Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is FR actually your favorite setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  17:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I started with Dragonlance. I read those books before I knew what D&D was and in the late 90's I started to make the connection of products I was seeing on the shelves. Then, a few years after getting into D&D, I fell upon the Realms novels because I had been seeing them next to the DL novels on bookshelves for so long and they looked cool so why not?

I haven't read a DL novel since and I've been running games in FR. That being said, DL always whispers in my ear and when I flip through the game products and novels the names and places certainly reek of wonderful nostalgia. FR has become my favorite but I do plan on revisiting Krynn soon. Likely through a portal from Faerun in my game :p

Anyways, this got me thinking, is there anybody on here who's favorite setting isn't actually Forgotten Realms? And if you choose no, let us know which is your favorite and why! I'm assuming the majority will be yes, but oh well!

Choices:

Yes
No

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Ozreth on 19 Mar 2013 17:54:46

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:18:06  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that I really loved the Realms during the 1E and early 2E periods, but I'd only count it as my "favorite" during 1E.

My favorite setting is the "Shadow World" of Kulthea, by Iron Crown Enterprises. Greyhawk is a close second.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love frolicking in the Realms but as far as settings go, the powers of Middle-earth, Westeros and that galaxy far, far away cannot be underestimated.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  19:10:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES!! Yes, yes, a hundred times YES!! I started with DL, and I've dabbled in Greyhawk and Ravenloft, and even dipped my toes into Athas and spelljammer, but the FR will ALWAYS bee my favorite.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  19:22:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The realms is probably still my favorite, because I can't get into Golarion. However, I will say that I find Sword & Sorcery's Scarred Lands Campaign intriguing enough that I could run a game there (noting, not fond of their prestige classes, etc... I'd probably bring in the WotC rules/prestige classes). I actually like some of what I've seen of Eberron. I'm presently reading Midgard (i.e. page one).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  22:29:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For D&D? Yes.

Favorite setting ever? No. I love the world of Shannara, Westeros, and Malaz a little more.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  22:29:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For D&D? Yes.

Favorite setting ever? No. I love the worlds of Shannara, Westeros, and Malaz a little more.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Madmage
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send The Madmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For role-playing, it was up to but excluding 4th edition. I'm staying open-minded for the Sundering and how things align after that.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  23:29:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of people might not think so since I've been a strong supporter of the 4E Realms but its been my favorite setting since I started plahing the old Baldur's Gate games.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  23:49:19  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said 'Yes', but it actually occupies equal status with Cerilia, the continent of the Birthright campaign setting. Both of these places have that 'old' feeling...magical, ancient worlds that don't feel contrived or thrown together. To me, Eberron and, yes, Greyhawk feel jumbled together. This doesn't mean I dislike them, particularly, but I would never run a game in either.

I also have a marked favor for Middle-Earth, as well as Norrath (the world of Everquest - though the latter, like the Realms, is better in it's pre-cataclysm state).

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 19 Mar 2013 23:50:04
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:11:49  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For playing DnD, a hearty yes! But my first love will always be Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea followed by Middle Earth.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:30:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's often said that you never truly "get over" your first love -- and I suppose this applies to just about everything you'll ever find yourself devoted to... So in my case, my first RPG love was DRAGONLANCE. And it will always hold a place of special significance in my heart as a result of that "first time" so to speak.

But the Realms is where I've made my home. And it's probably the only campaign setting that I have properly developed as my own with the addition on 20+ years of my own history backing it up. [My DRAGONLANCE comes up as a close second with respect to creator-owned history, running up to 15+ years of my own crafted campaign adventures and lore backing up my setting.]

So, in my own rambling way, I suppose I would say that while DRAGONLANCE remains my first love, the FORGOTTEN REALMS is the setting I'm often playing with the most.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:34:01  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with Greyhawk, but FR is my favorite.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  01:38:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
110% yes. from the day I picked up the book Spellfire, I was hooked on the realms and changed from the basic D&D rule set, to 2ed with the 2e for campaign box sets :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  03:40:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to the Realms by way of Dragonlance... I used to really like the Dragonlance setting, but moved on as I got more and more into the Realms.

Spelljammer, though -- that was my first love among D&D settings, hence my username.

The setting had its flaws, I have to admit -- inconsistent rules and supplements, supplements based on other D&D settings that were somehow disconnected from (and in some cases, flat-out contradicted) the source material, and the horrible Astromundi Cluster boxed set.

They stopped supporting Spelljammer, and around the same time, I got Volo's Guide to Waterdeep -- and for me, that one book did something no other RPG supplement had done before, and that few after have done: it made the setting feel real. It made it come alive. It made the Realms feel like a place that didn't just have a handful of people doing a grand quest while nothing else happened -- the book made Waterdeep feel like a real place with real people living their lives. When I feel like I can walk the streets of a fictitious city and get lost in life of the place, then that place feels alive to me.

Once that happened, I was hooked.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  04:15:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The setting had its flaws, I have to admit -- inconsistent rules and supplements, supplements based on other D&D settings that were somehow disconnected from (and in some cases, flat-out contradicted) the source material, and the horrible Astromundi Cluster boxed set.
I still get a lot of confused looks from my fellow SJ fans when I say that I actually liked the Astromundi Cluster boxed set. It's just too bad it was set up as it's own setting, rather than tacked into the SJ firmament.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  04:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, by far.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  08:32:40  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For AD&D... Yes
Also for a vast majority of the novels even if I never picked up another 20-sided... Yes.

I came from my own crappy little homebrew. Picked up FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the OGB to integrate and never looked back. I browsed the other TSR settings, but there was nothing I ever found like the FR series, and the OGB. It occurs to me now that other settings felt like there was very little left over on the cutting room floor. In other settings it felt like stuff was made up for that product. The early TSR Realm felt like there was a huge library full of product already done and it was being released a bit at time as to not overwhelm. Even the mouse sized print added to that.
As far as the novels, my first was the Time of Troubles series, and it would be 10 years before I picked up another Forgotten Realms novel. Bob Salvatore got me hooked on the novels enough to go collect every paperback that come out for almost every author.
Your mileage WILL vary.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  10:20:46  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My other favorite settings are Call of Cthulhu, Mage, Conan, Dark Matter

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  14:04:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think putting this on a Forgotten Realms website is going to dramatically skew the results from the norm.

Just as it would if you did it on a Mystara site, or a DL or GH site (etc).

I said yes, but as a qualifier I would have to add 'published' between 'favorite' and 'setting'. (my own mish-mosh is currently my favorite, but it is based primarily on FR).

Both GH and OD&D/Mystara hold a lot of love for me as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Mar 2013 14:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  17:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think putting this on a Forgotten Realms website is going to dramatically skew the results from the norm.

Just as it would if you did it on a Mystara site, or a DL or GH site (etc).

Totally, but I admitted that in the beginning, and it's kind of the point :)
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  17:59:21  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed reading about Narnia, Zork, Middle-Earth, and Pern when I was younger. But the Realms are a whole different breed, for me. I love this setting.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  18:30:03  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  22:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape is my favorite setting. Been that way since I started playing D&D.

Golarion is my second favorite, having overtaken FR at this point.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  23:08:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Forgotten Realms my favorite setting...sadly no.

Once upon a time it was; but other things came along that took me in many different directions!

I LOVE the Birthright setting...it just had the type of feel that I loved about the Old Grey Box. Character levels were not so very inflated, there was lots of room for good old adventuring, AND you could rule your own nation!

I'll always have a place for Greyhawk since it was the first world I ever played in...I'll never forget some of the adventures I had there and just the SMELL of the books. Yes, smell is important!

Mystara has a dear place for me too...the GAZ series was wonderful! I never played "Basic" D&D there though, it was always AD&D...and is where the character Dalor Nal'Raesik Darden came from.

I love Dragonlance because of the epic sweep of the first three novels that saw the emergence of the Heroes of the Lance; the tears for Sturm and Flint...that sort of thing. The novels there were more to me than the gaming setting.

So no, the Forgotten Realms is not my favorite setting...though for the past many years it has been the world I've played in the most.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  01:22:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I LOVE the Birthright setting...it just had the type of feel that I loved about the Old Grey Box. Character levels were not so very inflated, there was lots of room for good old adventuring, AND you could rule your own nation!
I've long had a particular fascination with the BIRTHRIGHT setting -- even having access to practically everything published for the world. It's just that, sadly, I've never had the opportunity to run any campaigns with the material, because none among my players are interested in the world.

Sneakingly, though, I've managed to slip tidbits from BR material into my Realms campaigns from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  06:57:23  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

I started with DL and discovered FR shortly after, and it quickly became my fave setting. Middle-earth still occupies a special place though.

This scroll got me thinking. We each have our own favorite setting for certain reasons. What if we tried, as a community, to make a homebrew setting? Maybe a combination of all these factors we like.
Would this be allowed on Candlekeep, and would it generate interest?

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  11:47:39  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its definitely one of my favorite settings but my absolute favorite would have to be Star Wars followed by Warhammer 40000. The Emperor Protects!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  14:17:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, it is, though a tie with Midkemia. Warhammer (Fantasy), Scadrial, the many planes of Magic: The Gathering, and the Four Corners of Civilization follow close by. But of course, as almost all things do, my "favorites" change every now and then.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 22 Mar 2013 14:21:21
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  16:24:51  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes, but my love for the setting has waxed and waned over the years. What Sage described as "first love" definitely applies for me with the Realms. The Realms is my first love, and I am still deeply devoted to it.

However, I also have other settings that I deeply enjoy. Leading among them is perhaps Westeros, followed by Warhammer Fantasy. I also want to give a major shout out to Old Man Harpell for mentioning Norrath, the world of EverQuest. I haven't played a MMO in many years since EverQuest, but so much of the lore of the setting reminded me faintly of the Realms - it has much of the same charm. (Pre-Scars of Velious at least, after that things started to go off the rails, and completely jumped off the track by the Planes of Power).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  17:13:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

I said 'Yes', but it actually occupies equal status with Cerilia, the continent of the Birthright campaign setting. Both of these places have that 'old' feeling...magical, ancient worlds that don't feel contrived or thrown together. To me, Eberron and, yes, Greyhawk feel jumbled together. This doesn't mean I dislike them, particularly, but I would never run a game in either.

I also have a marked favor for Middle-Earth, as well as Norrath (the world of Everquest - though the latter, like the Realms, is better in it's pre-cataclysm state).

- OMH

On the Norrath thing, I second that from a campaign world sense. The original campaign world was a lot more interesting with each race having a certain starting community, etc.... As a player, I prefer EQ2 for the better graphics and the customization system. However, the customization system has gone markedly downhill in my view since they made the changes in the past 3 or 4 years where pretty much only one ability score affects things for you. It made a lot more sense before whenever for say a priest your intelligence affected spell damage, wisdom affected resistances and power, strength affected melee damage, etc... It made it so that if you wanted to have a healer that did a lot of spell and melee damage and the same class could be more of a healer, or druids wanting at least some dex since they're in leather, etc....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000