Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lightning Rail and Other Public Transports
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:17:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I was fascinated by Eberron's Lightning Rail. I thought it's ingenious.

"The House Orien operated Lightning Rail is an international, magical train line connecting many of the major cities throughout Khorvaire. In many ways, the Lightning Rail resembles and functions like trains of the Old West, but instead of following along rails, the Lightning Rail follows a path of conductor stones. The conductor stones, magical creations of House Cannith, are placed along the ground forming a conduit of magical energy to allow the Lightning Rail to travel at high speeds across Khorvaire. The Lightning Rail itself is pushed along by an elemental bound to the Lightning Rail's coaches. The Lightning Rail is given its name because of the crackling energy created when an elemental-bound coach passes over a conductor stone."[Lightning Rail, Eberron Wiki]

Why don't we see this in the Realms? Faerun's mages are as brilliant and powerful as Khorvaire's, or probably more. Isn't this invention supposed to be easy for them?

There are the skyships of Netheril and Halruaa. What other amazing public transports do Faerunians have? It looks like they're mostly content with carriages. Why not magical metal-made constructs like dragons or giant hawks (some kind of prototypes of modern airplanes)? Or a rail like that of Ba Sing Se? Though instead of being pushed by Earthbenders, it's powered by earth elementals controlled by one to ten wizards, depending on the size of the train and the ability of the elementalists.

Every beginning has an end.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:01:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love trains, and have added one to the Realms, twice. Once in my 'FR Old West' campaign (set a century ahead in Anchorme), and I had one down in Halruaa (where my players never made it to... but I knew it was there).

In my homebrew (Misbegotten) Realms, I am still undecided on whether to have one in Halruaa. Its an island chain now, and the airships actually make so much more sense.

As for why we don't have one? Efficiency - we have portals/gates all over the place, so the need for this was never warranted.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2012 19:02:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:08:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As for why we don't have one? Efficiency - we have portals/gates all over the place, so the need for this was never warranted.

Not only that, but it would require a degree of cooperation between connected nations to set up and maintain this, and there simply is not enough of a need to motivate those nations.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:18:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't think so. 'Common' people don't travel by portals. Fear aside, most of them just don't have the coins. At least for trains, there's the first class section (where obviously the rich and powerful can stay), the standard (for the common folk), and the 'economy' (where the poor are lumped in). Or at least that's how it works in Khorvaire's Lightning Rail.

Besides, trains are more stable than portals. When portals are sabotaged or malfunction for whatever reason, you can end up at an unknown place where there's no going back. Or worse, you're split into two---literally. Lower part is left behind, while your torso is transported elsewhere. With trains, if they malfunction, at least you have some seconds to prepare for a teleportation spell.

The trains don't have to go around the continent. Its route could just be local. It'll be most helpful to big realms like Thay and Cormyr.

Hopefully this gets introduced in 5E.

Edited by - Dennis on 01 Aug 2012 19:31:16
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:31:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. But the main problem with running a railway system in the realms is that is an extremely unstable and perilous land.
Even magic itself has been made somewhat unstable by the spellplague. Also railways are notorious vulnerable to attack , this problem would be magnified greatly in the realms. Every lich, orc horde and bandit chief would be constantly attacking such a rich and relatively vulnerable prize. To protect it would require massive resources as you would have to secure thousands of miles of tracks in all sorts of inhospitable environments. Perhaps that's why the mages decided that it did not make sense to implement this project even if they had thought it up in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:33:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As I pointed out above, its route need not be 'international,' but just local. Big realms could benefit from it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:43:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

As I pointed out above, its route need not be 'international,' but just local. Big realms could benefit from it.

They could benefit from it, but would the expenditure necessary to build and maintain the railroad be worth it? Not much point in spending 1000 gold to get back 137.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:45:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah i admit that a local railway network within the confines of a great city such as Waterdeep might me more practical and would certainly be a great boon to the people there. Perhaps the fact that its has not yet occurred is because in the pre industrial era that the realms is currently in no one has had the foresight to propose such an outlandish scheme and those who have have been decried as fools and madmen. If you lived in a world without birds would you still dream about flying?
Also few wizards are actually interested in placing potent magic in the hands of the people.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  20:02:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

They could benefit from it, but would the expenditure necessary to build and maintain the railroad be worth it? Not much point in spending 1000 gold to get back 137.

In the long run, there'll be a substantial return of investments.

Plus, this would greatly lessen the traffic flow in the streets of big and populated cities.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  20:15:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Also few wizards are actually interested in placing potent magic in the hands of the people.

They would have no choice if their king or supreme ruler commands them to. Say, an adviser of Azoun thinks of it and believes in its feasibility. Azoun in turn commands a handful of the War Wizards to see to its fulfillment.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  21:40:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

In the long run, there'll be a substantial return of investments.

Plus, this would greatly lessen the traffic flow in the streets of big and populated cities.

How do you know that? Casting all that magic is not cheap. Maintaining it is not cheap. And the profit margin on most goods is not going to be that high. It could literally take decades for the service to even pay for itself, much less turn a profit.

Look at it this way: if using magic to transport goods would be so profitable, there'd be a lot of flying wagons. Simply levitating a horse-drawn wagon would be an improvement, but how many of those do we know of in the Realms?

And I really don't see how having faster traffic between cities lessens traffic within cities. If anything, it would make it worse, because people would be able to travel more readily.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2012 21:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  21:53:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Houses Orien and Cannith are getting large profits out of it. So I don't see why it can't work that way among Realmsians. It's a matter of management and getting the right people to do the job.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  22:39:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Houses Orien and Cannith are getting large profits out of it. So I don't see why it can't work that way among Realmsians. It's a matter of management and getting the right people to do the job.

Eber-whatsit is not the Realms. The nations of Eber-whatsit are far more interconnected than those of the Realms, particularly with with dragonmark Houses.

Just because it works in one setting doesn't mean it will work in another.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  23:18:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The interconnectedness of Khorvaire's Houses is a non-issue. As I pointed out, it can operate just locally. One city is usually under one rule of an individual or group, like Thay.

I'm not saying it has to work in another because it does work in one. However, the logical possibility is there. We just have to agree to disagree.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  00:00:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The interconnectedness of Khorvaire's Houses is a non-issue. As I pointed out, it can operate just locally. One city is usually under one rule of an individual or group, like Thay.

I'm not saying it has to work in another because it does work in one. However, the logical possibility is there. We just have to agree to disagree.

No, it is not a non-issue, and the logic is based on very dissimilar things.

In Eber-whatsit, you have a single, wide-spread organization to build, operate, and maintain the lightning rail. And you've got multiple nations connected by it -- trade between nations is going to be greater, and more profitable, than trade within a nation.

The Realms lacks the single organization to pull off something like this. The nations of the Realms are not as connected and do not have the high volumes of trade that would make this profitable. Intranational trade alone isn't worth the high price of the lightning rail.

And again, if it was profitable to use magic to facilitate trade, we would have already seen it happening in the Realms.

Oh, and another factor: the increased prevalence of magic in Eber-whatsit also makes this an inherently cheaper proposition there, as opposed to the Realms. The Realms is certainly a high-magic setting, but the Realms has more high-level wizards who focus on aspects of magic that aren't as practical for every day use. Eber-whatsit doesn't have as many high-level mages, but what it does have is far larger numbers of lesser practitioners focused on practical magic, and the utility of dragonmarks on top of that.

I can see worshippers of Gond creating a very local and non-magical (or low-magic) short line, long before I can see a Realms-based lightning rail.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Aug 2012 00:02:01
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  00:18:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Realms lacks the single organization to pull off something like this.

Says who?

In pre-Netheril time, an ordinary folk might have been branded crazy if he thought that there's a way to make ships fly.

quote:

The nations of the Realms are not as connected and do not have the high volumes of trade that would make this profitable.

Why would you insist on having it operate in an international scale when it can do so just locally? And how can you be certain such endeavor would turn out unprofitable?

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Aug 2012 00:19:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  00:54:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Says who?

Says all of the Realms material that fails to mention any such organization.

quote:

In pre-Netheril time, an ordinary folk might have been branded crazy if he thought that there's a way to make ships fly.

Hell of a difference between a single flying vehicle and the magical equivalent of maglev technology being applied to a region.

quote:

quote:

The nations of the Realms are not as connected and do not have the high volumes of trade that would make this profitable.

Why would you insist on having it operate in an international scale when it can do so just locally? And how can you be certain such endeavor would turn out unprofitable?

Because, as I said, intranational trade isn't nearly as profitable as international trade. And how can I be certain it'd be unprofitable? Look at prices for magical items, or for particular spells to be cast. Look at the fact that the Realms doesn't even have levitating wagons, which would be quicker and easier to implement.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Says who?

Says all of the Realms material that fails to mention any such organization.

Just because no organization has tried it before does not mean no one can (or would) try it now or in the future.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Because, as I said, intranational trade isn't nearly as profitable as international trade. And how can I be certain it'd be unprofitable? Look at prices for magical items, or for particular spells to be cast. Look at the fact that the Realms doesn't even have levitating wagons, which would be quicker and easier to implement.

The prices are high, yes. But so would the profits be, as people from all walks of life who have enough coins could use it. It may take a year or two before they earn back the initial cost of their investment, but they'll earn it.

Again, when you get the right people and maintain good management, everything's going to work out well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:57:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not only that, but it would require a degree of cooperation between connected nations to set up and maintain this, and there simply is not enough of a need to motivate those nations.

And let's not forget the major element of EBERRON's Lightning Rail that is required for such similarly-themed transportation to be reproduced in the Realms -- Dragonshards.

Without such artifacts, a Realms-based Lightning Rail would require an equivalent that goes beyond the simple dynamics of elemental binding.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:00:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's one major stumbling block. The Dragonmarked Houses of EBERRON have a long and established tradition of working together to help produce such services for the people of Khorvaire. There is no similarly-structured period of cooperation between trade-houses/nations in the Realms.

For something like this to occur in the Realms, would likely require significant periods of both social and political interaction between factions that aren't otherwise focused on establishing their own agendas above that of others.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:03:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just because no organization has tried it before does not mean no one can (or would) try it now or in the future.
A dedicated organisation isn't the only issue. As I said above, the Realms is also missing the requisite "elemental bonding" apparatus and historical cooperation between trade factions.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:11:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

And let's not forget the major element of EBERRON's Lightning Rail that is required for such similarly-themed transportation to be reproduced in the Realms -- Dragonshards.

Without such artifacts, a Realms-based Lightning Rail would require an equivalent that goes beyond the simple dynamics of elemental binding.

What's the need for dragonshards when Faerunian mages can craft something far more superior? They can create some sort of mini-mythallar to power it, or use it to bind the elementals.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:12:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats why mine (in Anchorome) was built by dwarves. Dwarves cooperate internationally - humans need not even be involved.

I took this bit from my old campaign and moved it into my homebrew setting (not my hodgepodge Realms - my REAL HB setting). 'The Empire' (based very loosely on the Empire in Warhammer) has a train, and its operated and managed solely by dwarves, who are the only people who understand it. Some of this is also (very superficially) from a book, Iron Dragons; you may recognize the author.

However, borrowing from Iron Kingdoms (and Warcraft), certain groups of goblins have shown a knack for technology, and have been known to be able to repair (sort-of) dwarven machinery and keep it running. There is a huge 'black market' for Goblin-bodged dwarven relics.

I have no gnomes in my setting - the non-savage goblins take their place (very much like in IK).

Going back to dwarves - I can see them behind something like that, even building internationally, going 'under' bad areas and uncooperative regions. The potential for adventures is phenomenal - not only the usual 'old west' style train robberies and what-not, but you have areas where trains went in... and never came out. Just hire adventures to go down ol' track #72 and find out what happened to the Waterdeep Express.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2012 05:10:29
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:18:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

There's one major stumbling block. The Dragonmarked Houses of EBERRON have a long and established tradition of working together to help produce such services for the people of Khorvaire. There is no similarly-structured period of cooperation between trade-houses/nations in the Realms.

As I mentioned, it doesn't have to operate in an international scale. Local operation, though may not yield as much profits, can still be established just fine.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:24:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the ear-marks of the railroad boom (internationally) was its use to the military. Moving large numbers of troops over vast amounts of territory quickly and efficiently helped to get Gov't to back railway projects.

FR just doesn't have that problem - small groups teleporting in-and-out can do far more damage then an army, far more efficiently. This nullifies one of the major driving forces behind such endeavors. In fact, it argues against it: You are moving your army to the front, and a wizard pops-in and makes that bridge go bye-bye. No more army.

FR isn't Eberron, or the RW - the factors involved are completely different.

And you are talking to a guy who had a room-sized model railway as a kid. I have always loved miniatures. As much as I would like to argue for it, I just can't. I'll put them in my Realms, but I think I'd be a little weirded-out if they put one in the canon Realms.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2012 02:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:36:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Military use? What Eberron era are you reading? It's used for public transport these days.

The factors need not be exactly similar. FR is awash with magic and full of powerful and brilliant wizards. Almost anything is possible.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:57:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible, yes, but not likely.
Particularly since Ed's few railways (mining lines) were removed from the published Realms to be saved for a higher-tech setting (Eberron, when it came along later), just as Ed's heraldry was downplayed/not published because that was "too Greyhawk."
So Ed's Realms had very-short-line railways, but you've never seen them in print, and probably never will.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  03:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What sorta-kinda-maybe hugely important event just ended in Eberron? Right, the Last War. Where the lightning rail saw extensive use moving both soldiers and cargo (Forge of War, pg 62). Until, that was, everyone started to realize how useful the fast movement of people and things were to a war effort, and they started blowing up bridges, conductor stones, and entire stations to interdict the other nations, regardless of the fact that House Orien was supposed to be neutral.

Which is just one of the problems with creating a lightning rail in the Realms. Could it be done? Absolutely. Will it? No way. Some things standing in the way:

1) As has been noted, there's no one to do it. There isn't any large, organized, magically-powerful organization to do the construction.

2) The Realms is huge. Just take a look at the differences in size between Faerun and America. Now think of just how massive a project the Trans Continental Railroad was. And that's with relatively straightforward technology, where you can literally throw tens of thousands of people at the problem. A lot of the lightning rail work would have to be done by skilled wizards (there being no artificers in FR), of which there are far fewer.

3) The Realms isn't peaceful enough. This one's a biggie. Before the Last War, when was the last time Khorvaire had a major war? The War of the Mark? And that was, what, a thousand years ago? Two thousand? (not sure, I'm only mildly versed in Eberron). Sure, there was that lycanthrope purge, but that was more of a large-scale cleric adventure, with minimal infrastructure damage. Contrast that with how often orc hordes come rampaging down on Faerun's civilization, or neighboring Realms go to war, or some random magical plague wipes everyone out (Chondath). The lightning rail in Eberron could be built because the entire continent had been at peace for so long, even a massive infrastructure investment could be counted on to stay there long enough to pay off.

4) And while we're on the subject of infrastructure, the Realms has way more powerful wizards than Eberron, and they've got plenty of feuds. And all of the nations and city states have wizards under their banner. Which means there's a truly massive number of people who could just blip in and blast your conductor stones away if they got peeved, or went to war.

5) Which means that even if you could build it, you can't protect it, because there's no way you can pay enough wizards to do guard duty to ward off all the other wizards who might be taking pot shots.

6) And finally, it isn't needed. The Realms already has a well-developed sea-going infrastructure, and practically all cities are built on either a coast or a river. Yes, a fully developed railroad would be able to carry more faster, eventually, once you got past the first few decades of trial and error things going slow and blowing up (see really early movie footage of train accidents; even decades after its introduction, the train was not a safe thing to travel on), but things are working fine right now as far as most people are concerned. They don't need to expend the truly vast amount of time and resources to build something that might not even work, when you've got a perfectly good ship out in the harbor right now.

And if you came to a wizard about doing it, they'd probably say "Why don't I just build you a gate instead, and we'll call it a day?" That's an even quicker, and actually established, magical technology that you can have up and running in months, or sooner, and doesn't run the risk of being interdicted.

Really, I think the question ought to be: why aren't there more gate networks in the Realms? We already have Aurora's, why haven't more people copied her? I know we've got the "Mystra doesn't like it" argument, but that's always seemed a bit flat to me.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  03:35:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially with Mystra liking the spread of magic...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  03:48:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Possible, yes, but not likely.
Particularly since Ed's few railways (mining lines) were removed from the published Realms to be saved for a higher-tech setting (Eberron, when it came along later), just as Ed's heraldry was downplayed/not published because that was "too Greyhawk."
So Ed's Realms had very-short-line railways, but you've never seen them in print, and probably never will.
love,
THO

'Twould have been great to see it in print.

What kind of magic/artifact powers them?

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Aug 2012 03:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  04:04:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

2) The Realms is huge. Just take a look at the differences in size between Faerun and America. Now think of just how massive a project the Trans Continental Railroad was. And that's with relatively straightforward technology, where you can literally throw tens of thousands of people at the problem. A lot of the lightning rail work would have to be done by skilled wizards (there being no artificers in FR), of which there are far fewer.

Think local then. It wouldn't be a problem if only one individual controls the trade and practically everyone else in the realm. Consider Szass Tam and Thay.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And if you came to a wizard about doing it, they'd probably say "Why don't I just build you a gate instead, and we'll call it a day?" That's an even quicker, and actually established, magical technology that you can have up and running in months, or sooner, and doesn't run the risk of being interdicted.

Because portals are less stable and the effects when they malfunction are catastrophic. When a train derails (whether by accident or otherwise), you have at the very least a few seconds to cast a teleportation spell. When a portal malfunctions, you'd probably end up split in half; your torso transported to Bane knows where.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000