Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Let's speculate the "Sundering"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  22:56:28  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This thread is basically speculating what the "Sundering" could change or even what you want it to change.

As much as I like the old civilizations (loved Lost Empires of Faerun)and reading about them, I didn't really want them to start showing up. Shade was okay but now we have the Imaskari and Myth Drannor back up and running and that's just a little too much for me. I would like to see Shade as just the floating city. Imaskar back in ruins and Myth Drannor the dangerous dungeon it used to be.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  23:43:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummmmm you have a slight thing there.

Old Imaskar was in the plains of purple dust.( or atleast thats how I perceived it)

High Imaskar is not a rebuilt country but a new one.

Personally I like Myth Drannor as an active city.

Having it back as a dangerous above ground dungeon does not suit me and might not others as well. Make a new city a large dangerous above ground dungeon.

We already have a 4e/5e Phlan and that is Neverwinter.( and currently it is a large above ground semi-dungeon....)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Dec 2013 23:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  05:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've said before, I think it would have made a lot more sense for Myth Drannor to have only been partially reclaimed -- a few blocks made secure and safe, and that's it. Those few blocks could have been used as an outpost/forward base, and from there efforts to reclaim other parts of the city could be launched.

I see the Reclamation of Myth Drannor as something that should take decades, at least -- not the 5 years seen in the novels. I think they wasted much gaming potential with the inclusion of that epilogue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  07:47:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it could have been rushed..... deadlines and all.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  09:55:13  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with Wooly. In my current campaign, I'm thinking that the PCs will go the way of reclaiming Myth Drannor. If they do, I will certainly make it a long process.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  12:54:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

it could have been rushed..... deadlines and all.

I don't see how a deadline would have forced the city to be fully settled again within 5 years of being just ruins.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  14:15:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  14:46:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this entire section (general Chat) had already become the Sundering Discussion.

Myth Drannor = simplicity itself. The elves had resettled the city (and it was possible, although I agree with Wooly on this one), but that doesn't mean there weren't lots of 'locked places' they meant to slowly clean-out, one at a time, over a long period of time. The Spellplague would have changed those plans - suddenly every 'badness' that was securely locked-away gets released, old magics all go off at once, etc, etc.

What do we have left? The same old Myth Drannor that we used to know.... before the Spellplague. Let 4e do the work for us, and fix 3e's mistakes.

No need to create new lore to fix the setting - if there is one really good thing about 4e (that I've been saying for years) is that the Spellplague is the 'all purpose tool' - an ultimate McGuffin. Between THAT, and whatever this Sundering turns out to be, we can pretty-much get away with anything we want at this point. Time & space simply don't matter - its as close to a true reboot as we could possibly get...without disenfranchising the new fans.

Its actually rather brilliant, IF they can pull it off.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2013 17:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  21:03:35  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want Myth Drannor to became a ruin again. There are plenty of ruined Elven Cities, even in the same area, so perhaps some of them could be detailed, along with Batrachi ruins I think.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  21:29:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor returned before the Sundering.

I'm all right with old civilizations coming back, because they added richness to the old realms. So long as their return can be explained

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  22:55:59  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I've said before, I think it would have made a lot more sense for Myth Drannor to have only been partially reclaimed -- a few blocks made secure and safe, and that's it. Those few blocks could have been used as an outpost/forward base, and from there efforts to reclaim other parts of the city could be launched.

I see the Reclamation of Myth Drannor as something that should take decades, at least -- not the 5 years seen in the novels. I think they wasted much gaming potential with the inclusion of that epilogue.

That would make sense and be very cool. Even with 100+ years, it's very possible the elves couldn't clear the entire place, and you don't have to rewrite any lore. The good thing about 4e is that the lore presented was so simple that you can put almost anything in the interstices.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  23:04:50  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Imaskari for me are the Atlanteans of Toril. I loved the idea of Deep Imaskar, I think 5e should focus on it instead of High Imaskar (no need to wipe HI clean though, I'm sure some people would hate that). Deep Imaskar strikes me as an awesome "Lost Land" epic or near-epic characters may be able to reach, adventure in and interact with. It's also easy to link it with the planes somehow. And the Deep Imaskari would be pretty great as a kind of alien culture that is that much weirder because it's actually comprised of fully human people (in their biology). IMHO, of course.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

dmgorgon
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  16:15:50  Show Profile Send dmgorgon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes, at least that way my entire myth drannor box set is not useless.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  17:13:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of old civilizations returning. Yes, history des 'march on', and I've come to terms with that, but saying that current civiliazations have been suplanted by older ones is just piss-poor (and lazy) design, IMHO.

'Fallen Empire' = cool. 'Returned Fallen Empire' = "I have a deadline, and I am late to my Kickboxing session".

And theres the rub. When they create something brand new (Abeir) we hate it. When they bring back old stuff, we hate it. What can they possibly hand us at this point that we won't hate? I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now. What we need is new stuff that feels just like the old stuff, and how do you do that without being accused of derivation?

If nothing else, I can guarantee 5e will at least be interesting. 'Interesting', however, can go two very different ways.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2013 :  20:08:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dmgorgon, that's what temporal anomalies or chronomancers are for. You could time shict between present Myth Drannor and ruins Myth Drannor. Could make for an interesting plot.

Honestly I not in favour of destroying any more empires/cities, and in fact I want Mulhorand and Unther back, I'm curious as to what's happened to them in thier absence. I also want to see what's left of Halruaa, was everything destroyed, or was some or most of it transformed in someway that could be restored when the spellplague disapates.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000