Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Role-playing Awakened Animals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  22:02:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I am looking for a little advice. I plan on using the Wooly Mammoth from Frostburn. I had thought to have my PC's consult the matriarch of the mastodons, (Runetusk?) perhaps an awakened animal sacred to Oghma(?), even a spell-caster. It is said elephants (pachyderms) never forget. I was thinking of running an oracle encounter in an Elephant Graveyard. If such an animal were telepathically capable of communication, would complex concepts such as say, blame or regret be within their lexicon? Or would fight or flight or food be their primary response? How would you role-play this conversation? Looking for any suggestions.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 May 2012 00:50:45

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  22:39:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the Intelligence of the critter... And doesn't the awaken spell boost the animal to human intelligence?

I would say that even with human intelligence, an animal would be more concerned with animal things: food, avoiding predators, mating, all that. An awakened animal that's been around people, however, would understand those human concerns, at least to some extent. I would say that an awakened mammoth that is sacred to Oghma would be quite aware of human concerns, and has likely dealt with humans a lot in the past.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  22:41:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An idea I've tinkered with is an awakened velociraptor (like the Jurassic Park ones, not the real ones) that is a priest of Malar...

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  22:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awaken boosts the animal's Int by +3d6 (avg +10), Cha by +1d3 (avg +2), and changes its type to magical beast (augmented animal). So I would think that it would have all of the mental capacity of any other being with an Int of the same level.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 17 May 2012 22:46:41
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  00:49:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, have you seen Goodman Games Complete Guide to Velociraptors? Therein are suggestions for running tribal-type deinonychus'. Not a great book, but a decent one.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  01:41:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

An idea I've tinkered with is an awakened velociraptor (like the Jurassic Park ones, not the real ones) that is a priest of Malar...

And the Isle of Lurath in the Sea of Fallen Stars -- since it's already populated by dinosaurs -- remains the perfect setting for a Jurassic Park-styled adventure in the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  01:46:06  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually played something like this once. Well, I was a wail, but that’s beside the point. Some things I said, which might be useful.

And the burning one that chases after Elah = day

When Elah, walks= night

Feeding the mind belly = anything that doesn’t involve physical nourishment, or shelter, but is sought after.

When the dragon is fully awake = summer

When the dragon slumbers = winter

Months and years weren’t understood as such, but rather were linked to basic changes. In my case, it was something like

Before the forming of the reaf at the river’s mouth where the Samon go to mate.

In your case, it could be, when this dieing place was young = a long time ago

Before the coming of the ivory hunters, or When the bulls were few and the calves fewer.

This is just a start, the more I think about it, the more I’ll respond. Hopefully, this will give you a few ideas. I should note, this was back when I was just playing NPCs, and only there to help out the DM.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  15:36:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elephants are actually quite intelligent , they even capable of showing signs of recognition when looking at themselves in a mirror so with the added bonus of the spell they should easily reach human level intelligence. Though this intelligence may manifest in different ways compared to human intelligence.
For example they would be likely to be more intuitive and emotionally expressive than humans.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  16:56:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think humans (as a species) are already overly intuitive and emotionally expressive ... but sorely lacking in rational and objective forms of intelligence. Elephants with human-equivalent intellects might turn out to be brilliant mathematicians, logicians, and scientists, entirely unmoved by quaint human attachment towards (and dependency upon) emotionally-satisfying fabrications.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 May 2012 16:58:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:01:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought of this... There is already an established race of humanoid elephants in the Realms, the loxo. Sure, that's not what we're looking for, here -- but the info on them (which isn't much more than a page in a Monstrous Compendium) could still offer some inspiration.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:12:56  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think humans (as a species) are already overly intuitive and emotionally expressive ... but sorely lacking in rational and objective forms of intelligence. Elephants with human-equivalent intellects might turn out to be brilliant mathematicians, logicians, and scientists, entirely unmoved by quaint human attachment towards (and dependency upon) emotionally-satisfying fabrications.

That's part of humanities problems, general lack of retrospective and introspective thought by a large part of the populis combined with short term gratification over long term gratification is another element. If elephents only had another truely apposable digit, there's no telling how far the leve of neurological development might be through self-actualized eenvirnmental enrichment.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:32:26  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point.
But seriously elephants have an extremely strong family based society , so it is unlikely they will turn into rational scientists. Though that might be interesting in its own right.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:41:01  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Good point.
But seriously elephants have an extremely strong family based society , so it is unlikely they will turn into rational scientists. Though that might be interesting in its own right.

You know this is a great example of a reduxio ad Aherium, do you mind if I borrow it?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  18:26:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, I like to be quoted. You can quote me on that.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  18:52:56  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* grin*

I was refereing to Thauranil there, but thanks there.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:06:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:

quote:

Good point.

You know this is a great example of a reduxio ad Aherium, do you mind if I borrow it?

???

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:16:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know about reducing something to absurdity...not too clear on the Aherium myself?

EDIT:

spelling...AND

If you want awakened animals to kinda look at, the Realms is full of them!

I mean, we have Worgs as an example...Minotaurs (perhaps not a good example...but there) and many others.

The only race that I thought was really cool that I thought I came up with that didn't have a similar creature was a race of intelligent carrion eaters called the Vulturan (from big ol' Turkey Vultures) that I thought would be interesting.

They venerated a particular Vrock highly, and their greatest spellcaster had acquired the ability to Summon it (though I can't remember the name). They often looted battle-fields and such for anything they could find beyond eating the dead. They had even started to take slaves of smaller races to force them to build for them.

Makes me want to go dig them up!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 18 May 2012 23:40:38
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:35:38  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies, let me explain, it's simeilar to that in scope, as means reduction of assumptions. In logical arguments, it's either assuming something that's not actually there, or assuming tha two elements are controdictory when they aren't. the classic example of this is emotion and reason having to be mutually exclusive, when they aren't. In this case, having strong family ties,

(A and Sbq)

can be conjoined to, and has been conjoined to

(B and Rtf)

This forms a statement with both elements joined with an and.

What this means in language is that one can have strong family ties and still be rational, as the presence or absence of one doesn't necesitate any impact on the other. I liked the statement, because it's one that nearly all my tutoring students make in some respect or another, and the language of it was so marvelously worded. I'm probably sounding like a horendous nerd right now.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:38:31  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellfire, I'm probably missing something, but it sounds like all you did there was quote people, and I get the feeling that this isn't the case, is there an image there? usually JAWS will tell me if one is there, but not what it is, that's why I'm asking.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:59:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fellfire, I'm probably missing something, but it sounds like all you did there was quote people, and I get the feeling that this isn't the case, is there an image there? usually JAWS will tell me if one is there, but not what it is, that's why I'm asking.

His post was just three question marks, indicating he was questioning that which he quoted.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  00:01:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He only placed three question marks mate. Short-hand for a question from some.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  00:11:49  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd, I heard the question marks in both of yours, but not his. Just one of theose many mysteries of the internet that'll never be explained. Thanks both for clearing that up.

No

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  03:00:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just thought of this... There is already an established race of humanoid elephants in the Realms, the loxo. Sure, that's not what we're looking for, here -- but the info on them (which isn't much more than a page in a Monstrous Compendium) could still offer some inspiration.

You'll also find some updated info about the loxo in 3e's Shining South, which reveals that this curious race of intelligent elephants arrived in Realmspace via spelljammer.

Which, in itself, raised some further interesting questions about them. I've always been curious about the Loxoth homeworld, and what other intelligent animals might be inhabiting it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  03:39:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

So, I am looking for a little advice. I plan on using the Wooly Mammoth from Frostburn. I had thought to have my PC's consult the matriarch of the mastodons, (Runetusk?) perhaps an awakened animal sacred to Oghma(?), even a spell-caster. It is said elephants (pachyderms) never forget. I was thinking of running an oracle encounter in an Elephant Graveyard. If such an animal were telepathically capable of communication, would complex concepts such as say, blame or regret be within their lexicon? Or would fight or flight or food be their primary response? How would you role-play this conversation? Looking for any suggestions.

I am trying to consider all parts of this.
Runetusk is as good a name as any for a mage of mastodons, as matriarch might even be a Chosen of Oghma. Clearly awaken spell can increase the stats, however divine intervention can do that as well.
Well telepathic ability clearly possible for a mage (Or magical item for any class), if you want clearly could consider psionics (however not required).
It is clearly believed Elephants have very good memories, that they remember friends and foes for years. Being awakened, there should be some wisdom that should be bought to any conversation.
I would say, blame regret, sorrow all could enter a conversation the reaction to the specific individuals seeking the oracle by their questions very well could determine reaction. As the graveyard is generally off limits to non race, I could see a very hostile reaction as posible unless contact made slowly and clearly one of peace. In fact I would likely play it more like the matriarch would not let outsiders in the graveyard, however might meet with them near it (25 miles or more away, a few days travel ).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  07:59:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the confusion, Sightless. I hadn't heard that quote before and a quick Google yielded no results. My Latin has lain fallow since A+P back in high school.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  08:24:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will look in to the Loxo for some inspiration. Thank you for the suggestion, Scribes.

I will elaborate a bit on the idea that I had. First off, I had thought Oghma a good choice for the patron of an awakened mammoth considering the fact that they are said to be highly intelligent and perhaps even to possess some form of racial memory, but I'm open to other suggestions. I considered making the animal Chosen/Favored, whatever, so that telepathic communication would be possible. I'm not sure that's graven in stone anywhere, but it seems reasonable to me. I had also thought a few clerical levels would be appropriate. As far as gaining the animal's trust and the honor of being allowed to visit their sacred site and their Eldest I planned on running an encounter with a dire/fiendish smilodon or something. My biggest obstacle was scripting dialogue. I'm still really unsure how much "humanity" (if that's the right word) to assign the creature in conversation. Anyhow, I hope that clears up my intentions a little. Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 19 May 2012 08:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  08:56:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out Oliphants (2E MM); Baku, Maelephants, and Hollyphants (2E MC8: Outer Planes Appendix; MC Appendices: Planescape I, Planescape II); Kaluk and Shirokinukatsukami (2E MC6: Kara-Tur Appendix).

[Edits]

Surprisingly, there seem to be no special elephant-creatures in Zakhara (2E MC13: Al-Qadim Appendix). I would expect Chult to be a fine place for anything of the sort to appear within the Realms, but my library has few materials covering the region. An elephantine counterpart to Giff spelljammers might also be an interesting possibility. Gods help us if some fool has introduced misbegotten strains of "elefey" or "were-loxo" creatures into the D&D ecosystem.

Why pick Oghma as a patron deity for sentient elephants? The Realms (at least, the pre-4E Realms) could and did easily accomodate any number of Beast Lords, Beast Cults, monstrous pantheons, and generally non-human deities. It's also always possible for interloper or immigrant powers to be introduced to the Realms along with the arrival of their followers from other worlds. A dormant or foreign elephantine power (an aspect of Indra, from the Vedic/Hindu pantheon, as just one possible example) might assert presence in the Realms, creating followers with a sort of transformation/blessing/curse resembling an elephanty version of minotaurs.

I might be mistaken, but I recall some canon mention of the Harpells possessing miniature and sentient versions of several (normally large and dumb) animals, including palm-sized talking elephants.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 May 2012 10:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  10:07:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related note; I took some time to type up the Vulturan I mentioned earlier. I was wrong about a few things regarding their origin; but I corrected a bit and it is now digital instead of "notebooked" like many things I have.

If you want to have a look:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16566

Personally, I've always liked "Smart" animals since I was a child reading about Narnia.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  12:09:22  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point.

Fell free especially as you helped me learn a new concept namely reduxio ad Aherium.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  12:25:20  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might want to check out Oliphants (2E MM); Baku, Maelephants, and Hollyphants (2E MC8: Outer Planes Appendix; MC Appendices: Planescape I, Planescape II); Kaluk and Shirokinukatsukami (2E MC6: Kara-Tur Appendix).

[Edits]

Surprisingly, there seem to be no special elephant-creatures in Zakhara (2E MC13: Al-Qadim Appendix). I would expect Chult to be a fine place for anything of the sort to appear within the Realms, but my library has few materials covering the region. An elephantine counterpart to Giff spelljammers might also be an interesting possibility. Gods help us if some fool has introduced misbegotten strains of "elefey" or "were-loxo" creatures into the D&D ecosystem.

Why pick Oghma as a patron deity for sentient elephants? The Realms (at least, the pre-4E Realms) could and did easily accomodate any number of Beast Lords, Beast Cults, monstrous pantheons, and generally non-human deities. It's also always possible for interloper or immigrant powers to be introduced to the Realms along with the arrival of their followers from other worlds. A dormant or foreign elephantine power (an aspect of Indra, from the Vedic/Hindu pantheon, as just one possible example) might assert presence in the Realms, creating followers with a sort of transformation/blessing/curse resembling an elephanty version of minotaurs.

I might be mistaken, but I recall some canon mention of the Harpells possessing miniature and sentient versions of several (normally large and dumb) animals, including palm-sized talking elephants.

Yag-Kosha?

"As to where his brethern might now be, only the Gods knew."

The moment someone mentioned spelljammer this story by Howard popped into my head.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  13:19:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yag-Kosha seems a little monstrous, but certainly possible. I think it unlikely anyone normal would want to roleplay one of his followers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000