Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Larry Elmore Kickstarter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  05:54:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't recall anyone bringing this up before... And it's not exactly a D&D Core Product, but Larry Elmore's artwork has graced a lot of D&D products, and even some Realms material -- including the cover of The Crystal Shard.

He's got a Kickstarter project going on, to fund a new artbook. It's only got a few days left, unfortunately, but hey -- we all got Christmas money, right? I know I got some, and it funded me getting in on this.

The link is below. Note that he's added a whole lot of bonuses as stretch goals have been met. I'm hoping he makes the $200k mark so the book will have even more pages!

Larry Elmore: The Complete Elmore Artbook (Hardback)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  12:37:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I so wish that I hadn't already blown my monthly budget for this month... otherwise I'd definitely be backing this initiative.

The world needs more Elmore Art!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  13:56:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I so wish that I hadn't already blown my monthly budget for this month... otherwise I'd definitely be backing this initiative.

You have until December 31st... Blow next month's budget!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  14:28:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh Larry Elmore! I always loved his D&D art but never liked how he made Drizzt brown on the cover of The Crystal Shard.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  16:38:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whoa, thanks Wooly. Ever since I saw the Brom kickstarter, I was hoping Elmore might do some all big book of his body of work. I've got a few of his smaller sketchbooks, but they're mostly black and white. A more than 300 page copy of his work is MORE than of interest to me. I'm sending this to my friends as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  17:58:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, how did you find out about this kickstarter? Just wondering, because it seems to me that I keep randomly finding out about this stuff. Like, the Brom one I only found out about because I just happened to check who the people doing the reaper mini's kickstarter had backed. I only happened to find out about the reaper one because the pathfinder company sent out a big email.... and I only found out about the pathfinder online game one (now two) because that same pathfinder company mentioned in another email that they were trying to make a MMORPG.

BTW, that 2nd pathfinder online kickstarter is still running... if you think you'll buy the game itself, its worth putting $35 towards their kickstarter because you get the game plus 3 months of game time... if you put $100, you can be in the game before public release and your character WON'T get wiped at time of public release.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  22:47:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

BTW, how did you find out about this kickstarter? Just wondering, because it seems to me that I keep randomly finding out about this stuff. Like, the Brom one I only found out about because I just happened to check who the people doing the reaper mini's kickstarter had backed. I only happened to find out about the reaper one because the pathfinder company sent out a big email.... and I only found out about the pathfinder online game one (now two) because that same pathfinder company mentioned in another email that they were trying to make a MMORPG.

I follow Larry Elmore on Facebook. I've known about this one since it was posted last month, but since I was iffy on being able to get aboard, I didn't think about sharing it. Once I was able to get aboard, and saw how close it was to another stretch goal, I decided to spread the word.

On a related note, Elmore just promised to include an additional add-on, for all levels, if this hits $200k.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  01:23:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You have until December 31st... Blow next month's budget!

I can't, unfortunately. I've already got that targeted on something *else*...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  03:46:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
200k met and passed...with days to go yet.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  06:28:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

200k met and passed...with days to go yet.

Indeed. Hell of a note, considering he was shooting for $17,500, to start with.

I'm disappointed with the new add-ons, though. Previous add-ons had included sets of prints, without paying extra. The $200k add-ons he just tossed out there are for additional funds. Doesn't seem to really be an add-on, to me.

I'm happy to know we're getting a lot more pages than originally planned, but my funding is too limited to go for the for-pay add-ons.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  06:19:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About a day and a half left...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  05:05:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy mother of Lurue! 10 hours left, and it's at $276k!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  13:36:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing huh!? I'm really excited about the book.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  16:22:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Kickstarter is over, with a total of $299,914. I was watching it go down, and it got like $5k in just the last hour!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  23:27:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply amazing considering the amount he was going for!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  01:33:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is incredible! It ably demonstrates just how much love we all have for Elmore's fine contribution to the industry.

I really hope [and wish] that some of my other favourite artists, like Easley and Caldwell, can attempt something like this in the future as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Jan 2013 01:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  05:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Simply amazing considering the amount he was going for!

Indeed! He got the original target amount, and more, in the last 10 hours!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  05:12:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is incredible! It ably demonstrates just how much love we all have for Elmore's fine contribution to the industry.

I really hope [and wish] that some of my other favourite artists, like Easley and Caldwell, can attempt something like this in the future as well.

I'd support a Caldwell or Easley Kickstarter, but not for the same amount I threw towards this one! I've always favored Elmore far more than the other two, though they do outrank anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  05:41:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snarf Quest amused me greatly in the days of my shady youth. Worth a few bucks, for sure.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  06:06:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd support a Caldwell or Easley Kickstarter, but not for the same amount I threw towards this one! I've always favored Elmore far more than the other two, though they do outrank anyone else.

I'd be inclined to support either Easley or Elmore with the same amount... provided I had the gold pieces to spare. I fell in love with Easley's DRAGONLANCE art, so it holds a special place in my heart for that reason.

Support for Caldwell would come a close second.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  21:12:28  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was in for this.

And I caught the Brom one a little earlier.

Funds willing, I would back one of these from any of the many talented artists involved in fantasy or gaming. Part of it is nostalgia, but most of it is because these books are just gorgeous to behold.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  22:53:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

I was in for this.

Funds willing, I would back one of these from any of the many talented artists involved in fantasy or gaming. Part of it is nostalgia, but most of it is because these books are just gorgeous to behold.

I've actually got several other bits of Elmore art, myself... A large print, several of the smaller, 11x14 prints that were sold many years back, the Larry Elmore trading cards, the Back to the Drawing Board books, the Women of the Woods book... I think there's another one, in there. I just really, really like his stuff!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:13:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was in for this.

Too bad I missed that one. I find that Brom's art, like that of Tony DiTerlizzi, really helped to define my view of the worlds they were largely responsible for providing illustrations for -- in this case, DARK SUN and PLANESCAPE.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  03:38:32  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Wooly, by the looks of the final book (hefty page count and extras) it will be a visual treat. If you like Elmore, this was THE one to back if nothing else. I'm glad to hear you're a participant in this one.

@ Sage, no worries about missed Kickstarters, the purpose of most of them are to gather enough funds to increase the publishing run on their product. I'm sure you can pick up the Brom book (or the Elmore book for that matter) in stores when it enters distribution. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled on his site or perhaps an online book store.

I completely agree on the distinctive style of a single artist defining a particular setting's look.

Sometimes I felt the art for FR varied too greatly to present a good sense of the setting from the visuals offered. Certainly a setting's art can, should, and must depart from the style of one artist eventually, but a good initial impression by a talented visionary really helps establish an atmosphere. Much the same way Wayne Reynolds help set up Eberron and later (and perhaps even more so) Pathfinder/Golarion. There was an attempt by WotC to do so for FR early on in 3e with Todd Lockwood, but towards the later part of that era they seemed to reserve Lockwood for novel covers and not so much game books.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a big Lockwood art book.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  08:06:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@ Sage, no worries about missed Kickstarters, the purpose of most of them are to gather enough funds to increase the publishing run on their product. I'm sure you can pick up the Brom book (or the Elmore book for that matter) in stores when it enters distribution. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled on his site or perhaps an online book store.
I just hope they're released here in Australia. I don't relish the idea of paying international coin for these hefty art tomes overseas.
quote:
Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a big Lockwood art book.

And Wayne Reynolds too. I love his RPG art.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  21:42:08  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just hope they're released here in Australia. I don't relish the idea of paying international coin for these hefty art tomes overseas.

International shipping can be troublesome, as I hear from non-USA or non-Canada gamers. Hopefully the Kickstarters gives the artists enough of a print run and distribution leverage to send these books far and wide.

quote:

Oh, I think that can be arranged:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qac/discuss?Visions-of-WAR-The-Art-of-Wayne-Reynolds-Hardcover#tabs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:20:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

International shipping can be troublesome, as I hear from non-USA or non-Canada gamers. Hopefully the Kickstarters gives the artists enough of a print run and distribution leverage to send these books far and wide.
I hope that's the case, because I'd really dislike missing out on this.
quote:
quote:

Oh, I think that can be arranged:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qac/discuss?Visions-of-WAR-The-Art-of-Wayne-Reynolds-Hardcover#tabs

Awesome! I regularly use Reynolds art as visual aids in many of my campaigns, so this tome will definitely be very useful.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  06:41:28  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who missed the Kickstarter, Larry Elmore is taking pre-orders on his site until the end of the month (January). You can order the book or a print of the cover.

Details here:
http://larryelmore.com/the-complete-elmore/art

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 03 Jan 2013 06:42:16
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  08:03:17  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brom's book, I'd buy it ten times. Elmore, I like only a few pictures out of hundreds, the Savage Frontier cover, Dragon Scout, and that sci-fi knight.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  13:42:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, every time I read the title of this thread, a picture pops into my head of someone going over to Larry Elmore and kicking him, and saying, "get up and paint more pictures ya' lazy bum!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:40:14  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, every time I read the title of this thread, a picture pops into my head of someone going over to Larry Elmore and kicking him, and saying, "get up and paint more pictures ya' lazy bum!"

From the interviews I've seen of him, something tells me he would probably enjoy that and he'd have a good laugh about it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000