Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 In the Lady of Pain thread...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  23:57:33  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have seen many terms and items that I don't
recognize. I used to consider myself fairly
knowlidgable about D&D but now realize how
limited my knowledge was. Can somebody try
explain to me the terms: dabus, Touni, Ordials,
Ulgurshek orifice, immortals, and try and tie them
tinto some kind of psuedo theory.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  00:42:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll throw out the Immortals bit:

Immortals are simply Gods in the World of Mystara.

In the "Basic" Dungeons and Dragons game, the setting was devoted to the world of Mystara, where places such as the Empire of Thyatis and the Empire of Alphatia existed alongside smaller nations such as the Dwarven Clans of Rockhome, the Grand Duchy of Karameikos, the Elves of Alfheim, the Halfling lands of the Five Shires and etc.

In this particular version of the game, you could advance your character to level 36 in one of the basic classes (such as Fighter, Cleric, Thief and Wizard); but Demi-Humans WERE a class (An Elf was from the Elf Class and so on!).

Once reaching level 36 you could begin a "Path" to Immortality. Once you achieved that goal, your character actually joined the Pantheon of Immortals and was considered an Immortal too. They were often careful not to use the word God...but the Immortals Boxed Set actually allowed you to play a God. It even had rules for an Immortal to create races and worlds I believe.

When the setting was brought into 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons via the "Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure" boxed set; they marginalized the Immortals and they were no longer available for play, and so the Immortals were then treated much more like Gods in other campaign settings.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  01:11:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Immortals are basically pretty much the same thing as Gods, Primordials, whatever you (or they) prefer they be called - creatures of a divine order, higher than "mortals". In most D&D they require some sort of worshippers or followers to sustain their power, and in return they grant spellcasting and/or special powers to their faithful, priests, or champions. It would be difficult to rank Immortal-vs-God in terms of game rules because they usually exist in what amount to being entirely different games. It should be noted that "Immortals" are usually actually immortal, unkillable, ageless - but (just like gods) some might age or be slain or be little more than the current occupants/holders of a certain "office" or "station".

Dabus are a race native to Sigil. They are sentient but communicate only in rebuses (they project floating images or glyphs to make word-puzzle-statements). They float around instead of walking and (like everything else in Planescape) are basically bizarre. The entire race (with only one known exception) seem to all be unquestioningly loyal and obedient servants of The Lady ... they tirelessly maintain all the "civil engineering" aspects and operations in Sigil (always busy hammering razorvine, repairing or constructing, moving trash, digging, burying, moving, etc etc). Some sources speculate that the dabus are constructs (controlled by the Lady like avatars, or some sort of distributed/parallel intelligence) instead of a normal race. None have been known to ever leave Sigil. They have as much or as little personality as any other NPC and tend to be about as cooperative as necessary to move the story along, but no more, preferring instead to focus uninterrupted on their individual tasks.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 May 2012 01:19:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  17:35:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Ordials' is my term for the group of beings above deities, and I feel there are at least three 'tiers' within that group.

'Prime' Ordials (primordials) are the ones we are most familiar with, and the lowest tier - they are the cosmic 'caretakers' of the prime Material Plane. They are the equivalent to greater (Planer) Titans - the ones found in Olympus and elsewhere - and represent the natural forces of the world (elements & energies).

The tier directly above them - Intermediate Ordials - would be Overgods. Think of this group as the 'Overseers' (foreman) of the primordials originally... although that has changed quite a bit since the Age before Ages. Each is in-charge of a specific Sphere (which isn't always a crystal sphere - demi-planes can be included).

There is a tier above, that represent 'Cosmic Concepts' - I used to call these being Conceptuals, and they are the equivalent of Marvel Comics' cosmic beings.

Below the Ordials are the exarchs - the gofers that do all the day-to-day stuff in the universe (this includes angels, fiends, etc). This is the cosmic 'labor-pool'.

Deities are fairly new concept - they are ascended mortals (Immortals) - compared to the others; they did not arise until after the Age before ages, and are a byproduct of death itself (you cannot have the concept of immortality without it). Deities actually fall outside of the normal scheme of things, the way the universe was intended... or are they? They are the only beings that can act as a conduit for mortal faith and convert it into usable energy; any non-deity able to do so must make a deal with a deity to share some of its power, or absorb the essence of a mortal (and thus gain a connection to the mortal overmind which a deity taps-into).

'Gods' refers to anyone above exarch level... and occasionally include exarchs {demi-powers in particular). It's really just a mortal catch-all for extra-planer beings of great power.

This is primarily homebrew, from my own musings, just to get all the categories of beings into a simpler format. The term 'Immortals' comes from Mystara (OD&D) - a 'world without gods'... which simply means they have a deeper understanding of the multiverse and how it works (probably thanks to the Blackmoor civilization, but that's a whole 'nother cosmic ball of wax).

Ordials: I thought I was the very first to come up with that term - and thought myself rather clever - but it turns out some folks have had the idea of an Ordial Plane, which while intriguing, is different then my own usage for the word. Of course, it's fairly easy to combine the two (Greater Ordials could dwell in the Ordial Plane).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 May 2012 17:42:25
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  20:50:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Dabus are the Lady of Pain's "servants" that do things for her, such as service Sigil. They are basically yellow near-humans that float and do not really interact with others.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  04:22:22  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said above, I used to think myself as knowledgable about D&D, and know
consider myself at the "Saint" level of Markus homebrew organization of cosmology.
I have never had a comprehensive library of DD material, and now see how quasi-theories
from one person tie with a theory from another person, which fits together with a homebrew
from somebody else. I am just overwhelmed by it all.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  20:06:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember that all of this is built off of the work started by Gary Gygax and his great wheel, and all the lore added to it by many others over the years (most especially Ed Greenwood), and a good working-knowledge of all the novels those folk read that inspired them (Roger Zelazny, Jack Vance, Tolkien, Robert Howard, Michael Moorcock, etc..)

It's not so much as as 'creating' material, but rather seeing "the big picture" those that came before also saw, and simply adding our own small pieces to it.

The nature of the universe is to remain a mystery - without the enigma, the experiment becomes pointless.

EDIT: And people like Shemmy and Gray Richardson (amongst others) have been doing this far longer then I, and I constantly bow to their superior knowledge in this area. Everyone does their part, and tries to build onto the amazing work of art that is the D&D cosmology. I don't have a theory - I have a seed of truth that grows in directions I never expected, but is never quite complete. The cosmology is a living thing, which grows and changes just like anything else. The more information we collect, the more we realize how little we truly know.

But isn't that the fun of it all? The journey?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2012 20:12:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000