Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Imaskari city and the city
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  13:13:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are theories that the Imaskari more or less built Sigil, tough only a couple of things in the city could be ascribed to their style. Now imagine if they managed to build it completely but later lost control. What would be the differences between Sigil and such city? Different shape, gates, caretakers, factions, wards, history, would they have an artificial sun like in Deep Imaskar? would the Athar merge with the Godsmen? etc.?

Something I'm considering for the next campaign.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  14:22:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that were true, I'd personally have it be that the Imaskari of the realms were scattered refugees from Sigil whenever they lost control. In fact, I don't know where these theories came from, but perhaps these Imaskari were just a faction involved in its creation, thus why its all mashed up. Maybe they arrived on Toril and sought to hide themselves from whatever had caused them to leave, and in their haste to leave they had to leave behind much of their lore and their more powerful casters. They then interbred with the local population and their children raised up an empire. Just an idea.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  17:07:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the original theory - an excellent one created by Rip Van Wormer - its left vague enough for folks to spin it how they want it. My own take was that the Imaskari found an an ancient (Batrachi?) gate and built their first city around it - a 'holy city' dedicated to the god Aoscar. After the disaster (the city disappeared) they disavowed all gods. That is my own 'finishing take' on Rip's theory.

I feel this is something that is continually repeated, on different worlds, by different groups, and that is how Sigil itself 'evolves'. I am not sure why Aoscar would want to do this, unless he was Sigil's original deity, but I think the 'truth' is probably for more complicated/convoluted then that. If Sigil was truly meant to be some sort of 'cosmic prison', perhaps he was The Warden? And the LoP its last inmate?

Regardless, I can't really help beyond my own cosmic theories, because I really can't picture the Imaskari building the entire thing. Maybe they were just the first to add to its original structure? (They discovered the Prison in the Outlands, and decided to build a city there?)

I think the Imaskari are more likely to build a 'planer city' that actually moves about. Then again, one that behaves like the Domains of Dread - that 'reaches out' and grabs interesting locales and adds them to itself - is a cool option. It would work for Rip's theory, my own add to it, and what Quale is trying to do.

In that case, the LoP becomes 'the dark powers' (a'la Ravenloft), and it could be possible that the Imaskari, in tampering with her prison, managed turn her/it into a demiplane (with all the attributes that go with that).

EDIT: I don't know enough about Sigil to get into details. I pretty-much only read-through the boxed set. I owned all the rest, but never opened the other boxes (seriously... they were still shrink-wrapped when the house burned).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2012 17:10:56
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  02:17:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going along with you thoughts Marcus, Robert J Kuntz says that the Maure family
in built Castle Maure and that it leaves copies of itself in other campaign worlds,e
(and what-not). I asked Ed where he would put it but he hasn't answered yet.
Maybe you could link Maure Castle and the Suel empire in Greyhawk to the Imaskari
somehow.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  03:40:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long ago I linked the Empire of Alphatia (Mystara) with the Suel Imperium (ended up a desert), the Empire of Netheril (ended up a desert) and the Imaskari (ended up a desert) by way of saying the ancient Flaem (the age old enemies of the Empire of Alphatia...and Fire Wizards) had a cabal that spread across worlds to see to the destruction of every single outpost of the ancient Alphatians.

I had a workable timeline made as well...but lost that long ago.

Other magical empires I tied in with the Alphatians were on homebrew worlds...but it was fun to work out.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  05:42:14  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm even if they did create Sigil, then why did the Lady of Pain intercede and take it away from them? Was she a product of their creation, a living safeguard, like an antivirus with a mind of its own? Or could she be like one of the many beings that the Imaskari bound like Pandorym, and she exacted vengeance by taking over Sigil?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  18:52:02  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the place was there long before the Imaskari, they just added something to it. Probably the mercane (arcane) were among the first who tasted that vengeance, they're really old.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  18:58:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Long ago I linked the Empire of Alphatia (Mystara) with the Suel Imperium (ended up a desert), the Empire of Netheril (ended up a desert) and the Imaskari (ended up a desert) by way of saying the ancient Flaem (the age old enemies of the Empire of Alphatia...and Fire Wizards) had a cabal that spread across worlds to see to the destruction of every single outpost of the ancient Alphatians.

I had a workable timeline made as well...but lost that long ago.

Other magical empires I tied in with the Alphatians were on homebrew worlds...but it was fun to work out.

From that world I used Blackmoor material for the Imaskari artificers, tough it's true that all these other civilizations could be related. Especially the followers of Air from Alphatia, the Akadi's dogma could easily work for a faction or sect in Planescape, or as the precursors of the Sensates, Chaositecs. The Suel and Red Wizards connections are also interesting. I had a pre-Sundering civilization in the Realms, like Alphatia or Azlant from Golarion, now that's gone, cause the people of Lantan are related to Imaskar.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  19:03:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

If that were true, I'd personally have it be that the Imaskari of the realms were scattered refugees from Sigil whenever they lost control. In fact, I don't know where these theories came from, but perhaps these Imaskari were just a faction involved in its creation, thus why its all mashed up. Maybe they arrived on Toril and sought to hide themselves from whatever had caused them to leave, and in their haste to leave they had to leave behind much of their lore and their more powerful casters. They then interbred with the local population and their children raised up an empire. Just an idea.

That's a possibility I considered too, cause Sigil is certainly older than 10 000 years, or another possibility is that they were Incantifier refugees.

Actually for the campaign I prefer these mysteries (including the Lady of Pain) and the past unresolved, only what Imaskari elements would the city have.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  19:07:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think the Imaskari are more likely to build a 'planer city' that actually moves about. Then again, one that behaves like the Domains of Dread - that 'reaches out' and grabs interesting locales and adds them to itself - is a cool option. It would work for Rip's theory, my own add to it, and what Quale is trying to do.

Right, actually I planned to add a technological ward/district called the Verge that is behind such processes, more into the raw Ethereal than other parts of the city it's in ''quantum superposition'' and reaches into worthy cities all over the multiverse and adds them to Sigil, e.g. the City of Brass would then become an ''Arabian'' quarter, or the City of Jade a gateway to the worlds of the Celestial Bureaucracy. These would actually be huge permanent portals so that it appears the cities blend into one.

quote:
In that case, the LoP becomes 'the dark powers' (a'la Ravenloft), and it could be possible that the Imaskari, in tampering with her prison, managed turn her/it into a demiplane (with all the attributes that go with that).

That's one theory, I don't plan to change anything about the Lady tough. For Aoskar I once had the opposite, it was a construct that the Imaskari tried to perfect by adding stolen divine energy, until it became a threat.

quote:
EDIT: I don't know enough about Sigil to get into details. I pretty-much only read-through the boxed set. I owned all the rest, but never opened the other boxes (seriously... they were still shrink-wrapped when the house burned).

It's not a question about Sigil, but what kind of place would the Imaskari build, for example would they consider torus to be the ideal shape? who would clean the streets? would temples be allowed? would they restrict fiendish immigration with a mythal? etc.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  21:20:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha.

Towers, of course. In my homebrew material, the architecture of Thaeravel was very similar to that of the late Imaskar period (except Thaeravelites didn't have access to purple sandstone the Imaskari did, so they built theirs out of a similar Alabaster substance). The towers would be topped with those weird, eastern (Russian?) minarets. Also a lot of statuary, a'la ancient greece.

Instead of temples to gods, they would have schools of thought, dedicated to different philosophies and run by Sages. Like Athenians, they would be very big on learning (similar to Halruaa), with an advanced public school system that helped select a child's future calling, and colleges of magic and artificery, etc. Classes on the 'care and treatment of bonded servants' (slaves - they would be smart enough to take good care of their 'property').

Culturally, similar to Ancient Rome. You'd have the aristocracy (the true Imaskari people), citizens, non-citizens but members of the Empire who would have some rights, barbarians, and slaves. anyone not part of the Imaskari Empire but also not a slave would be considered a 'barbarian'. See this site for some ideas.

Found some interesting images when I googled 'minarets'.

The architecture would in-general be conducive to their home geography, so large, sprawling structures, with interior courtyards and lot of 'hanging gardens'. Middle class would probably have silk over their windows, rather then glass, so they could enjoy the climate (which was nice, before it turned to desert). The upper classes would probably use magic instead - some sort of spell to keep out solid objects (like birds, bugs, rocks, etc), but still allow air to pass through. Probably a re-worked version of a stone skin (Stone Portal?)

I see people flying about, on carpets or brooms, or just by themselves. This means there would be many balconies to receive guests on upper levels, so the city might be designed with private quarters below, and living area above (it might be considered 'low class' to approach from street-level). Djinn, inisible servants, and other sorts of outsiders running errands everywhere. Except for fiends - they'd probably put a ban on 'unleashed' fiends. Lots of non-human and non-Imaskari peoples milling about (VERY Metroplotian). Open-air markets and sidewalk cafe's... except the cafe's would be above street level to take advantage of the views (and get wealthy folk away from the smells below).

LOL - I could go on and on. You are asking a designer/carpenter/architect/fantasy fanatic. I used to do all my own blueprints - I could spend a lifetime designing a city specially built for magical folk.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2012 21:26:33
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  11:23:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These type of oriental towers do make sense for them, tough I don't like them that much aesthetically. So I think a style that appears ancient, antediluvian, weird, and modern at the same time, neo-atlantean? (alphatian) or something. I searched the pictures folder we use for the game, these are the best examples I could find:

architecture

and

pyramids and fey influence

these weird towers maybe somewhere

weird purple spires

more like Sigil, with spikes

artificer district, inspired by Mechanus

And He Built a Crooked House

house

artificer house

interior, columns, crystals, huge statues

interior example

more towers

city devices

for the high tech district

poor district

ruins architecture

ruins

Great ideas MT about the balconies and flying, and invisible servants. I got to think about spell ''skins'' that would shield a house.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:00:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main character of Darvision - Ususi - had an invisible servant, IIRC. It had a special name (type, not personal name), but I can't look that up anymore (and thinking about her, even subconsciously, is probably what made me think of them for the other Imaskari).

Is this for your Sigil-version? I think some of those are bit too scify for Toril-proper, but are just perfect for Sigil. Love the interior shots - just how I am picturing them.

Whereas I think 'gothic' for the Netherese (like the Necromungers), I think Persia-meets-Rome for the Imaskari, but on grander scale. I really like your ideas for artificers - I can use those for my homebrew College of Advanced Golemic Sciences.

This looks more Netherese, but I'm digging the Lighthouse (Gbor Nor was in the center of their Empire).
This lighthouse would probably be good for Bhaluin. Here's another.

I didn't mean to focus on lighthouses, but I was thinking, "what sort of city has that Grecco-Roman feeling, but also an Asian/Middle-Eastern one?" So I searched 'Alexandria', and all I keep getting is lighthouses LOL. Culturally, Alexander's Empire fits perfectly - a blend of east and west. 'Classic' Greece culture is better ascribed to the Netherese, with their independent citystate mentality (and completely different cultural attitudes within each enclave).

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 13:46:08
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:17:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Seleucid Empire pictures.

The Greek world was heavily influencing the "Persian" world for hundreds of years before and after this empire; which to me is the ideal model for the Imaskari.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:35:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - all I get are maps, some ancient art (Mosaics), and a few coins. The only pic I could find was This One, and it looks like an inadequately armored Tuigan stuck between an Imaskari and a Shou (like 'a rock and a hard place').

THIS GUY has some phenomenal reference material (not all applicable to this thread, however). You have to click on 'Architectural sketches' to the left - although his regular gallery has interesting stuff as well, his architectural pictures are the bomb (some of his other stuff could even be used as fey-inspired Imskari art).

You want to see some real-world magic? Check out this guy - his memory and talent make me feel like a Neaderthal. I know it doesn't have much to do with the topic, but this thread made me think of him, and I haven't watched that video in awhile. It almost makes me weep tears of joy.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 13:50:28
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  16:49:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sogdians are another good resource...you can get more from google on them...

Try various places related to that culture. It had heavy influences in both Chinese and Persian.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  08:27:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, those sci-fi pics are also for the city, there will be wards with weaker magic, and higher level technology, from steampunk to the far future (no magic in that area). Still the main area, the Cage, will be almost like before. I'm tired of the medieval, my pc in the Kingmaker campaign now is an inventor, and that kind of world is too restrictive (and the DM ).

I had a perfect picture of the Lighthouse, but can't find it anywhere. Helenistic shapes do suit the Imaskari, I agree, more than any other. The Pergamon altar, Mausoleum, Colossus of Rhodes along with the Pharos. Just not going with that style with this city. I used to have Telchines of Rhodos in Chessenta, who were also artificers. There will be quarters where one type of culture is dominant, usually near a permanent portal to a divine realm. Persians I think will be near the Grand Bazaar (the name comes from their language) picture 2 3.

Gothic could work for the Netherese, tough I think the roofs should be flat, a bunch of pointy spires together like in Sharn look ridiculous imo. Found this for Shade, not realy gothic, maybe this during the spelljamming era. And for the Alabaster Towers, between weird classic Imaskari and gothic Netherese.

Edited by - Quale on 21 Jul 2012 08:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  14:01:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pointy Roofs for Netherese work for me - Anauroch wasn't always desert, and some of their Empire was pretty far north (extending into modern-day Hartsvale). Obviously both empires would have widely varied architecture, given how long both were around. Especially the Netherese, with their very different enclaves.

If the Netherese had built a piece of sigil (they may have, if different cultures get to contribute districts), then I would go with something similar to Dark City - the 'Strangers' just scream Shades to me. In fact, you could go with the entire Dark Ciy premise for Sigil (ever shifting, and the inhabitants don't recall it looking different... once again, sorta like Ravenloft). It would be cool to run an adventure where the PCs were immune to the effect, and wondered what the hell was going on.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 14:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  21:31:19  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

These type of oriental towers do make sense for them, tough I don't like them that much aesthetically. So I think a style that appears ancient, antediluvian, weird, and modern at the same time, neo-atlantean? (alphatian) or something.
I like the idea that the Imaskari architecture looks modern in design (lots of twisted towers with buildings and roads on bridges), but don't go overboard with that. I think having most of the structures the Imaskari could have built in Sigil be in varying degrees of decay (they're all a couple of thousand years old at least) would add to the antediluvian atmosphere. Busted everburning lights flicker as they rythmicly illuminate cracked mortar walls with embossed marble plaques showing ancient workshops... and haunting sounds buzz, pop and sizzle constantly in the backgrounds.

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I searched the pictures folder we use for the game, these are the best examples I could find:

architecture
Those broad road-carrying bridges I particularly like in this vista.

quote:

and
A bit too oriental, but a good street or lowerlevel view of an Imaskarian Sigil Bazaar.

quote:

pyramids and fey influence
I love this one! I'd replace the pyramids with the buildings in the latter pictures.

quote:

these weird towers maybe somewhere
I'd place these in Deep Imascar itself, perhaps as massive waste, water and sewage factories at the towns edges.

quote:

weird purple spires
I love the transparancy... makes them looks extradimensional. Great picture. Notice the slightly illuminated internal tubes. They could be some transportation system / elevator.

quote:

more like Sigil, with spikes
Awesome, perhaps this is one an imaskari "spoke" of the wheel in Sigil that links, through the centerpoint of Sigil all the way to the other side.

quote:

artificer district, inspired by Mechanus
This is perhaps a good example of those dualdimensianal districts in Sigil, where a world is ethereally copied onto Sigil, this time Mechanus.

quote:

And He Built a Crooked House
Don't know, feels too scify and too Halruan both, weird.

quote:

house
This ones great aswell. Seems particularly impenetrable, perhaps its a prison or it has a more military function.

quote:

artificer house
I'd use this design but make it more decrepid, and add more utilitarian artifacts.

quote:

interior, columns, crystals, huge statues
Again, I love those extremely elevated walkways.

quote:

interior example
This ones spot on, IMHO.

quote:

more towers
I think its a tad too gothic, but I like the 'state of decay' to the streets in this one.

quote:

city devices
Awesome idea those gondels. Got to add these in my Mulhorandi cities aswell.

quote:

for the high tech district
Well its high tech allright. Perhaps this device powers their artifical sun / daylight device?

quote:

poor district
Love the massive accordeon like organ providing background music (perhaps Schubert like)

quote:

ruins architecture
Again, great sense of age in this one. I particularly like the islamic-like patterns one the walls.

quote:

ruins
Perfect. This is what a cool dungeon entrance would look like.

So a mix of the blocky roman like buildings (commoner and worker districts) with islamic twisted towers (arcane and upperclass districts) seems to speak Imascari to me.

Couple of further examples:
Inn room window view

Fey influenced "industrial area"

Fey/Oriental hanging gardens

I'd make certain parts surprisingly verdant for a city, with all sorts of adapted fauna; like "city" birds of prey, mountain lions and mecha-insect swarms. They'd forage between the hanging gardens and plazas with fountains...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 21 Jul 2012 21:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  23:44:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really lovin' that last one, Bladewind - exactly like I picture it.

I got the perfect example of neo-Atantean...... Dubai!!!!

Check This out - bizarre, huh? And This, and This. I think we found your Imaskari.

Just Google Dubai and look at Images - there are hundreds of them.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 23:44:59
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  15:56:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the Netherese had built a piece of sigil (they may have, if different cultures get to contribute districts), then I would go with something similar to Dark City - the 'Strangers' just scream Shades to me. In fact, you could go with the entire Dark Ciy premise for Sigil (ever shifting, and the inhabitants don't recall it looking different... once again, sorta like Ravenloft). It would be cool to run an adventure where the PCs were immune to the effect, and wondered what the hell was going on.

There are creatures in PS that look like them, the keepers, 4e already
used that idea for the city of Gloomwrought (sp?) in the Shadowfell. One of the reasons I'm going with this different version of Sigil is to have less gloomy atmosphere, no acid rain, or spikes, and with trees. Could be cool tough if the keepers move to the Undercity.

As for Dubai, I meant the high tech ward to be closed, almost like living in a machine, so the glass towers don't fit. Look kitsch as well (excluding the hotel).

Edited by - Quale on 23 Jul 2012 15:57:22
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  15:59:56  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I like the idea that the Imaskari architecture looks modern in design (lots of twisted towers with buildings and roads on bridges), but don't go overboard with that. I think having most of the structures the Imaskari could have built in Sigil be in varying degrees of decay (they're all a couple of thousand years old at least) would add to the antediluvian atmosphere. Busted everburning lights flicker as they rythmicly illuminate cracked mortar walls with embossed marble plaques showing ancient workshops... and haunting sounds buzz, pop and sizzle constantly in the backgrounds.

Thanks for your comments. About the decay, I think an Imaskari structure would be considered most valuable by the dabus (or whoever I decide takes their job), they would be first on the list of repairs, like a landmark. There would be some ruins, just to give the Doomguard something to talk about, that not even this city is eternal.

quote:

Couple of further examples:
Inn room window view

Fey influenced "industrial area"

Fey/Oriental hanging gardens

I'd make certain parts surprisingly verdant for a city, with all sorts of adapted fauna; like "city" birds of prey, mountain lions and mecha-insect swarms. They'd forage between the hanging gardens and plazas with fountains...

I meant to post that second picture, but it did not look so densely populated. There will large ''park'' areas cause I imagine the Verdant Guild will have faction-like importance, backed by the fey influence. Mecha-insect swarms is a wonderful idea, there could be an infestation in the Hive, that ward will be under an industrial revolution.

Edited by - Quale on 23 Jul 2012 16:01:25
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  18:39:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the hotel could go in Imaskar itself, its so laid-back (compared to all the rest). That was a last-minute add - originally I was going to post the pic of the sailboat-looking hotel, but decided that's the one everyone is most familiar with already (along with those man-made islands), and I wanted to show some other interesting sights.

As for that second picture Bladewind posted - those 'trees' look like what would be left had the humans 'won' in Avatar. In other words, that area may have looked like the Avatar world (Pandora) once, but that is what it looks like after a few centuries of industrialization.

Are you going for a 'grunge' feel? Or all neat-and-pretty a'la ST:tOS? Nevermind, you already stated you were taking the darkness out.

On another note, I will be following this thread and stealing from it unashamedly for my re-worked Halruaa (which is now a chain 5 islands). My Halruaa is an Imaskari survivor, NOT a Netherese one, and fairly isolationist (non-Halruaans are only allowed to dock at one city, and kept confined to a specific area). However, they have no problem violating everyone else's 'airspace'.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jul 2012 18:43:51
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  23:03:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to include a lot of magic technology in the background, just like in Halruaa. Need to check all the 0 and 1st (too high?) level spells, there should be at least a few dozen of them usable for noncombat purposes, for normal life.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  08:06:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked for more stuff to include in the city, how about this for an artificer tower?
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  23:04:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that tower being deposited by a huge Airship above? And are those huge orbs, they seem to be lifting the tower-chain from the waters...

So awesome to think about how magi-industrial construction vehicles would look like. The Imaskari could have build the flying metallic orbs seen in that picture. Giving Orb Golems telekinesis and levitation powers in conjuntion with complex building orders would create a tireless workforce that costs no resources beside their initial building. Most can probably work for a couple more thousand years afore they've slowly deterioted to inoperative status.

I'd think some of these workforce golems could see more use in everyday Fearun aswell, perhaps as prized possessions of masonry and (road)construction guilds. I'd think of all fearunian races the Raumathori might are most likely to have used Iron Golems for labor, and some might still be in working order. They'd fetch good prices for sure.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  04:04:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had conjectured (somewhere, at least once) that the Modron were an Imaskari creation that 'got away from them'. That probably doesn't jibe well with canon, though (I don't know anything about Modron history, or even if there is any). Basically, that would explain why their plane changed from Nirvania to Mechanus - the Modrons took it over.

Anyhow, what Bladewind was just saying about those giant spherical 'golems' got me thinking of that again.

Given their penchant for tampering with Elder evils and inhuman sentiences, perhaps the Imaskari attempted to create an artificial Intelligence of their own - something to run the automaton portion of their empire and keep everything running. Then it 'went mad' (scenario taken from dozens of books/movies) and decided humans were inferior and it could build a better world for itself and its kind (the machines).

And now I havn't Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine running through my head.

You know, I have listened to that song in years. Watching that video made me realize how easy it would be to marry the Matrix franchise to the Terminator one (John Connor eventually loses). Hell, if aliens can fight predators and Freddie can fight Jason, anything s possible.

*grammatical edit

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2012 17:49:05
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  10:45:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is that tower being deposited by a huge Airship above? And are those huge orbs, they seem to be lifting the tower-chain from the waters...

Yea, probably there was a high demand for wizardly towers during their era, not impossible that one of the artificers automated the construction process.
quote:

So awesome to think about how magi-industrial construction vehicles would look like. The Imaskari could have build the flying metallic orbs seen in that picture. Giving Orb Golems telekinesis and levitation powers in conjuntion with complex building orders would create a tireless workforce that costs no resources beside their initial building. Most can probably work for a couple more thousand years afore they've slowly deterioted to inoperative status.

I think several versions of levitation spells, those with telekinesis would be expensive. Other possible spells, sound-based levitation, rays of acid and force (to cut and shape the material), soften earth and stone spell with temporary duration etc. At first glance I thought they tried to outdo Netherese ioun stones. Orb golem is a good idea. They could be powered by bound gear spirits from Mechanus.
quote:
I'd think some of these workforce golems could see more use in everyday Fearun aswell, perhaps as prized possessions of masonry and (road)construction guilds. I'd think of all fearunian races the Raumathori might are most likely to have used Iron Golems for labor, and some might still be in working order. They'd fetch good prices for sure.

I'd definitely want to see such things in everyday Faerun, or for those Halruaan blast spheres if it's too high magic.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  10:53:59  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had conjectured (somewhere, at least once) that the Modron were an Imaskari creation that 'got away from them'. That probably doesn't jibe well with canon, though (I don't know anything about Modron history, or even if there is any). Basically, that would explain why their plane changed from Nirvania to Mechanus - the Modrons took it over.

There isn't much about modrons, only theories that they are old as the plane and descended from insectile intelligences. It appears though that ten thousand years ago they weren't the dominant race, only after the aphanacts (described as angelic creatures that crusaded to other planes) were defeated by the gods, modrons and inevitables gained most power in Mechanus. In 3e the plane was called Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, not sure if it was originally just Nirvana. Inevitables are Indian in style, maybe that's their part of the name, modrons have latin Primus, Secundi etc., Mechanus sounds mostly Greek. Would be cool if Tvashtri was an Imaskari artificer, and he made the inevitables as the city's army, and there would be secret creche-forges beneath the Great Foundry (Godsmen HQ) in Sigil.

quote:
Given their penchant for tampering with Elder evils and inhuman sentiences, perhaps the Imaskari attempted to create an artificial Intelligence of their own - something to run the automaton portion of their empire and keep everything running. Then it 'went mad' (scenario taken from dozens of books/movies) and decided humans were inferior and it could build a better world for itself and its kind (the machines).

That's a classic theme, used probably too often, I was thinking of about a synthesis of organic and mechanic elements in their society, there would be a variety of combinations, from almost perfected (take the axiomites from Pathfinder for an example, they could replace the dabus) to really mad (e.g. the Consult from Prince of Nothing novels, a cabal of magi that use the abominable Tekne ''magic''). I have plans for two such factions, called the Alienists and the Expansionists.

quote:

You know, I have listened to that song in years. Watching that video made me realize how easy it would be to marry the Matrix franchise to the Terminator one (John Connor eventually loses). Hell, if aliens can fight predators and Freddie can fight Jason, anything s possible.

It's possible, particularly with time travel, tough it would be a bit difficult to combine Skynet's origins with that city in the Arabic desert from Animatrix. And the AI's from Matrix seem more human-like, remember that Indian guy from the train station when he explains love, terminators aren't that advanced.

Edited by - Quale on 08 Aug 2012 10:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  18:03:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never saw Animatrix, only the mainstream movies. I just happen to randomly find that video while looking for that song.

I picture the Matrix being FAR into the future, well after John Connor is killed. The humans tried once-again to eliminate all the machines by mucking-with the atmosphere, and that what created the situation where Skynet/The Matrix needed humans for their energy. By that time, the machines had evolved into something much more.

Of course, it all goes horribly wrong and the world is destroyed anyway, and the few survivors have to use a rag-tag fleet to go and colonize thirteen other worlds...

Hal waves to them as they pass by.

Boy did I go way off topic - sorry.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2012 18:05:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  02:56:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never saw Animatrix, only the mainstream movies. I just happen to randomly find that video while looking for that song.
It's really just an anthology series of short animated films that delve -- somewhat -- into the mythos of the Matrix universe. There's an awesome short about the rise of the machines and the nature of artifical intelligence [which you might find somewhat useful], and it's really the best piece of the film, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000