Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Create a Halfling Hero!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  01:51:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I work on my children's home campaign (set in the Forgotten Realms version of the Five Shires that I'm working on); I've come to the conclusion that I'm often biased in favor of my children when it comes to NPCs. Yes, this makes the game easy for them; but I want them to feel the need to COMPETE against a party of NPCs.

If anyone would like to give it a stab, I'm wondering if anyone would like to create halfling characters to post here?!

I'm looking for a party of two female and two male halflings that would be good natured competition against my children and their mother when we start this game.

Each of the NPCs would be only 1st level...and yes, I'm using the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules for these characters as well.

If you are interested, please give any ideas here!

Thanks!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  03:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, I'll help. I'm awful at coming up with names, though, so this person doesn't have a name. I'm also using the Burglar kit from Complete Gnomes and Halflings.

Halfling male, CN
Fighter/thief (burglar)
Str: 15
Dex: 17
Con: 15
Int: 15
Wis: 15
Cha: 10
(roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/32552/)

Personality: CHARNAME is a mischievous trouble-maker who never seems to be happy unless he's plotting his latest prank. He is physically incapable of following "Keep Out" signs, and in fact spends most of his time looking for new signs to wander past. Such antics have gotten him chased off of more than one farm or business, and he's learned how to defend himself by being on the wrong end of several irate backside kickings.

CHARNAME is a thrill-seeker, not malicious. He doesn't care about money and still lives at home with his (long suffering) parents, so he doesn't need to worry about supporting himself. Lately he's become enamored of breaking into someone's room and rearranging the contents, without actually stealing anything.

Though he doesn't know it, what CHARNAME really is, is bored. He was born to be in one of the big cities, surrounded by sights and sounds and excitement. In the back of his mind, not fully admitted even to himself, he longs to be doing big things, things that matter, and he listens to storytellers and passing bards raptly. He's a competitive sort, and likely to fixate on another up-and-coming halfling, worried, though he won't admit it, that this halfling will take the step out into the wider world and important things that he's been unwilling so far to make.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  03:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the second...

CHARNAME2
Halfling female, CG
Cleric of Brandobaris
Str: 13
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Wis: 17
Cha: 14
(roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/32554/)

Personality: CHARNAME2 is CHARNAME's younger sister, a brand new priestess of Brandobaris, and, oddly enough, the largest restraining influence on her older brother. Not that she disapproves of his mischievous and less-than-legal activities, oh no. She just doesn't want him to wander off before she's old enough to join him.

She's also wiser than her brother, and has had the advantage of discussing the wider world with the Hands of Misadventure for years. CHARNAME wants to explore the wider world and make a name for himself, but is secretly terrified that he'll stumble across a dragon his first day out of the shires and be eaten. CHARNAME2 knows that's entire possible, and also knows that her home offers far more possibilities for adventure than might be seen on the surface.

CHARNAME2 wants to spend the next year or two adventuring around her home with her brother. She realizes that these will be small, soft adventures, but she also knows that's exactly what they need to hone their skills and work up her brother's courage. And the fact that she can adventure and still sit down to her mother's fine cooking every evening is also a not-inconsiderable factor. That's the one aspect of adventuring CHARNAME2 is emphatically not looking forward to: she's one of those rare halflings who can burn water in the kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  04:13:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks Hoondatha!

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  04:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'm on a roll...

Note that I don't know where you've put the Five Shires. I think Thay is the closest slave gladiator area, so that's what referenced below, but feel free to change it to something closer in your campaign.

TACITURN
Halfling female, N
Fighter (gladiator - preferably Dark Sun version, otherwise Fugitive Hillsfar)
Str: 14
Dex: 18
Con: 16
Wis: 14
Cha: 16
(Roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/32555/)

Personality: Anyone who thinks all halflings are merry jokesters, or stolid homestedders, obviously never met TACITURN. This young halfling woman never smiles, almost never speaks, and is never seen without multiple weapons.

There's a reason for this: five years ago TACITURN and her younger sister were captured by slavers. Six months ago, TACITURN returned alone. All she would say was they had been taken to the gladiator pits of Thay, and that her sister had died there.

The truth is more tragic. The two young halfling maidens were sold to one of the smaller gladiator stables in an outlying town. In a way it was lucky for them; instead of being thrown directly into the ring to die they became part of one of the feeders for the great areas in Bezantur and received intensive gladiatorial training. They survived more than one bout in the local ring, often fighting side by side. TACITURN is a lovely young halfling woman and discovered she was a capable actress as well, able to project to the crowd and turn them to her side.

Both she and her sister realized that if they were ever sent to Bezantur, they would never leave Thay. While they trained in the daytime, they worked on escape plans at night, and nearly a year after being sold to the stable, they tried to escape.

They failed. As punishment, they were forced to fight each other to the death in the arena. TACITURN won, though she isn't certain whether her sister intentionally threw the fight. Either way, she came through unscathed, and that night she ran away again. She was never recaptured, though it took her two years to escape Thay, and longer to return home.

Since returning to the Shires, TACITURN has kept to herself. Her parents welcomed her back with equal joy and sadness that at least one of their children returned, but they don't know how to talk to her. For her part, TACITURN doesn't really understand her fellow halflings anymore either. She is a trained, experienced killer, not just a brawler like most of the halflings who call themselves "fighters," and she has not come to terms with that. She doesn't think she'll ever come to terms with her sister's death.

TACITURN's only real friends are CHARNAME2 and her brother CHARNAME. TACITURN is a decade older than them, but her age mates are all married with young families, or busy with family businesses, and all of them are uncomfortable around her. TACITURN's sister was CHARNAME2's best friend, and CHARNAME2 welcomed TACITURN back with open arms when few others did.

These days, TACITURN spends a great deal of time with the two younger halflings. The only time she smiles is when she's listening to CHARNAME describe his latest exploits. Unlike the two younger halflings, who would take any rivalry as a chance for good sport and one-upmanship, TACITURN will take it very seriously. These are the only friends she has left, and she will fight to the death to protect them.

Privately, TACITURN is terrified that CHARNAME2 will learn that she killed her sister (and CHARNAME2's best friend), and that her only friends will turn from her in disgust. She always wears long sleeves to hide the numerous slave brands that cover her arms.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  12:46:58  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buh... There are no halfling heroes!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:59:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nicolai Withander

Buh... There are no halfling heroes!

A few extraordinary specimens are able to heft heroically large platters of ale, and some of these can scamper with astonishingly superhuman alacrity when properly kicked. Otherwise - agreed - there are no halfling heroes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Pineapple
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  18:19:42  Show Profile Send Pineapple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some possible names just off the top of my head:

Biff Tumblebottom
Puck
Persimmon Tink
Marywinkle Hawkins
Rogett Upweed
Salisa Underhill
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  20:20:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? No halfling heroes?

Well, certainly few written about...but that doesn't mean that they don't exist!

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  21:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like them. You're on your own for number four, though, I'm out of ideas. Traditionally, it would be some sort of wizard, but obviously with halflings that's out. You've got all three of the other classes covered, so the fourth would be backup, and a duplicate skill set to a certain extent. I guess it depends on what you want the group to focus on. Me I'd probably grab another cleric to increase the spellcasting firepower, but that's just me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000