Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  06:08:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That guy better keep his hands off of my speed. It wasn't cheap.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  13:24:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old news to some, but I was ecstatic to learn of the Heroes relaunch.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Oct 2014 13:25:12
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  01:18:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Black Sails tonight. Ep 1 Season 2. 9 pm EST.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  03:16:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Black Sails fans out there?

Spoiler Alert

So Vayne took out Lowe and now Guthrie pits Flint against Vayne? She is crazy. Vayne is the Hulk, but Flint is completely ruthless. My favorite television hour of the week. Can't wait to see
what happens next. Gotta get my pirate on.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Feb 2015 03:20:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  05:56:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've even heard of that one... But I don't watch a lot of TV, and nothing that isn't either DVR'ed or on Netflix.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  02:53:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say I'm a fan. Yet. But it's definitely in the "When I have the time, catch up on this series" pile of new shows I still have to watch.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  17:29:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread before, but I just got done re-watching the entire Full Metal Alchemist series (first show, NOT 'Brotherhood').

Man, I forgot just how dark that show was. When I watched it the first time it was spread out, but binge-watching it over a weekend was gritty as hell.

Anyhow, I've always used that show as a great way to picture the Imaskari Empire. The Netherese were more like 'magical Rome', but the Imaskari seem to have evolved from a 'good' place (from their own PoV, I would imagine) to something very dark near the end, visiting and stealing people from other worlds, enslaving nearby 'states' (or eradicating them completely), summoning extra-dimensional monstrosities, etc, etc. And the alchemy in that show fits with how I picture Imaskari magic (sorcery) working - more like fey magic; you just grab some energy and picture the end result (also related to genie magic). Also, the show had some steampunk-esque machines (including a cyborg!) toward the end, which fits in with what Raumathar did later on (using 'forbidden' ancient Imaskari Arcanotech). Lastly, the 'summoning circles' thing fits in to how Imaskari magic is based on fey magic (which is all about 'magical circles' of power).

For my Fanon lore I am going to use that as a jumping-off point, but in my Misbegotten Realms (Hybrid Homebrew) I am going to just steal it wholesale.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Aug 2015 15:55:31
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  07:31:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For my Fanon lore I am going to use that as a jumping-off point, but in my Misbegotten Realms (Hybrid Homebrew) I am going to just steal it wholesale.

Um...THIS

FMA was a great show (and Brotherhood is just as good, if not better). I can see how it meshes fairly well with ancient Imaskar, though I'm uncertain how far their arcanatech went). Still, it seems a nice fit and is just another example of how much I anticipate your Misbegotten Realms.

I haven't really read this thread as I doubt there will ever be a television adaptation of the Realms created. But if it ever were, I'd want a gritty show akin to Netflix's Marco Polo. You have to make the characters interesting and easy to relate too. Also, with all the magic showcased in the published Realms, there would have to be excellent special effects available whilst preventing such power from overshadowing the plot.

And as far as the plot goes, I'd want a TV series to shy away from 'canon' and go for something original.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  16:06:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Arcanotech' was a minor discipline in Imaskar. Gates (and by association, summonings) were there primary area of research, and the 'Golemic sciences' was big at first (which ties into humonculi), but was later replaced by Alchemy (using materials to augment magical rituals) when the Anoque (Spiritfolk) arrived from another world. Arcanotech was merely a branch-off of their Gate/portal and golemic technologies.

After the fall, the 'survivor states' (many of which have now disappeared) ran with certain aspects of the Imaskari magical traditions. One could assume that schools were spread all over the empire, and whichever ones survived nearby, thats the way that culture went. The Arcanotech (which would include automail from FMA) school was probably somewhere in the far north - maybe even centered in Winterkeep (not the island part from the novel - the portion that would have been on the mainland). Thats why the Raumathari went in that direction.

Mostly supposition on my part.

On Topic:
Another show (anime) I just started watching is Deadman: Wonderland, and its very weird. I may borrow some stuff for blood magic, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  08:02:41  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deadman: Wonderland is strange but interesting. As I havent seen anything beyond the first season (Im not even sure there's anything beyond season 1) it's hard to really gauge how the concepts from that show would mesh with the Realms. There's really not enough of an explanation as to what gives them there powers in the first season.

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing the FR comics adapted into an anime-style show. A crew aboard a magical ship seeking out 'dangerous' artifacts for safekeeping could work if done properly. It showcases 'high-fantasy' and, if done properly, could make the viewers relate to the characters. Just look at shows like Avatar, DBZ, Full Metal, Naruto etc. and you'll see what I mean about good character writing (though I wouldn't want the childishness often seen in some of those programs).

Make it 'adult' enough for some of us older folks with enough kewlness for the younger crowd and they could have a real gem.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  16:46:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said that for quite some time - there SHOULD BE a really good anime based on FR/D&D.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  18:21:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've said that for quite some time - there SHOULD BE a really good anime based on FR/D&D.

It's an older one, and I've not personally seen it, but I understand that Record of Lodoss War was based on a D&D campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  07:18:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads-up.

Finished Deadman: Wonderland and now moved onto Sword Art Online. I think I like weird premises... but isn't that ALL animes?

At least in SAO they are playing an RPG, even if it is a computer one.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  04:49:37  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A show based on the Shannara series is coming to MTV. Here's a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Note the style and imagery of the backdrop. I think it's a good choice on their part to highlight the post-apocalyptic (fallen from modern era and lost technology) background of the setting when much of the cover art for the novel series tends to sell it as a more traditional pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. It is one way to differentiate it from the major fantasy series thus far and taps into the very popular post-apocalyptic genre.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  05:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

A show based on the Shannara series is coming to MTV. Here's a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Note the style and imagery of the backdrop. I think it's a good choice on their part to highlight the post-apocalyptic (fallen from modern era and lost technology) background of the setting when much of the cover art for the novel series tends to sell it as a more traditional pseudo-medieval fantasy setting. It is one way to differentiate it from the major fantasy series thus far and taps into the very popular post-apocalyptic genre.

That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to catch that when it premiers.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  13:40:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads-up.

Finished Deadman: Wonderland and now moved onto Sword Art Online. I think I like weird premises... but isn't that ALL animes?

At least in SAO they are playing an RPG, even if it is a computer one.

If you want RPG themed anime check out Overlord. Its an ongoing series about an undead necromancer who gets trapped in a VR world and decides to conquer it becayse why not?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  18:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

That looks amazing! I'm definitely going to catch that when it premiers.

It does look incredible, and I like the way they play up the "this is our world, but much later" angle. That really didn't get much play in the original books; he only started emphasizing that later. As I recall, in the Elfstones book, it's really only expressed when Allanon is explaining elven history to Wil and Flick.

They were giving away copies of Elfstones at GenCon -- there was a table upstairs, outside the Writers' Symposium area. I didn't attend the latter, but my friend and I had wandered up there, where we bumped into my fave BattleTech author, Michael Stackpole. Even though I already had a copy of the book -- I'd just replaced mine a couple months previous -- I decided to go ahead and grab one. (I'm a big fan of free!)

I wound up giving that extra copy to a guy at work who has never read the book.

For me, Elfstones of Shannara was one of the first fantasy novels I read, when I was specifically looking for more fantasy to try.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  07:07:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT: You may also want to look into the Fate series of anime. Netflix has Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works). I don't if any of the rest of the Fate series on yet but those are worth watching for ideas.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000