Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic and mystra question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Phoenix
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  16:43:30  Show Profile Send Simon Phoenix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is mystra the goddess of magic just on abeir/toril, or throughout the multiverse?

Mod edit: Relocated scroll.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 May 2013 18:55:29

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  16:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have yet to see an exception, and your campaign may have it however you want it, but generally speaking, Mystra (and her former incarnations) only have sway over magic in Realmspace. There are lots of gods of magic elsewhere in the multiverse that have little to nothing to do with Mystra.

(Also, this thread should probably go in the General Discussion or Realmslore sections!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Simon Phoenix
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  18:29:20  Show Profile Send Simon Phoenix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only read the books, so I usually don't go to other sections, sorry. The reason I asked is that because in all the books I'm reading everybody freaks over magic not working right because of the spellplague. Shouldn't everybody's spells work just fine on other planes? Like, I just finished bury elminster deep. Shouldn't el be able to take himself and the simbul to another plane and work magic without going crazy? Maybe even cure her?

Also, can't wait for your next book!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  19:06:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some deities clearly have presence on more then one plane, some deities however only held sway over one plane. In Forgotten Realms magic works best by use of the Weave, other planes the Weave does not exist as I understand it. Oh magic and spells tend to work about the same, however the reason that magic works on other planes is because of other magical sources of power not the Weave.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  19:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Phoenix

The reason I asked is that because in all the books I'm reading everybody freaks over magic not working right because of the spellplague. Shouldn't everybody's spells work just fine on other planes?
The Realms has an ambiguous relationship with the rest of the D&D multiverse. The novels and even the sourcebooks may talk about the cosmology, but they rarely discuss other settings. Partly, this is to keep the focus on the Realms, and partly this is because the exact way the multiverse functions can vary widely from campaign to campaign. Generally, though, it's fairly unlikely that Mystra is *the* goddess of magic in the multiverse. She's powerful but not THAT powerful, and I doubt the other deities on those other worlds would stand for it anyway.

quote:
Like, I just finished bury elminster deep. Shouldn't el be able to take himself and the simbul to another plane and work magic without going crazy? Maybe even cure her?
Good question. He might not have the necessary magic to travel between worlds, and even if he did, he's still using the magic he's accumulated from centuries in the Realms--magic that is so intimately tied to Mystra--which is still broken and strange. Just because he goes to another plane doesn't mean he necessarily picks up that plane's magic.

And even if it all worked out--he took the Simbul to another plane and "cured" her insanity--it's entirely possible she'd go insane again as soon as they went back to the Realms. It's the question of "do I stay here where things are bad, but at least I can make a difference" or "do I flee and retire elsewhere"? And Elminster has never been the type to back down.

quote:
Also, can't wait for your next book!
I'm gratified that you enjoy my work. It may be a while, however.

WotC is focused on the Sundering event and AFAIK has no plans to release books by any authors other than the Sundering Six. Depending on how well the Sundering does, they may expand their publishing agenda once again afterward. We'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rhymn
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  21:40:53  Show Profile Send Rhymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lore said that Ao created the universe in which Toril came to exist, and from the protoplasm of this creation came Selune and Shar. As they fought, Selune tore out a piece of her own essence and hurled it at Shar, and from both essences came Mystryl, Mystra's predecessor.

Since Selune and Shar were created from the raw essence of the universe, and Mystryl was created to be Selune's ally, it would seem to follow that the goddess of magic holds her title for every world in Ao's creation, just as Selune and Shar would hold their respective titles and portfolios. This would probably not hold true for Chauntea or other gods tied to Toril.

Edited by - Rhymn on 09 May 2013 22:20:38
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2013 :  00:07:45  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one novel, either Prince of Lies or Crucible, Mystra denies Cyric the use of magic and he is unable to use magic even on the planes.

In Magic of Faerun (3e supplement) it states that Mystra's ability to deny the weave only hinders on the material plane on Toril, but not on the planes where such an individual could work magic as usual despite being baned from the weave.

Cyric also "recovers" from the ban in a later fight with Mystra by just drawing power diretly from the fabric of the plane they are fighting on. So maybe he was just so used to work magic "the Mystra" way that his initial loss of magic was simply him not realizing that he could just draw on magic in a different way.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2013 :  01:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Mirtek: I expect that is indeed how it worked, that Cyric was just so accustomed to using Weave magic, and when suddenly that was denied to him, he didn't know how to use non-Weave magic, due to his inexperience as a god. As we've seen, adjusting from the easy-plug-and-play channeling of the Weave to drawing the raw forces of magic from the world directly is a frustrating, time-consuming, and not always sure process. After 1385, with the Weave suddenly no longer an option, it took most spellcasters in the Realms years to accomplish the transition, and many never succeeded at it. One might expect a god could do it faster, as Cyric did.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  22:57:03  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao gave mystra dominion over toril. Anywhere in realms space she is over the weave. But in places like krynn she does not rule.the dragonlance gods are very close border about interloper gods and WILL attack them if they attempt to enter without permission from the greater gods. Even wih permission,the gods of magic there will unite to destroy the outsider. Even clerics from other worlds are required to convert to be able to cast their spells.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  02:39:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simplest - non-canon - explanation might be that Mystra rules supreme over magic in the Realms, while of course any number of other deities rule supreme over magic in their worlds, yet the magic itself is a semi-constant component almost everywhere. All sorts of metaphors might apply, for instance:

Magic might be fundamentally present almost everywhere throughout the cosmos ... sort of a big multiverse-spanning "ocean", shallow and fickle near some world-islands, sluggish and profoundly deep near others ... various deities of magic might construct "bridges" or "canals" or "tide gates" or "harbours" or "rafts" (or floating "Weaves") to somehow accumulate or isolate or direct or filter magic around their particular "islands" in a more accessible or controlled fashion. And when one of these large-scale constructs violently erupts or sinks it disrupts all others on (and under) the surface, massive tsunamis and hurricanes could drown many adjacent worlds, even the most minor ripples could still be felt on worlds separated by vast distances.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Jul 2013 02:47:13
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  04:01:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Erik: I'm hoping after the six Sundering novels, they will start releasing other novels, too. Since the Sundering takes place in 1486, is your next Shadowbane novel going to take place post-Sundering, too?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000