Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 So.. what does the Underchasm actually look like?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ruxpin_exe
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  06:59:05  Show Profile Send ruxpin_exe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From the surface I mean.
Like.. standing on the edge of it.. how many feet or stories or what have you do you figure it goes down? Does sunlight reach the bottom of it? I mean, it supposedly reaches well into the underdark and everything.. but is it really like.. dark anymore? It's wide enough to take days to ride across, I can't see it being that deep that it would keep light from reaching the bottom?
Theories? I guess the biggest problem is that theres probably nothing like it in real life to compare to so its hard to imagine? If someone finds some scale picture tho and posts it I will be forever in your D&D debt.

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  18:31:59  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Grand Canyon?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin_exe
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  19:02:04  Show Profile Send ruxpin_exe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The Grand Canyon?

Heh.. well.. the grand canyon is, at its widest, 18 miles wide. It looks like the underchasm at its widest is more like 300-400 miles wide.

Like, the problem I'm having with it is just fathoming it. Not sure how deep it is, or if the human eye can even see to the other side or what.

I mean I know on earth at ground level the furthest you can see is about 3 or 4 miles or something due to the curvature of the earth.. unless something is higher up than you are of course. But if you were at the edge of the underchasm its depth would allow you to see much further. So would it be easy to see to the bottom and other side? I mean, I figure we can see into space and to stars millions of light years away.. but would 300-400 miles of atmosphere haze blur the other side?
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin_exe
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  19:03:17  Show Profile Send ruxpin_exe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course then I think the atmosphere is like 3 or 4 hundred miles thick so maybe thats a non issue.. idk.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  19:05:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I don't know much about the Underchasm in 4e canon.

I don't know how deep it's supposed to be, but I would say at least a thousand feet... probably more like two to three thousand feet. So I can see a few reasons why light would fail to reach the bottom.

Clouds and dust are two easy mundane answers to blocking sunlight. This chasm is both wide and deep. It has its own wind patterns as a result of that. Plus it's going to be shadowed at the bottom which means it has cold air and some moisture coming up from below, and warmer air above; this means the chasm has its own micro-climate, and this means clouds. While this cloud cover would be constantly "boiling" and shifting, it could be both thick and constant, resulting in thunderstorms and rain, and making the bottom of the chasm dark, cold, damp, slick, and treacherous. Another option is dust. In this case, nix the moisture and make it dry. Dust blows over from the Shaar, gets "caught" and suspended in the wind whipping around the interior of the chasm. Once again, the dust cover is constantly roiling but it's thick. Here you get frequent and spectacular lightning storms from the electric charges built up by the dust, while the dust itself keeps the bottom of the chasm dark (probably a dark blood red color) and in this case bone-dry.

Those are just the nonmagical options. It's also possible that magical chaos surrounds the chasm and creates permanent or temporary-but-recurring darkness effects covering all or parts of the chasm. And the chaos makes it difficult or impossible to dispel the darkness or create light effects, or cast any sort of magic at all.

Finally, darkness could result from the plaguedness of the chasm. Maybe fragments of the shadow weave have been made visible or even tangible here, fluctuating and perhaps opening temporary rifts to the Shadowfell or whatever they're calling the Plane of Shadow now. I'm not familiar with the 4e Realms, so someone else will have better ideas here.

Personally, if I were describing it, I'd use a mix of mundane and plague effects. But that's just me and none of it is canon.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin_exe

It looks like the underchasm at its widest is more like 300-400 miles wide.

Yea, considering this point it should be stupendously deep. I wouldn't see a problem with making it 2 miles deep, with trenches going down to maybe 4 miles. Someone with more knowledge of geology would be able to paint a better picture of conditions at those depths.

But it's virtually guaranteed that people at the bottom will be walking/climbing around in the dark.
Go to Top of Page

ruxpin_exe
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  06:10:23  Show Profile Send ruxpin_exe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude thanks so much, I couldn't have asked for much more than this. I really really like the clouds idea. And I figure you're totally right in regards of more than one effect.. like on its own a bit of cloud cover, or maybe like fog would be a more accurate term? Either way, it would just be a regular fog, but in the process of the chasm being created by the spell plague the fog itself isn't entirely "natural" exactly, and is much darker than a fog of its kind would be?

Yeah, really appreciate your ideas, very well thought out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  08:01:31  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call, fog is likely to be present with the rain. That would be near the ground, created by the falling water evaporating off the rocks -- which could be fairly warm (not dangerous to touch, but warmer than normal), if you make the chasm several miles deep. So: freakish roiling clouds up near the rim, constant but probably kinda light rainshowers... then when the rain hits the ground in the deeper parts of the chasm, or trickles down from above, it evaporates and creates a thick ground fog which obscures darkvision as well as lowlight and regular vision, so all the PCs should be effectively blind for a few rounds/minutes at a time with brief glimpses of their surroundings when the breezes shift, regardless of race/abilities.

Another hidden danger, besides the moss/lichen that may be growing on the rocks at the bottom and making things really slippery, is making the fog poisonous or acidic. The influence of the spellplague could make the atmospheric conditions in the chasm different from anything we have on earth... maybe the plague corrupts the water in the clouds. Or perhaps the acid (sulfur is one readily available possibility) comes up from below and slowly oozes out between the rocks. Eyes/noses/throats will be burning, probably not enough to cause hp damage but definitely enough to distract and make it more difficult for the PCs to notice approaching monsters. Especially if said monsters are corrupted air elementals or invisible stalkers or oozes lurking in the little bubbling pools of water on the ground, all of which are immune to the acid/poison and don't depend on standard eyesight so their movement would be unaffected by the fog.

Another effect of the crazy wind in the chasm will be making the use of flying spells a really bad idea. Near the ground would be fine, but once you get maybe 20 feet off the ground you'd lose all control of your body. I stopped to watch some people hang gliding off the side of cliffs around Palm Springs once, and they said there's places/times where you can just lean over the edge at a 45 degree angle and the wind coming up the rock face will hold you in place or blow you back to a standing position... even without the glider, they just put their arms out and "fell" off the cliff, and the wind held them up. I would advise not testing that; it's just what a couple of crazy old hang gliders said. However, it's easy to see how a chasm of the Underchasm's magnitude would have absolutely insane winds. Any corporeal flying creature would be manhandled by the wind and potentially flung hundreds of feet up into the air or smashed against a rock outcropping for a couple dozen d6 damage.

Sound also behaves weirdly when there's a lot of fog, so PCs on the ground should be totally disoriented. Hissing and bubbling sounds from the ground, cracking and popping sounds from the rock walls of the chasm, a dull white noise from the falling rain... and all of it bouncing off the chasm walls and the fog. Good luck moving in a straight line toward their objective, or finding their way back out of the chasm. And of course there's no way they would be able to rest effectively or memorize spells while choking on sulfuric fog.

This could start to make it too hostile for the PCs. The ideal would be putting them on the edge of their seats, genuinely afraid, and give them the difficult decision of (A) coming up with some way of cautiously making their way through the Chasm, or (B) just getting through as fast as possible, and fighting off whatever chases them when they reach the safety (ha!) of the tunnel they're trying to reach. Either choice brings dangers they probably hadn't considered before they went in... like oozes with paralyzing attacks, and massive web-like lightning strikes that affect a huge area but don't cause very much damage (unless of course you're running when they strike). There should also be things they discover that can help them... like the fog is much thinner at the very edges of the Chasm, because the strong winds hitting the cliff walls above create breezes which push the fog gently toward the middle of the chasm.

Just throwing more ideas on the pile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  14:16:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You probably can't see the other side at its widest point, so it would appear to be 'the end of the world'.

I personally hate the Underchasm - it makes little sense. Anyone happen to know specifically who's 'brainchild' that thing was?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  17:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it was Bruce's brainchild. The intent with the Underchasm was to allow for easier adventurer access to the Underdark.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  18:14:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's way too tempting for me to bash on someone if I have a name to attach to the outcome. Sometimes it's hard to remember that it usually takes more than one. And it seems likely that this was just one piece of the much larger overall brainfart, and was probably conceived in a groupthink situation. Groupstink.

In this particular case, I'm getting kinda enthused about the idea of a big giant hole in the ground like this... it just doesn't belong in this particular setting. And part of my inspiration for describing the Underchasm (integrating a plagued status, at least) would be certain locales in Azeroth, which is not in WotC's best interest; the more I think about Azeroth, the more likely I am to go play there for a while.

But the issue with the intent as Brian states it (I'm not arguing at all) is that it was totally unnecessary, and it's not logically effective. I admit that I'm just making stuff up in my posts in this thread... I don't know what it was written up to be like, or if anybody took the time to actually describe it in canon. But everything I'm saying seems reasonable, and it would be totally unreasonable for it to be a quiet calm safe ramp down into the Realms Below. The outcome, which should have been readily foreseen, is that the Underdark is not easier to access here than it is in other places.

Meanwhile there are tons of other places to access the Underdark without any of these headaches, some of which Ed built in back in the gray box. Shadowdale, at least a few other locations around Cormanthor, a bunch of places all over the North, and pretty much any dwarf-hold in the Realms. Even if he doesn't want to use any of those, a DM can put a tunnel in any hill or rock outcropping, or just have an earthquake crack the ground under them and dump them in.

Creating the Underchasm to facilitate access to the Underdark is like inventing rocket powered shoes to make jumproping easier.

Overall the 4e changes in the Realms were like using C4 to open a drawer which a few challenged individuals had difficulty opening and so whined that it was "stuck." I'm looking at you, people who said "every corner of the Realms had been detailed and there was nothing left to write about."

Anyway, I'm done derailing the thread. The Underchasm can be a pretty fun place to TPK a party.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  18:53:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even when pissy, sometimes my mind latches onto things. Here are a couple more constructive ideas for the Underchasm.

The only quasi-valid justification for the Underchasm is that it leads to the Middledark and/or Lowerdark. Other points around the Realms at which you can get into the Underdark will logically lead into the Upperdark. The point of making the Underchasm would be that it goes deeper.

From page 3 of Drizzt's Guide:
quote:
For purposes of discussion, the upper Underdark is considered to extend some three miles beneath the surface, the middle Underdark encompasses the area between three and seven miles down, and the lower Underdark extends from there to unknown depths.

The 3e Underdark book (pg 118) changes the Middledark to 3-10 miles, with the Lowerdark beginning at 10 miles down.

With this in mind, I suggest a few things.

1. The bottom of the Underchasm is not flat, and it's not smooth. It's a mess of trenches, ridges, spikes, and holes.

2. Everything is tall/deep. In a particular place where the "ground" is 2 miles beneath the surface of the Shaar, there are spikey mountains reaching 10,000 feet in height and trenches going down more than a mile. Few if any peaks inside the Chasm reach above the rim of the Chasm, but some should be level with the top.

3. The "main" body of the Chasm slopes generally downward from the edge toward the center, and reaches a general depth of 4-6 miles. This means the Underchasm could be the site of the new "tallest peak in the world."

4. There are scattered "bottomless holes" which reach down to a depth of 10 miles or more. Probably only 2 or 3 with a 10 mile depth, a handful with a 8-9 mile depth, a dozen with a depth of 5-7 miles, and several dozen with a depth of 1-4 miles. Each of these is a yawning abyss, where no light penetrates more than a few feet, with strange sounds (or a physically crushing sort of silence) emanating. The deepest ones will be found near the center of the Chasm, and the "shallow" ones will be near the edges.

5. Speaking of crushing, the air pressure in the deepest parts of the Chasm is going to be an issue for most human/demihuman adventurers.

6. Finally, the real point of this post. There are going to be caves, speckled all over the walls and floor of the Chasm. Holes leading to tunnels. Many are dead ends, either because they were just fractures in the rock to begin with or because they've been crushed by movements in the surrounding rock, or blocked by significant rockfalls, or even blocked by wall of stone spells spontaneously cast and made permanent by the chaos surrounding the entire Chasm. Of the tunnels that actually go somewhere, most lead to the Upperdark, a few in the deeper parts of the Chasm go to locations in the Middledark, and 1 or 2 tunnels in the very deepest trenches lead down into the Lowerdark.

7. Some tunnels, and some secret caves found behind rocks or inside the spikey tors feature temporary or permanent portals; many of them are 1-way granting access from other places to the Underchasm, but some are 2-way portals. I remember 4e attempting to remove portals from the game, so YMMV here.

8. Nodes of earth- and evil- magic are of course found in the vicinity of the Underchasm.

9. Ties to the Far Realm and creatures with the pseudonatural template (if those still exist in 4e) are definitely found here.

An important question, to which I don't know the answer, is what caused the Underchasm to form. Was it part of the Spellplague, was it part of mashing Abeir back into Toril, or was it associated with Mystra's death or some other offstage event among the gods?

Personally I would go with the first or second possibilities, which means this is a fractured and fragmented landscape, baked and split apart by forces beyond mortal (and perhaps divine) reckoning. The rock is twisted and discolored (any color is possible, including translucency, plus glowing and variations in lambent heat). Some rock will be melted and re-solidified so it looks like pudding; other rock will be twisted like a wrung washcloth; other rock will be crystalline and pointy in all directions; other rock will be turned to obsidian/glass and shattered. Due to magical chaos or weird unknown plague effects, some rock could be spongey/viscous/runny even at room temperature. Above all else, this place is weird.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 16 Jun 2013 19:07:43
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  19:41:17  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In an effort to spawn lore:

By 1479 DR, almost 100 years has passed since the Underchasm came into existence. Unlike smaller plaguezones which might go unnoticed by those who don't live in the immediate area, the Chasm is huge and it's impossible to miss, so explorers will have noticed it and begun to delve it immediately. This means they've been looking for stalwart companions, going there, and dying for the last 94 years.

This means a few things.

There are going to be a few blazed paths into the Chasm. These are well-known and (relatively) frequently traveled paths, where dangerous vegetation (carnivorous plants, twisted by the plague) and monsters are regularly hacked down. Each of these paths will be named for the first or most famous adventurer who started work on "clearing" it.

Each spike/tor/peak within the Chasm which can be seen from the rim will be named. Some will be named for a particularly famous person (beloved rulers and so forth; not necessarily adventurers), and these are probably commonly accepted names. Others will have been named for several more obscure people; perhaps one for each major race that lives in the area, with members of each race insisting on calling these features by their favored names.

The most dramatic of the peaks deeper into the Chasm are going to be named. Unlike the peaks visible from the perimeter, whose names are known to everyone, these interior peaks will be named for adventurers who either established a base camp there (some of these will persist and become grizzled little villages) or made a widely known stand against monsters or backstabbing expedition members there.

The major trenches will all be named for the most commonly-known individual who either fell in (probably while blinded by fog or stunned by lightning, but possibly just due to clumsiness) or descended all the way to the bottom to establish its depth -- some made it back to the surface alive, some didn't.

Particularly bizarre rock formations (like the weird types mentioned in the previous post) will be named for one or more persons who discovered them and had a bard in their party who escaped the Chasm and survived to tell the tales of their discoveries within, or someone who brought a sample of the rock out and made it to a city to tell where and how it was discovered.

Each of these individuals has a story; they were from somewhere, and they died somewhere. Most of them had a party of veteran adventurers with them. Some were strong enough and resourceful enough to make multiple trips into the Chasm... those who weren't died on their first expedition.

Someone holds the record for the most successful trips into the Chasm... success meaning only that they survived to exit the Chasm.

Someone holds the record for the most successful "dives" -- descending into a trench, touching the bottom, and coming back out alive, proven by bringing up the skull or femur of a previous diver.

Many individuals are now famous in drinking songs across the Realms for dying in particularly stupid or painful ways.

In many cases, dwarves honor the dwarves who accomplish each of these things and downplay the achievements of others; elves honor their own, and so forth... so there are lots of names.

There are dates attached to many of these achievements; the first party to make it back out of the Chasm, the first successful solo trip across the width of the Chasm, and maybe there still hasn't been a successful solo trip from one end to the other.

Every one of these individuals has stories waiting to be written, about their triumphs and losses, their loves and sacrifices, what inspired them and what ended them.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  16:19:12  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It pays to look at what the Underchasm swallowed when it formed along the landrise to the west of the Great Rift in the Shaar.

It's most western trench swallowed the dry and dusty Shaarwood and almost reached lake Lhespen, its northern trenches roughly went between the tributary of the Pelevar and the Landrise up into the Akanul plains. The southern trench reached around the Amtar forest and stopped only when reaching the southern vale between the Gnollwatch mountains and the North Wall, and to the east at the edge of the plains near Luiren.

The underchasm destroyed the Shaarwood, Rathgaunt Hills and Channathwood. Remains of these locales are probably scattered along the western slopes of the Underchasm. There is even a small chance settlements such as Channathgate could have survived the tremendous tremors by sliding down into the chasm on a structurally sound slab of land, balancing precariously near a miles deep chasm into the deeperdark.

Cool detail is that small parts of the Chondalwood and Firesteap Mountains should have been swallowed if you look at the older maps, but it seems the mountainrange got "torn sideways" several miles to the west when the canyons of the Underchasm were created.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:15:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point about the forests. Forests present options, as far as what to turn them into.

A forest could survive basically intact, on a tilted slab of earth which holds together due to the tree roots and the support of rock and earth below.

An intact forest will probably be near the top/edge of the Chasm, serving as a landmark, and one of the established paths into the Underchasm should pass relatively near it. How close depends on what you do with the forest's previous inhabitants.

One extreme is changing nothing. The other is changing everything. Carnivorous plants could now spawn therein, and slowly spread outward in meandering clutches to menace a wider area. Plaguestrange versions of the former forest mammals and birds could now be breeding true in the forest, and their voracious appetites and newfound taste for warm iron-rich blood might cause them to wander far and wide across this side of the Chasm. Gods help a small village discovered by these warped creatures.

Another option is that the forest does not remain intact.

In this case, the fallen trees and other vegetation are carried deeper into the Chasm. It's possible that a few trees remain standing alone or in small copses, and the remainder simply rot away into the earth, but where's the fun in that? So instead, maybe this wood has been mostly transformed into colonies of bizarre fungi and oozes which perhaps form a ribbon of dangerous areas down the western side of the Chasm, but definitely lurk in large numbers at the bottom of the Chasm and in many of the trenches. These organisms feed on the plague and chaos of the Chasm, or perhaps on certain types of rock, but when PCs wander into their midst... there's always room for dessert. The trees that didn't decay into fungi have been altered into dark trees and similar types of creatures.

I like the idea of Channathgate surviving, at least partially, and now (circa 1480) being a stable camp 75-100 miles (about 2/3 of the way to the center)into the Chasm and probably sitting at a depth of about 5 miles (26,000 feet or 8,000 meters). Most of their buildings have been reduced to rubble by the slide, marauding monsters, and periodic earthquakes in the Chasm, but they've rebuilt fortified homes and a crenellated perimeter wall from the new rock they find around them. Some perished fighting off monsters, but most have survived, thanks to food and clean water magically provided by a small peace-loving halfling family who built a shrine of Sheela Peryroyl in the town when it was first founded and has maintained it ever since. A hardnosed clan of dwarves (who were once cobblers or some other unrelated profession) have taken up mining a nearby peak --which halted the village's fall into the Chasm-- for a new variety of ore.

I dunno, just theorizing without looking up any existing lore. With 4e's overall disrespect for the earlier state of the world, 3e lore is unlikely to be relevant. When we come out the other side of the third Sundering, I dunno if the Underchasm will still be there. Depends on WotC's design philosophy for mending the world.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:58:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You probably can't see the other side at its widest point, so it would appear to be 'the end of the world'.

I like this. Obviously, if you have the sky over the chasm filled with clouds (these are probably huge cumulonimbus clouds) or dust clouds, vision will be blotted out by the cloudmasses themselves or by the falling rain or suspended silt.

Depending on whether you're standing at a high point or a low point of the rim, your vision might also be blocked at various points by peaks rising from the floor of the chasm.

Finally, atmospheric conditions over the chasm could be darker, strangely colored, or otherwise weirdified by the plague/chaos of the Chasm.

Here's one possible portrayal which keeps things pretty mundane outside of the immediate confines of the chasm.

Picture a cliff, at the edge of a sheer dropoff... you can't see the bottom because a sea of fog laps at the rock wall a thousand feet or so below you, and even now at Highsun the opposite side is shrouded in darkness beyond your vision. Here and there in the dusky purple fog you see periodic bright flashes of bluish light, accompanied by sharp staccato thunder. From the fog jut spikes of dark red rock, mottled with multicolored streams and oozing wounds. The bright sun overhead is blotted out by black clouds; great fists issue quickly and constantly from the walls of these gigantic masses of darkness before folding back in. Nowhere else in the world does the sky boil this swiftly or menacingly. A dark, gritty rain is flung like sling bullets out of these clouds. When the wind shifts and suddenly flays your face with these half-frozen missiles, they burn like acid and leave welts on your skin... and if any of the "water" gets in your eyes or your mouth, you'll really wish it hadn't. If you take so much as three steps backwards from the edge, the only sounds come from the acidic rain hitting the rock at your feet and the strange thunder from the pit below. When you're on the edge, in dire danger of being flung into the abyss if a rogue gust of wind approaches you from the rear, there's a low cacophony of sounds from below. They roll up the rockwall at your feet, assailing your ears just after the fog retreats a bit from the edge. Bubbling, hissing, cracking, groaning... and an occasional wail from a creature of some sort you've likely never seen before.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  05:04:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My view on this goes towards "what will WotC do with this in 5th edition"? I know there's some talk of them using the original maps, so does this go away? If it does, then good riddance. If it doesn't then my view goes towards "how would I harness this towards interesting use?". I know a lot of people have stated they hate the idea of earthmotes... I'm kind of ambivalent to the topic but can find some interesting uses. For instance, I stated several months ago that it would be interesting to see a faction of neutral with evil tendencies Thayans form a new country called "the United Tharchions of the Shaar", and in the center of it would be the Underchasm (which would not be claimed). Thus, each Tharchion would be a truly separate portion of the world and each could display some very different viewpoints, but as a whole they work together. However, they might claim certain earthmotes that float above the Underchasm and put magical academies on them. It might be stressed to show the difference between them and Netheril that these are NOT cities where the dropping of an earthmote results in a tragedy for the society. These are areas where young mages can be sent where they won't have JACK to do except study magic and possibly learn about the cultures of their surrounding tharchs from other students.... essentially a Hogwart's where the train you ride is some means of flying. Similiarly, other earthmotes may be the homes of cloud and/or storm giants, dragons/wyverns, djinn, giant eagles, griffons, sylphs, avariels etc... that come into contention with these schools of magic (perhaps the tharchs lead magical raids on other earthmotes as "training exercises").

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:32:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to resurrect this thread, just figured I'd tack on a link to the Mike Schley map, which (among other things) renders the Underchasm. This map does not include any way of getting down into the chasm from the top... but it's not drawn to scale, so I think it's really a matter of "poetic license" and a narrow avalanche-prone path or three leading down would be easy additions.

I like the idea this map suggests, of hazardous chain-bridge roads being constructed across the chasm, and pinnacle-top communities/lairs along the way.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 13 Aug 2013 17:33:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000