Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Coffee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  21:09:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose magic can be a drug. An addictive one.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  21:17:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I suppose magic can be a drug. An addictive one.

-An intriguing notion for a story. A sorcerer who has literally always had magic coursing through his blood suddenly (through the Spellplague, I guess) not having the ability to use magic anymore.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  23:03:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VERY interesting.

Vangerdehast's reaction to being in a magic-dead zone was not unlike withdrawal.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  01:51:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And our award for truly random troll of the day goes to...

Did not even notice the user name or link... Must've been some random person looking for places to spam his coffee link to.

I'll remove the post and block that account in a moment.

And I'll admit, I skimmed over the post, just after I saw the reference to coffee... thinking it was a relevant Realmslore post.

My bad.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  20:33:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Vangerdehast's reaction to being in a magic-dead zone was not unlike withdrawal.

-For a Sorcerer, it would be even more extreme. A Wizard, he/she learns to command magic through reading it and understanding the fundamental powers of the cosmos, and all of that. A Sorcerer, he/she literally has the magic inside of them, a part of them, that just kind of manifests. It would be like a pitcher hurting his shoulder and not being able to throw 90+ MPH anymore and a pitcher having his arm amputated.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  21:37:27  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Maztica has excellent coffee. As does Turmish.

Maztica canonically is a source of coffee beans, but I'm not sure about Turmish. Even if they are noted for brewing good coffee, it does not follow that they necessarily grow the coffee beans themselves.

They could import them from Semphar or Durpar, for example. Turmish is a bit northerly for good coffee country. Not that they couldn't, just that it's unlikely that the less robust and more favoured type of plant could grow well there.

You need to grow coffee at altitude, but you also need to be somewhere without any kind of winter and ideally somewhere it rains nine months out of twelve, with a three month dry season you can get in your harvest.

Turmish highlands could be used, I suppose, but since the Neck is noted as freezing over in winter and it is not much further north than Turmish extends, it appears that most of Turmish experiences temperate winters, which would kill any coffee plants.

On the other hand, judging from canonical descriptions of climate around the Inner Sea, I've long thought that the Dragonmere is much colder than the rest of that ocean and that it produces a cooling effect on Cormyr and part of Sembia. Meanwhile, the warm waters of the rest of the sea serve to moderate and warm the climate of other nations. The fact is that most of the Inner Sea lands have climates that are warmer than one would expect from their latitudes, but Cormyr is a notable exception. The winters there can be harsh, in sharp contrast to the subtropical lands of the Vilhon Reach and the fiercely hot lands of Unther, Mulhorand and the Raurin, which appear to have climates suitable for places further south than they actually are.

That is my way to say that the southern part of Turmish might actually be subtropical enough and it certainly has the highlands one would want, around the Orsraun Mountains.

A check reveals that Turmish extends well into Toril's equivalent for the Tropics of Cancer and there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be prime coffee growing land.

The same check, however, reveals that Cormyr's latitude ought to be around 28° N, which is Florida or so. In order for it to have snow in winter and the Neck to freeze over, which we know happens canonically, the Dragonmere pretty much has to have some magical or exotic natural cooling effect.

Edit: Damn it. Depending on whether I count from the equator or the canonical 45°N location of Waterdeep, I get widely diverging latitutdes. Toril is supposed to be larger than Earth, but yet the distance from Waterdeep to the equator appears to be only 2300 miles in the FRIA. I need it to be closer to 3500 miles for things to work out.

Right. Of course someone had already done the corrections for different maps and the fact that they are drawn in 2D. Thanks, Jerry Davis.

Cormyr is at 36°N or so. Turmish lies entirely above 30°N, which means that it is not suitable for growing good coffee, unless some magic is used or what Realmsian people call 'coffee' does not come from a plant that requires the same conditions as the one in our world.

Anything north of the Azulduth is probably not much good for growing coffee.

It could also be Ktzana beans, which is native to Korea and can withstand the harsher climate. it also doesn't taste anything like the coffee most people are used to.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  21:50:26  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Ghoats and pigs will eat the plant and the beans, although ghoats have been known to spit out the beans. There's an old system in Mongolia dating back to the dark ages where clay pipes were barried through raised parts of the earth and warm air goes through them from dung brick fires. Tea is then grown there even in the early winter months (Barker, 1946). I don't know if this could work for Coffee, but the process sounds suitable, so long as the soil is proper.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000