Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Live! Updates from Gencon 2012
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  06:15:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I very much like what I'm hearing so far. I'm definitely keen on learning more about the Sundering -- whether it's an RSE or not really doesn't matter to me. I just want to see what comes after it as a result of it's impact on the 5e Realms.

It's my understanding that , yes the two worlds that collided are being separated.

And it's going to be a huge RSE, which will address the spellplague, missing gods , etc etc.....with the intent of faerun being a place for the gm/em/ Players to do the heavy lifting and the novels to tell small in scope, character driven stories.

So one last RSE to set the table (set things right or whatever metaphor you are comfortable with)

Maybe I will recall more after I get 4 hours sleep until I get up for work!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Aug 2012 06:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  06:19:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  06:21:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just occurred to me that all the gods that are missing could have been trapped on Abeir, much like how parts of it were transplanted in Faerun, parts of Faerun goes there...maybe it works that way with deities too.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  06:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Releasing backlist online. All productts ever produced.

I would like this now, including all settings. If this means what I think it does, I will be a very happy person indeed!

I still hope fora a1372-1374 Far Lands sourcebook. I want to know Maztica (before it died/split off), the Hordelands (as in one of the final issues of Dragon through the Spellplague and beyond), Zakkhara (and different magic traditions being supported will work with this part of the setting, YAY!) and something for the other Lands (Eastern realms and Kara-Tur.

I would love to see a FULL World Map of the Realms both before AND after the Spellplague. Think along the lines of the Golarion map that's roughly 3 feet by 5 feet. I want that. I could even argue for one for each of the "regions, so you'd end up with a map roughly 15 feet long by six feet high. That would be very, very cool, and I have just the wall to put it on.

For the "new" realms, I want to know more before I buy. The spellplague was THE thing that tore me away, along with, despite my hatred of Drow, the Lolth eating/destroying the drow pantheon. I liked the depth it gave to (for me) an otherwise very bland race. The Elminster and Driz'zt things didn't bother me. The destruction of pantheons really made me sad.

I hope some of what I hope for is "fixed" in some manner.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  06:30:20  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watching the video from the conference. I have to say that Ed has an amazing voice. Someone should hire him for some voice over work.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  07:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official news:

No retcons, no reboots.

Gods are coming back.

The worlds are coming apart again.

The Spellplague is being solved.

Lore support for multiple eras is on the table.

Questions?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  07:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Official news:

No retcons, no reboots.

Gods are coming back.

Questions?

Cheers

I like everything here.

My only real question is if new lore for each era is coming or if the re-release of previous edition information will be the support provided?

Still hoping for far lands here as well as an updated or re-released interactive atlas.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 17 Aug 2012 07:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  07:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say for sure. Maybe?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:03:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Official news:

No retcons, no reboots.

Gods are coming back.

Questions?
Just one...

Can you switch places with me?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:04:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you hint which gods? REALLY interested in this- for obvious reasons.... And is that what they mean by the Sundering?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:12:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... damn. George's question "What is it you want from WotC now?" got me all fired up for a minute, but then I watched the video (thanks for the link, Jeremy, I probably wouldn't have thought to go looking for it until after GenCon was over otherwise) and *sigh* Mike kinda took the steam outta my rant. I hate when that happens. But the upside is that it kinda sounds like they actually "get it". Several times I found myself saying "ooh. that's a pretty cool idea." And as everybody who's ever read anything I've posted probably knows, I haven't exactly been WotC's biggest fan lately. The 4e treatment of the Realms was the bubonic plague of ideas, as far as I'm concerned. But the presentation might even have degrognardified me to the point of saying it'll be cool to see what happens Next. I think that was Mike Mearls' sinister plan all along. He was looking straight at me...

I do still have this to say, from my previously-planned post.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm planning on building a car. One that's going to make people go "Wow! I want one!".

I'm looking forward to driving the Krashmobile!
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  09:05:31  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's my understanding that , yes the two worlds that collided are being separated.

Good. Hopefully they'll take their goofy Returned Abeir, Akanul, and Tymanther with them and give us back Maztica, Unther, and Mulhorand while they'r at it.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  09:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The vintage car market is a small one. And the repair and maintenance costs are murder.

-- George Krashos

Lol, I think that we have pushed the car metaphor as far as if can go.

I forsaw the return of Ao ever since the talk of 5e began. Short of a full retcon it was the only real way to put the major things right (can't see any other realistic way to separate the two worlds).
I'm liking what I'm hearing from the speeches for the most. Seems that some of our moaning was listened to!

Edited by - Arcanus on 17 Aug 2012 09:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  09:09:16  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Realms will bring you more characters to get to know and fall in love with. It might even bring a few loved individuals back. Who it is exactly that you pine for?

-- George Krashos

Scyllua Darkhope
The Pereghost (As a Bainite)
The Seven Sisters (The ones that were killed off, anyway)
Mystra
Helm
Eilistraee
Vhaeraun
Myrkul
Bhaal
Mask
Lathander (Separate from Amaunator, not replacing him)
Talos

That's off the top of my head...

quote:
Fair enough. So, you have 20+ years of FR gaming products and novels to enjoy set in the 1354-1372 DR range. What is it you want from WotC now?

-- George Krashos

Honestly, you should know better than this, as you're practically begging for a fight here. After four years and likely THOUSANDS of posts you should know full well by now what critics of the 4E Forgotten Realms want.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."

Edited by - Venger on 17 Aug 2012 09:30:09
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:15:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Can you hint which gods? REALLY interested in this- for obvious reasons.... And is that what they mean by the Sundering?

Only ones mentioned by name are the ones we kinda know already, Mystra and Helm.

Ed said they are just at the beginning of this, like a meeting yesterday (and more this week)hammering out not only the Sundering, but what comes next.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:20:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sourcebooks and adventures - edition and time neutral

You can run your game in 1480 or back in the crown wars, all new stuff won't pigeonhole you into a tight spot.

Also maybe, most likely authors will be able to write a novel set in any time. It was mentioned that they realized certain authors would most likey not return to the realms unless they could use there characters.......who are now long dead. So it's possible (they did not It say it would happen, just possible) to see a new Alias novel by Jeff Grubb or Jim Lowder could pick up right after The Ring of Winter.......the novel possibilities are wide open. Even prequels are possible

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Aug 2012 17:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:33:05  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Official news:

No retcons, no reboots.

Gods are coming back.

Questions?

Cheers

Well, given all of that it seems that I won't be joining along on the future of this train ride.

Retaining everything from 4E and putting new paint on the barn is a complete deal-breaker for me. It's an insufficient and rather sad solution IMO.

Good luck with this, whatever it turns out to be. But the Realms I loved is well and truly dead. Too many radical changes to the core, too many unpalatable additions, and all of them will be solidified into the timeline. It's a sad and unfortunate thing to see. I understand it, and the reasons why, but it's not for me.

Be well and safe, everyone. I wish you well, in whatever worlds you traverse.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:35:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe i got the wrong end of the stick when i read that worlds are separating and gods are returning but it reminds me ever so slightly of what happened to the Dragonlance setting with the world and all its inhabitants getting hidden from the gods as a plaything of Takhisis, and then they killed her off and brought all the gods back.
Not sure how successful that idea was (i hope they dont try it here), take the Realms back to how it used to be with oodles and oodles of lore, lots of interesting places and people and little easter eggs and hidden gems that you could string together and hope to make something that resembled Ed's dream of what the Realms should be.

I already use all lore (pre 4th edition) mostly 2nd edition with 3.75 rules so none of the 5E ideas seem all that radical (and please no more realms shattering events), i just want more lore on people and places from the beginning of Realms time to the end of Realms time (pretending that the spell plague never happened in the first place and the Realms history/future continued to evolve naturally rather than forcefully)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm feeling much the same way, Therise.

Still, there's no harm in hoping, and even if it continues the train wreck that is 4e, there'll still be Candlekeep, and Ask Ed, and things like that.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:52:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, am reserving judgement until I have more information. Right now, I feel like I've got less than what you'd get from a movie trailer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there was one definitive thing that we learned from the keynote, and that serious bums me out: no Elaine Cunningham!

No women at all, actually, which is sadly par for the course in RPG's, but when you've got such a great author who's been part of the setting longer than practically anyone, why not bring her in?

I'm afraid my first response to seeing Troy Denning's name was "Oh no, not him again," quickly followed by, "Why no EC?"

Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:06:31  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it the new FR logo?

http://pl.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/328881758

0:42:52
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Well, there was one definitive thing that we learned from the keynote, and that serious bums me out: no Elaine Cunningham!

No women at all, actually, which is sadly par for the course in RPG's, but when you've got such a great author who's been part of the setting longer than practically anyone, why not bring her in?

I'm afraid my first response to seeing Troy Denning's name was "Oh no, not him again," quickly followed by, "Why no EC?"

Much as I love Elaine's work, I have it on good authority that Erin M. Evans is most certainly a woman...
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:10:12  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure that Erin Evans has lady parts.

But yeah, not fond of Troy Denning's work myself, or RL Byers. Elaine Cunningham would have been golden.

Not real happy with the official news overall.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 17 Aug 2012 13:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fault. I missed Erin's name. Good to know they at least have one woman in the mix. Did they feature her in the author video? If so, I really must have blanked out.

Still doesn't change the fact that Elaine isn't taking part. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:39:52  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My fault. I missed Erin's name. Good to know they at least have one woman in the mix. Did they feature her in the author video? If so, I really must have blanked out.

Still doesn't change the fact that Elaine isn't taking part. Sigh.

Yep, Erin was in the author list, and she was also in the audience. She stood and waved when she was mentioned.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:47:03  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 years more of playtesting? Frankly, I'm only interested in the novels and the lorebooks for 5th ed FR, but 2 years time is a bit excessive... I was pretty sure that the 5th edition will be released next summer.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  13:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No EC!?

Big minus there.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  14:16:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I, personally, am reserving judgement until I have more information. Right now, I feel like I've got less than what you'd get from a movie trailer.

Listening to Ed, it's really more like we are being allowed to "sit in" on the conversations that decide what goes into the trailer.

Ed stressed how early into this they are, he said they are just beginning and in fact a meeting earlier at GenCon more decisions were discussed, but in no way is the whole outline done.

And for those worried about the 2 year wait. I cant blame you, but here is why we were told it was going down like that...in my own words of course..

They do not want to make a huge mistake with this They want the rules easy and fluid. Not holding you back in anyway. I took the impression that there will be books and adventures coming before the rules, because all new things are striving to be time/edition neutral.

Just to restate....we we told that Realms design now goes through Ed....myself, thats all I ever wanted and could hope for.
If this hold to form I can wait 2 years...hell I can wait 5. 2 years seems excessive, but the novels from 10-15 years ago still feel so close, 2 years is nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  14:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms design going through Ed is great. I'm just worried that even he can't salvage the mess 4e made of things. If they'd done it back at the tail end of 3e, we might never have gotten into this place to begin with. This may be "too little, too late."

We'll see. They've at least got me watching closely, and hoping. That's more than ever happened in 4e.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000