Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Randal Morn and Daggerdale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  02:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would any scribes here be so good as to tell me where I can find out more about the Zhent occupation of Daggerdale, and particularly Randal Morn's return?
I have the FRCS, Volo's Guide to the Dales and the 2E boxset. I don't have the 2E (or is it 1E?) Dalelands sourcebook. I also don't possess the series of adventures connected to this event, so would be very grateful if someone could give me a basic recap of what happens in them.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  03:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a ton of info on it but I know the City of the Spiderqueen module takes place in Daggerdale and has a small amount of info about Morn's return.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  03:49:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has also discussed Randal Morn and his sister, see my 2005, I believe it's in 2005, files that are in my sig. :) Use the index to search for Morn or Daggerdale.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  12:47:50  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been a while since I read it, but doesn't one of the Finder novels deal with Daggerdale? (Finder's Bane?) As I remember it had some interesting info in it. I would also be interested in this info.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  13:22:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye... 'twas Finder's Bane.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have a couple more questions.
The FRCS, on page 127, says Randal Morn was the hereditary ruler of Daggerdale. Does he have a wife and any children to succeed him, or is this unknown? Given that he first went into exile in 1336 DR, and if we assume he was 20 at the time (though I have no idea how old he was), that would make him close to 60, so such a matter might be of importance in the near future.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  17:19:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed's June 10th reply about the Morns that I mentioned above.

"Ed replies:

Randal may well have ‘weak seed’ (near-sterility, perhaps from genetics, and perhaps from long, hard hours in the saddle and years of living in the open under harsh conditions). He’s certainly shown no signs of fathering anyone - - and he HAS enjoyed many trysts and even several-year-long affairs with women during his rugged life. I don’t think his ties with Cormyr would be altered at all (Vangerdahast and others have long since used magic to stealthily ‘read’ what they could of Randal’s mind, and take his true measure and learn his loyalties). What will happen is that some Highknight, undercover War Wizard, or other Cormyrean spies will go into Daggerdale (which is already awash in Harper, Zhent, Sembian, Dalesfolk, and yes, Cormyrean spies) to watch and listen carefully for any signs of Cormaerils subverting Randal Morn or “starting anything.”"

There's more about the Morns in the 2005 replies and in the reply from that date.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  22:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good old Ed, I wish I'd read through the answers fully before asking the questions, trust him to have answered in such depth. It's all good though, gives me a lot to work from.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  22:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further info on Daggerdale during the Zhent occupation can be found in the Sword of the Dales Trilogy of modules

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  00:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Further info on Daggerdale during the Zhent occupation can be found in the Sword of the Dales Trilogy of modules

Indeed, I mentioned that, and was hoping someone would give me an overview of what happens during them.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  20:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well basically, the PC's arrive in Daggerfalls and are told that Randal Morn has gone missing. He was last known to be seeking Shraevyn's Tomb (this is what is covered briefly in Finder's Bane - nice snippet ). When the PC's arrive at the tomb, they locate the Sword of the Dales.

I can't remember the details, but then end up traveling to a gnome village in the Spiderhaunt Woods. I think there's a seer there who tells them about his dreams of a tower etc.

The PC's then seek out the tower and within find Randal Morn in stasis. There's a wizard of some sort who has him captive and must be slain to free Randal and give him the sword to rule the Dale.

I think that's the basics of it. Sorry if it's not 100% accurate but it's been many many years since I ran the adventures, and I did expand upon it myself in a few places.

Check out the pages on the site, as I think they have the back cover blurb:

Sword of the Dales - http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9484.htm
The Secret of Spiderhaunt - http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9485.htm
The Return of Randal Morn - http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9488.htm

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  01:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks. Gives me a little more background I can build in.

Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  21:30:25  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know if it is mentioned here. I didnt think so, but.
In the boxed set of Zhentil Keep 2nd edition, there is a quest in which Randal Morn plays an important part
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  23:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go even deeper into 2e, there's an adventure called Doom of Daggerdale that deals with the dale when it's fully occupied and freedom is years away. It's for 1st level PC's and essentially they get caught up in a magical plague that a resurrected evil wizard ancestor of Randal's had cooked up to bring him back into power. (When a group of mine ran it, one of my players used the adventure to springboard himself into the Zhent heirarcy in the dale... as he was a gold elven bladesinger Harper, it led to some fascinating one-on-one adventures... he eventually became constable, and spent most of his time covertly getting the Zhents into as much trouble as he could).

Anyway, in the adventure you wander the town, and investigate the ruins of a church of Lathander (and the dungeons beneath it). The events in the adventure are alluded to in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, which is another place you might want to look.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  13:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is that Colderan Morn, Randal's great-grandfather? I'm assuming so, since the answers Ed gave name only Randal, Silver, and Colderan as the Morn's whose names have made it into print.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  16:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Colderan is the guy. You get to give him his final death in the adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  00:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Yep, Colderan is the guy. You get to give him his final death in the adventure.

Or do you?! *cue evil laughter* My mind is ticking...

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:09:20  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please tell me which year Doom of Daggerdale is supposed to be set in?
I assume the Sword of the Dales trilogy is set in 1369 (I think), the year that Randal Morn reclaimed Daggerdale.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  15:18:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. The trilogy is set during 1369 DR.

As I recall... Doom of Daggerdale takes place two years before in 1367 DR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  22:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only two years? Fair play, I'd have guessed it was longer ago. Thanks anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2006 :  23:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, FRQ3 is set 1367 DR. We know this from its references to Dulwar Leatherworker's arrival 'a few years ago' (p. 6) and the burning of the temple of Lathander 'eight years ago' exactly as in FRS1 The Dalelands (p. 21), which is expressly set in 1367.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  02:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I definately thought it was set much earlier, and when I ran it I think I set it in 1363 or so. Thankfully, as long as it's occupied Daggerdale after the Time of Troubles, it really doesn't matter when it's set (and, if you change the priest of Cyric to Bane, you could even set it earlier). Good to know the official date, though.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  06:57:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Casting Raise Dead Scroll>

Sooo...I was doing some reading of Ed Greenwood's writings in Polyhedron, and noticed that he says of Randal Morn:

"...The bard Randal Morn..."

Ok...that is the first I've seen of Randal Morn being a Bard!

I'm hashing through some other old magazines to see if I can find more; but does anyone ever remember stats for this (1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons...or 2nd Ed?) Randal Morn as a Bard?

Of course, the Flaming Tower is said to be ONLY six miles north of Shadowdale Town in this same article! Where the Zhentarim trade slaves to the Drow!

The magazine is Polyhedron 84, article is page 19 "The Everwinking Eye"; published June 1993...so this should be a 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Randal Morn.

So, any takers on a Randal Morn Bard?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  07:41:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

<Casting Raise Dead Scroll>

Sooo...I was doing some reading of Ed Greenwood's writings in Polyhedron, and noticed that he says of Randal Morn:

"...The bard Randal Morn..."

Ok...that is the first I've seen of Randal Morn being a Bard!

I'm hashing through some other old magazines to see if I can find more; but does anyone ever remember stats for this (1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons...or 2nd Ed?) Randal Morn as a Bard?

Of course, the Flaming Tower is said to be ONLY six miles north of Shadowdale Town in this same article! Where the Zhentarim trade slaves to the Drow!

The magazine is Polyhedron 84, article is page 19 "The Everwinking Eye"; published June 1993...so this should be a 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Randal Morn.

So, any takers on a Randal Morn Bard?

The old boy has been a bard since the OGB - his write-up (p. 29 of the DM's Guidebook of the Realms) makes him (1E) 6th level bard (7th level fighter, 6th level thief). The 2E Boxed Set makes him an F7/Th6 (dual-classed, presumably)? The Return of Randal Morn lists his stats (as F7/th6): S 16, D 17, C 13, I 12, W 10, CH 15.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  11:16:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frankly never thought of Randal morn as the bardic type so this is a bit of a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  13:46:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I frankly never thought of Randal morn as the bardic type so this is a bit of a surprise.

The 1e bards were a different sort, requiring a progression between fighter, druid, and thief first, IIRC.

They were sneaky fighter types with a woodland affiliation, a handful of spells, and bardic in the Celtic sense. In other words, "the Randal Morn" type.

In 3.5e, I might make him a ranger and/or scout. Then I'd look for a bard variant that didn't have arcane magic and multi-class him. (I vaguely remember there was such a think in one of the 3.5e splat books.)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  13:46:29  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Dusts off Old Grey Box Tomes>

How did I miss that?!

Well, I guess it just goes to show that eventually you just get too much information in the books to fit in your head! lol

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  14:14:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

The 1e bards were a different sort, requiring a progression between fighter, druid, and thief first, IIRC.

They were sneaky fighter types with a woodland affiliation, a handful of spells, and bardic in the Celtic sense. In other words, "the Randal Morn" type.

In 3.5e, I might make him a ranger and/or scout. Then I'd look for a bard variant that didn't have arcane magic and multi-class him. (I vaguely remember there was such a think in one of the 3.5e splat books.)
The Scout.

The Iron Kingdoms rules had a great variant for this.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  01:18:50  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently make a conversion on Doom of Dagggerdale to 3.5 edition ....I think as a scout Randal Morn would be great!!! Have you any suggestions about all his stats as a scout???

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  11:07:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

The Scout.

The Iron Kingdoms rules had a great variant for this.

Yeah I pretty much saw him as a ranger / scout character. But then I am not too familiar with 1 e. Bards are Barenis like characters to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000