Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Returned Abeir, Tymanther, and 5e Dragonborn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  23:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been confirmed that Returned Abir and Tymanther are being removed from 5e realms, which I think is a terrible shame as they were among my favorite parts of 4e, and as I've said several times, I believe they offered a wealth of untapped potential.

However, my question is what will become of the dragonborn in 5e realms? Will they be shipped back to Abeir along with their homelands? Will those who are native-born to Toril(which I suspect would be the vast majority) remain? Will only those not on Abeirnian land when it's sent back remain on Toril?

What's the plan?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  00:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could always establish some portals between Faerun and returned returned Abir
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  00:23:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragonborn may be more interesting as a 'race without a country' moving forward. Some larger cities could even have 'Draco-ghettoes' for them (just as they have for other races, and even the Shou). Some could even settle in the lost Vale with the saurials, or have major enclaves in Murghom and further east.

I would rather see them combine the RA stuff with Maztica, rather then they get rid of it wholesale. There is so much potential to be had there - both settings can be so much more then the sum of their parts. It should be fairly easy to do - Maztica and Laerakond 'flicker' in-and-out of Toril for a time, and when things finally stabilize we get Maztica, but with parts of Returned Abeir superimposed on it. I'm actually thinking the region between Maztica and Anchorome should be hardest hit - it could be a 'return of the draconic powers' to FR (because the Maztican powers were prophesized to eventually return to 'The True World').

As for genasi - I like the idea of a Dgen empire in Calimshan. I liked old Calimshan, but unfortunately it became redundant with Zakhara. The Rise of the Elemental Imperium... i like the sound of that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2012 00:24:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  02:11:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gustaveren

you could always establish some portals between Faerun and returned returned Abir

Indeed. The Realms has long been known as the world with portals and gateways to lost and forgotten "worlds" elsewhere. It's built into the basic concept of the FORGOTTEN REALMS -- a setting that contains "forgotten" portals to Earth and the like.

There's no reason why the Realms still can't contain portals between the any region on Toril and Returned Abeir -- if and when the transposition of these locations occurs again.

Or, perhaps, instead run them like the coterminous and/or co-existent dynamics of the 3e planar framework -- where other planes would come to briefly connect with the Material Plane at specific points of planar instability.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Oct 2012 02:48:15
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  03:13:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaveren

Indeed. The Realms has long been known as the world with portals and gateways to lost and forgotten "worlds" elsewhere. It's built into the basic concept of the FORGOTTEN REALMS -- a setting that contains "forgotten" portals to Earth and the like.

There's no reason why the Realms still can't contain portals between the any region on Toril and Returned Abeir -- if and when the transposition of these locations occurs again.

Or, perhaps, instead run them like the coterminous and/or co-existent dynamics of the 3e planar framework -- where other planes would come to briefly connect with the Material Plane at specific points of planar instability.

I like that idea of the portals between Toril and Abeir being around but that they're "problematic". To my mind, if they were following an unusual "rhythm" for when they are or aren't working would be best, such that noone could count on "hey, in a month, we can raid across and then come back". Similarly, once they are open, not being sure how long they'd remain open... so you pass through, and maybe they're open behind you for 5 minutes..... or maybe a week... Also, maybe if their method of functioning changes from time to time (such that you see it open, can scan the portal to see what kind of key you need magically, then have to go get whatever it is and return before it closes).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  05:26:49  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be alright.

Personally I want to see the Dragon-kin (which weren't in 4e because of the similarity to 4e's dragonborn) make a return, possibly with the cult of the dragon (which received basically no coverage in 4e whatsoever).

I found it really obnoxious that Forgotten Realms had these really cool dragon people already, and when 4e came out they decided to just pretend they never existed because they were different than the dragonborn (being 12 feet tall, having wings, and not being mammals-but humanoid dragons).

I also miss the various half-dragons; and I really liked the Cult of the Dragon. Their noninclusion was one of the things I detested about 4e Forgotten Realms.

I never really cared for the dragonborn; mostly because I already thought the "dragon people" niche was well filled by the already existing dragon people; and that the dragonborn did a much less impressive job of it.

If they have both, instead of ditching what I liked in exchange for what's newer, I wouldn't object to the portals to returned abeir (which could become a demiplane or something, sortof like Ravenloft). I also wouldn't object to merging it into Maztica.

I just want to see dragon-kin, half dragons, aasimar, tieflings, the cult of the dragon, the zhentarim, the red wizards of thay, halruaa, waterdeep, pantheons, demons, devils, daemons, and eladrin return to the awesomeness they were before 4e. A return to either the 3e or 3e cosmology wouldn't hurt either.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Oct 2012 05:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  09:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

That would be alright.

Personally I want to see the Dragon-kin (which weren't in 4e because of the similarity to 4e's dragonborn) make a return, possibly with the cult of the dragon (which received basically no coverage in 4e whatsoever).

I found it really obnoxious that Forgotten Realms had these really cool dragon people already, and when 4e came out they decided to just pretend they never existed because they were different than the dragonborn (being 12 feet tall, having wings, and not being mammals-but humanoid dragons).

I also miss the various half-dragons; and I really liked the Cult of the Dragon. Their noninclusion was one of the things I detested about 4e Forgotten Realms.

I never really cared for the dragonborn; mostly because I already thought the "dragon people" niche was well filled by the already existing dragon people; and that the dragonborn did a much less impressive job of it.

If they have both, instead of ditching what I liked in exchange for what's newer, I wouldn't object to the portals to returned abeir (which could become a demiplane or something, sortof like Ravenloft). I also wouldn't object to merging it into Maztica.

I just want to see dragon-kin, half dragons, aasimar, tieflings, the cult of the dragon, the zhentarim, the red wizards of thay, halruaa, waterdeep, pantheons, demons, devils, daemons, and eladrin return to the awesomeness they were before 4e. A return to either the 3e or 3e cosmology wouldn't hurt either.

You and I disagree on a lot of matters, it seems.

I love the dragonborn. Would probably rank them...fourth on my list of favorite pc races, after half orcs, tieflings(4e style), and devas(again, 4e style), but before goliaths.

And I like them specifically because they aren't twelve feet tall, they don't have wings(normally, they can get them), they aren't immune to breath weapons. They're big, they're tough, but they aren't overpowered. I don't have to deal with players wanting their half dragon munchkin being the biggest badass on the block; I can say no, you want to be a dragon like character, here, play one of these guys.

I like their culture, the subtle arabic influences. I like the militaristic slant they have without it really defining them, I like that they aren't dumb muscle. I liked the realms-specific touch of them being former slaves who've risen up against their masters and how they hate dragons and don't necessarily believe in gods, those were nice touches, I thought.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  09:58:11  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, moving the dragonborn into the Lost Vale would get them butting heads with the Shades, they own that Vale now and bad boy for liking an elemental empire in Calimshan!

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  10:38:09  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I love the dragonborn. Would probably rank them...fourth on my list of favorite pc races, after half orcs, tieflings(4e style), and devas(again, 4e style), but before goliaths.

And I like them specifically because they aren't twelve feet tall, they don't have wings(normally, they can get them), they aren't immune to breath weapons. They're big, they're tough, but they aren't overpowered. I don't have to deal with players wanting their half dragon munchkin being the biggest badass on the block; I can say no, you want to be a dragon like character, here, play one of these guys.

I like their culture, the subtle arabic influences. I like the militaristic slant they have without it really defining them, I like that they aren't dumb muscle. I liked the realms-specific touch of them being former slaves who've risen up against their masters and how they hate dragons and don't necessarily believe in gods, those were nice touches, I thought.

Yeah. We definitely disagree. My favorite PC races include none of those. Most of those are pretty low on my list of preferences.

My favorite things I have seen characters of (varying power levels, in descending order, though many - but not all- *Could* be made balanced playable races easily enough.)
Githyanki, Drow, Kobolds, Tieflings (Pathfinder Style, with several sub-varieties based on lineage), Moon Elves, Wood Elves, Wild Elves, Sun Elves, Rock Gnomes, Fire Genasi 3e, Half-Dragons, Earth Genasi 3e, (All Dwarves), Water Genasi 3e, Air Genasi 3e, Orcs, Lizardfolk, Hobgoblins, Half-Elves, Humans, Satyrs, Dryads, Centaurs, Driders, Pseudodragons, Ibixians, Crinti, Awakened Animals...

For me Dragonborn are way at the bottom with Halflings and Eladrin 4e. (things I'm inclined to avoid playing, but that I could (other than Eladrin, unless I changed the name and backstory) *Maybe* find a use for as NPCs.)

Likewise, I like to use the 3e Eladrin (which were a category of celestials), which in Pathfinder got renamed to Agathions (Stupid rename, but they were trying to avoid conflict with 4e's "Almost an elf" race with the stolen name). I also found it rather contrived that all the various divided sub varieties of elf in faerun would stop thinking of themselves of the race they were for centuries and consider themselves Eladrin instead, in what is for them like 10 years to a human. Additionally if you liked the divide of Wild/Wood Elves (instead of using the term Green Elves to describe two vastly different wilderness based elves with some shared lineage), the 4e elves are what happens when you interbreed a wild elves (dont exist in 4e) with Eladrin - which makes no sense, unless you just ignore previous books. Additionally, if you only use "green elves" from 2e, they're mostly the feral variety - the ones that don't exist in 4e.

If they wanted to introduce teleporting fey that look like elves I could deal with that; but not at the expense of eladrin and elves, and with all sorts of irrational ramifications.

Same goes for Tieflings; which I found interesting and liked. It was the fact that their new thing (which I don't really find that interesting but could easily ignore) replaced the preexisting thing (which I liked a fair bit and no have no support for), and the weird retcon annoys me just by being an obnoxious retcon to boot.

As for the Dragonkin, I like them and the Cult of the Dragon as antagonists. Probably my third favorite set of antagonists, after devils, and the drow.

However, If they used racial levels like Monte Cooks d20 RPG or the Warcraft d20 RPG instead of level adjusts, Dragonkin and Minotaurs (another favorite that is a large creature) could be playable as well; and I find the Cult of the dragon backstory far more compelling than the dragonborn one, though the backstory for the dragonborn culture isn't terrible - they just come across to me as watered down dragonkin, and watered down lizardfolk, oversexualized (huge boobs) and made into lizard-mammals.

All-in-all, I'm not a fan of those things - largely because they replaced things I quite enjoyed (and therefore the things I enjoyed were not in 4e). For me to like them they would have to be so good as to cancel out my innate dislike for losing support for things I already liked. They simply weren't good enough to do that for me.

If Dragonborn were just one more dragon-thing in Faerun, I could have been indifferent. If Eladrin hadn't replaced Sun and Moon Elves, and precluded the use of actual Eladrin, I could have been indifferent. Halflings have always been kindof boring to me in D&D; and Half-Orcs are kindof meh. (and in 3.5 were mechanically worse than all the other races, including Kobolds and Goblins).

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Oct 2012 11:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  10:49:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be alright.

The Cult was mentioned in the FRCG; it was noted that they had particular success in recruiting dragonborn. I remember this for two reasons: I found it unlikely that the Cult was still going strong after the events of the Rogue Dragon trilogy, and I also found it unlikely that a group based on worshipping dragons would be able to recruit members of a race that hates dragons.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  10:58:08  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The Cult was mentioned in the FRCG; it was noted that they had particular success in recruiting dragonborn. I remember this for two reasons: I found it unlikely that the Cult was still going strong after the events of the Rogue Dragon trilogy, and I also found it unlikely that a group based on worshipping dragons would be able to recruit members of a race that hates dragons.

Huh. Yeah. That makes little sense. And I wouldn't have expected them to be 'going strong'. Though they were a large organization filled with many immortal and long-lived dragons and half-dragons and dragonkin. They would still be around, even in a diminished capacity.

Apparently they had a blurb about them or so.

So the Cult is still there.

I still want my Dragonkin and Half-Dragons to be a supported part of the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  10:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah. We definitely disagree. My favorite PC races include none of those. Most of those are pretty low on my list of preferences.

My favorite things I have seen characters of (varying power levels, in descending order, though many - but not all- *Could* be made balanced playable races easily enough.)
Githyanki, Drow, Kobolds, Tieflings (Pathfinder Style, with several sub-varieties based on lineage), Moon Elves, Wood Elves, Wild Elves, Sun Elves, Rock Gnomes, Fire Genasi 3e, Half-Dragons, Earth Genasi 3e, (All Dwarves), Water Genasi 3e, Air Genasi 3e, Orcs, Lizardfolk, Hobgoblins, Half-Elves, Humans, Satyrs, Dryads, Centaurs, Driders, Pseudodragons, Ibixians, Crinti, Awakened Animals...

For me Dragonborn are way at the bottom with Halflings and Eladrin 4e. (things I'm inclined to avoid playing, but that I could (other than Eladrin, unless I changed the name and backstory) *Maybe* find a use for as NPCs.)

Likewise, I like to use the 3e Eladrin (which were a category of celestials), which in Pathfinder got renamed to Agathions (Stupid rename, but they were trying to avoid conflict with 4e's "Almost an elf" race with the stolen name). I also found it rather contrived that all the various divided sub varieties of elf in faerun would stop thinking of themselves of the race they were for centuries and consider themselves Eladrin instead, in what is for them like 10 years to a human. Additionally if you liked the divide of Wild/Wood Elves (instead of using the term Green Elves to describe two vastly different wilderness based elves with some shared lineage), the 4e elves are what happens when you interbreed a wild elves (dont exist in 4e) with Eladrin - which makes no sense, unless you just ignore previous books. Additionally, if you only use "green elves" from 2e, they're mostly the feral variety - the ones that don't exist in 4e.

If they wanted to introduce teleporting fey that look like elves I could deal with that; but not at the expense of eladrin and elves, and with all sorts of irrational ramifications.

As for the Dragonkin, I like them and the Cult of the Dragon as antagonists. Probably my third favorite set of antagonists, after devils, and the drow.

However, If they used racial levels like Monte Cooks d20 RPG or the Warcraft d20 RPG instead of level adjusts, Dragonkin and Minotaurs (another favorite that is a large creature) could be playable as well; and I find the Cult of the dragon backstory far more compelling than the dragonborn one, though the backstory for the dragonborn culture isn't terrible - they just come across to me as watered down dragonkin, and watered down lizardfolk, oversexualized (huge boobs) and made into lizard-mammals.

All-in-all, I'm not a fan of those things - largely because they replaced things I quite enjoyed (and therefore the things I enjoyed were not in 4e).

Fair enough, it's something I can understand.

Just, as someone who does honestly enjoy and prefer the 4e versions of most races, I don't want to see them replaced when the new edition rolls around.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  11:04:26  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fair enough, it's something I can understand.

Just, as someone who does honestly enjoy and prefer the 4e versions of most races, I don't want to see them replaced when the new edition rolls around.

Which; fair enough. That was my response shortly before I learned they were ditching the things I liked to make the things you like. Then I was frustrated and unhappy that they were ditching the things I liked.

I don't feel a need to deprive you of your things; I just want my things back (names included - and yours could have name changes, and less ret-conny-replacing-other-races backstories).

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Oct 2012 11:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  11:12:30  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that dragonborn will receive similar treatment to goliaths. Goliaths have been mentioned a few times in FR source books, but they are not as in your face as the 4e racial additions. The concept is to allow a gaming groups tastes to direct whether these kinds of races play a major role in the setting as opposed to forcing them on everyone.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  11:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, what's in a name. I can live with that change.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  11:34:08  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, what's in a name. I can live with that change.

I hope they do that, and that the other 4e fans don't get up-in-arms over it.

I think I'm one of the more flexible 4e non-fans (at least for this board).

I dont care about the timejump so much, or that many NPCs are dead. I mean, it would be nice if they weren't, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I just want my older materials I like to be relevant again (countries and gods back), and the races and factions I like supported, complete with their histories in the new edition.

:)

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Oct 2012 11:35:43
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  14:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess, the compromise is

most of the abeir stuff to be moved back to abeir (except some pockets there will provide ruins etc as adventures opportunities)
some portals between the worlds (with some problems, that does not work all the time, difficult to predict when they work)
WOTC would probably have to make a sourcebook about Abeir.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  14:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would strongly support an Abeir sourcebook.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  15:32:27  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would strongly support an Abeir sourcebook.

I think they are in a position now to make Abeir its entirely own campaign world. Those that like it can include it in the realms, and those that don't need it can ignore it. Kind of like how Ravenloft or Planescape worked with the realms. No one that ran the forgotten realms was expected to include those campaign settings, but they fit well if you wanted them.

I think Abeir was unneeded as there are plenty of undeveloped area of the realms. It felt like an unnecessary addition. Putting resources into an Abeir sourcebook would allow the people who like it to have all the goodies they want, while not interfering with the normal realms unless individual games want it to.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 17 Oct 2012 15:35:25
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  15:34:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not wanting to get involved with the argument here, but just this statement kind of reminded me of how over the years in our own world the Politically Correct name for People of Color has changed with each generation it seems.... the "word that I shall not name", black, colored american, people of color, African-American, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  16:29:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That would be alright.

The Cult has also since been referenced in several Realms-focused DDI articles as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  18:26:45  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the OP, First of all, the Dragonborn never belonged to begin with. Next, I wouldn't worry too much Dragonborn existed before Tymanther and were actually known as Dragonborn of Bahamut. Check out Dragons of Faerun and Races of the Dragon.

Edited by - Razz on 17 Oct 2012 18:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  18:45:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Markus, moving the dragonborn into the Lost Vale would get them butting heads with the Shades, they own that Vale now and bad boy for liking an elemental empire in Calimshan!
Oh yeah... the Shades... I really try to block them out of my mind.

Not like we can move them elsewhere... after-all a race based on darkness and that hates light should be located in a bright desert, right?

Personally, I'd move the Shade enclave down to Erlkazar - I think its a better fit there. 'Dark Empires' are always better on the periphery of a setting, not dead-center (IMHO). You know, like how Ed had Thay, Mulhorand, Calimshan, etc. Cover the entire Erlkazar region with never-ending cloud cover (and lots of 'dark, stormy nights'), etc - its a good vibe for the area, and one they've already been leaning towards. You've got the Ghost king down there, Obsidian Ridge, Saestra Karanok, etc. It seems a much more fitting 'playground' for them.

I'd make Anauroch more like the Mournlands. Speaking of which, portals to Abeir (and just about anywhere else) could be attributed to 'wild magic surges' which should still happen, because they are an EXCELLENT tool for DMs. You want your group to go somewhere? Hit them with some chaos and 'POOF' they're there. Anywhere from Abeir to Ravenloft to the Outer Planers, etc... its all good. The fun part is that they then have to find a way home.

So I agree that portals of that nature should never be permanent, or reliable. They are DM's tool, not a PC's.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  18:58:23  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why donīt we move the Shades to Mount Celestia? I am sure they will have a great time there

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  20:08:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah... bring back the plane of Radiance and stick them there. They desperately need a tan.

And now I just got this strange amalgam-vision of The Jersey Shore and the Shades.

The Jersey Shades? "Its a shadow-thing!"

Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  21:04:57  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Not wanting to get involved with the argument here, but just this statement kind of reminded me of how over the years in our own world the Politically Correct name for People of Color has changed with each generation it seems.... the "word that I shall not name", black, colored american, people of color, African-American, etc...

True. Though usually the older people continue to use the older term; and it takes a while to catch on. I can't see the bulk of a race that lives the majority of a milennium, and change their culture VERY slowly, switching over to a new term and forgetting all the racial divisions in 100 years. Not a chance.

It would be like if half the europeans decided (in a 5-7 year window) that they should all be called Kirrels instead of whatever nationality they belonged to (greek, italian, french, etc), and the other half decided that they should all be just called Europeans (and forget all preexisting racial and cultural divides); and then they homogenized the cultures alot in that 5-7 year time period as well. Plus, you find out that huge interbreeding populations suddenly make little sense because suddenly half the population aren't and have never been mammals.

I find it to be rather absurd.

I want my elves to go back to being elves again. Eladrin could be in an Abeir sourcebook for the people who want them. I recognize this can only be done if they essentially act like the last retcon never happened (which itself is a retcon). I generally dislike retcons, but I'm okay with that - just fix what the last team broke.

If I have to read about the various 4e races that replaced the races I liked in forgotten realms, its a major detracting point, and may bother me enough that I won't buy the books.

WotC: Undo the ridiculous retcons please.

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Oct 2012 21:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  21:06:57  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

True. Though usually the older people continue to use the older term; and it takes a while to catch on. I can't see the bulk of a race that lives the majority of a milennium, and change their culture VERY slowly, switching over to a new term and forgetting all the racial divisions in 100 years. Not a chance.

It would be like if half the europeans decided (in a 5-7 year window) that they should all be called Kirrels instead of whatever nationality they belonged to (greek, italian, french, etc), and the other half decided that they should all be just called europeans; and they homogenized the cultures alot in that time period as well. Plus, you find out that huge interbreeding populations suddenly make little sense because suddenly half the population aren't and have never been mammals.

And Dragonborn of Bahamut was a template that could be applied to lots of things, not a race.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  21:16:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It would be like if half the europeans decided (in a 5-7 year window) that they should all be called Kirrels instead of whatever nationality they belonged to (greek, italian, french, etc), and the other half decided that they should all be just called Europeans (and forget all preexisting racial and cultural divides); and then they homogenized the cultures alot in that 5-7 year time period as well. Plus, you find out that huge interbreeding populations suddenly make little sense because suddenly half the population aren't and have never been mammals.

I want my elves to go back to being elves again. Eladrin could be in an Abeir sourcebook for the people who want them. I recognize this can only be done if they essentially act like the last retcon never happened (which itself is a retcon). I generally dislike retcons, but I'm okay with that - just fix what the last team broke.

If I have to read about the various 4e races that replaced the races I liked in forgotten realms, its a major detracting point, and may bother me enough that I won't buy the books.

WotC: Undo the ridiculous retcons please.

Trust me. I thought the rename was stupid too. I guess just the way you phrased it suddenly kicked a funny bone in my side.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  21:27:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The elven rearrangement bothered me a great deal. Especially when we got an article talking about the need for paring down elves, and that article inflated the number of sub-types by throwing in various elves from different settings, when several of those types were either very specific to the setting, or were different names for essentially the same thing.

I'd be happy to see elves going back to the delineations used in the Old Grey Boxed Set once again.

As for Dragonborn, I think I may have even posted this at the keep somewhere, but my thoughts were that they really should have been Dragonborn of Bahamut that for whatever reason began to breed true. We wouldn't have a ton of them after 100 years, but they would be numerous enough to say that they weren't unique either.

However, I seem to remember a lot of concern that if a race was fit for PC use, there had to be enough of them in the setting to represent a significant portion of the population, and I never quite understood that logic, especially in light of how much 4e seemed to hit upon the "PCs are special and a cut above the population" notes.
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  21:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they could also somehow have linked it to those dragoneggs there were falling from the sky
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  22:21:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I never cared for the addition of the 4th Dragonborn, as trying to convert an old PC over into one for a 4th ed game(he was originally a half-gold dragon/Moon elf) just ruined that PC. I disliked them so much mechanically that I honestly hate them now. They are NOTHING like the old half-dragons, or even the previous version of "dragonborn". I'd prefer just leaving them out altogether.

Edit: And for the record, that particular PC wasn't even an over-powered munchkin- I built him off the old 2n ed version, where dragon abilities had to be gained through level advancement, chosen at the time they were gained, and would replace traits they already had from their other race. He was just a Pali/Bard who happened to be able to breathe fire.... (And this at a time when Palis were supposed to be human only- but I was ahead of the times on that, LOL!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 17 Oct 2012 22:25:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000