Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is FR actually your favorite setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  17:19:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Is the Forgotten Realms my favorite setting...sadly no.

Once upon a time it was; but other things came along that took me in many different directions!

I LOVE the Birthright setting...it just had the type of feel that I loved about the Old Grey Box. Character levels were not so very inflated, there was lots of room for good old adventuring, AND you could rule your own nation!

I'll always have a place for Greyhawk since it was the first world I ever played in...I'll never forget some of the adventures I had there and just the SMELL of the books. Yes, smell is important!

Mystara has a dear place for me too...the GAZ series was wonderful! I never played "Basic" D&D there though, it was always AD&D...and is where the character Dalor Nal'Raesik Darden came from.

I love Dragonlance because of the epic sweep of the first three novels that saw the emergence of the Heroes of the Lance; the tears for Sturm and Flint...that sort of thing. The novels there were more to me than the gaming setting.

So no, the Forgotten Realms is not my favorite setting...though for the past many years it has been the world I've played in the most.

See oddly, the Birthright setting NOT having high level characters was a big turn off for me. All I could think is that the PC's get high level and basically they mow down everything. There should always be those people who are just as powerful as the PC's (or more powerful). However, I will give that the Birthright campaign idea was a definite growing point. Its land of shadow grew into what everyone knows now. That they had ley lines, etc... was also of interest.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  22:30:18  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A favorite certainly, but hardly the favorite. That's not counting the settings that lean towards the science fiction end of the speculative spectrum. Nor the settings known more for fiction than gaming (though FR is between both areas).

From TSR, hands down it's Planescape over any other setting. I also appreciate Spelljammer for it's *big* ideas.

From WotC, I find a lot to like about Eberron. They're the cheapest full-color, professional quality campaign setting hardcovers I own (both the 3E and 4E versions), so phenomenal bang for the buck.

My Golarion collection currently dwarfs my FR collection. I find the modular format of materials associated with the setting and the awesome presentation far more useful for a variety of uses in others games and other settings than most of my Realms stuff.

The current setting that's clawing up my rankings is Kobold Press's Midgard. It presents many of the same possibilities of the Realms, but avoids many of the pitfalls the Realm's publication stumbled upon. There are ways they approach similar concepts that 4E Realms really should have incorporated from the start.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  02:02:42  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall probably catch some flack for this, but Eberron is currently my favorite D&D setting, but there are plenty of reasons for that.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  03:51:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I shall probably catch some flack for this, but Eberron is currently my favorite D&D setting, but there are plenty of reasons for that.

I proclaim you a heathen, sir, a heathen! Fie upon you!

(Sightless, that comment is followed by a winking smiley -- not sure if your browser will properly convey that my comment was made in jest. I like some elements of Eber-whatsit, but it's not my cup of tea, overall.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  05:44:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The appeal of EBERRON back when it was first introduced, I think, caught a lot of folk unprepared for the sheer amount of awesome ideas that came with it.

I don't think I would have gone so far as to declare it my favourite setting, but it very quickly earned it's place upon my "Top Ten" favourite campaign worlds.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  12:43:28  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for saying Wooly, my screen-reader doesn’t read emot-icons, or anything image related. It doesn’t do flash either. I shall admit, the more I lern about FR, the more things I find I like about the setting, but what I loved most about Eberron was it’s use of the of a more Free-racial character. There are for the most part, no inherently good, or evil races, with a few exceptions. The magatech feel has a kind of steam-punk feel to it, which I’m a real big fain of, and in some respects it broke away from the heavily Tolkienized influences inherent in a lot of fantasy. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Middle Earth fantasy, have listened to about every Tolkien work out there, but sometimes, I want a break from that. And just as an aside, my favorite settings, and I’ve not played many have to be Star Wars, Shadowrun, and most of all Battle-tech. This near the limit of my gaming knowledge, although recently finding Drive-threw, and there text-searchable content, will eventually change that.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  12:51:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The appeal of EBERRON back when it was first introduced, I think, caught a lot of folk unprepared for the sheer amount of awesome ideas that came with it.

I don't think I would have gone so far as to declare it my favourite setting, but it very quickly earned it's place upon my "Top Ten" favourite campaign worlds.
Agreed. One of the reasons I love Ebberon is its subtle blend of a dose of steampunk and sword and sorcery. Also, it’s brought to life by some of the best authors writing for this very genre.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:02:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for saying Wooly, my screen-reader doesn’t read emot-icons, or anything image related. It doesn’t do flash either. I shall admit, the more I lern about FR, the more things I find I like about the setting, but what I loved most about Eberron was it’s use of the of a more Free-racial character. There are for the most part, no inherently good, or evil races, with a few exceptions. The magatech feel has a kind of steam-punk feel to it, which I’m a real big fain of, and in some respects it broke away from the heavily Tolkienized influences inherent in a lot of fantasy. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Middle Earth fantasy, have listened to about every Tolkien work out there, but sometimes, I want a break from that. And just as an aside, my favorite settings, and I’ve not played many have to be Star Wars, Shadowrun, and most of all Battle-tech. This near the limit of my gaming knowledge, although recently finding Drive-threw, and there text-searchable content, will eventually change that.

Ah, I'm glad I thought to clarify that. I wasn't sure if your screen reader would handle the smilies or not. *smiles*

Eber-whatsit had a lot of interesting features, and my love for the warforged in particular is well-known. The setting just didn't quite grab me, though.

I used to be a huge fan of BattleTech, myself, but the Jihad really killed a lot of that interest. Around the same time, I lost most of my Mech minis in a fire, and started playing Warmachine. I'll still make a point of buying new Technical Readouts, when they are printed (I've got every one printed thus far, including all the originals with the Unseen Mechs), but that's about it for me and BattleTech.

The Sage is also a BattleTech fan, but he has shown flawed taste and picked the Cappies as his preferred faction. (*winks in the direction of friend Sage*)

I find the Iron Kingdoms to be a more interesting setting than BattleTech, the game easier to play, and the Dice Gods don't hate me when I play Warmachine, the way they did when I played BattleTech. When I played BattleTech, it was frustrating common to have multiple weapons, all needing only 7 or 8 to hit, and miss with all but one of them! And though I enjoyed customizing Mechs, it is nice to know that when playing Warmachine, anything called a Defender is going to be identical to any other Defender.

I'm really looking forward to the release of Iron Kingdoms fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:05:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Agreed. One of the reasons I love Ebberon is its subtle blend of a dose of steampunk and sword and sorcery. Also, it’s brought to life by some of the best authors writing for this very genre.

Eberron strikes me as more magitech than steampunk... For me, steam is a pretty important component of steampunk.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:23:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Eberron strikes me as more magitech than steampunk... For me, steam is a pretty important component of steampunk.

Aha!....A steampunk Grognard!....I wondered when we'd being seeing the first of these

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:27:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted no....but its close. I enjoy The realms and Middle Earth almost the same.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:36:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aha!....A steampunk Grognard!....I wondered when we'd being seeing the first of these

Heh. I'm not a huge steampunk fan, but you have to admit that steam is in the name...

On a more serious note, I do regard steampunk and magitech as separate things. One uses steam to replicate modern technology, one uses magic in place of but similarly to technology. The Iron Kingdoms does both, though they are more steampunk than magitech.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Mar 2013 16:36:52
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  22:56:34  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. My favorite setting is Eberron. Afer that, I like the Young Kingdoms, then the Forgotten Realms. I'm more a fan of the books by Byers, Kemp, and Salvatore, which are why I'm here. The books.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  23:33:41  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*raises index* Also, punk.

In all seriousness though, I'd agree that Eberron isn't very steampunk. It's got inspiration from it, sure, but it's a different beast.

Random pseudo-scientific observation: I have noted that the "No" option is consistently increasing for the last few days. I conjecture that is due to the fact that the people who vote "Yes" are more likely to be regular visitors here (since it's a FR fansite), and as so, have seen the poll and voted on it earlier. Based on that assumption, I predict the results to stabilise around 62% Yes around May, 1st.

FR is my favourite setting, by the way.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 27 Mar 2013 23:41:58
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  01:17:52  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the use of an anology is often desirable when trying to convey a series of complex ideas, or schema with a degree of ease, without the need of lengthy discussion. The two elements are never to be considered wholly equal.

In the case of magatech, by definition "magic is used to replace technology, usually of a pre-industral, or early industrial era. Often that normally performed by Steam Engines." (Decker, 2000).

This should explain my previous comments fully, I hope.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  01:33:27  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with your assessment, Sightless. It's just that it sparked a comment about whether Eberron should properly be called steampunk, and I just love that kind of nitpicking on terminology.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 28 Mar 2013 01:34:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  03:34:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

the use of an anology is often desirable when trying to convey a series of complex ideas, or schema with a degree of ease, without the need of lengthy discussion. The two elements are never to be considered wholly equal.

In the case of magatech, by definition "magic is used to replace technology, usually of a pre-industral, or early industrial era. Often that normally performed by Steam Engines." (Decker, 2000).

I can get where you are coming from, but I'd actually read that definition to mean that magitech is when magic replaces technology, and that the technology being replaced is steam tech. So magic in place of steam, instead of both together.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  08:05:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pssst. I'm not the only one whom the title of this thread reminds of Death Metal fans?

There are many, many interesting settings, in different sense, and thus worthy of being added to "favorite". FR wins in depth and interweaved-ness. When done by the authors who heed Ed, anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

This scroll got me thinking. We each have our own favorite setting for certain reasons. What if we tried, as a community, to make a homebrew setting? Maybe a combination of all these factors we like.
Would this be allowed on Candlekeep, and would it generate interest?
Unfortunately, this was attempted many, many times. In different areas. That's how the term "lowest common denominator" acquired metaphorical meaning. Simply sewing together random parts does not lead to building anything more aesthetically pleasant than an average flesh golem - and less able to stand straight, let alone walk on its own.

quote:

Agreed. One of the reasons I love Ebberon is its subtle blend of a dose of steampunk and sword and sorcery.
If being hit by a lightning train counts as "subtle".
All this gnomish madness came to us from Krynnspace, I tell you!

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  11:44:26  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I believe that's what he meant as well, at least that's how I always understood it. Magic in place of stem. a magic train, instead of a steam powered one, etc.
I too
quote:

quote:

I can get where you are coming from, but I'd actually read that definition to mean that magitech is when magic replaces technology, and that the technology being replaced is steam tech. So magic in place of steam, instead of both together.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  12:50:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I simply LOVE the Forgotten Realms and the way its NPCs are developed, although I prefer more humanized heroes than magical superheroes. I usually modify my Realms to make them less magic and more fit for "classic hero" types.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  16:56:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I kind of like many of the ideas that came with Eberron. For instance, the continent whose leaders were hosts for other beings. The continent of Xendrik. The elves with their not really living leaders (though some will point at baelnorn as precursors of the idea). The fact that their drow are different. Now, the main continent was where I had less appeal.

That being said, it didn't draw me in enough to read any of the novels, and even though I'm not favored of 4e realms material, I'm still reading some of the novels.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  21:00:26  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, my favorite setting without any doubt.

Even though I also like Middle Earth, Planescape and Titan (Fighting Fantasy), there is just nothing that comes close to the realms.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  18:04:46  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

I fell in love with the setting before it was published from reading Ed's Dragon articles. And those articles made be realise some things about RPG worlds: they could have history and magic items could be interesting.

I was delighted when it was finally published as a campaign setting and I still remember the drunken conversation with some friends down by the Logan River when I was told it had been released.

It's definitely my favourite RPG setting - Midnight and Dark Sun are in a tie for second place.

Right now, the 4E version is my favourite version yet, although it does suffer from having the worst world map in the history of RPGs. As a result, I tend to prefer areas where Mike Schley et al have produced genuinely good maps.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

Edited by - Derulbaskul on 31 Mar 2013 18:11:53
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  18:24:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By far. To this day Ed is still my favorite fantasy writer, and his world has far more depth and character than any published before or since. The other collaborating writers have only made this more true with each new group of characters, with each new idea, and each new history. I hope I never see the day when Faerun is left behind entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  00:04:19  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I voted yes, but my love for the setting has waxed and waned over the years. What Sage described as "first love" definitely applies for me with the Realms. The Realms is my first love, and I am still deeply devoted to it.

However, I also have other settings that I deeply enjoy. Leading among them is perhaps Westeros, followed by Warhammer Fantasy. I also want to give a major shout out to Old Man Harpell for mentioning Norrath, the world of EverQuest. I haven't played a MMO in many years since EverQuest, but so much of the lore of the setting reminded me faintly of the Realms - it has much of the same charm. (Pre-Scars of Velious at least, after that things started to go off the rails, and completely jumped off the track by the Planes of Power).

Agree completely (and thank you for the shout ).

Like Sleyvas, I play EQ2 (for playability and graphics), but because it's a 'post-Cataclysm' setting, it lost a lot of the charm that the original Norrath of Everquest brought to the table...I think that was one reason I reacted as badly as I did to the 4th Edition Realms, because I consider the timeline in EQ2 to be complete drek.

And like the Realms, EQ is going back to its roots, although 'EQNext' (the new game's working title) is apparently going to reboot all the way back to the Age of Conflict and then go off in a different direction (sounds familiar to some of the discussions we've had here in Candlekeep, no?), with no Shattering, no exploding moon (gawds, that really chapped my knickers ), and a complete re-imagining of how Norrath developed after year 'X' (whatever 'X' will be).

So I'm getting a bit of what I want in both worlds, which will make me a happy old grouch (just ignore the contradiction there, please). Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also like Mystara. While equally jumbled as Greyhawk or Eberron, it has a 'quaint' factor about it, sort of like my grandparent's farmhouse did many years ago, that keeps me coming back to at least read what I have for ideas.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  00:35:38  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...but pre Time Jump only. I don't care about the current realms nearly as much as I did before 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  16:15:44  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but I only played with 2Ed or 3Ed background.

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  22:58:24  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But of course I enjoy the Forgotten Realms!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  23:05:11  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erikson's Malazan setting is my favorite at the moment.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  23:54:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes on this (of course) but I have a feeling Markustay's Misbegotten Realms will take it over if/when he releases his info on it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000