Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2012: 25 Years of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  23:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the CK Seminar and the Keynote address were being scheduled at the same time with the same intention: an evening when a lot of people will be there but not having major conflicts with the ENnies or other events. I was not aware of the Keynote address until after I had already scheduled the CK event.

As it stands, it offers a natural and comfortable forum for people to come talk about all the big secrets that will be unveiled there! And trust me, there are a few.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  02:05:18  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Again, thank you for wrangling this event. It seems like it will be a genuine pleasure and an unexpectedly good treat (nay, anniversary gift, is more like it!) given all the special Realms happenings this year.

I hope it becomes a tradition.

Have you finalized plans to record the event (I recall that being discussed earlier)? I have a friend (who will be attending GenCon with me) who is pretty savvy at recording podcasts and the like. If you don't yet have a plan to record the event I could ask him to drop you a line?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  02:40:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure Brian James has the recording thing going...I think that is what he said.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  04:06:28  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor,

Scrolling back now, I see that Matt James mentioned something along those lines. I was asking about the web-broadcast element, but I assume they've probably got that covered too. My bad, motion withdrawn. ;)

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  07:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, maybe not, kris. I'll talk to matt.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  19:12:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I would watch a podcast of the keynote address, but I don't think I would want to see the CK event. Thats like watching a party you couldn't go to.... its sorta depressing.

Its almost like saying "look how much fun we had without you!"

Anyhow, my chances of going have gone up exponentially in the past 24 hours, but still far from being a definite. At this point, its just a matter of finding someone to go with me (I will NOT go alone - going to a gaming convention by yourself is akin to having a honeymoon by yourself, IMO).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  20:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Actually, the CK Seminar and the Keynote address were being scheduled at the same time with the same intention: an evening when a lot of people will be there but not having major conflicts with the ENnies or other events. I was not aware of the Keynote address until after I had already scheduled the CK event.

As it stands, it offers a natural and comfortable forum for people to come talk about all the big secrets that will be unveiled there! And trust me, there are a few.

I'm really looking forward to this. I love that it's Thursday night too. By Friday and Saturday, there's so much going on at the convention I can never manage to hit all the events I want to.

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  22:04:28  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay,

As a fellow man (and a fellow gamer) in his 40's, let me just say I hear you on the 'solo Con attendance' issue. Lol. That said, are you talking about the trip to and fro? Certainly there must be enough fellow Candlekeepers actually attending that you'd have things to do and people to hang out with?

If you find yourself bored on Saturday night (from around 6 to around midnight) I know of a certain Realms gaming event being run by a certain lawyer from Connecticut you could always attend! I was hoping for a good Candlekeep member turn out...

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  22:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been going solo the last 4-5 years. It has it's ups and downs. My friend who was going the years before wasn't a fan of the seminars and a few of the games I was a fan of so on the one hand I get to play them and go to the seminars. On the other hand, there is no one to share with except the few people I know at the con that I always seem to run into despite not really looking for them.* I think my nephew is going to go with me Saturday and maybe Sunday this year. He's wanted to the last few years but his mom was hesitant to let him go. This year she seems to be cool with it though.

Rambling aside, Markus you should go if the opportunity presents itself. The chance may never come again.

Who all is planning on going to the keynote anyway? When I saw the announcement for it I signed up. Does anyone who is going know the best route over to the Candlekeep get together?

*They are people I enjoy talking with and used to play miniatures games with, not people I would rather avoid or anything like that.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 07 Aug 2012 22:30:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  02:45:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

At this point, its just a matter of finding someone to go with me (I will NOT go alone - going to a gaming convention by yourself is akin to having a honeymoon by yourself, IMO).

I went alone in 2007. Of course, Ed, Eric, Steven, Brian, Erik and Eytan wouldn't leave me alone, so that didn't last very long. You'd be surprised at how your "cyber-friends" gravitate quickly into real ones. Make the effort. Get there. You won't regret it. Plus, it'll give Ed a chance to spruik you as a cartographer to the WotC crew. Ed spruiks like a fiend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  03:37:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spruik? That sounds painful.

Unfortunately, I would rather be the '1st draft' guy then the 'finished product guy'. Way too many guys out there like Mike Shley and Robert Lazzaretti who are real artists, who don't have to C&P other's guy work. Until I develop a style of my own, I would have to turn such an offer down, regardless.

What I am good for is making sure everything (on a map) 'makes sense', and doesn't conflict with any previous lore, and enhances that lore, and 'fixes' any unfortunate past anomalies (by tying things to other lore so things jell better). I sometimes spend days researching a locale before I will place it on a map - that is something most artists simply do not have the time to do (especially when one considers the changing maps and conflicting lore). I realize that sounds a lot like designing, but its more a visual thing in my case. The idea is to create one set of maps that work for every edition.

Then I can pass on my research to someone who has some real talent.

As for making it to the convention alone, I didn't mean to insult anyone who has done that. I would just feel a little strange going to something like that by myself (so its more about my own paranoia/insecurities). The weird thing is, I actually have very close friends that live only 2 hrs away - I really need to give them a call (but at the same, I am loathe to do so, because then it looks like I am only calling them for a place to crash). I am probably over-thinking things, like usual - story of my life.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  05:54:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I really need to give them a call (but at the same, I am loathe to do so, because then it looks like I am only calling them for a place to crash). I am probably over-thinking things, like usual - story of my life.
Yes you are over-thinking things Markus. Think less and do more, OK! Seriously, it's worth it to go.

2007 was the first year I went to GenCon (by myself, I might add) and it was awesome. Got a chance to talk to Ed Greenwood on an escalator at one point and he was nice enough to oblige me and my questions.

No doubt you'll find ready friends if you can make it, so impose on your buddy that lives nearby. The worst he can say is no and that means you're no worse off then you were before, save for the fact you at least tried.

Also, don't poo poo your map work. We know you're awesome, you know you're awesome. No worries.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Aug 2012 05:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  07:12:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't poo-poo my work - I know what I put into it. I also know my limitations, and if I think someone else can do a better job of making FR look the best its ever been, then thats just the way it has to be.

At the end of the day, the 5e FR map has to knock everyone's socks off. I personally feel that is just as important as everything else that will go into it. It would be selfish/egotistical of me to try and create something that has to be nothing less then a masterpiece of fantasy cartography. Maybe for some smaller projects, but not the 5e campaign map - we have seen just how badly a mediocre {cough} map can effect the setting's premiere.

I talked to my friend - she actually contacted me on FB a few days ago asking if I was going this year (I was supposed to go last year with her brother and his group of friends). I never go on FB anymore, and just a few minutes ago I went on accidentally (went to make a comment about something on some video site, and I had to use FB to register), and there was the message from her... right after I was just talking about it here. Talk about serendipitous.. I think the stars are aligning on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  13:49:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope to see you there MT. I'm meeting up with a lot of "virtual" friends this year and would like to add you to the list.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  19:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant
Who all is planning on going to the keynote anyway? When I saw the announcement for it I signed up. Does anyone who is going know the best route over to the Candlekeep get together?
It's a pretty straight shot. The keynote is in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, which is entered through (on top of?) the Indiana Repertory Theatre--on West Washington between Capitol and Illinois Avenues. The Candlekeep Presents seminar is at the Crowne Plaza, on West Louisiana Street, between those same avenues. So either one works, really, as a quick route (it's three quite-long blocks, so one can make it in less than 10 minutes).

On the other hand, one could cross the street to the Hyatt, take the escalator up to the second floor, take the sky bridge to the convention center, walk along to the other bridge, and cross into the Crowne Plaza that way, but it adds a couple of minutes. Then again, those are mostly air conditioned minutes, so one buys what one can with one's hours...
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  19:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
It's a pretty straight shot. The keynote is in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, which is entered through (on top of?) the Indiana Repertory Theatre--on West Washington between Capitol and Illinois Avenues. The Candlekeep Presents seminar is at the Crowne Plaza, on West Louisiana Street, between those same avenues. So either one works, really, as a quick route (it's three quite-long blocks, so one can make it in less than 10 minutes).

On the other hand, one could cross the street to the Hyatt, take the escalator up to the second floor, take the sky bridge to the convention center, walk along to the other bridge, and cross into the Crowne Plaza that way, but it adds a couple of minutes. Then again, those are mostly air conditioned minutes, so one buys what one can with one's hours...

Thanks for the info. The maps I was finding didn't look like they were up to date so I thought it best to ask. I guess I will have to see if our lovely Indiana hot a humid weather is in full effect. Although south of Indy the drought has mostly taken care of the humid part, the hot is still in full effect.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  16:11:56  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unable to attend, but interested to hear what's coming. My interest in the the D&D brand and the Realms has sagged to an all-time low for me, so any info regarding the Realms of 5E/Next/Whatever-They-End-Up-Calling-It will ultimately determine if my interest becomes renewed, or I completely abandon D&D and the Realms for Pathfinder.

Hopefully the latter is what ends up happening. Look forward to read/watch/listen to the info. :)

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the party favors for this event just arrived at my doorstep. And they look mmmmmarvelous!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  14:59:08  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um... I just saw the final result of what we're giving away to you all. It... is... epic...

Turned out way better than my mind imagined.

Can't wait to see you all there!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  16:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently participating in some key discussions about the coming announcements, and I assure you, you WANT TO BE AT THIS SEMINAR.

That is all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  18:55:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I plan to attend after the Keynote et al. activities conclude. Looking forward to it. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  19:49:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I am going to have to re-purchase some novels just so I have stuff for folks to sign.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Um... I just saw the final result of what we're giving away to you all. It... is... epic...

Turned out way better than my mind imagined.

Can't wait to see you all there!
If its what I think it is (which I have a mere inkling of), then yeah... "blown away" is an understatement.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Aug 2012 19:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  20:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I am currently participating in some key discussions about the coming announcements, and I assure you, you WANT TO BE AT THIS SEMINAR.

That is all.

Cheers

I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say we all want to be there Erik lol.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  21:42:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^ What HE said!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  13:15:59  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I bundle up my varied gaming and costume junk (and my wife and another of my gamers and their junk!) into the SUV for the 14 hour drive from Connecticut to Indiana, I want to take one last opportunity to remind my fellow Candlekeepers of the Realms game I will be running at the convention:

My little adventuring opportunity: RPG1238454 Play Yourself Adventures (in Faerun) (https://registration.gencon.com/events/38454). It is Saturday night from 6 to whenever (midnight at the earliest).

Please take a peek and give it some consideration. I'll be in the crowd watching the Candlekeep event for certain, so if you have any questions, please do ask me when you see me (I'll make it a point to be obvious, think 'what would a cross between Raistlin and Manshoon dress like?' and you'll find me. Lol) I'd love to meet some of the august scribes hereabouts.

See you at the Con!

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  14:47:24  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

^ What HE said!!!

What they said!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  23:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To all at the Candlekeep seminar, I wish you well! Thank you to those organizing and presenting it with their own time. A bit of me will be there as I observe across the sundering sea. Drink one for me.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  00:22:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is the Candlekeep seminar on the second floor of the crowne plaza? I'm not familiar with that hotel.

I think someone here said Victoria station a &b ?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  13:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Is the Candlekeep seminar on the second floor of the crowne plaza? I'm not familiar with that hotel.

Victoria station A/B is on the first floor. That's where the seminar will be.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  14:44:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Victoria station A/B is on the first floor. That's where the seminar will be.

Thanks and see you there.........if it's as chilly as the room for Ed's Spin a Yarn was a few years back....you won't want to forget the hot tea

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000