Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Encounters question/abyss question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tetra_koiwai
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Tetra_koiwai's Homepage Send Tetra_koiwai a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm in an encounters group and I'm writing up a semi long back story for one character who in turn is going to be part of a group of people who work for the abyss (specifically Graz'zt and Rhylaxli) There will be nine of them in total and I was curious if I could ask you guys some questions.

One: Can Demon lords have chosen? Since one demon lord lost his divinity doesn't that mean the "Prince of Demons" title is up for grabs? thus allowing Graz'zt the opportunity to become a deity? I mean they would seem strong enough but who would vouch for one demon lord to obtain godhood? well maybe Asmodeus would for Graz'zt but i donno.

Two: If you worship a Demon lord can they hear you?

Three: The concept behind this group of nine is that the key character right now who has decided to work with them is a keeper, who ultimately keeps secrets and information, He will eventually walk the planes and travel the multiverse to gain as much information as possible and share it with those who would hire him or simply write it down to become the greatest bard who ever lived. (I liked the concept of making a unique bard with unique goals) The question is about this group is, What should I compose the group of nine of for the D&D encounters sessions? Thus far I have a halfling bard from Delthuntle, (Looking for Spider currently) I have an Idea for a Human Cleric of baba yaga, A Elf from oreth who traveled via underdark,(fighter<) I think I'll go with a couple other races but Odds are one or two will die during the weeks we play. Right now the bard is the only one out in icewind dale so if he dies that's it. and I'd rather him not die to be honest!

So think you guys could answer these questions for me? I'd very much like to be the chosen of Graz'zt or Rhylaxli, they seem so nice and different compared to the other demon lords.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  20:16:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think non-deities can have Chosen... But with the love affair WotC has in past times shown for having Chosen of every possible divinity, I'm not going to say they won't throw some out there in the future.

It's not Realms stuff, but one of the Pathfinder books had some nice info for worshipping fiends... I'll be dipped if I can find the specific tome right now, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tetra_koiwai
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Tetra_koiwai's Homepage Send Tetra_koiwai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really like an answer to this question though, My character isn't out to be a chosen anyway I think he doesn't mean the age requirement (He's 16) ... I think he also doesn't meet the alignment requirment either, and he's a halfling. Pretty sure Graz'zt isn't gonna choose a halfling bard as his chosen.

I'm more curious if Worshipping demon lords allows them to hear what you're trying to share with them, that's all really.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  20:49:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: This is a great thread for me to respond to as this is my 'Mark of the Beast' (666th post)!

As for demonlords and Chosen. The simple answer (I think) is no since they are not true deities. That said, there is nothing prohibiting you from allowing them to infuse a worshipper/follower with abyssal power. After all, the various demonlords are infused with power from the abyss, why not allow them to siphon some of that power off to a favored agent?

There are agents (written up with prestige classes in 3.x) of infernal powers that, presumably, have some method of hearing their agents. Since they are not actual gods, there is likely some ritual involved in establishing a link...but that is 'behind the curtain' so to speak. The end result is a yes.

The Infernal Nine, if I were making them all myself would likely include the following:
1. Anti-Paladin (human male, perhaps with demonic heritage of some sort).
2. Ranger/Rogue (tiefling female, specializes in tracking on the lower planes).
3. Barbarian (half-orc [or full orc, if allowed]).
4. Fighter/Cleric (dwarf or durzagon).
5. Sorcerer (human with infernal bloodline).
6. Wizard (elf/drow/half-elf, take your pick).
7. Cleric (of Graz'zt, human female and very depraved).
8. Cleric (of Graz'zt, human male and brother to the other priest, also very depraved).
9. Bard (with some levels of Rogue and Fighter).

Now, I have a very twisted mind at times and I am all about intresting story lines. All of them would be CE or NE and (because I'm twisted) the priests would also be lovers...because that sort of thing just makes sense to worshipers of someone like Graz'zt. Yes I know it's sick, but I play with adults (and it's not as if I've never played penultimate LG characters who would never even think such a thing...it's all about capturing the 'flavor' of the campaign you're running).

I hate 'stupid' evil so all of them should use common sense in their dealings with the world around them. Perhaps portraying themselves as decent folks even though they are all murderous psychopaths. Anyway, I hope this all helps.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Tetra_koiwai
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  20:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Tetra_koiwai's Homepage Send Tetra_koiwai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arcanmach. Any sorces to site?

If I had to go with nine though, I'd like to name em something better than the infernal nine.

although I do like the anti paladin He is subject to being lawful evil, which is meh... Ranger seems fine, Barbarian minotaur seems more useful than an orc. If i had to go with a fighter or cleric I'd want to go with the... Verin, would go with the over all feel in my opinion. as for the sorcerer, looks good, Wizard... isn't that the same thing. I'd switch it out for something else. the clerics however, wincest is fine by me but racial wise I donno if humans would fit well with this, again verin seem to be the way to go. as for the bard Got that covered. Question is, When they're all split up what would the teams comprise of? The two clerics and a wizard? The bard the ranger and the paladin? Hmm. Needs some tweeking but other wise looks good.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  21:13:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Infernal Nine was just a 'catch phrase' of sorts.

I'm sure there is a CE version of a paladin somewhere out there (in fact, I think the 3.e Unearthed Arcana has one).

I agree a minotaur sounds better.

Dunno what a 'verin' is (off the top of my head anyway).

As for splitting them up you can cut it down the middle. Two warrior types, 1 priest and 1 arcane caster each with the bard joining either one (likely the one without the ranger/rogue).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Tetra_koiwai
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  21:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Tetra_koiwai's Homepage Send Tetra_koiwai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah sounds good. I'll use this as a platform to base my characters off of for the next sundering encounters series. I do wonder though, Hellish energy is hot and kinda angry i think, what does abyssal energy feel like? Would it surge in someone like chaos? Would they feel a slight tinge of madness or... what would happen to the person?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  02:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder's Antipaladin isn't subject to being lawful evil; in fact, he's required to be chaotic evil.

Which I've always found rather annoying, as it denies Asmodeus, the evil deity most deserving of a paladin-esque follower- such a servant.

Then again, I ignore the hell out of that particular rule; the DM is under no obligation to follow alignment requirements.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  14:31:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5e you can channel the power of any good outsider up to and including the Celestial Paragons - godlike outsiders equivalent to demon princes and archdukes of hell in power - but you need epic level magic to channel that kind of power. There's no reason why you couldn't channel the power of an evil outsider in the same way, it's just that evil outsiders tend to prefer to possess the vessels of their power rather than give it away.

Demon lords have the capability to hear a worshiper but it's not automatic like the gods hearing however many words before and after their name is spoken. A demon lord would have to be actively following the worshiper trying to talk to it or have some subtle magic in place that alerts them to their name being spoken.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  15:16:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think people really need to take a step back and ask themselves... what is a "chosen"? A "chosen" is simply an individual endowed with extra abilities by another being. Therefore, nearly anyone can have a "chosen". How much power can they endow to an individual depends on the power of the being doing the endowing themselves. So, some "chosen" endowed by an abyssal lord might only get some damage reduction or immunity to fire, whereas some chosen of a god might get 4 or 5 different abilities, and others may get really amazing ability.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  20:36:52  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the edition. In 2e many demonlords were actually demi- and lesser deities in their own right, and as such had proxies/chosen just like the other deities
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  21:46:38  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tetra_koiwai

So I'm in an encounters group and I'm writing up a semi long back story for one character who in turn is going to be part of a group of people who work for the abyss (specifically Graz'zt and Rhylaxli) There will be nine of them in total and I was curious if I could ask you guys some questions.

One: Can Demon lords have chosen? Since one demon lord lost his divinity doesn't that mean the "Prince of Demons" title is up for grabs? thus allowing Graz'zt the opportunity to become a deity? I mean they would seem strong enough but who would vouch for one demon lord to obtain godhood? well maybe Asmodeus would for Graz'zt but i donno.

I don't think the prince of Demons is a true Deity, it's just a title to describe the most powerful Demon in the Abyss. I believe the closest thing to Chose for Fiends would be Warlocks. But ironically they choose the Fiend.

quote:

Two: If you worship a Demon lord can they hear you?

Probably (guessing) but in a less focus way than a true God would.

quote:

Three: The concept behind this group of nine is that the key character right now who has decided to work with them is a keeper, who ultimately keeps secrets and information, He will eventually walk the planes and travel the multiverse to gain as much information as possible and share it with those who would hire him or simply write it down to become the greatest bard who ever lived. (I liked the concept of making a unique bard with unique goals) The question is about this group is, What should I compose the group of nine of for the D&D encounters sessions? Thus far I have a halfling bard from Delthuntle, (Looking for Spider currently) I have an Idea for a Human Cleric of baba yaga, A Elf from oreth who traveled via underdark,(fighter<) I think I'll go with a couple other races but Odds are one or two will die during the weeks we play. Right now the bard is the only one out in icewind dale so if he dies that's it. and I'd rather him not die to be honest![/quote]

I leave this for the creative folks.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  00:20:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler Alert

The answer to the OPs question is yes. Archdevils, not just the God of Sin, can have Chosen according to the Advesary as can Saints, not just Gods, but Saints, Exarchs, Demigods, Archdevils and other miscellionous Patrons.

And Warlocks are no more inherantly chosen then Cleric or Paladin's are, they can be, but its not inherent.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  00:22:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS if ArchDevils can its reasonable that so can Demon Princes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000