Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Live! Updates from Gencon 2012
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  01:46:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms will bring you more characters to get to know and fall in love with. It might even bring a few loved individuals back. Who it is exactly that you pine for?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  01:48:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The James brothers have arrived at th Candlkeep seminar

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  01:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one settle for 'buy our novels', please? Ask to know what changes are happening!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I don't want new characters to fall in love with. I've got (twenty plus years) of them already. That's the Realms for me. That's what I came to, that's what I'm still posting here about all these years later. I don't mind normal attrition (ie: Azoun) as a setting slowly advances, I like getting additional characters to enjoy (ie: Tzigone, Liriel), but the base has to be there. The Realms has to be there.

4e isn't the Realms. Full stop. They blew up the Realms, and killed its people. And the fact that there is this place that still bears the name, and there are people wandering around in it, doesn't make it the Realms. It might be a perfectly good setting (though we all know it isn't), but even if it was miraculous, it isn't the Realms. And that's the whole point.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:01:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. So, you have 20+ years of FR gaming products and novels to enjoy set in the 1354-1372 DR range. What is it you want from WotC now?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:07:15  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Fair enough. So, you have 20+ years of FR gaming products and novels to enjoy set in the 1354-1372 DR range. What is it you want from WotC now?

-- George Krashos

Hear, hear!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I want, and wanted, was for them to support the setting as they had, as it was, not destroy it. They opted for destroying it. And I haven't given them any money as a result, not novels and not game books. I don't need new material, but it sure was nice back when they were actually releasing things in the Realms. I may not have used all of it, but it almost always got me thinking.

The lead up to this seemed to imply that they understood that they'd made a mistake with 4e (and, to be truthful, we did hear some of that in the keynote). It was probably too much to hope for that we would see a resurrection of the Realms 4e killed off, but that's the only thing that could get me buying game products and novels again. And it sure would be nice if the Realms lived again.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Releasing backlist online. All productts ever produced.

Can someone clarify this for me? I was trying to watch on my phone as I am without internet or laptop at present and the signal was in and out.
Are they reprinting the old stuff, making it available as a pdf, or something like that?

So far, liking what I'm seeing!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:15:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric thank you for the updates.

I like that they are releasing the back catalog most of all.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:16:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know they have the fullest intention of making the Realms live again. In the chat I had with WotC two weeks ago, I pointed out to them that in my view, one of the reasons 4E was unsuccesful was a lack of product support and follow-up. I saw James Wyatt scribbling furiously as I pontificated.

It's all going to start with the 5E Campaign Setting book. If it's a 300 page behemoth in mouse print with a ton of places, people and realmslore giving people information overload and players and DMs lots of campaign ideas and options, then I think the Realms will live again.

IMO D&D has moved on from the days of a graph pad, dice and a cardboard screen. People don't have the time/inclination to create their own homebrew world from scratch. They want a big, shiny new car where their choices are what window tint, colour and floor mats to buy. The car is "as is". Where the 4E Realms failed was that it gave you three boxes full of car parts and asked you to build it yourself. Most people passed.

This time, if I have anything to do with it - and I'll do it for nothing - I'm planning on building a car. One that's going to make people go "Wow! I want one!".

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:17:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Realms will bring you more characters to get to know and fall in love with. It might even bring a few loved individuals back. Who it is exactly that you pine for?

-- George Krashos

I can get on board with reading new stories about new characters, but I also want some flavor of the past back. As far as characters are concerned, -since you ask- the mortals that are on top of my -wants to see back- list (and that wouldn't need excessive artifice to be brought back) are Liriel, Arilyn and Danilo, and Elaith. About deities, I'd like Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Mask (and obviously Mystra) to be back in canon again.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 17 Aug 2012 02:20:57
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:19:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I want to say is the design of the realms now goes through Ed......what more,could we all ask for? I,can know go home knowing the Realms have not seen their best days, and I am happy.

I will keep the other changes to others who can explain best.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One positive thing was Mike Mearls's 'I've seen a lot of things done with, or done to, the Forgotten Realms that I haven't necessarily been thrilled with.' Wizards has rarely spoken of the Realms as something in its own right to which things are done, rather than equating it to whatever they chance to publish.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know they have the fullest intention of making the Realms live again. In the chat I had with WotC two weeks ago, I pointed out to them that in my view, one of the reasons 4E was unsuccesful was a lack of product support and follow-up. I saw James Wyatt scribbling furiously as I pontificated.

It's all going to start with the 5E Campaign Setting book. If it's a 300 page behemoth in mouse print with a ton of places, people and realmslore giving people information overload and players and DMs lots of campaign ideas and options, then I think the Realms will live again.

IMO D&D has moved on from the days of a graph pad, dice and a cardboard screen. People don't have the time/inclination to create their own homebrew world from scratch. They want a big, shiny new car where their choices are what window tint, colour and floor mats to buy. The car is "as is". Where the 4E Realms failed was that it gave you three boxes full of car parts and asked you to build it yourself. Most people passed.

This time, if I have anything to do with it - and I'll do it for nothing - I'm planning on building a car. One that's going to make people go "Wow! I want one!".

-- George Krashos

George
I think that the majority of people would rather a restored classic vintage model rather than a brand new model.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

More adventures and books in that era? A book detailing Cormyr after the Goblin War would be nice. Or a book detailing the Faiths of the Realms, focusing on the church's and religions rather then the gods.

Pretty sure we mentioned these sorts of things years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer: that was great to hear, wasn't it?

George: I understand what you're saying, but I think you're not getting my point. We already had a car. Not the best car we could have had, the back set was a little vague, and no one could entirely agree what the windows looked like, but we had a car and by and large it was really good. And then they blew it up.

Now they (and you, in your last post) seem to be saying, "Well, yes, there's all this wreckage, but we'll start building again, and welding, and there's some more sheet metal over here, and we'll get a car again eventually." Except it isn't the same car.

My grand dream (which I always knew was a long shot) was that they would instead say, "Well, maybe that C4 under the hood wasn't the greatest idea. But we're wizards, so let's skip back just a bit, take that C4 out, and now we can go driving again."

That would have gotten me excited again. This... just seems like a different car. And it might be an ok car... but it's not the car they blew up.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

-- George Krashos

I can get on board with reading new stories about new characters, but I also want some flavor of the past back. As far as characters are concerned, -since you ask- the mortals that are on top of my -wants to see back- list (and that wouldn't need excessive artifice to be brought back) are Liriel, Arilyn and Danilo, and Elaith. About deities, I'd like Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Mask (and obviously Mystra) to be back in canon again.

Seconded. I'd like to see the stories for the biggest Realms names at least brought to a, "and he lived peacefully to the end of his days" kind of end. I can most certainly get into "new" characters.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:34:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty much OK with them making new characters for us to love, especially if they are going to give the campaign setting the special treatment and love they mentioned. Detailing the setting on an unprecedented level makes it sound like were going to get a 600 page campaign guide or many detailed products. I imagine they can cram quite a bit of detail into a book if half of it isn't devoted to mechanics.

I like change and developing history of the setting. Good example would be Cormyr, I think I like the darker 4E version than the previous, much more interesting and gives players something to fight for. Personally, I'm hoping with Realms 5E we see a new Azoun descendant, like the old king in his younger years fighting to save his country. Combine that with them opening PDF copies of every product ever created, we're covering all the eras and the for better or worse evolution of the Realms. Personally, I can't wait to load my iPad up with some out of print stuff. Definitely, digging how the results of adventures they release will become canon. That has the potential to be very interesting and make the Realms feel more dynamic.

Someone dig up all the old Living City Forgotten Realms modules and put them up for sale or freebie! Those had nuggets of Realmslore many of us have never seen. Like the drow city of Nar'Vheen and that duergar city of Grunthorigard.

Anyone at the Con please let us know about anymore Realms specific stuff that happens! I'm really curious if they'll let slip any further info on what direction they're taking the Realms. :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:40:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow they're going to hold the ''what's the Sundering'' seminar. I guess we'll get more info after it-

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  02:48:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vintage car market is a small one. And the repair and maintenance costs are murder.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 17 Aug 2012 02:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:15:02  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My take on the car analogy: New cars are fine, but I would prefer a new car that took some of the better elements of the vintage car (design elements, aim towards quality) but streamlined and modernized for today's audience. Rather what we got was some obtuse, inefficient monstrosity touted under the same branding, all boom and flash but with an anemic engine and inferior components.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:17:21  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The vintage car market is a small one. And the repair and maintenance costs are murder.

-- George Krashos

That's what they said about 3.5 going into 4E. Last I checked, Pathfinder's 3.75 is outselling Wizards' flavor of the month. I'll wager that if Paizo was given the ability to reboot the OGB, the same would be true.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:20:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is here edjucating us all.....

The sundering is the moving apart of the two worlds......wow....endless possibilities.

And AO is back.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:25:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

My take on the car analogy: New cars are fine, but I would prefer a new car that took some of the better elements of the vintage car (design elements, aim towards quality) but streamlined and modernized for today's audience. Rather what we got was some obtuse, inefficient monstrosity touted under the same branding, all boom and flash but with an anemic engine and inferior components.

I think that's exactly what WotC should do.

@WalkerNinja: They said 4E wasn't a success. And there's a difference between rules and setting. Still, I'm not sure whether Paizo sells more 3.75E than WotC sells 4E. Similarly, does Golarion measure up and outsell FR in its 2E/3E incarnations when they released product volume? Don't know the answer to either of those questions. But would guess that the answer is that Paizo doesn't/didn't outstrip WotC on either score.

And you know what? Who cares. I'm looking at the 5E Realms - whatever incarnation it takes. I want it to be better than all the other previous editions. As with all such creative endeavours, one man's gold is another man's crud.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:35:18  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

The sundering is the moving apart of the two worlds......wow....endless possibilities.

And AO is back.

Sounds like a parent that turned their back on their kids for just a minute, and looked back at the absolutely insane mess they made.

"I can't turn my back on you kids for even a minute before you start tearing up the place! Go to your rooms and think about what you've done while I clean this place up!"

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:42:15  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm looking at the 5E Realms - whatever incarnation it takes. I want it to be better than all the other previous editions.

As always, despite my opinions on their past offerings and my reservations on this current effort, I'm hoping for this as well.

quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

quote:

And AO is back.

Sounds like a parent that turned their back on their kids for just a minute, and looked back at the absolutely insane mess they made.

"I can't turn my back on you kids for even a minute before you start tearing up the place! Go to your rooms and think about what you've done while I clean this place up!"

Well, Ed did say he was batting clean up with The Herald.

Plus we can't go wrong with Elminster back to wearing the classic pointy wizard's hat.

By the way, mentioned this on the other thread, but the conversation slipped past it. Perhaps scribes here were more observant.

Did anyone notice the two logos they put up on the slide.

The Sundering logo was literally two worlds separating... or colliding.

The new (?) Forgotten Realms logo looked like a mash up of the 1e/2e era font typeface with the 3e era styling and flourishes?

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 17 Aug 2012 03:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And AO is back.

So, does that mean pre-Spellplague and post-Spellplague worlds are being separated?

I'm certainly hoping for more information to come out over the Gen-Con weekend. Cause so far there's not been much!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  03:59:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote #1: "I come from a small town where no one played DND ..."

Designer who shall remain nameless: "That's because we'd run out of virgins AND candles ..."

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  05:41:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much like what I'm hearing so far. I'm definitely keen on learning more about the Sundering -- whether it's an RSE or not really doesn't matter to me. I just want to see what comes after it as a result of it's impact on the 5e Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  05:43:35  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LINK to some video of the address twitch.tv.com.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000