Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 D&D Origins.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  10:06:29  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What was your first experience with Dungeons & Dragons? How old were you? Who or what, got you into playing this extensive game? Share your stories!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  11:53:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An old adventure called Sword and Shield i believe, that my uncle ran for me when i was about 9.

Loved it so much, i believe i ended up being involved in some kind of a war which definitely wasnt in the adventure booklet when i read it back now.

The freedom of it all inspired me and i havent stopped since.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  11:59:15  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

An old adventure called Sword and Shield i believe, that my uncle ran for me when i was about 9.

Loved it so much, i believe i ended up being involved in some kind of a war which definitely wasnt in the adventure booklet when i read it back now.

The freedom of it all inspired me and i havent stopped since.

Our first story! Welcome it's good to see you again, dazzlerdal!
Thats a good age to start, I think I was around that age as well. Maybe a little older, but near it definitely.
But that had to be tons of fun! Being apart of a war, having this great story line and adventure.
Well that's TERRIFIC! Thanks for sharing that.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  16:21:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Wars. For real. Well technically I was playing the old gold box PC games before I had any real understanding of Dungeons & Dragons.

Then I started playing the pencil & paper Star Wars RPG by West End Games. I'll admit, I miss rolling massive pools of d6s on skill checks. :)

We eventually switched over to AD&D to run a homebrew campaign. This is when the pieces started to come together. I think I spent some time playing Baldur's Gate before I started playing the Realms. I know my first real exposure to the Realms was before Baldur's Gate because I read the Icewind Dale trilogy and got hooked. After Baldur's Gate I started playing in the Realms, my group wanted to be there.

I was around 15 when I started playing Star Wars.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 21 Nov 2013 16:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  16:53:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh geez, it was AD&D 2nd Edition and I was about 15 (1997). We were actually playing football in the field across the street from a friends house when it started to rain. So to wait it out we went to his house and his brother asked us if we wanted to play (I think he had a friend over or soemthing and needed more people). So we all said sure and got started making characters. At that point my only reference was that I had played Baldur's Gate on the computer so I had some tiny knowledge of what to expect. I rolled up a Human Paladin (rolled well, I guess). The DM was generous and gave out a few magical items to go with our character. I got a +1 falchion, which I wasn't familiar with at all and it honestly didn't go with the whole crusader themed character I was playing. I had asked if I could just change it to a longsword and instantly the DM didn't like me (lol, not that I was looking a gifted horse in the mouth, but I was more into the theme than any mechanics so I didn't think it was all that different).

The adventure started with us waking up to a fire run amok in our camp admist a goblin raid. I killed a few goblins but because I was somewhat armored with Chain mail, I think 7 or 8 goblins targeted me first. I then shortly died from about 5 arrows, lol. Honestly, it took about 45 mintues to create a chracter and go through the rules and then about 15 mintues for combat to start and me to die. Played AD&D a few more times with general distaste and frustration.

3E came along and another friend bought the core set. We played a few times and generally liked how smooth it played at the low-levels. The DM was still in the mindset of never giving us anything akin to magical items and it wasn't until about 7th level when we started to vocally complain about the best weapon the entire party had was a masterwork Greatsword that my Barbarian was wielding. Frustrated he instantly turned it into a monty haul game and set us against EL+5 and up encounters, to which we'd all die. We then all left for college and didn't play again until I started DM'ing in 2005.

We got a game together on Monday nights at my grandma's house (she was a nurse who worked grave shift) and it was the classic "playing til 4 AM with pop (aka Soda) and cheetos" group. We started to get more serious with character creation and extended campaigns, almost all of them homebrew. I found the Forgotten Realms again and started doing quick adventures I made up using the locations and NPCs found in the FRCS. We then ran a few other adventures such as the ones found in the FRCS and then adapting the FREE adventures found on the WotC site for the Forgotten Realms. We played 3.5 from about 04/05 until 08 when 4E came out.

4E came out and I got the box set for my birthday. Instantly I hated it and pretty much how the entire layout of the books was alien and foreign. Power cards? Really? Boxes of powers for classes? This is dumb. But I gave it a shot and after some reading and DM creating and homebrewing, I realized how much I loved the system. The changes to the Realms were actually some of the best things I incorpoated into my FR campaigns, including one that's lasted over 8 years. Suffice to say that I look at the Realms and think "How can I use, incorpoate, assimiliate the information presented and make my games better." Perhaps this approach is why I was never really bothered with the changes to begin with. That and that I haven't been around and involved with the Realms as much as some other people. *shruggs*.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  18:34:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old dungeons & dragons box set (which I hate myself for giving away), before they had AD&D or the basic set. I was about 9 or 10 years old and my brother bought it for me at a garage sale (so maybe 1980, maybe 1981). It didn't have dice. It had these paper chits with the numbers 1 through 20 on them for the 20 sided dice pool, 1 through 4 for the 4 sided dice, etc... The front of it talked about a "predecessor version" of the game called Castles and Crusaders. I remember trying to figure out the game and getting confused about the difference between constitution and hit points. I had no one to play with except for a cousin of mine, so I read the stuff and tried to figure it out myself. I think the module that came with it was Caves of Chaos (or maybe that was the basic set I got later). I didn't get my first AD&D books until about 3 or 4 years later, when I got the PH, DMG, MM, and Deities & Demigods... which just opened up a whole new world, because elves weren't all fighter mages and dwarves were more than fighters and halflings could be thieves. From there, it began to rollout heavily.. read DL, FR was released (fell in love with FR),etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  19:55:45  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was 2001. People had tried and failed to get me into D&D a couple of years beforehand. A chance buy of the 3.0 Player's Handbook and a kid who had some experience DMing changed things dramatically. My only experience with the d20 system was Baldur's Gate but after that first adventure, my friends and I spent a large part of the next two-and-a-half years either playing in or running adventures.

Once I left school and moved to the sticks it was about a year before I found anyone who wanted to play. I set up a group at college and was lucky to find a very experienced DM to run things for me. Taking some lessons from him, I got my college friends interested and got myself a very interested party to DM for over the next two years. Things have gone from strength to strength since.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  21:51:53  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Star Wars. For real. Well technically I was playing the old gold box PC games before I had any real understanding of Dungeons & Dragons.

Then I started playing the pencil & paper Star Wars RPG by West End Games. I'll admit, I miss rolling massive pools of d6s on skill checks. :)

We eventually switched over to AD&D to run a homebrew campaign. This is when the pieces started to come together. I think I spent some time playing Baldur's Gate before I started playing the Realms. I know my first real exposure to the Realms was before Baldur's Gate because I read the Icewind Dale trilogy and got hooked. After Baldur's Gate I started playing in the Realms, my group wanted to be there.

I was around 15 when I started playing Star Wars.

Oh a different origin very nice! I never got to play anything like that before, so that's quite interesting.

Same here, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were very influential in making me become OBSESSED with the Forgotten Realms. Haha
The realms are hard to resist, I still want to have a campaign there. I never have, although it's been years since I last played.

That's a good age to start as well, you're understanding of the game is improved as you get older.
Thanks for sharing, SirUrza!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  22:01:31  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Oh geez, it was AD&D 2nd Edition and I was about 15 (1997). We were actually playing football in the field across the street from a friends house when it started to rain. So to wait it out we went to his house and his brother asked us if we wanted to play (I think he had a friend over or soemthing and needed more people). So we all said sure and got started making characters. At that point my only reference was that I had played Baldur's Gate on the computer so I had some tiny knowledge of what to expect. I rolled up a Human Paladin (rolled well, I guess). The DM was generous and gave out a few magical items to go with our character. I got a +1 falchion, which I wasn't familiar with at all and it honestly didn't go with the whole crusader themed character I was playing. I had asked if I could just change it to a longsword and instantly the DM didn't like me (lol, not that I was looking a gifted horse in the mouth, but I was more into the theme than any mechanics so I didn't think it was all that different).

The adventure started with us waking up to a fire run amok in our camp admist a goblin raid. I killed a few goblins but because I was somewhat armored with Chain mail, I think 7 or 8 goblins targeted me first. I then shortly died from about 5 arrows, lol. Honestly, it took about 45 mintues to create a chracter and go through the rules and then about 15 mintues for combat to start and me to die. Played AD&D a few more times with general distaste and frustration.

3E came along and another friend bought the core set. We played a few times and generally liked how smooth it played at the low-levels. The DM was still in the mindset of never giving us anything akin to magical items and it wasn't until about 7th level when we started to vocally complain about the best weapon the entire party had was a masterwork Greatsword that my Barbarian was wielding. Frustrated he instantly turned it into a monty haul game and set us against EL+5 and up encounters, to which we'd all die. We then all left for college and didn't play again until I started DM'ing in 2005.

We got a game together on Monday nights at my grandma's house (she was a nurse who worked grave shift) and it was the classic "playing til 4 AM with pop (aka Soda) and cheetos" group. We started to get more serious with character creation and extended campaigns, almost all of them homebrew. I found the Forgotten Realms again and started doing quick adventures I made up using the locations and NPCs found in the FRCS. We then ran a few other adventures such as the ones found in the FRCS and then adapting the FREE adventures found on the WotC site for the Forgotten Realms. We played 3.5 from about 04/05 until 08 when 4E came out.

4E came out and I got the box set for my birthday. Instantly I hated it and pretty much how the entire layout of the books was alien and foreign. Power cards? Really? Boxes of powers for classes? This is dumb. But I gave it a shot and after some reading and DM creating and homebrewing, I realized how much I loved the system. The changes to the Realms were actually some of the best things I incorpoated into my FR campaigns, including one that's lasted over 8 years. Suffice to say that I look at the Realms and think "How can I use, incorpoate, assimiliate the information presented and make my games better." Perhaps this approach is why I was never really bothered with the changes to begin with. That and that I haven't been around and involved with the Realms as much as some other people. *shruggs*.

See that is understandable, I'd be the exact same way! I wouldn't want my Paladin to have a +1 Falchion over a long sword or two hander. It's about sticking to the archetype and the theme of the characters class. Definitely would have done the same thing. Haha I can't believe he would not like you for that little change though.

Oh geez, I died that way as well. They always have some damn goblin raid coming after you at the beginning. Between an hour to two hours of learning the ropes and getting killed by low level creatures(or mid level if the DM is particularly sadistic lol)
I see he became like that type of DM, such a shame.

Well regardless that was a great story about how you started your D&D campaigns. Good age, fun times, just a shame about the DM. But sometimes the ability to shape a story and the power behind it, goes to some people's head.
Thanks again, Diffan!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  22:04:35  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The old dungeons & dragons box set (which I hate myself for giving away), before they had AD&D or the basic set. I was about 9 or 10 years old and my brother bought it for me at a garage sale (so maybe 1980, maybe 1981). It didn't have dice. It had these paper chits with the numbers 1 through 20 on them for the 20 sided dice pool, 1 through 4 for the 4 sided dice, etc... The front of it talked about a "predecessor version" of the game called Castles and Crusaders. I remember trying to figure out the game and getting confused about the difference between constitution and hit points. I had no one to play with except for a cousin of mine, so I read the stuff and tried to figure it out myself. I think the module that came with it was Caves of Chaos (or maybe that was the basic set I got later). I didn't get my first AD&D books until about 3 or 4 years later, when I got the PH, DMG, MM, and Deities & Demigods... which just opened up a whole new world, because elves weren't all fighter mages and dwarves were more than fighters and halflings could be thieves. From there, it began to rollout heavily.. read DL, FR was released (fell in love with FR),etc...

Oh so you got the original box set released in the 70s or? I remember a few stores a couple years ago sold the 1st Edition D&D box set, I think it was an anniversary deal. Either way I was tempted myself, but that is cool he found it at a garage sale! Those books changed my life to, some good reads and had information that just BLEW me away! Well that sounds great! Thanks for sharing, sleyvas!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  22:08:53  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

It was 2001. People had tried and failed to get me into D&D a couple of years beforehand. A chance buy of the 3.0 Player's Handbook and a kid who had some experience DMing changed things dramatically. My only experience with the d20 system was Baldur's Gate but after that first adventure, my friends and I spent a large part of the next two-and-a-half years either playing in or running adventures.

Once I left school and moved to the sticks it was about a year before I found anyone who wanted to play. I set up a group at college and was lucky to find a very experienced DM to run things for me. Taking some lessons from him, I got my college friends interested and got myself a very interested party to DM for over the next two years. Things have gone from strength to strength since.

That's the same year, or close to it, that I was to get into D&D myself. Right, I wasn't familiar with it either minus BG series. Alright that is a good start, taking a chance on seeing the game again. That is not a bad run there, two and a half years!

Hey, you're not alone I live in the middle of nowhere myself and everyone here is NOT into D&D. So I get where you're coming from on that. College is a good place to find other players and DMs so that's terrific you found the DM and players! Well congratz on that and I hope it just gets better! Thanks for sharing, hashimashadoo!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  22:29:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hippy friend of my sister told me about the game in 1976... I was 13. I managed to track down a store that sold the game a year later (it was one of those very early LGS's that actually catered to Napoleonic miniatures enthusiasts). I found a group run by a guy... who turned out to be a pedophile looking for ways to hang out with children (seriously, I am NOT making this up). He gave me a photocopied set of the rules and we got together on weekends. We had fun up until the time he put his hand on my leg and I socked him (he was a small, meek man). Don't know what went on with the other kids - I'd rather not speculate.

Anyway, went back to the store and found another group, but they were playing Chivalry & Sorcery. Turns out the store I ventured into was also the headquarters of Fantasy Games Unlimited, and that was their fantasy RPG. A very complicated system of rules, but still a lot of fun, and we had an epic GM that managed to handle it all somehow (there were about 30 people in our group, mostly college kids from SUNY Stonybrook which was right across the street). I learned a lot and made some great friends, and I'll never forget those times. Also learned a lot about making (and playtesting) games back then, and I probably would have went into the industry myself if the company hadn't picked-up and moved out to California (the store closed soon after). I was, alas, too young to follow at that time.

Been playing games of all sorts ever since.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Nov 2013 22:31:49
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  00:05:15  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great age to start, and time period! I envy you my friend. Haha
Oh wow, well it's great you got out of there (and clocked that guy in the face) before he tried anything more bizarre. But otherwise, that is pretty cool. At least you got some experience with said game before leaving the group.

But that is great, terrific back story into how you started your road to D&D! Sorry about the Pedo though. Thanks for sharing, Markustay!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  00:28:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its okay - the guy never really hurt me - I think he was looking for boys that may have had an interest in that sort of thing, and I most certainly did not. Not so sure about a couple of the others...

Anyhow, I did see him around a few times at the store after that, and I warned people. I think the owner eventually asked him politely to 'hangout elsewhere'. We were a pretty liberal group - especially for back then - but you have to draw the line somewhere. Besides, if it wasn't for that incident, I wouldn't have went and hung-out with the older (college) kids, and I learned a lot...

and not just about games. Something very cool about sleeping in college dorms every weekend when you are just sixteen (and thank good my parents were ultra-cool as well).

After the store closed, I found other gamers in the area and we started meeting at different people's houses, and played just about everything we could get our hands on. It was a really great time in my life.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2013 00:30:25
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  10:53:19  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, the things people are into just never ceases to amaze, and shock, me.

Well that's good, he needs to not be in that setting if he is into that type of thing. So some good came of that incident, that's great then!

Yeah man I bet that was a great and fun experience! That's awesome!

Sounds terrific, Markustay I wish I had great friends to play with but alas, I live in the middle of nowhere. No one here plays it and I have not for MANY years.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  15:15:02  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had become good friends with a new kid who had moved to my school in 5th grade (circa 1989-90). I had started reading fantasy before that (my mom was a Sword of Shannara fan), so we had that to talk about, he loaned me some books too, and he eventually asked if I wanted to play.

We made my first character, an elf named Renin Silverblade, over the lunch hour period we were supposed to be playing open gym.
Ah..AD&D....how I miss thee, oh ThAC0...

My parents were VERY nervous about me going over to play (and duh, being the weekend, it was all overnight, pizza and Orc piss (Mountain Dew!). "If anyone starts taking their shirts off, or lighting candles, you CALL us and leave RIGHT AWAY." Thanks a lot, Tom Hanks & 'Mazes & Monsters'

BUT; it was all good, all fun, and I've been with the Realms ever since. I moved away from that school about 2 years later, but with the close friendship, my friend's older brother always drove the extra 30 minutes to come pick me up for a weekend of roleplaying, and it's still the same group of friends, even with all of us separating to different colleges (and states!). Dnd has really helped keep us all together as friends.

Renin is still around, been through AD&D, 3rd, 3.5, and even into a PF build (but just to see how it goes). I mostly DM these days...and look forward to the day I can teach my eventual kids how to play.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  19:27:54  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane
Oh a different origin very nice! I never got to play anything like that before, so that's quite interesting.

It's an interesting system. They basically had I think 8 skill "attributes" and under those "attributes" would be specific skills. You'd be awarded character points which you'd spend to increase your skills or "attributes." The attribute was the base value of your basically your untrained skills, while your "trained" skills had their own score.

So to use D&D as an example, Dexterity would be the attribute. Maybe during creation you put 3d6+1 worth of points into it. So Sneak would be 3d6+1.. but you could spend additional points into it to increase it to say 5d6+2.

You'd spend as many points as the dice roll. Every +3 was a new dice. So 2d+1, 2d+2, 3d, 3d+1, etc.

I think the attributes cost double to increase. They also had a free specialization system. So you could specialize in a specific anyway you want.

So again in D&D terms.

Strength 3d6+0
Swords 3d6+2
Swords: Longsword 6d6
Swords: Scimitar 5d6+2.

Could lead to massive dice rolls. Specialization cost half so you could really customize a character to be good at specific things.

quote:
That's a good age to start as well, you're understanding of the game is improved as you get older. Thanks for sharing, SirUrza!

It sure helped. Glad you enjoyed!

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 22 Nov 2013 19:28:21
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  19:41:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the WEG star wars rpg, its an entirely different style of roleplay though. DnD is all about the rules, whereas Star Wars (WEG) is all about the roleplay.

In DnD you would say, I am going to use a move action to do such and such, and a standard action to attack etc.

In WEG you would say i'm diving behind the table, trying to blast the door controls etc. There is no mention of rules, just what your character is doing.

Both excellent games though, its just a shame WEG discontinued and they went down the d20 route. Although I hear a bunch of people did unofficial sourcebooks for it; I never managed to find any though.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  19:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine loaned me Baldur's Gate. I fell in love with the characters, the world, and the story. However, I kept dying. Having only been given the disks, not the manual, I went to my local hobby store and bought the D&D 3.5 boxed set. (Softcover phb, dice.) I managed to figure everything but AC from that, then my friend visited from college and explained the differences between 3.5 and the computer game. Then things progressed nicely. A few years later, I landed a job at the hobby store, and one of my co-workers invited me to play D&D with his group. I jumped at the chance, especially when he told me it was in Faerūn, and I've been playing ever since.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  21:39:52  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

I had become good friends with a new kid who had moved to my school in 5th grade (circa 1989-90). I had started reading fantasy before that (my mom was a Sword of Shannara fan), so we had that to talk about, he loaned me some books too, and he eventually asked if I wanted to play.

We made my first character, an elf named Renin Silverblade, over the lunch hour period we were supposed to be playing open gym.
Ah..AD&D....how I miss thee, oh ThAC0...

My parents were VERY nervous about me going over to play (and duh, being the weekend, it was all overnight, pizza and Orc piss (Mountain Dew!). "If anyone starts taking their shirts off, or lighting candles, you CALL us and leave RIGHT AWAY." Thanks a lot, Tom Hanks & 'Mazes & Monsters'

BUT; it was all good, all fun, and I've been with the Realms ever since. I moved away from that school about 2 years later, but with the close friendship, my friend's older brother always drove the extra 30 minutes to come pick me up for a weekend of roleplaying, and it's still the same group of friends, even with all of us separating to different colleges (and states!). Dnd has really helped keep us all together as friends.

Renin is still around, been through AD&D, 3rd, 3.5, and even into a PF build (but just to see how it goes). I mostly DM these days...and look forward to the day I can teach my eventual kids how to play.

Great way to start, I loved Terry Brooks novels. They were definitely well written, and furthered my interest in D&D related material as well.
Haha the good ole days right? Tis a nostalgic time.
Yeah that's totally understandable, Pizza and Orc piss is a good thing to consume during a campaign!
that is great! I love the groups that stay together and try to make it work over distance. Just for the sake of a fun and great game!

That is great, TERRIFIC story Renin! Thanks for sharing, all the best luck to you!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  22:50:19  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was 1979 and I was 11 years old and a friend wanted to get me to try this strange game.
My 1st PC was a thief and our first dungeon was filled with goblins and I was having lots and lots of fun and I didn't really understand the rules but I was hooked bad.
Back then we didn't have all of the dice so we used cups with little peaces of paper with numbers on them in the cups.
One cup was for the D20 another was for the D8 and so on.
Dungeons & Dragons has been a part of me ever since.
As for my thief, well one time when I could not make it they used him as an NPC and got him killed. The dirty rats!
I LOVE THIS GAME!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  23:11:10  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

It's an interesting system. They basically had I think 8 skill "attributes" and under those "attributes" would be specific skills. You'd be awarded character points which you'd spend to increase your skills or "attributes." The attribute was the base value of your basically your untrained skills, while your "trained" skills had their own score.

So to use D&D as an example, Dexterity would be the attribute. Maybe during creation you put 3d6+1 worth of points into it. So Sneak would be 3d6+1.. but you could spend additional points into it to increase it to say 5d6+2.

You'd spend as many points as the dice roll. Every +3 was a new dice. So 2d+1, 2d+2, 3d, 3d+1, etc.

I think the attributes cost double to increase. They also had a free specialization system. So you could specialize in a specific anyway you want.

So again in D&D terms.

Strength 3d6+0
Swords 3d6+2
Swords: Longsword 6d6
Swords: Scimitar 5d6+2.

Could lead to massive dice rolls. Specialization cost half so you could really customize a character to be good at specific things.

quote:
That's a good age to start as well, you're understanding of the game is improved as you get older. Thanks for sharing, SirUrza!

It sure helped. Glad you enjoyed!

This sounds like something I could EASILY get into with no problem!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  23:12:36  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love the WEG star wars rpg, its an entirely different style of roleplay though. DnD is all about the rules, whereas Star Wars (WEG) is all about the roleplay.

In DnD you would say, I am going to use a move action to do such and such, and a standard action to attack etc.

In WEG you would say i'm diving behind the table, trying to blast the door controls etc. There is no mention of rules, just what your character is doing.

Both excellent games though, its just a shame WEG discontinued and they went down the d20 route. Although I hear a bunch of people did unofficial sourcebooks for it; I never managed to find any though.

Holy crap! I really need to look into this more thoroughly! It actually sounds like a lot of fun. O_O

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  23:15:17  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

A friend of mine loaned me Baldur's Gate. I fell in love with the characters, the world, and the story. However, I kept dying. Having only been given the disks, not the manual, I went to my local hobby store and bought the D&D 3.5 boxed set. (Softcover phb, dice.) I managed to figure everything but AC from that, then my friend visited from college and explained the differences between 3.5 and the computer game. Then things progressed nicely. A few years later, I landed a job at the hobby store, and one of my co-workers invited me to play D&D with his group. I jumped at the chance, especially when he told me it was in Faerūn, and I've been playing ever since.

That's how mine started as well, my friend loaned (and eventually gave me) his copy of BG2. He was too busy playing Everquest during those days, so he was not interested in it anymore. That's insane though! Who would have thought you would be in a campaign that is within your favorite realm!? Haha great story, Delwa!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  23:19:02  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

It was 1979 and I was 11 years old and a friend wanted to get me to try this strange game.
My 1st PC was a thief and our first dungeon was filled with goblins and I was having lots and lots of fun and I didn't really understand the rules but I was hooked bad.
Back then we didn't have all of the dice so we used cups with little peaces of paper with numbers on them in the cups.
One cup was for the D20 another was for the D8 and so on.
Dungeons & Dragons has been a part of me ever since.
As for my thief, well one time when I could not make it they used him as an NPC and got him killed. The dirty rats!
I LOVE THIS GAME!

John

Good first choice! Goblins, a great first encounter as well, two for two so far. Haha
I like that, ingenuity at it's finest!
They did?! REALLY!? That's not very sporting. Killing anothers player after one missed session!? Haha this game is quite a thrill, I will admit that. Thanks for sharing!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  00:48:02  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My encounter was due to multiple events happening around the same time. The first was actually being introduced to D&D by a childhood friend of mine when I was 11-12 years old. He showed me a few of the source books and game guides. After that I was VERY interested, as my interest in fantasy started at an even younger age. So we both saved up our allowance and went to the local hobby shop to get the Monster Manual 3E and several different sided die. We even customized some of them ourselves!

Anyway, so began my campaign with my childhood friend and a few other people we knew at their house. Every weekend it was always a blast, my first character was a human paladin. Not much I remember about him, but he died relatively early in game. I was VERY new to the game and rules so, I did not last long. Luckily, the DM was somewhat creative and had some experience with the game.

Either way it went that way for a while, before the core groups campaign just fizzled out. We all moved on since most of us had a moderately creative, but forgettable, realm. So we went back to our original hobby of playing Mage Knights.

I wasn't back into the FR until my friend loaned me his Baldur's Gate 2 game. My love was re-inspired and I wanted to play D&D again. Although, they all quit playing by then and moved on to Everquest and such. So I was alone to play BG2 by myself and wish I had more friends to join in on my campaigns. It's been years and years since I played but I still want to get back into it. Although, I'd be extremely rusty and almost back to beginner level knowledge of the game. Still highly interested. And that's my story!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  04:55:15  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anymore origins stories today?
We'd gladly love to hear them!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  20:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My story started with my uncle reading The Hobbit for me and my youngest cousin one summer when we were kids. That got me interested in fantasy as a concept.

Then when i was something like 12-13 i started playing AD&D with some friends because one of them had an older brother that used to play. I think it was Greyhawk they played. We had like 3-5 sessions of random trying and failing before i bought the old grey box Faerun setting on vacation in england one summer.

I let a friend read through it all because he wanted to make an adventure. And from there we started playing regularly.

Now at an age of "around 30" we put together a group with a mix of co-workers and old friends to play 3.5 in Faerun almost every friday. It's all good fun and laughs.

Ezekil
"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance"

Edited by - Ezekil on 01 Dec 2013 20:27:04
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  20:51:52  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing like the Hobbit to start ones interest of fantasy realms.

Oh wow, that's actually a great way to start, great setting to!

Well that just sounds like a lot of fun, also definitely a great edition to play in as well. And great touch using Faerun as your realm. Thanks for sharing, Ezekil!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  20:24:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Holy crap! I really need to look into this more thoroughly! It actually sounds like a lot of fun. O_O

D6 star wars I hear?

go here, its free

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/20447/D6-Space?

Cheers

Damian
who started playing B/X D&D about 1981 and still games with the guy who ran for me all those years ago :)

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  20:27:39  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

quote:

D6 star wars I hear?

go here, its free

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/20447/D6-Space?

Cheers

Damian
who started playing B/X D&D about 1981 and still games with the guy who ran for me all those years ago :)

My thanks fellow sage!

Very nice, I love how most people started in early 1980s. Must've been a great time for the game, still early in it's life. Infancy if you will!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000