Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Larry Elmore Kickstarter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2012 : 05:54:07
I don't recall anyone bringing this up before... And it's not exactly a D&D Core Product, but Larry Elmore's artwork has graced a lot of D&D products, and even some Realms material -- including the cover of The Crystal Shard.

He's got a Kickstarter project going on, to fund a new artbook. It's only got a few days left, unfortunately, but hey -- we all got Christmas money, right? I know I got some, and it funded me getting in on this.

The link is below. Note that he's added a whole lot of bonuses as stretch goals have been met. I'm hoping he makes the $200k mark so the book will have even more pages!

Larry Elmore: The Complete Elmore Artbook (Hardback)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Aug 2023 : 01:03:16
There's going to be a third Kickstarter for a Larry Elmore artbook...

"It has been over 10 years since my very successful 2012 Kickstarter campaign for The Complete Elmore, a hardback collection of many of the highlights of my long career as a fantasy artist. But I didn't stop working in 2012, and the past decade has been very fruitful. I think it's time for an update.

It is therefore my pleasure to announce the third and final volume of my career retrospectives: The Complete Elmore III: Highlights of a Path Well Traveled.

You can be notified on the launch by visiting this link."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larryelmore/larry-elmore-the-complete-elmore-volume-iii-hardcover-book

Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 May 2015 : 22:35:41
Hey, look! Another Kickstarter for Larry Elmore artwork! The Complete Elmore Volume II: Black & White

quote:
The Long-Awaited Sister Book is Here!

My first Kickstarter, the Complete Elmore full-color art book, was a huge success! I am very happy with how that book turned out, and have heard from many very happy backers about its quality. Now, I want to make available, through this project, the sister book to that one.

I have found more than 600 drawings I’d like to include in this book, from rough sketches to finished drawings. Some are pencil, some are ink, and some are a combination. These span my full 40 year career, from my TSR days through last week! Some are sketches and drawings used as the basis for some of my more famous paintings, but many you've probably never seen before.

This book, being the sister book to that first one, will be the same 9" x 12" size and encompass 256 pages. Depending on your pledge amount, you can own this book as a standard coffee-table hardback edition, or a deluxe leather-bound limited edition; as well as other bonuses, such as special prints, a Complete Elmore slipcase for both books, or even the original drawing used for the cover itself.

The Kickstarter has more than a month to go... But it's already funded.

I'd love to get the hardback and the slipcase for both books... But damn, I can't justify spending $50 on a fancy box.
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2013 : 02:24:44
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I (finally! ) got my Kickstarter package yesterday... I've barely had time to go thru the book, but I have started perusing it. I've already read something quite interesting about Raistlin Majere...

When Weis and Hickman started the project for the Dragonlance Chronicles novels, the characters did not have backstories -- just stats and the artists' paintings. So Margaret Weis asked Larry why Raistlin had gold skin and hourglass eyes. The answer was because it looked cool.

So Margaret had to figure out why Raistlin looked so different from his brother. She decided it must have something to do with his magic, and then thought about him having to take a test to be able use his magic... And suddenly she had his story, his character, and his rather complicated relationship with Caramon.

And for the original cover for Dragons of Spring Dawning, Margaret asked Larry to have a shadow over Raistlin's lower half, as a hint of what was coming.

As someone who loves a good backstory far better than stats or lists of magical doodads, I found that an interesting look into how one of D&D's most iconic characters came about.

That kind of matches what Weis shared about Raistlin's creation in the Annotated Chronicles. I didn't know about that shadow-bit, though. That's cool!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2013 : 20:15:11
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Snarf Quest amused me greatly in the days of my shady youth. Worth a few bucks, for sure.

He's doing a SnarfQuest Kickstarter right now, I believe.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2013 : 20:13:22
I (finally! ) got my Kickstarter package yesterday... I've barely had time to go thru the book, but I have started perusing it. I've already read something quite interesting about Raistlin Majere...

When Weis and Hickman started the project for the Dragonlance Chronicles novels, the characters did not have backstories -- just stats and the artists' paintings. So Margaret Weis asked Larry why Raistlin had gold skin and hourglass eyes. The answer was because it looked cool.

So Margaret had to figure out why Raistlin looked so different from his brother. She decided it must have something to do with his magic, and then thought about him having to take a test to be able use his magic... And suddenly she had his story, his character, and his rather complicated relationship with Caramon.

And for the original cover for Dragons of Spring Dawning, Margaret asked Larry to have a shadow over Raistlin's lower half, as a hint of what was coming.

As someone who loves a good backstory far better than stats or lists of magical doodads, I found that an interesting look into how one of D&D's most iconic characters came about.
Dark Wizard Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 19:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, every time I read the title of this thread, a picture pops into my head of someone going over to Larry Elmore and kicking him, and saying, "get up and paint more pictures ya' lazy bum!"

From the interviews I've seen of him, something tells me he would probably enjoy that and he'd have a good laugh about it.
Markustay Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 13:42:02
Okay, every time I read the title of this thread, a picture pops into my head of someone going over to Larry Elmore and kicking him, and saying, "get up and paint more pictures ya' lazy bum!"
Quale Posted - 04 Jan 2013 : 08:03:17
Brom's book, I'd buy it ten times. Elmore, I like only a few pictures out of hundreds, the Savage Frontier cover, Dragon Scout, and that sci-fi knight.
Dark Wizard Posted - 03 Jan 2013 : 06:41:28
For those who missed the Kickstarter, Larry Elmore is taking pre-orders on his site until the end of the month (January). You can order the book or a print of the cover.

Details here:
http://larryelmore.com/the-complete-elmore/art
The Sage Posted - 03 Jan 2013 : 02:20:05
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I just hope they're released here in Australia. I don't relish the idea of paying international coin for these hefty art tomes overseas.

International shipping can be troublesome, as I hear from non-USA or non-Canada gamers. Hopefully the Kickstarters gives the artists enough of a print run and distribution leverage to send these books far and wide.
I hope that's the case, because I'd really dislike missing out on this.
quote:
quote:
And Wayne Reynolds too. I love his RPG art.

Oh, I think that can be arranged:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qac/discuss?Visions-of-WAR-The-Art-of-Wayne-Reynolds-Hardcover#tabs

Awesome! I regularly use Reynolds art as visual aids in many of my campaigns, so this tome will definitely be very useful.
Dark Wizard Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 21:42:08
quote:

I just hope they're released here in Australia. I don't relish the idea of paying international coin for these hefty art tomes overseas.

International shipping can be troublesome, as I hear from non-USA or non-Canada gamers. Hopefully the Kickstarters gives the artists enough of a print run and distribution leverage to send these books far and wide.

quote:

Oh, I think that can be arranged:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qac/discuss?Visions-of-WAR-The-Art-of-Wayne-Reynolds-Hardcover#tabs
The Sage Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 08:06:56
quote:

@ Sage, no worries about missed Kickstarters, the purpose of most of them are to gather enough funds to increase the publishing run on their product. I'm sure you can pick up the Brom book (or the Elmore book for that matter) in stores when it enters distribution. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled on his site or perhaps an online book store.
quote:
Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a big Lockwood art book.

Dark Wizard Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 03:38:32
@ Wooly, by the looks of the final book (hefty page count and extras) it will be a visual treat. If you like Elmore, this was THE one to back if nothing else. I'm glad to hear you're a participant in this one.

@ Sage, no worries about missed Kickstarters, the purpose of most of them are to gather enough funds to increase the publishing run on their product. I'm sure you can pick up the Brom book (or the Elmore book for that matter) in stores when it enters distribution. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled on his site or perhaps an online book store.

I completely agree on the distinctive style of a single artist defining a particular setting's look.

Sometimes I felt the art for FR varied too greatly to present a good sense of the setting from the visuals offered. Certainly a setting's art can, should, and must depart from the style of one artist eventually, but a good initial impression by a talented visionary really helps establish an atmosphere. Much the same way Wayne Reynolds help set up Eberron and later (and perhaps even more so) Pathfinder/Golarion. There was an attempt by WotC to do so for FR early on in 3e with Todd Lockwood, but towards the later part of that era they seemed to reserve Lockwood for novel covers and not so much game books.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a big Lockwood art book.
The Sage Posted - 02 Jan 2013 : 02:13:04
quote:

I was in for this.

And I caught the Brom one a little earlier.
Too bad I missed that one. I find that Brom's art, like that of Tony DiTerlizzi, really helped to define my view of the worlds they were largely responsible for providing illustrations for -- in this case, DARK SUN and PLANESCAPE.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 22:53:06
quote:

I was in for this.

Funds willing, I would back one of these from any of the many talented artists involved in fantasy or gaming. Part of it is nostalgia, but most of it is because these books are just gorgeous to behold.

I've actually got several other bits of Elmore art, myself... A large print, several of the smaller, 11x14 prints that were sold many years back, the Larry Elmore trading cards, the Back to the Drawing Board books, the Women of the Woods book... I think there's another one, in there. I just really, really like his stuff!
Dark Wizard Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 21:12:28
I was in for this.

Funds willing, I would back one of these from any of the many talented artists involved in fantasy or gaming. Part of it is nostalgia, but most of it is because these books are just gorgeous to behold.
The Sage Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 06:06:11
quote:

quote:

This is incredible! It ably demonstrates just how much love we all have for Elmore's fine contribution to the industry.

I really hope [and wish] that some of my other favourite artists, like Easley and Caldwell, can attempt something like this in the future as well.

I'd support a Caldwell or Easley Kickstarter, but not for the same amount I threw towards this one! I've always favored Elmore far more than the other two, though they do outrank anyone else.

I'd be inclined to support either Easley or Elmore with the same amount... provided I had the gold pieces to spare. I fell in love with Easley's DRAGONLANCE art, so it holds a special place in my heart for that reason.

Support for Caldwell would come a close second.
Ayrik Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 05:41:21
Snarf Quest amused me greatly in the days of my shady youth. Worth a few bucks, for sure.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 05:12:10
quote:

This is incredible! It ably demonstrates just how much love we all have for Elmore's fine contribution to the industry.

I really hope [and wish] that some of my other favourite artists, like Easley and Caldwell, can attempt something like this in the future as well.

I'd support a Caldwell or Easley Kickstarter, but not for the same amount I threw towards this one! I've always favored Elmore far more than the other two, though they do outrank anyone else.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 05:10:56
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Simply amazing considering the amount he was going for!

Indeed! He got the original target amount, and more, in the last 10 hours!
The Sage Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 01:33:11

Dalor Darden Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 23:27:50
Simply amazing considering the amount he was going for!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 16:22:25
And the Kickstarter is over, with a total of $299,914. I was watching it go down, and it got like $5k in just the last hour!
Dalor Darden Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 13:36:17
Amazing huh!? I'm really excited about the book.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2012 : 05:05:50
Holy mother of Lurue! 10 hours left, and it's at $276k!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Dec 2012 : 06:19:47
About a day and a half left...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Dec 2012 : 06:28:59
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

200k met and passed...with days to go yet.

Indeed. Hell of a note, considering he was shooting for $17,500, to start with.

I'm disappointed with the new add-ons, though. Previous add-ons had included sets of prints, without paying extra. The $200k add-ons he just tossed out there are for additional funds. Doesn't seem to really be an add-on, to me.

I'm happy to know we're getting a lot more pages than originally planned, but my funding is too limited to go for the for-pay add-ons.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Dec 2012 : 03:46:35
200k met and passed...with days to go yet.
The Sage Posted - 27 Dec 2012 : 01:23:06
quote:

quote:

I so wish that I hadn't already blown my monthly budget for this month... otherwise I'd definitely be backing this initiative.

The world needs more Elmore Art!

You have until December 31st... Blow next month's budget!

I can't, unfortunately. I've already got that targeted on something *else*...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2012 : 22:47:16
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

BTW, how did you find out about this kickstarter? Just wondering, because it seems to me that I keep randomly finding out about this stuff. Like, the Brom one I only found out about because I just happened to check who the people doing the reaper mini's kickstarter had backed. I only happened to find out about the reaper one because the pathfinder company sent out a big email.... and I only found out about the pathfinder online game one (now two) because that same pathfinder company mentioned in another email that they were trying to make a MMORPG.

I follow Larry Elmore on Facebook. I've known about this one since it was posted last month, but since I was iffy on being able to get aboard, I didn't think about sharing it. Once I was able to get aboard, and saw how close it was to another stretch goal, I decided to spread the word.

On a related note, Elmore just promised to include an additional add-on, for all levels, if this hits $200k.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000