Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sundering: To Rule Two Worlds
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  23:05:37  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dragon magazine 427 features an Eye on the Realms article on the Sundering by Ed Greenwood.

The Sundering:To Rule Two Worlds
By Ed Greenwood
As Abeir and Toril move apart, a few fell
entities seek to rule parts of both worlds.
A handful of heroes oppose them, but they
need help—and fast.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dragon/2013September

Yan
Playtester

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  23:44:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the concept of Worldfire in that article. It left me wondering if the magical artifact in Amruthat that Thay relied on before the Time of Troubles was powered by Worldfire.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  01:29:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd like to know more about this guy. Zulkir of what school (thinking either divination, illusion, or transmutation)? When was he in Thay? What exactly did he foresee? Where did he go?

"Talaskos Murthrond is a handsome, purring voiced former Zulkir of Thay who long ago foresaw Szass Tam’s rise, faked his own demise, and departed his homeland for a skulking existence spent hiding in remote places of Faerûn amid magical mists."

On the worldfire/Amruthar artifact idea, one idea that had been in my head way back when was that Thay reminded me of Glantri (both were magocracy's that opposed religion) and it had a similar artifact that controlled how much magic was in the world.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  01:36:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imaskar is the magicracy that opposed magic, Thay has no problem with religion, or at least no religion that doesn't pose a threat to it (I'm talking pre 4e).

Of course post 4e Thay all but belongs to the church of Bane and has banned other faiths.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  03:41:57  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a membership for DnD Insider (something that I do NOT regret, for the most part...they aren't getting my money until they prove themselves worthy again) so what is Worldfire and what previous lore do we have for it? Or is this just gonna be another lame attempt to retcon ideas into the Realms?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  04:46:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I don't have a membership for DnD Insider (something that I do NOT regret, for the most part...they aren't getting my money until they prove themselves worthy again) so what is Worldfire and what previous lore do we have for it? Or is this just gonna be another lame attempt to retcon ideas into the Realms?

I'd not call Ed-written material a lame retcon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  05:05:47  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any author has up points and down points my good Mr Rupert.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  06:16:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Any author has up points and down points my good Mr Rupert.

I'm not questioning the quality; I've more than once stated that Ed's fiction doesn't really work for me.

I'm asking how the creator of the setting can be said to be retconning something.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  06:28:30  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even the creator of a setting can retcon, otherwise known as a new idea that they had and wanted to add into their creation after their creation has been packaged and sold for 3 decades. So while I am holding out hope that worldfire has existed for Ed since the early days of the Realms and this has just been his first opportunity to introduce it...given WotC's history, I can understand someone being skeptical of the origins of new lore even when it is presented by someone in authority like Ed...as the saying goes, if it sounds and looks like a duck then it's a duck...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  07:06:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense intended towards those who've participated in this scroll, but I can't think of a better way to mentally handicap one's ability to enjoy the Realms or otherwise crap on a conversation and send it spiraling down the drain than by applying a false test to all newly published material that says any content not grounded in prior lore is a retcon.

So how about we just avoid the whole concept of "retcon" for now and get back to the subject at hand, hey?

Thus, the concept of Worldfire:
quote:
...the concept of draining the energies of one world or plane of existence through a magical conduit, ravaging it locally in the process, to empower a spellcaster in another beyond the powers they would normally be able to wield.
That's the clinical definition.

Readers should also know this isn't meant to imply some sort of "raging conflagration" or thing of "ravening destruction", nor something that involves fire. Rather it's just a potent source of power, one dangerous to those who try to wield it if they're not careful and exacting in their efforts.

The definition should give a clue as to why I thought of the artifact in Amruthat, because the artifact seems to empower spellcasters in a way similar to what Worldfire does.

Other concepts introduced in the article include lurking legend and paronder.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  07:14:03  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds ripe for a planescape adventure :D ..... M-M , I want finder back.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  07:34:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting you should mention Finder, as the article states in the second paragraph that outside of wizards, priest of Mystra and sages with a focus on the Art, bards too know something of the Secrets of the Art embodied in the terms worldfire, lurking legend and paronder.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  08:19:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Wooley: I'm not implying that Ed is retconning anything, sorry for that misunderstanding. What I am stating (as a possibility) is Ed could have 'agreed' to a new concept brought on by WotC staff. Given that another thread has mentioned a change in what succubi/incubi are likely to be in 5e, I'd say that the possibility of retcons are still up for application to the Realms. That's just my two cents, didn't mean to cause the thread to degenerate into something unintentional.

Since we now have a tentative definition of what 'worldfire' is we can now move on to something more constructive (it doesn't seem like a retcon now). I say 'tentative' because I'm sure more will be revealed beyond the scope of the definition given.

My speculation: 'Ravaging it locally' could mean something akin to defiler magic from Athas (since ravening fire isn't occurring). Or, it could deplete magic from that world (since in the Realms magic=life...and this ties into defiler magic as well).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  08:54:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So going by the definition of worldfire does that imply that the Red Wizards using that artifact in Amruthar (or whatever it is called) were draining magic from Abeir (before the two worlds rejoined) to empower themselves.

If so, i love that idea. When i get round to rewriting how Abeir and Toril rejoined i will make Abeir full of wraiths - people that were drained of their magic to fuel the Red Wizard's spellcasting.

Then when the worlds join these wraiths are going to want revenge (on everyone of course because they are insane undead).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  08:59:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And any new ideas are welcome if they are well thought out and dont outright contradict or annihilate old lore in my book.

I liked the idea of the shadow weave when it was introduced in 3rd edition (the implementation was a little sloppy).

I loved the idea of rejoining abeir and toril and sleeping primordials. Again the implementation was sloppy, in fact so sloppy someone needs shooting but its nothing i cant rework.

This worldfire idea is looking great especially since it helps explain old lore. I will have to look into it more.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  09:20:57  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the concept of Worldfire brought by Ed.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  10:48:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lurking legend and paronder, what the heck are those?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  12:21:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Imaskar is the magicracy that opposed magic, Thay has no problem with religion, or at least no religion that doesn't pose a threat to it (I'm talking pre 4e).

Of course post 4e Thay all but belongs to the church of Bane and has banned other faiths.

Glantri outlawed religion except for a few cults. Thay made it take a back seat and made sure that they understood they would have no hand in governance.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  12:22:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

from the article

A third is worldfire, the concept of draining the
energies of one world or plane of existence through a
magical conduit, ravaging it locally in the process, to
empower a spellcaster in another beyond the powers
they would normally be able to wield.3

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  12:29:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

So going by the definition of worldfire does that imply that the Red Wizards using that artifact in Amruthar (or whatever it is called) were draining magic from Abeir (before the two worlds rejoined) to empower themselves.

If so, i love that idea. When i get round to rewriting how Abeir and Toril rejoined i will make Abeir full of wraiths - people that were drained of their magic to fuel the Red Wizard's spellcasting.

Then when the worlds join these wraiths are going to want revenge (on everyone of course because they are insane undead).

Not necessarily. Bear in mind, if it was a Raumathari constructed artifact, it could be that they built it to drain from the world that the invading orcs were coming from for the Orcgate wars (possibly after the war ended). It could also have been an item created by the Theurgist Adepts or Imaskari to draw upon the magic of the world from which the Mulan slaves were drawn (which COULD explain why its said that that world had no magic... and as some believe, that world could have been earth... or another world).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  12:32:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and nothing says that another world has to be another prime... it can just as easily pull energy from say an inner or outer plane. Hmmmm.... wonder if anyone drew in the energy of Mystra's home plane when it was destroyed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  12:48:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The possibilities as always are endless

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  13:47:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no such thing as a 'retcon', at least not in FR. We have canon evidence of things that "make changes backwards and forwards in time", ergo, with a simple (chronomantic) ritual, you alter the past, and WALLA, 'bright new future' (or dim one - whatever the case may be).

So if the Sundering is this 'tear in reality' it sounds like, and Ao split worlds, etc... that means Abeir-Toril's history was already retconned, right from the beginning (not the published beginning, but the 'Dawn of Time' for FR). Its was never a perfect fix, so every few milenia he has to break-out the 'Gorilla Glue' and paste things together anew (especially with those pesky elves constantly mucking with the timestream).

At least, thats my take. They can do whatever they want to FR in 5e, and if its good, I'll buy it. The term 'retcon' has become completely defused in my head (in regards to FR).

As for ruling two worlds - I'd be happy just ruling this one.

EDIT: Forget that puny Thayan artifact - what we really need to be focusing on is the The Shadow of Ao (see the 4e campaign guide, pg.210) - apparently "the relic is said
to have the power to twin the world anew.
"

As he did in the beginning, Ed once-again hid a 'reset switch' right in the lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2013 13:57:07
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  23:35:56  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This worldfire seems to fit in perfectly with Szass Tam's ritual to become an overgod and remake existence. He would have to be tapping into Toril itself to attain that much power.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  02:13:38  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
still seems a fundamental flaw in thinking that some mere ritual could overwhelm AO.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  03:37:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woot!

Lunchtime reading from Ed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  20:58:05  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

still seems a fundamental flaw in thinking that some mere ritual could overwhelm AO.

Well, we don't know that it can. Nobody's ever tried it, and for all we know, it might simply wipe Tam out along with all of Thay (or more). Archwizards often overestimate what they can do. HOWEVER, I like the idea. Magic is not supposed to have an end. There are things that no mage has yet discovered how to do, but it doesn't mean they can't be done. The spell was probably planted on Faerun by some evil god.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  01:29:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
silverwolfer

That may be untrue, since the source of the ritual was never revealed. Szass Tam could have quite easily obtained this knowledge from other worlds, from other planes, even powers and deities (and competitors?) from entirely outside of Ao's dominion - regardless whether they be living or long, long dead and forgotten.

Planescape lore (and, to a lesser degree, Spelljammer lore) warns of worlds which have been destroyed by arrogant mortals wielding inexplicable god-defying magics they found floating around the deepest layers of the Astral or the Abyss. The DarkSun world, Athas, is a well-known example of how a world and its gods can die from wanton abuse of powerful magic.

Of course the final fact of the matter is that far too many people (and a few corporations) have invested far too much love into the Realms. While Toril might be forced to sometimes endure some heavyhanded wholesale butchery and cratering it's just too much of a beloved cash-cow to ever be apocalyptically incinerated, no matter how cool Szass Tam or Cyric or Shar or Volo some other force of raw unstoppable destruction might appear. The so-called world of Abeir, however, is a bit of a pariah - methinks it might be sacrificed on the hungry altar of Edition Updates if and when Wizbro feels confident that the time for "something big and world shaking" is needed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  01:44:43  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think dark sun is a bad example thou, the magic system is basically the equal of maybe mid or mid-high level magic, and you draw from the plants and such, it is sort of like druid magic filtered through crack. While faerun magic is pretty much on a divine spigot.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  03:16:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referring to the consequences of magic use on Athas, and only as an illustrative example.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  03:40:21  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
silverwolfer

That may be untrue, since the source of the ritual was never revealed. Szass Tam could have quite easily obtained this knowledge from other worlds, from other planes, even powers and deities (and competitors?) from entirely outside of Ao's dominion - regardless whether they be living or long, long dead and forgotten.

Planescape lore (and, to a lesser degree, Spelljammer lore) warns of worlds which have been destroyed by arrogant mortals wielding inexplicable god-defying magics they found floating around the deepest layers of the Astral or the Abyss. The DarkSun world, Athas, is a well-known example of how a world and its gods can die from wanton abuse of powerful magic.

Of course the final fact of the matter is that far too many people (and a few corporations) have invested far too much love into the Realms. While Toril might be forced to sometimes endure some heavyhanded wholesale butchery and cratering it's just too much of a beloved cash-cow to ever be apocalyptically incinerated, no matter how cool Szass Tam or Cyric or Shar or Volo some other force of raw unstoppable destruction might appear. The so-called world of Abeir, however, is a bit of a pariah - methinks it might be sacrificed on the hungry altar of Edition Updates if and when Wizbro feels confident that the time for "something big and world shaking" is needed.

It's also worth noting that Vhostym the Sojourner (a gith spellcaster from Paul Kemp's excellent "Erevis Cale" trilogy) recalled his memories of having killed entire worlds. He was a 10,000 year old epic level mage and psion, who had probably plane walked just about everywhere. So you're correct. The existence of magic powerful enough to destroy planets is not a new idea in FR.

We may even consider the elves. The Sundering was accomplished by magic, as well as the complete destruction of Jhaamdath and Miyeritar. I believe it was the dragons who created the Tears of Selune using magic. The sarrukh accidentally wiped out one of their own empires using magic (rerouting a major body of water to defeat the phaerimm). The phaerimm were destroying Netheril with life draining spells. The Imaskari kept the Mulan gods from answering the prayers of their faithful with magic.

So given that we've seen magic decimate empires, it's quite feasible that magic could become powerful enough to destroy worlds. And of course, we have some lore to provide evidence that magic has done just that, at least a few times in the past.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000