Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Red Aegis RPG by Vorpal Games
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:31:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in seeing how the Red Aegis game system handles longevity. Suppose on one of your turns the character you're playing gets turned into a vampire. Or is a half-elf or an elf.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  14:36:07  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so pleased people are as receptive to this as our collaborators. We, first and foremost, want to create a game we would love and cherish. We're happy others see the value in it as well.

We have some structural design pillars to this game and the dynastic portion is one of them. The actual Red Aegis is one of the others. Keep your eyes peels more about this in the Kickstarter video and on Loremaster.

Jeremy, stay tuned on that part. ;)

Edited by - Matt James on 18 Jun 2013 14:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  06:03:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply awesome...I'm very happy for you guys!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  07:21:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious how ancestors play into the formation of new characters in a dynasty.

I am reminded of a scene in Lawrence Schoonover's "The Spider King" where the infant Loius XI is on the cusp of birth and the ghosts of all his ancestors gather (Widukind the Saxon, Charlemagne, Blanche of Castile and so on), each giving Louis a gift (i.e. a trait) that would either aid or hinder him in his life to come.

This makes me wonder how the mechanics of the Loremaster system will work, in that if one of the early characters you play pulls off something awesome, a later character of the same bloodline has a chance to acquire a positive trait in line with the ancestor's achievement.

Conversely, through random die rolls or the machinations of other players or the GM, an affliction or malady could be introduced into the bloodline that hinders all future characters, like Louis' bouts of madness.

All this and we've not even seen the game yet. Looking forward to it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happy to report that Candlekeep's own Gray Richardson is now on the Red Aegis design team. We had a great 90 minute conversation yesterday and I'm excited to see Gray's contribution to the project.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2013 :  19:49:57  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'm curious how ancestors play into the formation of new characters in a dynasty.

I am reminded of a scene in Lawrence Schoonover's "The Spider King" where the infant Loius XI is on the cusp of birth and the ghosts of all his ancestors gather (Widukind the Saxon, Charlemagne, Blanche of Castile and so on), each giving Louis a gift (i.e. a trait) that would either aid or hinder him in his life to come.

This makes me wonder how the mechanics of the Loremaster system will work, in that if one of the early characters you play pulls off something awesome, a later character of the same bloodline has a chance to acquire a positive trait in line with the ancestor's achievement.

Conversely, through random die rolls or the machinations of other players or the GM, an affliction or malady could be introduced into the bloodline that hinders all future characters, like Louis' bouts of madness.

All this and we've not even seen the game yet. Looking forward to it.

Without divulging too much: yes. The actions of your ancestors will affect the influence your descendants have, as well as the kinds of magic/technology/divine-presence that exists. I wish I could say more, that should be enough to sate one's taste for now :D
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  04:18:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I happy to report that Candlekeep's own Gray Richardson is now on the Red Aegis design team. We had a great 90 minute conversation yesterday and I'm excited to see Gray's contribution to the project.

This is most excellent news.

Congratulations, Gray!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  19:30:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just received word that a prominent Paizo designer will be joining us as a freelancer on the Red Aegis RPG. I think it's great that they are allowed to do that. Some companies have fairly strict non-compete clauses.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  21:23:58  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo's Stephen Radney-Macfarland just joined the Red Aegis team. Things are really shaping up for this project, wouldn't you agree? :)

http://www.loremaster.org/content.php?309-Press-Release-Game-Designer-Stephen-Radney-MacFarland-joins-the-Red-Aegis-RPG-team
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  03:32:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a long-time SWRPG designer too, if I remember correctly. Which is another plus for me, because I've always liked his work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  16:25:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to turn down the dials of the speed of the game? My meaning, instead of one game representing the entirety of a PCs life, could it be done in like 25 year spans? So after 3 sessions your onto PC #2 instead of finishing up with PC #3 and moving onto #4?

Also, since the speed of the world is drastically increasing are other factors such as technology going to increase too? It brings to mind Avatar: the Last Airbender in which the Fire Natiom started creating tanks and machines at first then going into The Legend of Korra series where people are flying, using Mechs (albeit steampunk), and having a stronger sense of technological advancement?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  21:22:44  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, the short answer is YES. Our core assumption is that you will play through the various ages during the standard play experience. That said, we will provide guidance for doing it in small chunks. This product will be able to support numerous styles of play and situations. There is nothing hard-coded that would prevent you from playing the way you described. The onerous will be on you, the game master, to elaborate on the 'why'. The undercurrent of the game calls back to the mysterious nature of the Red Aegis. It's entirely possible that you choose to ignore it, but you'll have to fill in the gaps as to how progression of your dynasty/bloodline evolves.

I don't want to give away too much just yet, but the players and Arbiter (game master for that session) determine how bloodlines evolve based on how the story unfolds--be it through technology, elemental magic, or divinity/celestialism.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2013 :  04:56:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So my Arch-Mage can be in command of the Deathstar eh? hehe

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2013 :  13:22:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could work that way, but the system (in theory) should discourage it.

In other words, you are 'leveling' a dynasty, not a person. Your actions during one lifetime affect the abilities of future generations.

So what you propose could be possisble, Dalor, but that would be akin to having a level five character FOREVER. If the system is designed to level over generations, then you are basically 'stuck'.

Or so I surmise....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2013 :  21:39:28  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theoretically it could end up that way. It's not a matter of discouraging it or not. If that's how it ends up progressing, then so be it :)
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  02:13:11  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Matt, if it's not giving too much away, does Red Aegis draw any inspiration from Microscope, which seems to have a similar story-telling mechanic?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  03:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but after doing some googling I'm now really intrigued by Microscope. So I bought a copy. Damn you Merwin!

Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  12:49:29  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to change my first name to Damn-You, for as much as I hear it. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  13:34:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it going to be possible to extend the number of game sessions beyond the recommended number?

I was just thinking that, aside from wanting to do more inside the timeline, some may want to go further forward, or even further back. I want to be the protein that bumps into the amino acid at the pool of primal ooze.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Theoretically it could end up that way. It's not a matter of discouraging it or not. If that's how it ends up progressing, then so be it.
I took his question to mean "the archmage he started with", but upon re-reading it I realize it is entirely possible for an archmage to be commanding a Deathstar (although for it to be the same one you've had all along would require some of the optional 'keep the same character' rules).

Or so I would assume.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2013 13:39:00
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  20:19:51  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shawn, anyone familiar with Microscope could find some influence there, but there's so many other games that have helped as well! Good reference. The nerd is strong with you! :) --For actual gameplay, I would say that Robin Laws's Rune has been a big influence, as much as the idea of a rotating game master will undoubtedly be present.

Think of a marriage between Rune and Microscope, with a healthy dose of a dozen other games. Hopefully it's cool enough that you won't say it's one or another :)

Edited by - Matt James on 01 Jul 2013 20:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  23:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Is it going to be possible to extend the number of game sessions beyond the recommended number?
I took Matt's above replies to mean that yes, that's indeed possible. The 10 session structure is the "standard" play experience, but you can certainly do more. If you're talking about more levels for more eras, then I don't know, that's a good question.

quote:
I was just thinking that, aside from wanting to do more inside the timeline, some may want to go further forward, or even further back. I want to be the protein that bumps into the amino acid at the pool of primal ooze.
Ooze wins initiative! :splortch:

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  12:40:07  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shawn, anyone familiar with Microscope could find some influence there, but there's so many other games that have helped as well! Good reference. The nerd is strong with you! :) --For actual gameplay, I would say that Robin Laws's Rune has been a big influence, as much as the idea of a rotating game master will undoubtedly be present.

Think of a marriage between Rune and Microscope, with a healthy dose of a dozen other games. Hopefully it's cool enough that you won't say it's one or another :)

Thanks for the info. Definitely sounds interesting.

Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2013 :  23:13:26  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smerwin29

quote:

Thanks for the info. Definitely sounds interesting.

Shawn

I also want to note that I am focusing a lot of decentralizing the role of the storyteller. I need to hunker down with the team to really come up with a unique, new, a vibrant tabletop experience. It may seem like a tall order, but I have a few core mechanics that might do the trick.

Either way, this will be fun!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  13:58:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I am going to use an example of something that this could possibly remind me of (or at least, a way in which to accomplish some of your goals), but I unfortunately can't remember the damn name! {self-directed anger here}

Does anyone here remember an old game wherein each player played a different alien race, each with its own special ability, and you vied for control of the universe (or galaxy, whatever). The board was essentially 'built' by picking your race, represented by a hexagonal (IIRC) board-piece, placed around a central hexagon (so I assume that it had a 6-player limit).

Beyond that, I don't remember much, but I recall it was a lot of fun to play, and although it was a boardgame at heart, it played a lot like an RPG (at least, the guys at my LGS did).

Anyhow, I am thinking an amalgam of RPG and boardgame may work best for this unique game. You are going to need some sort of 'game pieces' that direct part of the action (in this case, the 'course of history'), especially if you are decentralizing the role of the game-master.

EDIT: I think I found it - Cosmic Encounter, although I don't recall it looking like the newer version I've found on some site (30 years will do that).

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2013 15:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  22:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cosmic Encounter was a whole lot of fun. Now that you've reminded me of its existence, I wonder if I can find my old set.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  18:43:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way ahead of your Mark :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:01:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh Matt (and Brian), if only I could share some 35 years of gaming goodness with you directly from my head - there were so many 'gems' that have since disappeared.

Fortunately, you guys have Ed on your team, and what I know of gaming (and novels) compared to HIM is like a demigod compared to to an Overpower.

@Richard - yup, that and so many others from 'back in the day' were wonderful time-wasters, when folks didn't feel like playing D&D that weekend (or the DM didn't have anything prepared).

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jul 2013 16:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  18:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to let you folks know that we just posted a gorgeous map of the Namarune region of the Red Aegis RPG over at our Facebook page: facebook.com/VorpalGames

After the abhorrent map that was included with the 4E FRCG, all future Realms maps were illustrated masterfully by Mike Schley. When Matt and I were considering who we would want to bring our own setting to life, we couldn't think of anyone more suited to the challenge than Mike Schley.

It truly is our goal to create a world as rich and vibrant with lore as the Forgotten Realms and a great map is the first step along that long path.

Edited by - Brian R. James on 09 Jul 2013 18:46:04
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  20:10:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! Looking forward to more!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2013 :  17:21:10  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, we are live. http://loremaster.org/RedAegis/SupportRedAegis.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000