Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you could write an FR novel...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  10:25:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am greatly interested in establishing a psionic realm, something that will challenge Xxiphu, and become a serious threat to Toril. Or maybe I'll just resurrect Jhamdath and Auppenser.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  11:27:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I have an idea for a Psionic human character.

As a background, his parents were adventurers before and during the Time of Troubles. As the gods came to Faerun, a teleport spell cast by his mage mother went awry because of the weave issues; so the parent's party ended up in the Underdark instead of their intended location.
In the Underdark, their party was taken prisoner by Mind Flayers...they decided to alter/experiment on the pregnant mage mother to make her unborn child psionic, but the parents escaped and retired from adventuring and became merchants in Sembia after their ordeal.

20 years later their now grown son's latent psionic powers start to emerge and he learns to use the powers/hide them from authority/people who would try to use him....but the big bads would be the mind flayers or drow allies who come back to reclaim their "experiment" now that he is of age. I'd have it set in the Dragonreach/Dales/Sembia...and our protagonist would have a gang of friends from various races and classes who are from his teenage "gang" (akin to how the Knights started in Espar).

I just feel Psions are not well represented in Realms novels!

After watching more and more trailers for BG3 video game; I'm starting to feel like I deserve a royalty check.

Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  15:46:11  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something involving Nimbral. Greenwood fleshed it out pretty well in his Realmslore articles, so an accomplished author should be able to throw things together. It's mentioned that the Halruuans, when they discovered Nimbral in their skyships, settled and intermarried with the native elf population. I'm willing to bet it was not QUITE as easy as that... so that might be a plot starter.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  17:03:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something that hasn't been done before. Since I am most familiar with the 2e timeframe, it would be in there and it would be about a gnome ill/thief. Or, perhaps, about the half-ogre magi character in my campaign. If historical, perhaps the giants living in Fjelltobyrdfestingheim (The Darkhold) when the halflings come to the area.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  17:52:58  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want all of you to get on and write these novels. Then send them to me. I am so desperate for good Realms novels. Back to re-reading my faves over and over.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  18:26:10  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want all of you to get on and write these novels. Then send them to me. I am so desperate for good Realms novels. Back to re-reading my faves over and over.

Keep the faith. Variety just reported that a guy that used to be an executive with Marvel Studios is going to be the producer for the D&D movie. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that it will be in the FR. It could be Eberron since that can be sold as a Westworld meets Lord of the Rings movie. A couple of the writers from Spider-man Homecoming are writing and directing it.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  19:20:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Something involving Nimbral. Greenwood fleshed it out pretty well in his Realmslore articles, so an accomplished author should be able to throw things together. It's mentioned that the Halruuans, when they discovered Nimbral in their skyships, settled and intermarried with the native elf population. I'm willing to bet it was not QUITE as easy as that... so that might be a plot starter.

Yeah, I'd love to see more exploration into this venue besides some of the theories that I've thrown about.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  21:47:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

Keep the faith. Variety just reported that a guy that used to be an executive with Marvel Studios is going to be the producer for the D&D movie. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that it will be in the FR. It could be Eberron since that can be sold as a Westworld meets Lord of the Rings movie. A couple of the writers from Spider-man Homecoming are writing and directing it.

If they do set it in the Realms, I just hope they do the setting justice, and really show use the world (I also hope it's an original cast of characters).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  01:37:32  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

What would it be about? If could pick any setting, race, event (whether or not it actually happened, or if it's something you'd like to see happen, even if it doesn't sound like WotC is going to do it), what would it be? You can be general or go into specifics.

Here are some of mine:

A story set in post-Spellplague Myth Drannor--at least as a starting point for the characters, like Richard Baker did for Blades of the Moonsea
Upon the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, what their followers do and how they "get things up and running again".
A story about an assimar--I like tieflings, but I'd like to see their "opposite'.
Shevarash's mortal years and his apotheosis, or about his followers in the post-Spellplague era. They fascinate me.
Something with Evermeet--now that it has retreated again, what are its people up to? I think it'd be interesting to explore how, after some exposure to other cultures, how they fare in their isolation.
The inner workings of Bregon D'earthe.

OMG, OMG... been working on this for 2 years. I've been writing about my main Character I've been playing since 2ED. for so long it seems.

I have an open thread on these forums with my entire read for free. I'll post a link. feel free to comment about anything you'd like.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21692

You can find the story there.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  01:50:07  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

What would it be about? If could pick any setting, race, event (whether or not it actually happened, or if it's something you'd like to see happen, even if it doesn't sound like WotC is going to do it), what would it be? You can be general or go into specifics.

Here are some of mine:

A story set in post-Spellplague Myth Drannor--at least as a starting point for the characters, like Richard Baker did for Blades of the Moonsea
Upon the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, what their followers do and how they "get things up and running again".
A story about an assimar--I like tieflings, but I'd like to see their "opposite'.
Shevarash's mortal years and his apotheosis, or about his followers in the post-Spellplague era. They fascinate me.
Something with Evermeet--now that it has retreated again, what are its people up to? I think it'd be interesting to explore how, after some exposure to other cultures, how they fare in their isolation.

OMG, OMG... been working on this for 2 years. I've been writing about my main Character I've been playing since 2ED. for so long it seems.

I have an open thread on these forums with my entire read for free. I'll post a link. feel free to comment about anything you'd like.

Lol I originally posted this thread back in 2012, so it's old. It just recently got rezzed. But I will take a look

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 09 May 2020 01:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  02:01:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

Here are some of mine:

Lol I originally posted this thread back in 2012, so it's old. It just recently got rezzed. But I will take a look

Please do. And fell free to comment. My wife and children have told me it's good. But I'm sure they're biased. lol. I want a strangers opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2020 :  22:36:41  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The (mis)adventures of an otherwise normal human who discovers that he in fact has a significant amount of divine heritage. His mother? Sharess.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  00:13:09  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...

I'd like to see a novel set within Rashemen. A young man and young woman, childhood friends who could grow into lovers, but become seperated by the needs of their people. As they grow, we would be able to see the family and close knit side of all the Rashemi, instead of only what is known or seen by outsiders. When it seems they could become close, she is chosen to be a witch. He could stand to be a part of the tribe and be near here, but this sensitive soul finds the beserker rage when his childhood love is threatened. Another string to pull them apart. Duty and need continue to block desire and want, and through them we can explore this land of spirits and 'wild people.'

I'd like to see a young mage come to power and become a powerful new figure, simply for 'new blood' of a strong caster in the Realm. Again, put him/her in a new region, to keep them from getting insulted by the Chosens of the northern regions. Put them in Calimshan, or Chondath (and work to keep magic secret from a society that has a bad history with magic gone wrong). Make them a gnome or halfling, and really incorporate that into the character so we can see both culture and ancestry from something new we haven't read about.

After reading up on Dambrath because of one of my player's background, I'd like a novel about anything in that region. Just to see the culture and people explored in the region.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  10:34:37  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, that was me. I rezzed it because after watching trailer after trailer for the new BG3 game I realised the plot outline of my novel posted here in 2012 was eerily similar to the plot of the game!
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  14:48:33  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could write a FR novel...

...I would write about how the drow of T'lindhet finally made their way to the surface after over a century sealed away in the Underdark, and set about restoring the way it used to be. I know it would involve a lengthy prologue explaining why this is all coming about the way it is, but I think it would be worth the effort.

I am not the world's biggest drow fan (the drowpocalypse left a bad taste in my mouth, even if WotC did reverse some of the worst of the damage), but I always thought Dambrath was one of the most interesting and unique features of the Realms, with its halfblood rulers and never-before-seen narrative. No other game world, to my knowledge, offered something like that.

Now, Dambrath is far less interesting and unique, and I would certainly be keen on bringing it back to the interesting place that it once was.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 17 May 2020 14:52:01
Go to Top of Page

The Cavalier
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  19:57:49  Show Profile Send The Cavalier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've BEEN writing a FR novel. Like, right now. Although I'd phrase it more as fanfiction if anything lol.
Without going into too much detail, I'm focusing on Cyric attempting to retake the domain of murder from Bhaal 7 years after his resurrection. The emphasis isn't so much on the conflict between the two gods as much as it is a group of individuals trying to stop a catastrophe that would serve as the opening salvo in the conflict. I'm really excited about the idea because I feel that there's a distinct lack of novels, especially in the 90's era, that REALLY focus on the gods using pawns to further their goals. Not to mention that one of the protagonists is a character I've been working on for a long time who finally gets to make a debut.
Hell, if anyone wants to look at what I've got so far shoot me a private message, I'm more than willing to take some feedback from people as I work on it.

If there's anything I've learned as a DM, it's never give the players access to a Wish spell in the first session.

Edited by - The Cavalier on 19 May 2020 01:51:43
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  21:27:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Cavalier

I've BEEN writing a FR novel. Like, right now. Although I'd phrase it more as fanfiction if anything lol.
Without going into too much detail, I'm focusing on Cyric attempting to retake the domain of murder from Bhaal 7 years after his resurrection. The emphasis isn't so much on the conflict between the two gods as much as it is a group of individuals trying to stop a catastrophe that would serve as the opening salvo in the conflict. I'm really excited about the idea because I feel that there's a distinct lack of novels, especially in the 90's era, that REALLY focus on the gods using pawns to further their goals. Not to mention that one of the protagonists is a character I've been working on for a long time who finally gets to make a debut.

I think it's cool to have gods as characters (like in the Avatar books and beginning of Evermeet) along with showing it via "mortal" means. The Sundering novels showcased it through the followers, but those are later novels. "Pawns" is also going to depend on the deity, I think. Someone like Cyric and Bhaal would probably have pawns lol XD

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2020 :  21:51:05  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a FR novel, and posted what I have here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23521

I'm interested in your thoughts!

Thanks!

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2020 :  20:56:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a cloak-and-dagger salad, with Cult of the Dragon, Harpers, Eldreth Veluuthra, "peaceful" drow merchants and who-knows-what running into each other.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Manshoon Wars.

It would be cool to read, but a great enough mess that it requires Ed (without derpy editors, at that), IMHO.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 13 Jun 2020 22:28:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page