are artifacts, apparently tied in some intrinsic fashion to the Weave and the Realms, many scrolls have been lost or stolen or destroyed over the ages yet they keep on magically replenishing themselves and reappearing in the oddest places.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Jan 2017 20:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  20:19:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Not the answer i was looking for but maybe the netherese were just reading them wrong.

There were seven imaskarcana i think and i like that much better.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  23:18:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that now there are three sets, as I've always theorized there should have been. Why would THREE races work on something, just to create TWO sets when they are finished?

Sounds like a war waiting to happen (and I do still think the Sarrukh turned on the other two Creatori anyway, because, ya' know... reptiles).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2017 02:48:36
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  03:26:11  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril created what they did due to human age progression. Elven High Mages are some of the most earth shattering spellcasters on Abeir Toril, but they lack the urgent, hurried, hasty desires of spellcasting as Humans do. Therefore the silly things the Netherese humans did and still do are subject to this pattern. Humans age faster and so master the art differently. Not quicker, just less patient, less wiser. The Ultra-powerful Elven High Mages have made such disasters as The FIRST sundering-ripping of Faerun that created the Inner-sea. So if the things that the Netherese do make no sense, then I just chock it up to the human pattern of learning The Art.

I say blame it all on The Nether Scrolls and be done with it. lol.

CEV
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  05:19:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Except that now there are three sets, as I've always theorized there should have been. Why would THREE races work on something, just to create TWO sets when they are finished?

I thought the third set was non-canon... Am I mistaken?

(Not disagreeing with you; I can't think of a good explanation for only two sets, either)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  07:05:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its by George Krashos so its better than canon

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  07:41:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I guess I just take anything by Krash (or Eric, or Steven, or Tom, etc) as 'canon', even if its never been written in a canon source.

My bad.

And since I've been thinking about the 'copper' set for at least a decade now, maybe I should give it its Aearee name - "Feathers of the Undying Phoenix"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  10:10:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I thought it was the Krashlore being referenced. Just wanted to make sure I'd not missed something else.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  12:02:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krashlore, i like it, could almost be a realmsian surname.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  17:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im away from my archive right now and just had an idea. Can someone remind me how the nether scrolls are structured.

Is it 7 sets of 7 scrolls plus one spare?

Anyone else think myrjala as a name sounds a lot like a netherese device?

Since you are obviously looking for sevenths... there are seven sisters :-)

myrjala sounds more arabic to me so Shining South/Zakhara/Calimshan?

BTW Krashlore is great but it would be nice to not confuse less knowledgable scribes with claiming it is canon.

Edited by - Wrigley on 16 Jan 2017 17:15:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  17:40:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

BTW Krashlore is great but it would be nice to not confuse less knowledgable scribes with claiming it is canon.

To be fair, no one specifically said his stuff was canon, and once it was realized that a mistake was made, it was point-blank stated that Krash's stuff wasn't canon.

As for me, I personally use a classification of "semicanon" for stuff like that... It's the classification I use for stuff that is really good lore from previously published Realms designers, but was not published by WotC. It's not WotC canon, but it's canon enough for me. (I don't use "fanon" for such material, because it's from past designers, not regular fans)

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  17:43:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a 'secret history' that most people are unaware, being kept by the people who did most of the late 2e/3e sourcebooks. I'd call it a 'setting bible', but it was started retroactively, so I am not sure that term fits. Maybe 'deep history' would be better.

Sometimes they are able to sneak some of this in - they were able to do that a lot in the 3e splats. But a great deal of it never sees the light of day - it just gets passed-around between the 'keepers of the history', who are constantly tweaking it and adding more stuff to it (especially when major events happen in the Realms, and some author/designer uses something that had already had an assigned 'history').

Thus, there is a 'canon behind the canon'. I've been lucky enough to see tiny pieces of it. Some of you have as well, in Krash's articles. So when it comes to those people, I would say it IS canon, but it just hasn't made it into an official source yet. Also, if something appears under Ed's banner, then its pretty-much the same thing as canon. Whats the difference between him saying it, and him taking something George (or someone else) wrote and saying, "Yes, thats exactly like it happened"?

Not sure if I understand 'canon' anyway. Its not like its set in stone - its almost as malleable as fanlore. Some guy who never read anything pertaining to FR can be hired by Hasbro tomorrow and change everything, whilst people who have studied the history intently for 30 years have no say over it. Pretty stupid, huh? What if the CEO of Hasbro has a grandson that hated Elminster and always thought he should have secretly been a lizard-person? The CEO puts his grandson in charge of WotC and that happens. End of story. 'Canon' is just fanlore written by someone lucky enough to get the right job... its meaningless.

IMO, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  17:59:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already thought of the seven sisters. It works quite nice for my idea of having mystra being a new set of nether scrolls in human skin. Seven sisters are like seven sets of scrolls (is the symbol of mystra seven stars).

And when i rewrite the ToT, that pasha in manshaka that seeks to become a god drains myrjala of power and causes the magic problems because he just tried to drain the nether scrolls

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  19:13:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There is a 'secret history' that most people are unaware, being kept by the people who did most of the late 2e/3e sourcebooks. I'd call it a 'setting bible', but it was started retroactively, so I am not sure that term fits. Maybe 'deep history' would be better.

Sometimes they are able to sneak some of this in - they were able to do that a lot in the 3e splats. But a great deal of it never sees the light of day - it just gets passed-around between the 'keepers of the history', who are constantly tweaking it and adding more stuff to it (especially when major events happen in the Realms, and some author/designer uses something that had already had an assigned 'history').

Thus, there is a 'canon behind the canon'. I've been lucky enough to see tiny pieces of it. Some of you have as well, in Krash's articles. So when it comes to those people, I would say it IS canon, but it just hasn't made it into an official source yet. Also, if something appears under Ed's banner, then its pretty-much the same thing as canon. Whats the difference between him saying it, and him taking something George (or someone else) wrote and saying, "Yes, thats exactly like it happened"?

Not sure if I understand 'canon' anyway. Its not like its set in stone - its almost as malleable as fanlore. Some guy who never read anything pertaining to FR can be hired by Hasbro tomorrow and change everything, whilst people who have studied the history intently for 30 years have no say over it. Pretty stupid, huh? What if the CEO of Hasbro has a grandson that hated Elminster and always thought he should have secretly been a lizard-person? The CEO puts his grandson in charge of WotC and that happens. End of story. 'Canon' is just fanlore written by someone lucky enough to get the right job... its meaningless.

IMO, of course.

What makes canon important is that it is what is official. It's a common starting point. Sure, it's been mangled beyond all recognition in some cases, outright ignored and disregarded in others, and flipped 180 degrees in still other cases, but no matter what they do with it, it's still the common starting point for everyone, whether they're the newest fan or a veteran author.

Obviously, we all spin our own Realms in our own ways, but canon is that place we all start spinning from.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2017 :  17:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
To be fair, no one specifically said his stuff was canon, and once it was realized that a mistake was made, it was point-blank stated that Krash's stuff wasn't canon.

As for me, I personally use a classification of "semicanon" for stuff like that... It's the classification I use for stuff that is really good lore from previously published Realms designers, but was not published by WotC. It's not WotC canon, but it's canon enough for me. (I don't use "fanon" for such material, because it's from past designers, not regular fans)

That is why I only mentioned it as a side note. In this case it was mentioned right away but many times there is a blur between canon and as you call it semicanon. For me line is on printed text and 1385DR. It is not a problem for me but someone new might get easily confused and as you also already said printed text is a common ground for us all and those halls are treasure trove for all lore seekers.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  13:08:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think i'll repurpose this thread as my reimagining of Netheril.

Working from the First Age again, trying not to invalidate anything.

So a few things that i found in canon that simply cannot work as is.

Number one is -3839 DR, Eaerlann initiates trade with Netheril. Now in -3839 DR, Netheril was little more than 7 fishing villages on the far side of the Narrow Sea. It had not had any meaningful contact with the Rengarth yet, let alone elves a thousand miles away in the depths of one of the biggest surviving forests in Faerun.

Remember at this time Netheril was not a nation of amazing archmages, in fact it is likely they had not developed magic beyond a few primitive spells and some shamanistic hedgelore. While the Weave might have existed at this time, the assumption is that you need to know how to use it in order to become accomplished with this type of magic (they dont learn about this until after meeting the elves of Eaerlann, presumably).

So rather than accept a clearly incorrect statement at face value, how can this be made at least partially true, without rewriting the laws of time, space, and geography.

My initial thought is that the elves travelled all the way from Eaerlann to Netheril, and that Netheril had no idea where or what Eaerlann was. Perhaps the Eaerlanni did not intend to travel to Netheril, or perhaps did not intend to travel to Netheril exclusively (perhaps they were on their way to elsewhere - like Cormanthor, Rystall Wood, Uvaeren).

Is there a portal network connecting Eaerlann and Cormanthyr. The gnomes used a portal network to escape Netheril and i think the implication is that portals were created for them, but perhaps some of the portals already existed. In the aftermath of the Crown Wars there seems to me that there would have been a rise of good feeling among the surviving elven nations (fostered by the emergent Elven Court) and this might have resulted in portals between realms so that they could keep in contact and prevent isolationism rearing its ugly head once again.

Just a thought. Trade relations between Eaerlann and Netheril are not impossible (just unlikely), and perhaps it was a one off visit with the promise of more in the future.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  13:20:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also read this quote and suddenly gleaned new insight

quote:
–3770 DR The dwarf realm of Oghrann [–5125] falls. Beset on all sides by enemies—lizardfolk, nomadic human tribes, wemics, and the usual bugbears, trolls, and goblinkin races—the realm was swept away by disease and war even before the dwarves’ more northerly kingdoms fell.

Now the quote specifically mentioned the realm of Oghrann was beset by nomadic human tribes.

Given that Oghrann was situated beneath the Plains of Tun, the Farsea Marsh, the Marsh of Tun, etc, the nearest group of warlike and nomadic human tribes that i know of would be the Rengarth. I'm not saying that the Rengarth attacked and destroyed Oghrann but i can easily imagine the Rengarth attacking what they might see as "earth spirits" especially if those earth spirits try and curtail their movements within what the Rengarth see as their land.

So a misunderstanding over territory, and a few hostile encounters with small creatures that live underground and we have a war or two between a number of Rengarth tribes and Oghrann (weakening them, also Ched Nasad was founded earlier so it is possible that the drow were involved in manipulating this conflict (and the illithids of LLacerellyn beneath the serpent hills).

Just a thought and some detail to add to the Rengarth.

While i look at the Rengarth with a new eye, i can see that some great migration occurred around -5000 DR. Shemen led his tribe out of the Shou lands across the northern mountains. Shemen and his tribe left the migration at the Lakelands, becoming the Raumvirans. The people of Rengar carried on (led by Rengar himself) and departed this migration on the western edge of the Narrow Sea (i guess the Ice Spire and Nether Mountains seemed too much trouble to cross). Other groups continued onwards and ended up founding Illusk on the Sword Coast.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 18 May 2020 16:54:42