Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sundering: To Rule Two Worlds
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  13:24:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awwwww... don't kill off Abeir. I've grown rather fond of it, as a tool.

How about this - Abeir gets broken apart with much of it re-absorbed by Toril, which allows all sorts of in-setting fixes. Pretty sure that how they are going to handle it with this Sundering thing anyway. Buuuut... how about instead of the rest still being its own world, it gets shunted into 'the mists', as either a new continent in the Domains of Dread, or as part of the core. We just use RL as our dump for the unwanted parts.

Ravenloft as a 'planer landfill'... kinda like New Jersey.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  15:33:17  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Awwwww... don't kill off Abeir. I've grown rather fond of it, as a tool.

Have you actually used it for gameplay, in any real practical sense? Or just for theorizing or as an abstract tool for "fixing" lore elements?

Kill it with fire, I say. No bits and pieces raining down on Toril. All of it can go, won't miss it for a nanosecond.

In fact, use this retro-temporal-world-altering magic that "isn't retconning" to say that it existed only so long as it needed to for AO's purposes - and that now it's no longer needed, it can be "erased from the design" retroactively because AO's purpose and need for it is not only complete but no longer exists.

So originally it didn't exist, then it did, but now it no longer exists because the second sundering has effectively erased its necessity. Like an errant timeline fading into the mists of non-creation, the paradox is resolved with it fading from existence.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  15:52:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have I actually used it in game-play? NO.

Have I used it as more then as a 'theoretical fix' for my over-all campaign(s)? YES.

My current mash-up - The Misbegotten Realms - includes the island sub-continent of Dathia, which has nearly all of the Returned Abeir lore attached to it (with the exception of Fimbrul & Relmaur, which will be shunted up North somewhere). Ed Greenwood wrote that lore, and although I do not like the continent of Returned Abeir as presented, the lore itself is worth keeping. I merely moved it closer and made it infinitely more useful (I have an entire campaign planned for that region, which includes dragonborn and Red Curse Inheritors).

As of now, everything they have said points to the fact that 4e happened - they aren't doing a reset. If anything, they are moving the setting further forward. Since they aren't 'erasing' the lore, that means it all existed; what would be the point of just eliminating all of it now? It still won't go away - its here to stay. I'd rather use it then "just send it home."

We are never getting the 'classic Realms' back - we have our old boxes for that. Even if it looks and feels a lot like the old Realms, it still won't be, so no matter what, those that want that won't be happy. Trust me, I was one of the biggest proponents of a complete reset (heck, it worked for ST), but it isn't going to happen. We have to play the hand we are dealt (or just walk away).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2013 :  15:59:36  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Have I actually used it in game-play? NO.

Have I used it as more then as a 'theoretical fix' for my over-all campaign(s)? YES.

My current mash-up - The Misbegotten Realms - includes the island sub-continent of Dathia, which has nearly all of the Returned Abeir lore attached to it (with the exception of Fimbrul & Relmaur, which will be shunted up North somewhere). Ed Greenwood wrote that lore, and although I do not like the continent of Returned Abeir as presented, the lore itself is worth keeping. I merely moved it closer and made it infinitely more useful (I have an entire campaign planned for that region, which includes dragonborn and Red Curse Inheritors).

As of now, everything they have said points to the fact that 4e happened - they aren't doing a reset. If anything, they are moving the setting further forward. Since they aren't 'erasing' the lore, that means it all existed; what would be the point of just eliminating all of it now? It still won't go away - its here to stay. I'd rather use it then "just send it home."

We are never getting the 'classic Realms' back - we have our old boxes for that. Even if it looks and feels a lot like the old Realms, it still won't be, so no matter what, those that want that won't be happy. Trust me, I was one of the biggest proponents of a complete reset (heck, it worked for ST), but it isn't going to happen. We have to play the hand we are dealt (or just walk away).

Okay look, for one thing it's just not necessary to say the same old thing for the millionth time. I'm fully aware that they're not doing a reset to 1E or whatever, and that 4E Realms "happened".

HOWEVER, we still don't know exactly what a lot of the changes will be for 5E/Next. We just don't.

I'm in fact teasing you for your idea of the temporospatial "non-retcon" revisionism that you said was theoretically possible. Because the changes of the Sundering go backwards in time as well as forward, it is in fact possible to erase various things from future existence -without- having them be retcons. The 4E timeline happened, yes, it all existed and was real.

But because of the non-retcon timechange working in the past as well as the present and future, ANYTHING is possible.

That includes a possible future Realms that had Cyric and a ToT historically, but also didn't, in the new reality - because those elements were "wiped away" by the Sundering's timewinds. It's YOUR idea, I'm just taking it to its logical, yet paradoxical, possible conclusion.

And hey, it's wonderful that you liked parts of it and can use those in your homebrew mashup. That's exactly what a commercial product is for, but it doesn't mean that it needs to be retained as it is for 5E/Next in its current form.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 20 Sep 2013 16:07:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000