Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mr. Greenwood's Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  15:17:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm re-reading Elminster in Myth Drannor and, as usual, I'm stunned by the sheer creativity of Ed's magic. My question is, have any of his novel spells been codified outside of officially released Realms material (such as here at Candlekeep) or has anyone ever attempted to build their own versions of the magic found in his novels?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  15:27:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me give a couple of examples from EiMD (hardback). The Overmantle of Halgondas (p.164) and Mruster's Twist (p.169) or any number of spells described (but not named) such as the 'bone call' spell (p.172) or the 'swordpoint' spell (p.219). I think the combined list from his various novels would easily reach over 100 'new' spells. One such spell was called 'soulcage' from one of the shadow novels. I no longer have the series so can't recall the exact name. It was cast by the Simbul.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  15:34:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the spells noted in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" were detailed in Ed's "Magic of Myth Drannor" article in Dragon Annual #2.

Soulcage has never been given game stats as far as I can recall.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  17:08:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His spells have been scattered thru a lot of Realms resources, such as articles in Dragon, Pages From The Mages, Forgotten Realms Adventures, and a lot of other sources -- mostly 1E and 2E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  18:42:30  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya I pretty much have every "official" source of his work. I'm referring to independent adaptations though.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  20:52:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

So I'm re-reading Elminster in Myth Drannor and, as usual, I'm stunned by the sheer creativity of Ed's magic. My question is, have any of his novel spells been codified outside of officially released Realms material (such as here at Candlekeep) or has anyone ever attempted to build their own versions of the magic found in his novels?

The one thing I always liked with his earlier works was when I saw them use a spell, I could find the reference work that they called upon. In later stories, I've found this to be less true (or it could be with later works, I was less aware of all the spells out there because I don't follow it all closely enough anymore). However, for the most part, MOST of what I've seen him write has been directly identifiable to specific spells. For a while, he was very much favoring the ones in the Seven Sisters sourcebook.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  01:03:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

His spells have been scattered thru a lot of Realms resources, such as articles in Dragon, Pages From The Mages, Forgotten Realms Adventures, and a lot of other sources -- mostly 1E and 2E.

And while no mechanics have been provided, Ed's also detailed some curious spell effects in his replies here at Candlekeep as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Nov 2012 02:36:25
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  01:03:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya it's true many of his spells have been published (and many can be found in the Seven Sisters accessory) but I think many of them haven't found their way into print yet. Im sure many of them are variants of printed spells though.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  03:33:06  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to know what the spell to create that billowing green cloud of fangs and claws is called...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  12:23:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jhalavan's Fond Return, spell shear. Also, fleshflame (TMoaM)...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  15:19:29  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I wish story/fluff would build a bridge to game mechanics. Everyone always, and strangely, forgets that it as much a game setting as it is a story setting. The novels should all add game stats at the end of all the novels. . That would be marketing perfection. But we all know TSR and WOTC record of good marketing.....
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  19:26:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and when someone turns it into Final Quest Of Nine Sparkling Catgirls, republish all the novels?
What bridge? If it can be coherently described, it can be put into a game mechanics model. Provided the latter is somewhat compatible (in the case of FR, mostly-Vancian magic) not only good for Diablo, of course.
That articles "heroes of X" in Dragon sucked as often as not, missed a lot (e.g.: Pharaun's spells) and mostly looked like they're made in haste as an afterthought and edited down to half size in even greater haste - well, that's how the company's priorities are... there didn't seem to be much of strategy beyond "print moar Drizzt!", ever.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 07 Dec 2012 11:14:31
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  05:45:28  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the years, Ed Greenwood has given the game details of lots of his novel spells. Look for any book with spells written by Ed. Plus Dragon, of course. Some of the spells you see used in a Ed novel are also spells from other sources. For example, several of the Circle of Eight spells are cast in the novel Realms. And a lot of spells are variations or tweaks of existing spells. The 'Hungry Worm' spell in EiMD looks to be just an improved, advanced spiritworm spell.

Also note that Ed often plays with words. So when someone casts the 'swordslaying spell' is just telekinesis.

There are also dozens of fan spell details. But no place that hosts them.
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  15:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Ya it's true many of his spells have been published (and many can be found in the Seven Sisters accessory) but I think many of them haven't found their way into print yet. Im sure many of them are variants of printed spells though.

Perhaps you could list the spells you are interested in (maybe with a brief description or its name) and we could either try and track down an official write-up with our combined scholarly might or have a crack at making a home-brew version for you if there is none?

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000