Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Let's speculate the "Sundering"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 13 Dec 2013 : 22:56:28
This thread is basically speculating what the "Sundering" could change or even what you want it to change.

As much as I like the old civilizations (loved Lost Empires of Faerun)and reading about them, I didn't really want them to start showing up. Shade was okay but now we have the Imaskari and Myth Drannor back up and running and that's just a little too much for me. I would like to see Shade as just the floating city. Imaskar back in ruins and Myth Drannor the dangerous dungeon it used to be.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 18 Dec 2013 : 20:08:40
Dmgorgon, that's what temporal anomalies or chronomancers are for. You could time shict between present Myth Drannor and ruins Myth Drannor. Could make for an interesting plot.

Honestly I not in favour of destroying any more empires/cities, and in fact I want Mulhorand and Unther back, I'm curious as to what's happened to them in thier absence. I also want to see what's left of Halruaa, was everything destroyed, or was some or most of it transformed in someway that could be restored when the spellplague disapates.
Markustay Posted - 17 Dec 2013 : 17:13:12
Not a big fan of old civilizations returning. Yes, history des 'march on', and I've come to terms with that, but saying that current civiliazations have been suplanted by older ones is just piss-poor (and lazy) design, IMHO.

'Fallen Empire' = cool. 'Returned Fallen Empire' = "I have a deadline, and I am late to my Kickboxing session".

And theres the rub. When they create something brand new (Abeir) we hate it. When they bring back old stuff, we hate it. What can they possibly hand us at this point that we won't hate? I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now. What we need is new stuff that feels just like the old stuff, and how do you do that without being accused of derivation?

If nothing else, I can guarantee 5e will at least be interesting. 'Interesting', however, can go two very different ways.
dmgorgon Posted - 17 Dec 2013 : 16:15:50
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I've said before, I think it would have made a lot more sense for Myth Drannor to have only been partially reclaimed -- a few blocks made secure and safe, and that's it. Those few blocks could have been used as an outpost/forward base, and from there efforts to reclaim other parts of the city could be launched.

I see the Reclamation of Myth Drannor as something that should take decades, at least -- not the 5 years seen in the novels. I think they wasted much gaming potential with the inclusion of that epilogue.

Yes, at least that way my entire myth drannor box set is not useless.
Mapolq Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 23:04:50
The Imaskari for me are the Atlanteans of Toril. I loved the idea of Deep Imaskar, I think 5e should focus on it instead of High Imaskar (no need to wipe HI clean though, I'm sure some people would hate that). Deep Imaskar strikes me as an awesome "Lost Land" epic or near-epic characters may be able to reach, adventure in and interact with. It's also easy to link it with the planes somehow. And the Deep Imaskari would be pretty great as a kind of alien culture that is that much weirder because it's actually comprised of fully human people (in their biology). IMHO, of course.
Mapolq Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 22:55:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I've said before, I think it would have made a lot more sense for Myth Drannor to have only been partially reclaimed -- a few blocks made secure and safe, and that's it. Those few blocks could have been used as an outpost/forward base, and from there efforts to reclaim other parts of the city could be launched.

I see the Reclamation of Myth Drannor as something that should take decades, at least -- not the 5 years seen in the novels. I think they wasted much gaming potential with the inclusion of that epilogue.

That would make sense and be very cool. Even with 100+ years, it's very possible the elves couldn't clear the entire place, and you don't have to rewrite any lore. The good thing about 4e is that the lore presented was so simple that you can put almost anything in the interstices.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 21:29:40
Myth Drannor returned before the Sundering.

I'm all right with old civilizations coming back, because they added richness to the old realms. So long as their return can be explained
Gyor Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 21:03:35
I don't want Myth Drannor to became a ruin again. There are plenty of ruined Elven Cities, even in the same area, so perhaps some of them could be detailed, along with Batrachi ruins I think.
Markustay Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 14:46:09
I thought this entire section (general Chat) had already become the Sundering Discussion.

Myth Drannor = simplicity itself. The elves had resettled the city (and it was possible, although I agree with Wooly on this one), but that doesn't mean there weren't lots of 'locked places' they meant to slowly clean-out, one at a time, over a long period of time. The Spellplague would have changed those plans - suddenly every 'badness' that was securely locked-away gets released, old magics all go off at once, etc, etc.

What do we have left? The same old Myth Drannor that we used to know.... before the Spellplague. Let 4e do the work for us, and fix 3e's mistakes.

No need to create new lore to fix the setting - if there is one really good thing about 4e (that I've been saying for years) is that the Spellplague is the 'all purpose tool' - an ultimate McGuffin. Between THAT, and whatever this Sundering turns out to be, we can pretty-much get away with anything we want at this point. Time & space simply don't matter - its as close to a true reboot as we could possibly get...without disenfranchising the new fans.

Its actually rather brilliant, IF they can pull it off.
Gyor Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 14:15:50
Magic
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 12:54:47
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

it could have been rushed..... deadlines and all.

I don't see how a deadline would have forced the city to be fully settled again within 5 years of being just ruins.
Wenin Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 09:55:13
I completely agree with Wooly. In my current campaign, I'm thinking that the PCs will go the way of reclaiming Myth Drannor. If they do, I will certainly make it a long process.
sfdragon Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 07:47:21
it could have been rushed..... deadlines and all.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Dec 2013 : 05:06:15

sfdragon Posted - 13 Dec 2013 : 23:43:24
ummmmm you have a slight thing there.

Old Imaskar was in the plains of purple dust.( or atleast thats how I perceived it)

High Imaskar is not a rebuilt country but a new one.

Personally I like Myth Drannor as an active city.

Having it back as a dangerous above ground dungeon does not suit me and might not others as well. Make a new city a large dangerous above ground dungeon.

We already have a 4e/5e Phlan and that is Neverwinter.( and currently it is a large above ground semi-dungeon....)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000