Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Draconic or Undead campaign?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  04:07:32  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all, I come seeking advice.

I'm considering running the 3.5 Realms again, and am torn between two kinds of campaign I'd like to run.

Option A is a draconic themed story. The PC's would be required to either have some draconic blood or a draconic themed class/prestige class. The Dragonfall War would feature prominently, possibly tying in with the Blood War.

Option B is all the PC's are undead, or undead-ish. Possible hooks include finding who turned the party, being tasked with battling the Illithids and/or attempting to return to the land of the living.

Option C is chucking all the above and running Axe of the Dwarvish Lords ;)

Any comments/criticisms welcome.

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  04:24:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AXE OF THE DWARVISH LORDS!

An all dwarf party has been a dream of mine for decades!

The other two could be fun as well, though the undead one might be difficult. You could instead start the game with a "normal" party of adventurers who fight undead...with one lone member actually BEING undead and helping the group lay to rest all the souls so afflicted. The reason they don't put to rest the undead party member is, well, they were a party member before and the group wants to hunt down the monster that "turned them" and then try to find a way to either bring back to life the member or let them "expire".

I like the draconic themed party idea second best. Their patron(s) could be good aligned (or evil!) dragons who want to help fight the opposed alignment dragons. If the party were evil, they could be their own Cult of the Dragon Cell of roaming adventurers/swords-for-hire that other Cult Cells pay to do work for them. If good aligned, they could work for perhaps a mated pair of Gold or Silver dragons bent on helping out the local village/town/city/kingdom (increasing in importance as the party grows).

Any adventure is fun though...but the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords is best!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  04:49:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Option B, playing an undead or dead-ish character sounds pretty cool. Taking elements from things like Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead and Heroes of Horror is pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  13:04:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with Diffan here - option 'B' seems so full of possibilities.

I like that type of plot: "You wake-up and don't know who you are - figure out what happened to you". Good stuff.

If you make them a party of dead dwarves, you could combine it with Axe of the Dwarvish Lords.

Not a big fan of dragons (way too 'uber' for my tastes).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2013 13:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  13:52:09  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for suggestions

I also feel there is more potential for a better story in a party where one or more PCs are undead-- themes such as redemption, damnation and the ethics of feeding on the living.

However, Axe of the Dwarvish Lords is hard to pass up, especially since most of the legwork is already done and mapped out. I too would love to guide an all-Dwarf party (undead or living) seeking a legendary Dwarven weapon.

I'm leaning toward undead, but might consider the mix Markustay suggested

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  17:31:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, in FR canon, the axe was lost somewhere at sea. My thoughts here are that a small group of dwarves were entrusted with its safekeeping... and they failed.

Now they are 'back', and the only way to redeem themselves is to find the axe and return it to their people. That ties both scenarios together.

EDIT: This isn't something unique to the Realms - there is another case of dwarves still trying to fulfill their duties after their death in The Horde boxed set (pg.37, Dead Dwarf Bridge entry).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2013 17:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  17:47:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd favor option C, if for no other reason than having a party of all dragons or all undead is going to be extremely limiting for the PCs. Their options for interacting with regular NPCs will be extremely limited, and forget going to town to resupply. Plus, a moderately powerful cleric would be able to ruin the day for a bunch of undead guys.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  18:36:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

I like that type of plot: "You wake-up and don't know who you are - figure out what happened to you". Good stuff.

Well, it's a bit easier to figure things out when you've tattooed messages to yourself onto your flesh ... just sayin'.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  19:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I'll actually be starting up a campaign within the next couple of weeks. One player is playing a young Silver Dragon/Mage, and another is playing a Barbarian Half-Dragon. There will be a couple of additional players who haven't figured out what they'll be playing yet.
The dragon is looking to get her hands on as many spells as possible (and build the basis for a proper hoard...), and the Half-Dragon is tasked with helping her do that.
Starting point will be Icewind Dale, and then we'll see where things will end up.
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  23:02:56  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd favor option C, if for no other reason than having a party of all dragons or all undead is going to be extremely limiting for the PCs. Their options for interacting with regular NPCs will be extremely limited, and forget going to town to resupply. Plus, a moderately powerful cleric would be able to ruin the day for a bunch of undead guys.

For an undead party, I agree it would quite the challenge in the Realms. Very few places would tolerate them, and most (druids, elves, good-aligned churches) would attack on sight regardless of alignment or conduct.

I could, however, see the churches of Velsharoon and/or Jergal providing, at the least, covert aid. Some thieves guilds (Night Masks, Shadow Thieves) or the Twisted Rune might help for the right price. Setting up contacts with powerful undead and undead organizations would be key. A city of the undead was presented in Libris Mortis, and could be a safe starting point until the party matures.

Clerics of all stripes would indeed be the party's bane. Good clerics would want to destroy them, and evil ones would seek to control them. Stealth, a PC cleric to bolster and possibly a good Illusionist to disguise them would be helpful to avoid TPK.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  00:49:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say go with C. There is so much great information from all the different editions on dwarves that hardly ever gets used. Look around and I'm sure you'd find some great ideas (FR, DL, Mystara, and Dragon Mag would be where I start).
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  12:41:12  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Option B and waking up dead is a bit like our campaign. We woke in a tunnel full of corpses on their way to be cremated on the plane of fire.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  14:41:32  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Corporeal undead can survive in pretty extreme environments, so you can take players across very cool scenes rarely seen by regular low level adventurers.

An undead can walk beneath the waves of a (shallow) sea, brave extreme colds, suffer the most disease ridden or poisonous marches, climb the highest air deprived altitudes, and so on with considerably less concerns than a breathing, eating and sleeping human could.

Undead also can span time rather easily, just by standing still for a couple of eons in a preferred hiding place you can have players emerging from slumber/torpor only to experience a whole new era of the world.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  01:32:53  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, good points, all. Mayhap the party would not have to be undead all the adventure, just for a time, and then just to get through an environment the in which the living would never survive, as Bladewind said.

Shoulda done a poll, but I'm new to internet forums

@Markustay, I'll track down that source. My FLGS is having a trade-in day this weekend, and maybe I can score The Horde on the cheap. I do have AoDL, and will dive back in when I get home next week.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000