Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fellow feeling: Clerics of R. Knight and Valkur?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  03:21:41  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I was in playing an AL mod with my Tempest Cleric of Valkur yesterday (stereotypical Long John Silvers pirate, "Arr Matey" and "I'll still be a Cormyte Brave, Squire!" and all that), and as it so happened, we were supposed to rescue a Chosen of Red Knight.

Now, with my rudimentary knowledge of the Realms, I kinda figured Red Knight and Valkur were allied in the mini-pantheon family of battle gods, and P&P 2e does list Valkur as an ally of Red Knight and vice-versa.

Would their clerics be chummy, I wonder, on first impressions? I mean, I hammed it up (you make your own RP in AL) of course, playing the role of the jolly sea captain meeting an honored fellow salty sea dog (it was a lady, so I figured the proper term of respect would be "Battle-Sister"), but how do you think their clergy interact (they certainly are not... aligned... alignment wise, Valkur CG, Red Knight LN, lol)

Edited by - prototype00 on 07 Jun 2020 04:09:33

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  20:58:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prototype00

So, I was in playing an AL mod with my Tempest Cleric of Valkur yesterday (stereotypical Long John Silvers pirate, "Arr Matey" and "I'll still be a Cormyte Brave, Squire!" and all that), and as it so happened, we were supposed to rescue a Chosen of Red Knight.

Now, with my rudimentary knowledge of the Realms, I kinda figured Red Knight and Valkur were allied in the mini-pantheon family of battle gods, and P&P 2e does list Valkur as an ally of Red Knight and vice-versa.

Would their clerics be chummy, I wonder, on first impressions? I mean, I hammed it up (you make your own RP in AL) of course, playing the role of the jolly sea captain meeting an honored fellow salty sea dog (it was a lady, so I figured the proper term of respect would be "Battle-Sister"), but how do you think their clergy interact (they certainly are not... aligned... alignment wise, Valkur CG, Red Knight LN, lol)

So Valkur is often portrayed as a warrior god of storms on the sea to the northmen. The "red knight" is portrayed as a goddess of excellence and skill in battle.

In some ways, you could see both of these gods being represented by Sif (whose main color representation was red as in rowan) and Thor.... so I could see their clergy being very chummy. I'm not saying they ARE those individuals (though in truth, I wonder about the red knight), but their roles are very similar.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  22:40:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Individual-ness aside, the deities likely see some semblance of comradery as both are geared towards warriors and fighters. Worshipers of the Red Knight might find the cavalier attitude of a Valkur worshiper a bit much, considering such actions and eagerness go against strategy, planning, and patience (things Red Knight warriors kind of prize). Excellence in battle, using your noggin to win decisively (even with bravado), would certainly win lots of "points" in the eyes of Chosen of the Red Knight.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  23:05:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Friendliness would probably depend on the personalities of the individuals involved, but they definitely wouldn't outright hate each other or anything based on their respective deities.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2020 :  03:23:02  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"The Sea is deep, and full of terrors"

I could easily see a symbiotic relationship of Valkur and Red Knight (specifically that Fellowship sect that devotes themselves to maritime matters) where the Valkurites go forth and find through "exploration" (trial and error) which sea lanes are safe and which are dangerous, and combat hostile marine life and gain battle knowledge doing so, and then confer with the clergy of the Knight, who process all that information into tactical terms and plan out practical sailing plans which make it safer for ensuing maritime ventures.

On the matter of first impressions, I admit I would ham it up as well, with a Very British admiralty Strategist spluttering about proper rules and regulations to a Penzance-ian Waverider who just wants to grab a boarding hook and get on to grand adventure (call it "Oscar Madison and Felix Ungar go to sea")

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2020 :  16:44:39  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC the Red Knight was the main driving force in recruiting Valkur to join Tempus' mini pantheon of war deities. Initially Valkur wasn't that interested in naval warfare and the Red Knight was trying to encourage him to extend his portfolio to include that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000