Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Transfer of wounds.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  07:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, all.

I would like to ask advice and opinion on something that itches my imagination.

I know for sure there is spell that allows to heal someone by transferring these wounds to the caster from targets. But here is a pickle.
One guy wants to attempt to do this, but with scars of his companions instead of injuries. They are long healed and became permanent, so I am kinda doubtful about this. Any thoughts?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  12:32:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is the PrC class in 3.5 Silverhair Knight "Sin Eaters" that allowed the transfer of evil acts to be taken from someone to be redeemed, with a risk of the healer being over whelmed. The ability is called consume sins, it clearly should be possible to consume scars with the risk that the healer once transferred can not heal the scars.
Other options would be spells like heal or regeneration that should be able to heal wounds from a long time ago.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  12:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the idea is that attempt is about transfer of scars from wounds, since wounds are long healed, but scars remain.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  13:43:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said the transfer of sins were long term, the scars clearly are long term. So the basic idea should be workable, a PrC might be one way to go, something given up in order to be able to take scars and then remove them. Of course if the scars just change appearance not sure why a PC would want to do that.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  15:11:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All you're really talking about is a minor transfer of flesh build up. It should be very doable. Hell, magic should be able to simply smoothe this out without it even being "healing" magic, as a minor form of permanent transmutation/polymorph. In a somewhat similar vein, the idea of a spell to remove or transfer a tattoo should also be doable.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  19:33:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas is spot on about this. It's a simple power/spell of 2nd level at the highest IMO.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  00:09:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic, but canon sources haven‘t consistently specified whether curative magics leave any scarring or other evidence of “forced-healing“. The novels sometimes describe magical potions/oils of healing or priestly spells leaving normal scars, which might permanent or might fade rapidly or slowly over time. Other novels describe such things restoring the flesh to a perfectly intact, unscarred condition. The usual auctorial liberties, more about good story details than about game mechanics. D&D rulebooks basically just sidestep the question by not acknowledging it. I would guess that more powerful regeneration and restoring magics will heal scar tissue.

Priests of Ilmater might absorb wounds and scars when casting curative spells on patients. Priests of Tempus might be utterly outraged if their trophy scars are “stolen“. Necromancers could easily research spells of this nature, although they would probably be higher spell levels and less efficient (in terms of hit points) than their priestly counterparts.

This PC could always just purchase a razorblade if he wants scars, cheaply and without any magical training. Some cultures feature ritualistic and artful scarring practices, a way to decorate one‘s appearance somewhat like piercings and tattoo work.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  12:34:26  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Slightly off-topic, but canon sources haven‘t consistently specified whether curative magics leave any scarring or other evidence of “forced-healing“. The novels sometimes describe magical potions/oils of healing or priestly spells leaving normal scars, which might permanent or might fade rapidly or slowly over time. Other novels describe such things restoring the flesh to a perfectly intact, unscarred condition. The usual auctorial liberties, more about good story details than about game mechanics. D&D rulebooks basically just sidestep the question by not acknowledging it. I would guess that more powerful regeneration and restoring magics will heal scar tissue.

Interesting thought - the Avatar trilogy made a big deal about natural (non-magical and, I presume, non-psionic) causing scars. Adon suffered a crisis of faith as a Priest of Sune, when he was wounded, no magic was available to heal him, and he was left with a scar. Ever since, I've gone by the rule that magical healing leaves no scars (if, in game terms, all hit points are healed magically), natural healing leaves scars.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  12:41:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally would say that magical healing doesn't leave scars, except in rare circumstances.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  13:23:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really on-topic, but related...

In the Ringworld (Known Space) novels by Larry Niven, the Kzin (big-arse cat-person) are a very feral, barbarian-like species (think 800 lb. Klingons with claws and fangs and a VERY bad attitude). They are a warrior-people, and are very proud of all their scars - they are like badges of honor. In the first Ringworld novel, a Puppeteer (don't ask) uses a rejuv process on one of them and erases all his scars. He is horrified, because he feels he was stripped of all his honor (picture being a human male, and your genitalia suddenly reverts to its prepubescent state... kinda like that).

The scars were an important part of who he was; he is 'like nothing' without them. The rejuv process is akin to magical healing, so I thought I'd just bring up this point - some races may not want magical healing just because it would seem dishonorable. When an orc loosing an eye in combat, he does not try to get a healer to fix it - that would be shameful. He wears his scars proudly.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  00:06:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even warlike honor freaks like Klingons will recognize some scars as being attained through glorious violence or lessons of bloodshed ... yet they disdain scarring which simply indicates one has somehow managed to survive stupid foolishness or incompetence. I guess there‘s sort of an art to it, and their scars really seem to serve more as props for drinking tales about honor and prowess than as fearsome trophies in battle.

And even hardcore klingons bregrudgingly see little purpose in maintaining a maiming injury (such as a lost eye) when replacements are available, they are in fact disgusted by the sight of cripples and weaklings who cannot properly fight. Those who retain their disfiguring injuries (and disabilities) do so by personal choice.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2013 :  09:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, speaking of scars, having none is really remarkable amongst drow, especially if they are warriors, meaning they are that good.

Well, the scars were left during bad attempt at healing without cleansing poison from body, so... I guess there are ways to leave scars if you don't know how to use spells effectively.

So, transfer of scars should be easy. Thanks for letting know.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000