Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 *Need Input* PrC: Extended Blackened Fist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  23:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, this is my first PRC, and I would like to gather your input, as to what should be added, removed and whatnot, I have yet to create flavor text for this PrC, as my time is greatly being consumed by doing story writeups of adventures. It combines DWS, OOBI, and a little something extra. That being said, here is the PrC as it is currently.

EDIT: This class is designed to be a "sniper" class. I agree on the questionability of the "Time Stall" ability, however, I cannot remember my reasoning at the time, but right now, I guess you could relate it to "bullet time" from Max Payne

Extended Blackened Fist

Pre-Requisites:
Improved Initiative, Point blank shot, Precise shot, Rapid Reload, Many shot, Weapon focus (bow of choice, non-xbow) Quick Draw

Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks, Spot 5 ranks
HD: d4
Extended Blackened Fist:
LVL BAB F/R/W Special
1st +1 0/2/2 Keen arrows, Range increment bonus 10ft/lvl, Ranged precision 1d8, Ambush
2nd +2 0/3/3 Improved Crit x1, Close combat shot, Hair Trigger Reflexes
3rd +3 1/3/3 Ranged Precision 2d8, Consistent aim 1/day
4th +4 1/4/4 Time Stall, Superior Weapon Specialization
5th +5 1/4/4 Ranged precision 3d8, Consistent aim 2/day,
6th +6 2/5/5 Improved Crit x2Chink in the Armor, Free Attack
7th +7 2/5/5 Ranged Precision 4d8, Consistent aim 3/day
8th +8 2/6/6 Hail of Arrows, Hide in plain sight
9th +9 3/6/6 Ranged Precision 5d8, Consistent aim 4/day
10th +10 3/7/7 Improved Crit x3, Weak Spot, Combat Instincts

Keen Arrows
--At 1st level, all projectiles the Fist fires behave as if they were keen weapons in addition to any other properties they might possess. Thus, a normal arrow fired by a Fist has a threat range of 19-20 instead of 20.

Ranged Increment Bonus
--With each level the Fist gains, the range increments of their projectile weapons increase by +10 feet.

Ranged precision
--As a standard action, a Fist may make a single precisely aimed attack with a ranged weapon, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage if the attack hits. A Fist�s ranged precision attack only works against living creatures with discernible anatomies. Unlike the rogue�s sneak attack, the Fist�s target does not have to be flat-footed or denied its Dexterity bonus, but if it is, the Fist�s extra precision damage stacks with sneak attack damage.
The Fist�s bonus to damage on ranged precision attacks increases by +1d8 every two levels.

Ambush
--During a surprise round, the Fist can make an attack against any target who hasn�t yet acted. If successful, such an attack by a 1st level Fist deals +1d6 points. This amount increases by +1d6 for every 2 Fist levels the attacker has.

Improved Critical
--When the Fist reaches 2nd level, the critical damage multiplier of all his projectile weapons increase by +1. Thus, an arrow that normal deals damage of x3 on a critical hit instead does damage of x4 in his hands. This ability improves by +1 every 4 levels.

Close Combat Shot
--At 2nd level, a Fist can attack with a ranged weapon while in a threatened square and not provoke an attack of opportunity

Hair Trigger Reflexes
--Once per day, you do not roll for initiative. Instead, before anyone rolls for initiative, use this supernatural ability to gan an initiative one higher than the current highest score. If you are caught flat footed, you may activate this ability to act during the surprise round.

Consistent Aim
--Once per day, a 3rd level Fist can reroll one attack roll that he has just made with a projectile weapon. He must keep that result, even if it is worse than the original roll. He gains an additional use of this ability per day, every three levels.

Time Stall
--The main focus of training at the Blackened Fist is to increase ones perception of events. As ones perceptions increase, time seems to slow down. For a number of rounds in a day, equal to the characters constitution modifier times their Fist class level, the character may stall time. In effect they gain benefits of a haste spell. At tenth level, the Fist�s time stall ability increases. Five rounds per day, the Fist may have two full round actions per round. Furthermore, the character gains a +4 haste/insight bonus, and their initiative is moved up to a maximum for the rest of combat. This ability is a free action to activate and the rounds they can be used, per day, need not be consecutive. This ability is not cumulative with itself, or haste. This is an extraordinary ability.

Superior Weapon Specialization
--This stacks with any existing weapon specialization bonus, and adds an additional +2 to all damage rolls made with the Fist's bow of choice

Chink in the Armor
--You are an expert at slipping a weapon between armor plates or into seams, If you take a standarad action to study an opponent, you can ignore half of his or her armor bonus during your next single attack. Only bonuses from actual armor count

Free Attack
--Once per round, the Fist can make an Attack of Opportunity against any opponent who has just been struck by someone else's Attack of Opportunity.

Hail of Arrows
--In lieu of regular attacks, once per day, the 8th-level archer can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every level she has earned. Each attack uses the archer�s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow.

Hide in Plain Sight
--Fist's can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow , Fist�s can hide themselves from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. They cannot, however, hide in their own shadows. Hide in plain sight is a supernatural ability.

Weak Spot
--When attacking a creature of his size or larger, the Fist can make a ranged touch attack instead of a normal attack.

Combat Instincts
--If you are not flat-footed when an adjacent opponent�s melee attack misses you by more than 5, you may immediately make an Attack of Opportunity on that opponent.

Dosst streea zhah khrusta, Usstan shlu'ta xun ol, xor dos shlu'ta dormagyn uns'aa l' degahr.

Edited by - Tsynn the Sanguine on 03 Feb 2004 00:41:20

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  00:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at first glance, it seems all right. I'll need to take a closer look at it when I have the time.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  03:13:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems balanced, although I'm really not sure about the 'Time Stall' ability...?

Let me work with it a while...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  09:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's a quite good stuff, well done Tsynn the Sanguine.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done on the abilites. But what type of weapons and armor can s/he use, can they cast simple magic/use magic items. And would penetrate (for bow weapons) be a good one to add to the list of abilites, ie arrow penetration through armour or thick hide.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Tsynn the Sanguine
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  14:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Tsynn the Sanguine's Homepage Send Tsynn the Sanguine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Well done on the abilites. But what type of weapons and armor can s/he use, can they cast simple magic/use magic items. And would penetrate (for bow weapons) be a good one to add to the list of abilites, ie arrow penetration through armour or thick hide.

Well, this is a "bowslinger" class, so armor above light should incur penalties.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about that penetrate idea just last night, but I believe that is what Chink in the Armor and Weak Spot are for. I was thinking along the lines of something with a little more penetration potency, similar to the ability the legendary dreadnaught gets(The one about Breaking/Forcing A wall of force), however the arrow wouldn't break the wall, it would merely pass through it, leaving a hole.

A couple of other things I was considering adding:

Spiders Grace
--The Fist gains the ability to take on attributes of a spider for up to 10 minutes once per day. While this ability is active, the character can climb on surfaces as if subjected to a spider climb spell. This ability passively grants a +4 Insight bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. He also gains a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage and is poisonous. The bite is a secondary natural weapon that can be used once per round at the Fists highest base attack bonus, with the standard -5 penalty for a second attack. The Fortitude save DC for the poison is 18+ the Fists level, and it deals 1d6 Str/Con damage for both its initial and its secondary damage.

This is their reward for their loyalty to the Spider Queen, I spose.

Mighty Shot
--When using a Mighty bow, projectiles the Fist fires may not be Deflected or Snatched, regardless of what feat(s) the defender has that would normally allow them to do so.

Another two I was thinking of adding were:

Always Sneaky
--The Fist is always taking 10 on Move Silently and Hide. Unless the Fist wants to be seen or heard, make opposed spot and listen checks to detect the Fist's presence.

Level Headed
--When rolling initiative, any roll less than 10 is considered to be a 10. Modifiers are applied after this feat.

-------------------------------------------------------
Your input (positive or negative) thus far and to come, are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dosst streea zhah khrusta, Usstan shlu'ta xun ol, xor dos shlu'ta dormagyn uns'aa l' degahr.
Go to Top of Page

Bayne
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  21:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Bayne's Homepage Send Bayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mighty shot should have a stipulation to it...

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000