Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep, the city of splendors!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  23:59:25  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'd actually like to talk about it, I know a few things but never got my hands on A WHOLE lot of knowledge about the city. I find it ULTIMATELY fascinating, and highly interesting. If anyone is willing to input some lore, or talk about why they like it I'm all ears.

I realize one of the lords was Elminster at a time as well as Khelben, but I'd like to learn more of this place. Share knowledge of the city of Splendors!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:10:26  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

I'd actually like to talk about it, I know a few things but never got my hands on A WHOLE lot of knowledge about the city. I find it ULTIMATELY fascinating, and highly interesting. If anyone is willing to input some lore, or talk about why they like it I'm all ears.

I realize one of the lords was Elminster at a time as well as Khelben, but I'd like to learn more of this place. Share knowledge of the city of Splendors!

hmmmm. I do not remember Elminster being a lord there but it has been awhile since I read the older sourcebooks.

Lore aye?

Well, without getting into surrounding awesome places like Skullport and Undermountain.....
The Lords of Waterdeep are usually anonymous. Wearing those helms that change their voices. Has a great underworld, which is quite free of thief and assassin guilds unlike most big cities, partially due to some of the big players liking it the way it is. Elaith Craulnober for one :)

Gurk. It might be easier to name some names and point to wikipedia. Ill keep going off track forever lol.
Mirt the Moneylender
Piegeiron the Paladinson
Khelben Blackstaff
Durnan
Brian the swordmaster
Caladorn
Danilo Thann
Terresk
Sarya
Lord bronson and Lady jeryth Phaulkon
Jannaxil Serpentil
enemies:
The knights of the shield
The shadow thieves
The Xanathar
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:16:39  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes at one time it was "whispered" that Elminster was a Lord of Waterdeep. It wasn't confirmed for quite some time, I think Khelben was more known as a Lord than any. I heard on other Lord who everyone KNEW for a fact that he was. I cannot remember his name though.
But I appreciate the information, and I heard something about Waterdeep being ran by Merchants for a time. Either before or after the Lords, also a little vague on the details. But the City itself is nothing short of deeply interesting and rich with lore from what I heard.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:17:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to play one of the Red Sashes, one of Durnan's personal army of vigilantes.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:22:28  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I've always wanted to play one of the Red Sashes, one of Durnan's personal army of vigilantes.

I believe I have heard of that name...somewhere, I just cannot recall where?

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:26:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm drawing a blank and can't refer to my books atm, I'm sure one of our other studious sages knows the reference.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:32:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Red Sashes were mentioned in the original 1e material (The City System boxed set I belive...it used Waterdeep). They were never truly described other than being a vigilante-type force working against Waterdeep but, in reality, working for them unknowingly.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:32:48  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I'm drawing a blank and can't refer to my books atm, I'm sure one of our other studious sages knows the reference.

I just searched on it, and he was a hidden lord of Waterdeep! So that is why the name is so familiar, and his personal agents the Red Sashes. Now I see, that is really quite awesome. They sound pretty secretive from what I read.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:49:36  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Force Grey, a group of high-level adventurers (including a Frost Giant) that were on the city payroll but only called up in dire or extreme circumstances due to the mass damage they were likely to cause.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:57:35  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you recall an instance when they were called upon to do work for the city? I can only imagine the amount of damage and money it cost the city to use them. Haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:59:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge fan of the City of Splendors, myself, due in no small part to the city's government (which I have dubbed a cryptocracy).

I've even created some Lords of my own and written them up; see the link in my sig to the Candlekeep Compendium.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:05:35  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's terrific! Another fan of The City Of Splendors! Oh yes, from what I read the government is very odd, secretive, vastly changing over the years, and just way to deep to deny. I to enjoy it, what little i know of course. :P

I shall check that out Wooly, it's great seeing another fans work on something so interesting!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:05:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes at one time it was "whispered" that Elminster was a Lord of Waterdeep. It wasn't confirmed for quite some time, I think Khelben was more known as a Lord than any. I heard on other Lord who everyone KNEW for a fact that he was. I cannot remember his name though.
But I appreciate the information, and I heard something about Waterdeep being ran by Merchants for a time. Either before or after the Lords, also a little vague on the details. But the City itself is nothing short of deeply interesting and rich with lore from what I heard.

Piegeiron Paladinson. Everyone knew he was a lord. He was the only one other than Khelben that was widely known I think
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:08:13  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Piegeiron Paladinson. Everyone knew he was a lord. He was the only one other than Khelben that was widely known I think

YES! That was the one, thank you for clearing that up Firestorm. He seemed rather proud and uncaring that others knew he was a hidden lord. Not so much hidden of course. :P

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:17:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you recall an instance when they were called upon to do work for the city? I can only imagine the amount of damage and money it cost the city to use them. Haha

No. I think they largely slipped through the cracks during new editions. Besides, the city never faced a true threat to its security that I can recall (though perhaps they were called up during the 4e years, my knowledge of the setting during that time is pretty much non-existent).

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:24:01  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well regardless it's still another great addition to my knowledge of this mysterious place. Well it's widely known by fans, but I don't have the pleasure of knowing as much so this all helps me.

Well I shall find a few novels, or something along those lines to get more information of the periods of time within Waterdeep. As well as organizations, government history, people, places, etc.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  02:55:43  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well regardless it's still another great addition to my knowledge of this mysterious place. Well it's widely known by fans, but I don't have the pleasure of knowing as much so this all helps me.

Well I shall find a few novels, or something along those lines to get more information of the periods of time within Waterdeep. As well as organizations, government history, people, places, etc.

Elfsong and Elfshadow :)

You get some waterdeep action in return of the archwizards too
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  03:04:57  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh sounds like something I need to check out immediately, I appreciate the info.

The on thing that really interests me about Waterdeep is how it came to be. I've seen some vague stories on how it was discovered and built into what it is today.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  03:09:15  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who are the Lords during the 1470s? Does anyone know?

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  03:15:16  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I've collected a few so far:

Dagult Neverember

Danilo Thann

Durnan "the Wanderer"

Mirt the Moneylender

I do believe that's some of them from 1479?

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  04:57:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

YES! That was the one, thank you for clearing that up Firestorm. He seemed rather proud and uncaring that others knew he was a hidden lord. Not so much hidden of course. :P

Piergeiron wasn't a Hidden Lord. He was the Open Lord of Waterdeep. They have one Open Lord -- their public face -- and the rest go masked.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  04:58:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh sounds like something I need to check out immediately, I appreciate the info.

The on thing that really interests me about Waterdeep is how it came to be. I've seen some vague stories on how it was discovered and built into what it is today.

Most of the Waterdhavian sourcebooks cover its history, but I think the most information would be in the 3E hardback City of Splendors: Waterdeep, though the 2E boxed set City of Splendors is prolly the single most comprehensive collection of lore on the city.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  05:00:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Dagult Neverember

Danilo Thann

Durnan "the Wanderer"

Mirt the Moneylender

Wow, Danilo and Durnan are still around in the 4E era? And how can Danilo be a Lord again -- he already gave that up, and left Waterdeep, long before the Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  05:02:01  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Piergeiron wasn't a Hidden Lord. He was the Open Lord of Waterdeep. They have one Open Lord -- their public face -- and the rest go masked.

Oh okay I understand, kind of like the spokesperson for the group. Speaking publicly on their behalf, yet still remaining a lord? Thank you for the information though, just more to add to the already growing library in my head.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  05:02:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've recently been fiddling with the idea of having one of my livegolems be in Waterdeep. He would be one of the original ones, and will have been in the city for centuries -- acting as a secret agent for the Lords. Not necessarily for the Lords as a whole, but as a personal agent for one or two Lords at a time, being passed down from Lord to Lord, and acting as kind of a black ops type.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  05:15:00  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of like a tool, a special mantle used by lords and only lords for their secret purposes? I like the idea!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  12:44:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Try out City of splendors By Ed Greenwood and Elaine cunningham, also there is a whole line of novels dealing with Waterdeep by various authors. I think it was called Ed Greenwodd presents Waterdeep.
Anyway I quite liked the God Catcher and Mistshore from those books.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  20:29:59  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Try out City of splendors By Ed Greenwood and Elaine cunningham, also there is a whole line of novels dealing with Waterdeep by various authors. I think it was called Ed Greenwodd presents Waterdeep.
Anyway I quite liked the God Catcher and Mistshore from those books.

Well met, Thauranil!
Thank you for the book advice, I shall have to search them out and find them. I have been very interested in this place and wish to learn as much as I can from it. The lore so far has me hooked honestly! haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  20:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
hmmmm. I do not remember Elminster being a lord there but it has been awhile since I read the older sourcebooks.

I believe one of the recent Elminster books had Storm recalling a time when she and Elminster were Lords of Waterdeep. I can't recall off hand which one or what the exact circumstances of the conversation were though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  21:16:06  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:

I believe one of the recent Elminster books had Storm recalling a time when she and Elminster were Lords of Waterdeep. I can't recall off hand which one or what the exact circumstances of the conversation were though.

Well met, Tyrant!

Yes I recall hearing something about new novels of Elminster, never knew they mentioned Waterdeep in those. But I shall gladly have a look and see for myself. Thank you for the information.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  21:35:08  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Dagult Neverember

Danilo Thann

Durnan "the Wanderer"

Mirt the Moneylender

Wow, Danilo and Durnan are still around in the 4E era? And how can Danilo be a Lord again -- he already gave that up, and left Waterdeep, long before the Spellplague.

Maybe he was a surviving member, but not active since he gave it up as you said? Most of the info was source material from a Forgotten Realms site. Some of them just said members that still lived during 1470s.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000