Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  06:19:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he is related to this guy.

Anyone else think he looks like The Spectre in that pose?

I guess The GAP was running a sale on green hoodies.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Sep 2012 06:22:58
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  09:11:27  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The TV-series "Lexx" was amazing fantasy/sci-fi (Its in space with technology but there is magic and stuff).
I think it only aired in Canada but you can find it on streaming websites.

Not safe for work though.
Go to Top of Page

Spencer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  09:16:38  Show Profile Send Spencer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Merlin last week. I'm halfway through season 2 now. It's a really fun show, not amazing like GoT, but highly enjoyable. The dynamic between Merlin and Arthur is probably the best part :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  09:58:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just started The Tudors. They assembled a great cast, and chose the right man for the lead role. The first episode holds some great promise for the series. Though, admittedly, I'm not that inclined to start Episode 2 yet, nor soon.

Years ago, I watched Hero, The Practice, Smallville, Charmed...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  17:23:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

The TV-series "Lexx" was amazing fantasy/sci-fi (Its in space with technology but there is magic and stuff).
Lexx aired here in the states - it used to go on right after Farscape (and I watched both).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  18:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the new Green Arrow series goes, I am surprised they didn't just use the guy from Smallville and spin it off of that show. Green Arrow was a recurring character on Smallville for a few seasons.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  02:43:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

As far as the new Green Arrow series goes, I am surprised they didn't just use the guy from Smallville and spin it off of that show. Green Arrow was a recurring character on Smallville for a few seasons.

I've never been a Green Arrow fan [except for his long ago exploits with Green Lantern Hal Jordan in the classic O'Neil and Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow comic book], but I did like the character's portrayal on Smallville.

Not really all that impressed with what I've seen with the new Arrow series either.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  04:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I've never been a Green Arrow fan [except for his long ago exploits with Green Lantern Hal Jordan in the classic O'Neil and Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow comic book], but I did like the character's portrayal on Smallville.

Not really all that impressed with what I've seen with the new Arrow series either.

I have to believe it was due to the character appearing on Smallville that this new show is happening, so to me it just doesn't make sense to not build on that. I will give it a chance if I see it on. So far though, it only looks a step or two above Birds of Prey. I think DC needs to focus more on their animated movies (and make more of them) and their live action movies (as in, make a few good ones beyond Batman).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  04:22:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Lexx aired here in the states - it used to go on right after Farscape (and I watched both).
I watched the trailers. The effects need some serious improvement. And the characters....Oh, well, I don't want to rant.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  05:54:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watched the premiere of 666 Park Avenue* tonight. Seems the devil lives in Manhattan... what else is new?

It looks like it has promise. I wish I could say the same for Revolution - finally caught an episode and it bored me to tears.

*Found a trailer: Don't bother watching it after the sounds stops - its just the same video repeating.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Oct 2012 05:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  08:06:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Finally found a new and exciting series...Code: Breaker. I watched the first two episodes, and really liked it. A ruthless protagonist who eliminates 'vermins' by burning them with his own brand of blue fire. [The girl's a tad annoying though.]

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  16:02:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once Upon a Time is a good series. I thought it'd be more along the lines of something the wife would like, but she said I'd probably like it too. She was right. Deals with every storybook character we've ever read about being trapped in the real world. Rumplestiltskin and the Evil Queen are awesome! It's really good. Season 2 just started a few weeks ago. ;)

Game of Thrones is also really good, but season 3 doesn't start until March '13 I believe.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  19:05:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agent Coulson may have bit the bullet on the big screen, but loos like Marvel is bringing him back somehow for the new SHIELD tv series...

http://collider.com/shield-tv-series-clark-gregg/202906/

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  22:23:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Agent Coulson may have bit the bullet on the big screen, but loos like Marvel is bringing him back somehow for the new SHIELD tv series...

Actually, we don't know he bit the bullet on the big screen. He was seriously injured, sure, but we didn't actually hear the EMTs say he was dead - they just arrived and started working. The info that was dead -- as well as the bloody collector cards -- came from Fury. And Agent Hill pointed out that Coulson didn't carry those cards on his person, so we know Fury was doing some manipulation, there. I believe it was actually said in the movie: they needed someone to avenge.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  23:51:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, yes, we do know that he died. The EMT's got there while Fury was still there, and their first words in the bg were "call it". Meaning, calling the time of death. He was, in fact, dead before they arrived. We saw that. Sad, but then, with death being what it is in comic superhero movies/series/books, I'd not be surprised if a way was found to bring him back.

Also, Fury only said that to get them motivated, not because there was something to hide. Yes, he lied about the cards, but even Agent Hill simply said they weren't in his pocket, which implies that she had personally gone through his pockets and/or locker where the cards were found. Probably cleaning out personal effects after his death.

Hmm, 666 Park Avenue sounds interesting. I'll have to check that one out, along with Once Upon a Time and a couple of the others mentioned. Sounds like tv is finally starting to get good again!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 14 Oct 2012 23:58:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  03:23:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Actually, we don't know he bit the bullet on the big screen. He was seriously injured, sure, but we didn't actually hear the EMTs say he was dead - they just arrived and started working. The info that was dead -- as well as the bloody collector cards -- came from Fury. And Agent Hill pointed out that Coulson didn't carry those cards on his person, so we know Fury was doing some manipulation, there. I believe it was actually said in the movie: they needed someone to avenge.

The case of Agent Coulson is very interesting. Especially since we've also now learned that the UK release of the Blu-ray edition of The Avengers features an edited scene involving Coulson's death. Apparently, the tip of Loki's sceptre, which we all saw protruding from Coulson's chest on the silver screen version, has been removed from the UK disc release. It's still unknown whether this was due to differing censorship laws between the US and the UK, or it was due to some proposed revising of Coulson's death [and in light of what we've learned now about his appearance in the SHIELD television series, that's a distinct possibility].

Interestingly, I still maintain my own theory that the Coulson that "died," was in fact a Life Model Decoy. The LMD's are referenced in the Marvel filmverse, because they're brought up in a discussion between Stark and Coulson at the beginning of The Avengers. Which, in turn, ties into my theory that the supposed appearance of the Vision in the future filmverse, will in fact be the LMD-Prime of Coulson.

Of course, this is all just speculation, but it's also based on stuff we've either seen or heard uttered through the films since 2008's Iron Man.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  04:54:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Actually, yes, we do know that he died. The EMT's got there while Fury was still there, and their first words in the bg were "call it". Meaning, calling the time of death. He was, in fact, dead before they arrived. We saw that. Sad, but then, with death being what it is in comic superhero movies/series/books, I'd not be surprised if a way was found to bring him back.

Nope -- Fury said that they called it. The EMTs are only onscreen for a second or two, and they didn't say anything. And the scene shifted, so we didn't see what they did or said.

Fury then called up to the command center, saying the EMTs had called it.

And again, this was after Coulson said to Fury that the Avengers needed something to avenge.

Coulson simply falls silent. Yes, death is the likely cause of that -- but it's also possible he passed out. And given the short interval between his silence and the arrival of the EMTs, it's also possible he did die for several seconds, but they were able to revive him.

So it would be a little like the impermanent death of comics for them to have him back up and running -- but at the same time, we don't know for certain that he was dead. All we have is Fury's word on it -- the word of someone with a need to bring the Avengers together and focus them in a particular direction. Since the bloody cards were a lie to bring it home, I don't see it as being unlikely that Fury also lied about Coulson's death.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  01:17:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going back to TV....

Anyone not watching Once Upon a Time really should be. I wasn't a big fan of the show first season (when no-one knew who they were), but its getting really juicy now, and its very cool how they've woven all the different fairy-tales and other stories together. They've now brought in Neverland, Wonderland, Greek myths, Camelot, Mulan - the plot and cast just keep growing. Its awesome.

And having Hurley (Jorge Garcia) as 'The Giant' was just plain cool - perfect casting. Very different take on the ogres as well (they are blind and hunt by smell and hearing).

They've also established several different ways to 'travel between the worlds', which is very adaptable to FR/D&D. The show appeals to me because I've always loved the idea of "why have one world, when you can have them all?" type of RPG. All you need is a mirror, magic hat, enchanted wardrobe, or beanstalk, etc... and you've got a new place to explore.

In fact, any company with any brains would be trying to buy the RPG rights to the show - its like Stargate with monsters and magic.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Nov 2012 09:28:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  01:54:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The first episode didn't grab me. It's meant for kids, largely. Not that everything meant for kids is bad for adults (Avatar would invalidate that), but still...

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  03:37:57  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

N Couple that with Neil Gaiman possibly writing another episode for this season, and I think I'll be prone to multiple SageGasms.

<snip>

They will start shooting Wednesday (or it was last Wed, I can't remember) in fact. He had the table reading the with the cast last week, did a little bit of re-writing so they could start shooting. (all via his twitter feed)

Happy Monday. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  04:04:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's awesome news. Now, I wonder whether there will be any truth to the rumour that this new story will be a follow-up from last season's "The Doctor's Wife?"

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  06:08:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about any television series or movie can be a source of inspiration. It's the story that counts. Some of my favorites over the years have included: X Files, Babylon 5, all Trek films/series, The Tudors, Smallville, several anime series, etc, etc, etc...I could make a such a long list for this.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  00:28:08  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh so much shows I love... Some special ones for me are Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Dr.Who and Rome. I'm sure there are many others I'm forgetting... from the currently running ones I think my favorite is Downton Abbey. Game of Thrones has become a bit boring for me after reading all the books... books are way better. Breaking Bad is also one of my favourite shows.

I watch Merlin while I'm eating dinner or something like that. I consider it as a light fun pass the time kind of show. I used to watch Dexter and Smallville but lost interest over time.

I also watch some sitcoms like Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother but currently there are not much good comedy shows, especially not on American networks. Thank God for It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia!

Where are the shows like Coupling or Carnivale nowadays?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:33:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Another premiere I am looking forward to this year is Terra Nova - I am not totally committed yet, but it has a lot of potential.
I thought the show had [unfortunately] been cancelled? As I recall, the studio just couldn't crunch the numbers for the expenditures involved in producing a second season.
quote:
We need another Galactica.

Well, there's two potential opportunities for new Galactica. There's the-always-in-limbo Blood and Chrome series, which is supposedly set during the Cyclon War. And the Larson-inspired Galactica big-budget film series which has been slivering around rumour-vines since the original BG creator first hinted at the possibility of revisiting his original masterpiece, just after the re-imagined series concluded.

Holy cow, there is a possibility of more Galactica? I hope it happens. I was really liking Caprica when it was turned off. That is one of my all time favorite series.
And to this, I add, the "new" trailer for Blood and Chrome.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  05:04:35  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sage I have not heard yet. Last time the only thing he let slip was the title. No matter what the subject is, it will be awesome. The cast apparently are thrilled with the story. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  05:16:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The new episode of Code: Breaker is quite fun. I now have another favorite metal-bending character: Toki Fujiwara. The following description of his powers is taken from Wikipedia, and you won't be surprised that most of it was derived from Magneto's.

quote:
As a Code: Breaker, Toki has the ability to manipulate Magnetism. This power allows him to attract and repel all metallic object as projectiles, destroy electronic equipment, and grants him sonar-like sense detector towards any metal weaponry. When serious, Toki uses "Hydrargyrum" or Liquid Mercury in battle, which he controls with great ease to be very flexible and with it, he was able to even create clones of himself.

After his training with Shibuya, he becomes much stronger, so much that he blew a hole in the house wall (the wall is partly metal) during his spar with Shibuya (who had shown some severe injury from the impact). Later during the Re-Code's raiding of Shibuya Mansion in order to obtain the Pandora's box, it is discovered the secret of Toki's new found strength is that he learned to control magnetism using "attraction" by applying the Gauss Principle (or Principle of Least Constraint, using constraints to create acceleration between two objects), thus creating "Gauss Cannon," through the use of his arms. The power it holds is indeed immense as he was able to blast back Kouji (Scarred Re-Code 03, also called the "God of Destruction" because of his great combat prowess) several feet because of its power.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  06:35:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man how could I have forgotten all of the Stargates? BIG source of good gaming material in those! Now if they would just take up SGU again.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  08:22:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Man how could I have forgotten all of the Stargates? BIG source of good gaming material in those! Now if they would just take up SGU again.

There were some rumours on Newsarama back in April that SGU "might" be finished up as a comic book series published by Dynamite Entertainment -- kind of like what both Dark Horse having been doing with Buffy and DC are currently attempting with the Eleventh Season of Smallville in comic book format.

Haven't heard much about this since that time, though. Unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  15:15:36  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

@Sage I have not heard yet. Last time the only thing he let slip was the title. No matter what the subject is, it will be awesome. The cast apparently are thrilled with the story. :)

I actually read this morning that it is about Cybermen. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  15:50:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

Aye. News on the project has been swaying back and forth for other a year now.

Thankfully, it looks like Blood and Chrome is moving forward. So even if we miss the webpisodes, it's eventually being screened on television, and will then head to a DVD release.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000