Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running New Blindengstone Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  18:23:49  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just started running a new bi-weekly FR campaign in NYC. We're playtesting the D&D Next rules and are about to start the Reclaiming Blindengstone adventure included with the playtest materials.

I started the game in Silverymoon and the PCs are currently traveling through the Silver Marches. One major plot point so far in the campaign have been that the temple of Lathander in Silverymoon is searching for a divine sign to show them the way to a new high priest. Secondly, worshippers of Talona have been unleashing plagues (think ten plagues) in parts of the Silver Marches. They have some help from the Malarites.

I'm just looking for suggestions about Blindengstone and its environs, Silver Marches games, and anything else you might think is helpful. I'm running at about the same time period as the FRCS 3.0.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 12 Sep 2012 18:27:10

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  20:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent conversation we had about Blingdenstone here at the Keep was this one: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16788

It's focused more on exactly how it fell and whether it was possible to save, rather than current environs, but we do a bit of speculating on the actual fall, which could be useful for what's still there.

I think the only places Blingdenstone was covered in 3e is the FRCS, Silver Marches, and then there's an update in Underdark. Underdark says that there are three main groups in there now: a pack of wererats, a bunch of drow scavengers, and some evil magical god dust. That that or modify it as you will.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  20:28:00  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That thread has a lot of interesting details in it. The adventure created for the playtest is specifically low-level, so bebiliths and drow invasions are probably off the grid. My group tends to go through combats really quickly, so I like to have some other possibilities in store.

Does anyone have any ideas for potential non-combat encounters in Blindengstone and its environs.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:17:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When running anything subterranean, I usually throw in some 'mushroom people' for comic relief, but I don't know your style. There are at least three different species of them, IIRC.

And there always veggie-pygmies. The name alone always make me laugh.

Plus they are pretty low-level. Most of the Underdark critters are bit too tough for low-lev encounters.

EDIT: I don't know what suggestions the other thread has, but kobolds are also a good choice - they would probably love to take-over some abandoned gnome digs. You could give the 'boss' a spellscar and have him breath fire.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2012 21:19:18
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:32:15  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I think there are already kobolds in the adventure. I'm running the pre-Spellplague, so no spellscars.

But the myconids idea definitely has merit.

I guess I'm just hoping to smooth out the edges so that the adventure feels like it is organic to the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:54:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I should have read the adventure - I'm going to be running it myself this weekend.

Before we had 'Spellscars', we had 'victims of wild magic surges'. Same difference. I just like to throw-in something a little unexpected at the end.

I'm not big on traps myself, but they are pretty standard fair low-lev adventures.

Another under-used creature that I personally find very disturbing are Jermlaine. There was a very good dragon article on them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2012 21:59:33
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  22:05:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jermlaine is a good idea. I'll think about some traps as well.

I highly advise reading this particular adventure thoroughly in advance, and perhaps even making some notes. Ordinarily, I am somewhat of a play it by ear DM, but this adventure has a lot of parts to it, and the PCs can do them in any order they want. You can't just prepare the first part and hope they'll do it because they can do any of the six parts of the adventure in whatever order they want, and all the parts reference things happening in other parts.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  22:14:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice - I am also a 'play it by ear' guy. I wasn't planning to look over the adventure until a little while before running it.

And if you want to know why Jermlain bother me so much - when I was 10 I saw the original Don't be afraid of the Dark. I slept with the lights on for the next three years after that. I still get creeped out when I see those things.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  23:09:44  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved that show as a kid. Sometimes, gobliny creatures are even more creepy than undead.

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:14:08  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EB,

When is the adventure set? 1370 or 1372? And have you decided if Blingdenstone fell as detailed in the 3E FRCS or otherwise? I might have some suggestions for you! ;)

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  02:30:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the adventure (and I'm doing this off the top of my head), Blindengstone fell because of a drow invasion, combined with some problems related to a nasty malevolent earth elemental.

I haven't settled on the exact year for the campaign - it hasn't come up yet - though I was basically just using the timeline as it stood in the 3.0./3.5 FR books. I'm trying to be a little bit flexible in terms of when things happened.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  15:21:15  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Does anyone have any ideas for potential non-combat encounters in Blindengstone and its environs.

The party finds an unexpected mini-chasm crossable only by a broken stone bridge. The walls are slick from a green slime (not the monster, only slime) making climbing over it difficult. High winds constantly buffet the area adding to the difficulty. A grapple could be used to latch to the other side of the bridge if the party has over 30 feet of rope. But the stonework on the other side has been compromise there is a small chance the grapple could fail while the party is crossing. A person who drops into the chasm will fall for a good 20 feet before being caught by a gigantic spider web. The resident spider has long since been slain by a previous party. They traveled down to the web to retrieve their fallen comrade. Some small items (coin or equipment) may still be stuck on the web. Breaking free from the web should be hard and contending with the high winds plus slime on the walls would make going back up truly difficult.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  16:34:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that one. I may use it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000