Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Companions"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

mattymoron
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  21:53:54  Show Profile Send mattymoron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had very deep misgivings going into this, knowing what was happening, and even as I was reading it didn't feel right, initially. But, by the end, I felt like Salvatore earned it, with the writing. It didn't feel cheap, it didn't feel easy, by the time I had finished it. I wrote a full review, I'd appreciate anyone willing to give it a read and share your thoughts.

Here's a link: http://quazen.com/games/roleplaying/the-companions-review/

Edited by - mattymoron on 10 Aug 2013 21:54:40
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  02:08:18  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good and deep review, its clear you put alot of thought into it matty.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  02:21:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else take a good look at the poem/prophecy at the very start?

Each Stanza is about one of the Sundering novels in order.

The first one is about the Companions and the second is about the Godborn, and are obvious now.

But the others hide interesting hints.

So here are my guesses based on the poem.

The Advasary is the Succubus who betrayed Hell for the Aboleths in the first Brimstone Angels books.

Second guess in the Reavers a Storm will refill the Sea of Fallen Stars back to its previous levels. Dawn born likely refers to a Chosen of Lanthander or Horus-Ra. Tempus born of the storm maybe the actual storm or a chosen of Talos or both.

In the Sential I think a major battle is lost because of the seperation of Abier and Toril. There maybe a chosen of Helm to protect.

In the Herald there is more of a focus on the war in the dales and Cormyr region. Also it will show how the Sundering ends and the aftermath.

What Ice-Locked stars unmoving means I don't know, but the Gods maybe the ice-locked stars, and I'm not sure what the threefold threats are, any guesses?
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  03:06:38  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The companions was fantastic start to finish. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  04:48:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book earlier today. Once I got it, I plowed through it. I must say, Salvatore has me hopeful again. Ever since Ghost King, the books had really gone downhill for me, but I kept reading because I wanted to know what happens. But I really enjoyed this one, and I'm glad Cat caught Drizzt in time.

The only thing that bothered me was the constant time jumping. Each chapter would either backtrack or jump ahead. But that's a minor thing in the larger scheme of it all.

Now if only Zak would return...

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  05:30:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Anyone else take a good look at the poem/prophecy at the very start? Each Stanza is about one of the Sundering novels in order.

The first one is about the Companions and the second is about the Godborn, and are obvious now. But the others hide interesting hints.

I agree, it's a pretty fun inclusion to have a sort of prophecy. Always adds to the mystery, and it's fun to try and figure them out.

quote:
So here are my guesses based on the poem.

The Advasary is the Succubus who betrayed Hell for the Aboleths in the first Brimstone Angels books.

Perhaps. But it says, "The adversary vies with fiend-wrought enemies, opposing the twisting schemes of Hell."

I suspect that the Adversary refers to Farideh herself. She fights against and opposes Hell, despite using a direct line to hellish powers.

quote:
Second guess in the Reavers a Storm will refill the Sea of Fallen Stars back to its previous levels. Dawn born likely refers to a Chosen of Lanthander or Horus-Ra. Tempus born of the storm maybe the actual storm or a chosen of Talos or both.

An actual storm would be good, and it should refill the Sea of Fallen Stars, restoring the landscape somewhat. Unfortunately, that will mean that a lot of people will likely die in the process.

Dawn-born most likely is a Chosen of Lathander. Initially, I thought maybe this referred to Isteval, but this is Richard Lee Byers' book... and I think Isteval is in Denning's book. So this could be anything, because the characters in Byers' book are said to be new.

quote:
In the Sential I think a major battle is lost because of the seperation of Abier and Toril. There maybe a chosen of Helm to protect.

I agree, this is a reference to a battle that is going to be lost. We know Denning had planned a paladin and a princess, and also perhaps Malik of Cyric. So a battle where Cyric is freed, somehow? And the paladin saves this princess? Pretty still far out until this book.

quote:
In the Herald there is more of a focus on the war in the dales and Cormyr region. Also it will show how the Sundering ends and the aftermath.

What Ice-Locked stars unmoving means I don't know, but the Gods maybe the ice-locked stars, and I'm not sure what the threefold threats are, any guesses?

Threefold threat, well, I hope it refers to Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul and that the latter two have re-ascended or been restored. As a trio, they oppose the holy Triad, of course.

Ice-locked stars... not sure either. It's a metaphor, obviously, and may refer to time. One way to count time is to watch the movement of the stars. If the stars are "ice-locked," it may mean that AO stops or halts time in order to make certain changes. Or the "stars" might refer more broadly to the celestial spheres - and that they're no longer on a collision course, that they're back to their "locked" places in the firmament.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  06:48:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you ask me, by bringing the Companions of the Hall together again, he's given Artemis and Jarlaxle a fully party of companions of their own to travel and adventure with. Bob has shown that he can manage writing 2 books a year now, so it could even mean that we'd see Artemis and Jarlaxle novels more regularly.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 13 Aug 2013 06:48:51
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  12:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved it. Best thing Salvatore's ever written. Masterpiece of literature.

....That didn't fool anyone, did it? Got about 80 pages in- skimming over a good bit of that- and had absolutely no will to go further.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  22:49:06  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I might use that first part as a signature quote!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  03:24:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Advesary can't be Faridah herself, because the description of the book is that its a past Advesary of Faridah herself, and that quote means this has to be someone who is also an Advesary to the 9 hells.

There are only two books about Faridah out so she doesn't have many Advesaries, and most of the ones she has are either allied with the Hells or Shade who are the ones keeping her captive. This don't leave many options.

Istvel is not the Paladin from Troy Dennings novel, Istvel is a Paladin from the upcoming game Arena of War for mobile phones. The Game is set during the Sundering and Istvel is your guide, a Paladin of Lanthander.

The Paladin in Troy's novel is one of Helm. I don't remember.

I think you could be right about the three fold threat, after all Bhaal is being reborn in murder in Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  06:51:08  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was taking me a bit to get into it, and I'm only halfway through, but so far (despite my initial misgivings about this whole resurrecting of heroes being the basis for the entire Sundering thing--since I am more of the mind 99% of the time that character death is perfectly fine and once dead they should stay dead) I'm liking it well enough. Kind of like how the Wulfgar book was a nice break from the never-ending saga of Drizzt, I like that this isn't focused on him, especially after being less than impressed with The Last Threshold (and if I'm being totally honest, not being the biggest fan of 4e Drizzt novels as a whole). As a rule, I'm not overly fond of novels that jump from chapter to chapter between several characters, since I start getting interested in the story with one, and get annoyed when I have to shift so frequently to another thread of the plot (my mother says I used to get angry when I was little when I watched Sesame Street because I'd get invested in what was going on with big bird, and then they'd switch to Cookie Monster, because most 4 year olds have shorter attention spans or something). But I like Bruenor, I like the conflict and tension written into his choice in being resurrected, and Regis is alright, too. I could have gladly gone without ever reading another word about Catti-Brie, but obviously this wasn't going to happen without her returning as well. Given that my enjoyment of everything since The Silent Blade has been directly proportional to Entreri's presence (or lack thereof), the fact that I'm not finding myself skimming major chunks of this one (you know, since he's not here at all), is a bunch of points in the positive column.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  07:02:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

The Advesary can't be Faridah herself, because the description of the book is that its a past Advesary of Faridah herself, and that quote means this has to be someone who is also an Advesary to the 9 hells.

There are only two books about Faridah out so she doesn't have many Advesaries, and most of the ones she has are either allied with the Hells or Shade who are the ones keeping her captive. This don't leave many options.

Hrrrm... then maybe, I wonder if it could be a crusader or holy warrior. I recall that Farideh and her sister were orphaned. Perhaps an overzealous hater of demons - and by extension, tieflings? Maybe s/he killed Farideh's parents?

quote:
Istvel is not the Paladin from Troy Dennings novel, Istvel is a Paladin from the upcoming game Arena of War for mobile phones. The Game is set during the Sundering and Istvel is your guide, a Paladin of Lanthander.

The Paladin in Troy's novel is one of Helm. I don't remember.

I read three things... one talking about Denning's paladin of Helm. But the second said Denning created Isteval. A third place labeled Isteval as a paladin of Amaunator. But they were all interviews, so some of that is likely confused.

quote:
I think you could be right about the three fold threat, after all Bhaal is being reborn in murder in Baldur's Gate.

Could be!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  19:04:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it will be someone from the novels honestly. I might go and reread them both to see if I can come up with some possiblities.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  04:05:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Kris the Grey

To those generally bothered by the return of the Companions of the Hall I will merely note this fact.

The story lines of those characters had NOT yet fully played out (although at least Bruenor got to do most of what he might have done in his lifetime) precisely because the Spellplague (and its attendant time-jump) hit them. The Cattie-Brie/Drizzt relationship was JUST at the point where they would be clear to adventure at each other's side. Regis might have opted to improve himself (as he does here), Cattie-Brie was already seeking training as a powerful wizard, Bruenor might have had to grapple with the orcs on his doorstep. All those lines were cut off half formed.

All this tale has done has restored (and enhanced as many have noted) the tale of the companions to where it was before the 4E 'Reign of Terror' hit. That's not exactly unfair for an author to do. For those fans of 4E it is particularly fair as WoTC (and Bob/Ed) respected the 4E canon instead of just retro wiping it out as if it never occurred. All in all a decent solution to the dilemma 4E wrought on RAS's characters.
[/quote

Hear, hear!

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  04:40:14  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished it..finally. I'm a slow reader ok. So just some random thoughts.

-I was honestly worried about the return of the CotH, and was always a bit sketchy about the whole Iruldoon thing, but figured pretty early on that this was Salvatores solution to the 4e time jump. He really did play the long game, and in the end I'm very pleased. Not only that, but it really did make sense and enhance the story, and all of the characters seem better for it.

-Catti-Brie got a much needed overhaul. Everyone was so down on Regis, but she really just shot arrows. Taulmaril was and Kazed-hi were more interesting than Catti-Brie. And now the group has a wizard/Cleric dual class. A much needed addition.

-Regis...is now awesome. I couldn't help feeling like he was a little bit of a Regis mash with Oliver de Burrows reincarnate Realms style. Anyone else notice this?

-Bruenor was always good, but he struggle along the way made sense.

-Whoa! Wulfgar decided to come back. I was please with his decision not to come back....made sense, but I couldn't help but smile and be happy at the end of the book. I do like the thought that he might not actually be Wulfgar though!

-I'm so excited for the next book and Beast was right, it is about entertainment and I haven't looked this forward to a Drizzt book since I was a teenager and (in the 90's) waiting for each Oct with anticipation. They are just fun to read.

-So many villains to choose from. Netheril, EbonSoul, Obould's Kingdom, Gauntygrym Drow, Lloth!, Delthuntle...

-I liked that this book traveled around the Realms a bit again, felt like IWD trilogy where they traveled up and down the sword coast. I hope the characters continue in this trend. It also felt connected to the rest of the realms with dates and places and people being mentioned. The living breathing FR, that is what it is supposed to be!

-Regis could support his own series.

-Drizzt is not emo, he just grew up. He now cares about more than the now and the next exciting battle, but also thinks about his future and his legacy and all the other things that people with any depth think about.

-Would love to see a continuation of the Sellswords series with the other party.

-It would be amazing if the CotH had to join the Brotherhood of the Griffon to help defeat a common threat and there was an epic crossover series...and Cale and Riven too. I would like to see those two with Entreri and Jarlaxle. I digress...but a fan boy can dream can't he.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  04:56:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

-Whoa! Wulfgar decided to come back. I was please with his decision not to come back....made sense, but I couldn't help but smile and be happy at the end of the book. I do like the thought that he might not actually be Wulfgar though!

You suggesting Wulfgar might actually be Lolth? Wow, that hadn't even crossed my mind! Wouldn't that be a twist...

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  15:33:42  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished it!

I rather enjoyed it. Regis and Bruenor's tales were the best, and I still just don't care fore Catti-Brie. There is something about this version of her that I can't believe...mostly because RAS wizards and clerics, while powerful or seen as large threats within their personal chambers, always easily fell to the magical blades of Drizzt. It's hard for me to imagine her as a fully realized follower of Mielikki or powerful wizard.

BUT---

I wonder about the actual souls that should have been born in the bodies the CotH were placed in.

While I enjoyed how fun it was to see what the next 23 CotH book plots and threats are going to be, I still kept asking myself about the family lives that were destroyed.

Did Mielikki place all of them in possible stillborn children? Or with mothers who were all going to be barren?

Being that I'm surrounded by my friends all starting their families (and with mine going to begin in a year or two), I can't think of anything more devastating than to have my children "taken away" by some goddess' plans.

(and yes, you can argue to the fact that Regis' family was broken, bu t Uween and Kavita were going to be just great as mothers).
Go to Top of Page

mattymoron
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  17:36:45  Show Profile Send mattymoron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I really hope that whatever happens with Many-Arrows, it doesn't just get wiped off the face of Faerun. A legitimate orc kingdom is such an interesting thing, if they'd have someone actually do something with it.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  20:38:38  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder about the actual souls that should have been born in the bodies the CotH were placed in

Who says other souls were meant for those bodies?

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  20:44:16  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

You suggesting Wulfgar might actually be Lolth? Wow, that hadn't even crossed my mind! Wouldn't that be a twist...

I'm not thinking it's Lloth. I'm thinking it's one of Jarlaxle, Beniago or Braelin Janquay (who was spying for Jarlaxle on the ruffians battle with Catti-brie and Regis) and that magical mask that Jarlaxle has/had to assume another identity. Though I'm not sure that mask can clone the identity of another such as Wulfgar.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  20:46:35  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

quote:
I wonder about the actual souls that should have been born in the bodies the CotH were placed in

Who says other souls were meant for those bodies?

Then I'll say that the parents got the real ratscrew. (Excepting Regis) -you can see how the Bedine and Roundshields were ready to live their new life with their children, and that...that was taken away from them. You can't deny that.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  21:46:58  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't deny that. Of course, parents want their kids to go on to great things....

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  03:35:34  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually wondered about the souls of those children too, and it also brings up the question of when a soul is given a body. Were Cat and the others able to "claim" the bodies before other souls got there? Regis, Catti-brie, and Bruenor ended up looking the same as they had in their previous lives, so some sort of...shaping was at work.

Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  06:07:29  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As father of newborn, it is irrelevant for me what happened to those "original" souls. It's FANTASY novel for Mielikki's sake.

For speculation on who the barbarian really is, i think that carrying Aegis Fang is confirmation of him being Wulfgar. Last time I heard that hammer was wielded by Wulffies decendants, and im pretty sure they would not give the hammer without confirmation of return abilities of hammer (only returns to Wulffie and he's decendants.) And Agathas mask could not impersonate magic items as far I can recall.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  20:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best salvatore book for many a year. Just goes to show that bob is much more than a one trick pony. Gone was the constant brooding of drizzt to be replaced with the hopes and struggles of his closest friends.
For too long now i have been buying dark elf books and have been left feeling underwhelmed.
This is the kind of writing that made salvatore popular and if it continues then he will surely pull me back into the fold of his fandom.

I just knew that wulfgar would show up in the end. I guess the only reason bob did it that waywas because of page count restraints.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  22:27:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gods decide which soul goes where as is there right.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  23:47:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm surprise so many people are surprised. Drizzt saw the reborn Wulfgar in The Last Threshold. ;)

Here's hoping we get Wulfgar's story as a short, I'd love to know how he gets Aegis-fang back.. probably an epic fight, but I'd still enjoy reading it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  12:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

I'm surprise so many people are surprised. Drizzt saw the reborn Wulfgar in The Last Threshold. ;)

[/quote]

I caught that one myself ;-)
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  17:58:44  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

[/quote]

I caught that one myself ;-)
[/quote]

Could you refresh me on this? I don't recall seeing this and it's probably because I blew threw the book in two days when it first came out.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  18:10:13  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was towards the end of the book when Drizzt was searching for Iruladoon. He visited the tundra tribes and saw a particular child.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000