Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Songs of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  21:37:07  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've recently been reading my copy of The Code of the Harpers and got quite into the section on ballads. I even tried recording myself singing a couple (I've always liked singing, and making up tunes for songs is fun).

Now, though, I'm wondering if there are lyrics to any more songs of the Realms. I know there's a list on the Candlekeep site, but that just gives the names of songs; I'm after the actual lyrics, both for myself and for my bard characters who might enjoy performing them.

If anyone has any information, I would love to see. Thanking you in advance!

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  21:39:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Erik de Bie's excellent Ghostwalker features a Bardic character, without giving away too many details. If you have it, I distinctly recall that character singing a bunch of songs.

-Sage, I want to say, is into the music of Faerūn and might be of more help.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 25 Feb 2012 21:40:22
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  00:07:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note sure if these are lyrics from a song or just words from a poem, but I think they are great either way:

We've dug our holes and hallowed caves
Put goblin foes in shallow graves
This day our work is just begun
In the mines where silver rivers run

Beneath the stone the metal gleams
Torches shine on silver streams
Beyond the eyes of the spying sun

The hammers chime on Mithril pure
As dwarven mines in days of yore
A craftsman's work is never done

To dwarven gods we sing our praise
Put another orc in a shallow grave
We know our work has just begun

-taken from the first page excerpt from Streams of Silver

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 26 Feb 2012 00:08:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  00:55:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Sage, I want to say, is into the music of Faerūn and might be of more help.

Indeed.

In terms of actual lyrics for Realms songs, there are examples -- from both official sources, mostly being novels, and posted here at Candlekeep by designers like Ed and/or Elaine.

Generally, though, most of the officially published lore on music and such, exists largely as just the titles and, maybe, who composed them.

I've tried to compile most of the official and Candleep-posted lyrics for Realms songs. Are you looking for anything in particular?

[I'll note, also, that I've begun a lengthy process of composing my own pieces for certain Realms songs, trying to keep within what we know about how music in the Realms works {which is something else I've studied/written about extensively as well}. Being something of a musician myself, does help in this regard. ]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:35:37  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Karsus - not a book I currently possess, but I will look into it.

entreri3478 - I like it!

Sage - I'm not looking for anything very specific; I'm mostly after things I can envision my bard characters performing when I play with them. One's from Waterdeep, the other from Silverymoon, and both are decently travelled. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make to the kinds of songs they'd be picking up, though. Anything you're willing to provide will be gladly accepted.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  05:44:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cassie5squared

-Well, it's a really good book regardless.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  14:27:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

entreri3478 - I like it!

Sage - I'm not looking for anything very specific; I'm mostly after things I can envision my bard characters performing when I play with them. One's from Waterdeep, the other from Silverymoon, and both are decently travelled. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make to the kinds of songs they'd be picking up, though. Anything you're willing to provide will be gladly accepted.

Thanks! I wish i wrote it! It should definitely work for your bard from Silverymoon

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  15:05:05  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entreri, the one you gave very much appears to be a dwarven song related to Mithral Hall. Which in my opinion at least is a bit less Silverymoon-linked, for all it uses 'silver' a lot in it.

Given the elven and half-elven population in Silverymoon (and knowing a bit about the bard in question) I'd suggest looking more toward a mix of elven and human songs.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't envision dwarves performing their songs for non-dwarves very often.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  15:18:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

Entreri, the one you gave very much appears to be a dwarven song related to Mithral Hall. Which in my opinion at least is a bit less Silverymoon-linked, for all it uses 'silver' a lot in it.

Given the elven and half-elven population in Silverymoon (and knowing a bit about the bard in question) I'd suggest looking more toward a mix of elven and human songs.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't envision dwarves performing their songs for non-dwarves very often.

Lol i know, but Silverymoon is relatively close to Mithril Hall so a bard from that city would stand a higher chance of knowing songs/poems about it.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:42:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Just random musing on my part, but I would imagine Dwarven music to be very choppy and sticotto, precise, in generally major key signatures and relatively simple time signatures. All in all, fairly straightforward. Elven music might be the opposite, very slurred and connected, with overt technicalities as well as more subtle complexities. They'd be very moving, evoking very powerful emotions of joy, sadness, whatever the topic would be about. Halfling music probably would be relatively simple without much technicality, reflecting their social mores.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  17:57:09  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree with you for the most part - it'd certainly fit the overal racial aesthetics.

Regarding dwarves, though, I wonder if they'd possibly weave in a bit more complexity than most people would think. Granted, I can see them favouring the choppy stacatto rhythms (likely favouring drums and other percussion instruments), but adding in more complexities under the main beat.

Dwarves always seem to get "oh, they're tough and straightforward, so things they make must be too" but I personally like the idea that their music has subtleties that maybe they can pick up better than people not raised in typical dwarfish environments. Booming and tapping noises are fairly commonplace for your everyday dwarf, after all.

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:37:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Just random musing on my part, but I would imagine Dwarven music to be very choppy and sticotto, precise, in generally major key signatures and relatively simple time signatures. All in all, fairly straightforward. Elven music might be the opposite, very slurred and connected, with overt technicalities as well as more subtle complexities. They'd be very moving, evoking very powerful emotions of joy, sadness, whatever the topic would be about. Halfling music probably would be relatively simple without much technicality, reflecting their social mores.

I've a few tidbits I want to add to this, when I have a moment. Since I've studied the concept of specific racial music among the various races of the Realms, based on what little we know of from canon sources.

More later.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:31:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Krash:-
quote:
Clan Ironshield produced many dwarves feted in tales and songs of the Stout Folk, but history and the long memories of dwarves give particular honour to two very different members of that clan. The first was Dennin Ironshield known to all as the "Skald of Battle". Dennin was a bard, and as dwarves reckon such matters, an extremely talented one. His epic poems and songs delighted many and he was a known carouser and drinker of prodigious ability. Dennin was also a battlerager known for being absolutely fearless in the fray, so much so that even his fellow battleragers grudgingly acknowledged that he was without peer in terms of fearlessness in battle. His ferocity in combat was complemented by screaming songs of bloodthirstiness and the orcs of the mountains would flee at the first sound of him. His repetoire consisted of several of these "blood songs", most of which were magical in nature and provided benefits in terms of strength, stamina and the ability to unnerve opponents.
From Ed, via Dwarves Deep:-
quote:
They enjoy rhythmic drumming in music, disliking flutes and other wind instruments.
From Steven Schend, via Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves:-
quote:
Elven ballads are lengthy and filled with endless stories crossing centuries; most N'Tel'Quess do not have the patience to listen to elven songs, but those who do pay attention are gifted with a transcendent experience of melodies matching all the moods of performer, subject, and listeners all. Elves reveal their secrets only to the patient and to the appreciative, and more can be learned of the Realms in a 36-hour-long song than might be learned in 36 months of book-study; all it takes is a keen ear, a knowledge of elvish song-language (which has some mild but important differences to both their written and spoken tongues), and a great attention span.
From myself, via studies I've made of past halfling Realmslore:-
quote:
The 2e Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfings suggests the banjo, harmonica, and fiddle are instruments found particularly to be used by halflings across many settings -- or, rather, their equivalents. Which, in the case of the Realms, would be a either yarting or a cittern for the banjo [provided the banjo has six strings]. For the fiddle... either a violin or rebec. I'm not entirely sure there is a Realms-equivalent for the harmonica -- perhaps the panpipes [birdpipes] would work best here instead.

Ed's notes to me suggest that the tantan [tambourine] is a popular halfling instrument [which was also supported by Ed's music article in DRAGON #124]. As well, whistle instruments. Ed didn't clarify on those... yet -- this is one of the many follow-up replies I'm still waiting for.

And, as I said earlier, the tocken is noted as being a widespread instrument -- though most southern versions tend to be made from brass. There's no specific lore saying that these are connected with halflings, just that Luiren is one of the noted locales in the south where the instrument is found. And since the tocken is classed as a percussion instrument, like the xylophone, and the halflings tend to have an affinity for percussion instruments, like the tantan, the tocken would likely have some play among halfling fesitvals and the like.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Feb 2012 01:33:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  04:22:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
The 2e Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfings suggests the banjo, harmonica, and fiddle are instruments found particularly to be used by halflings across many settings -- or, rather, their equivalents. (snip)

The banjo, harmonica, and fiddle? Since when did halflings become hillbillies?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  05:10:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
The 2e Complete Book of Gnomes and Halfings suggests the banjo, harmonica, and fiddle are instruments found particularly to be used by halflings across many settings -- or, rather, their equivalents. (snip)

The banjo, harmonica, and fiddle? Since when did halflings become hillbillies?

The fiddle is understandable, I suppose, given the rural-like nature of the Luiren halflings. And the banjo, to an extent.

It's the harmonica that I've always been curious about with respect to how it relates to the halflings. It's not an image I usually call to mind when thinking of halfling musical instruments. Other wind and/or woodwind instruments, certainly, but the harmonica... not so much.

Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  05:39:37  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The fiddle is understandable, I suppose, given the rural-like nature of the Luiren halflings. And the banjo, to an extent.

It's the harmonica that I've always been curious about with respect to how it relates to the halflings. It's not an image I usually call to mind when thinking of halfling musical instruments. Other wind and/or woodwind instruments, certainly, but the harmonica... not so much.
[/quote]

Small and annoying if overdone?

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  19:52:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I could definitley see a more primitive-looking harmonica (less metal and more wood) in their hands. Similar Reed-free wooden instruments, like windpipes, fifes, or ocarinas seem very Halfling-ish to me.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 28 Feb 2012 19:52:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  03:13:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I could definitley see a more primitive-looking harmonica (less metal and more wood) in their hands. Similar Reed-free wooden instruments, like windpipes, fifes, or ocarinas seem very Halfling-ish to me.

Wood or clay ocarinas, perhaps. Even ceramic, to a degree, and largely for decoration in halfling communities.

Similarly, most other woodwind instruments probably have some purchase among halfling musical trends. The windpipe and fife [or, rather, their Realms-equivalents], along with a wooded flute or recorder carry the sense of "bounce" and "whimsy" I would imagine permeates a lot of halfling music.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  13:43:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget Danilo's great hits - Ballad of the Zhentish Raiders and Elminster's Jest. As well as another little, ah, gem from lady Elaine Cunningham - The Elf Lover.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  14:37:58  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Let's not forget Danilo's great hits - Ballad of the Zhentish Raiders and Elminster's Jest. As well as another little, ah, gem from lady Elaine Cunningham - The Elf Lover.

Oh, yes, I love Danilo's songs. His sense of humour in general tickles me, especially when juxtaposed with more typically serious people. My Waterdhavian bard actually considers Dan an inspiration - as you might guess, his friends aren't quite as impressed.

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  01:10:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, another fave topic! The hits just keep coming.... Love bards in general, and music is a subject near and dear to me. Which reminds- Sage, are you EVER going to send any of that compiled stuff my way to help with the project? I'd love to try my hand at composing lyrics for some of the known Realms songs. Just PM me if you still want some assiastance, and when I see what there is to work with, I'll get right on it! (hint, I'm really bored lately and in need of a new project to get into.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  16:29:10  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Ooh, another fave topic! The hits just keep coming.... Love bards in general, and music is a subject near and dear to me.

Bards are one of my favourite classes, too - the others being rogues and wizards, though I've a few characters of various types. I think I love bards so much partly because they're not necessarily as serious as a number of the other classes; if a wizard or a cleric began making fun of a situation and singing songs, people might not take them quite as seriously any more, but if a bard does it he's just being bardy. At least in my experience.

Also, Sage, you mentioned having a compilation of songs? I'd love anything you care to share.

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  17:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ooh, another fave topic! The hits just keep coming.... Love bards in general, and music is a subject near and dear to me.

Bards are one of my favourite classes, too - the others being rogues and wizards, though I've a few characters of various types. I think I love bards so much partly because they're not necessarily as serious as a number of the other classes; if a wizard or a cleric began making fun of a situation and singing songs, people might not take them quite as seriously any more, but if a bard does it he's just being bardy. At least in my experience.

Also, Sage, you mentioned having a compilation of songs? I'd love anything you care to share.

Just being bardy. I like that one!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  19:10:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Spoony bards...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  01:33:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which reminds- Sage, are you EVER going to send any of that compiled stuff my way to help with the project? I'd love to try my hand at composing lyrics for some of the known Realms songs. Just PM me if you still want some assiastance, and when I see what there is to work with, I'll get right on it! (hint, I'm really bored lately and in need of a new project to get into.)

I would definitely welcome your assistance, Alystra. It's just my finding the time to put all my stuff together and send it your way. I'll try to organise some basic workings and notes over the weekend.
quote:

Some of it is homebrew, based on either vague Realmslore references, or my own interpretations when a lacking of lore has prevent me from grounded my working in proper Realms-canon.

Are you interested in those compilations as well?

Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  04:52:22  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Just being bardy. I like that one!

I have an inordinate fondness for using class names as verbs. Things like "clericing it up", "rogueing around" and, of course, "being bardy" are just fun to say. They tend to make my friends laugh, anyway.

quote:
-Spoony bards...

In my current campaign, we have a bard along who somehow manages to be a complete loony (multiple personality syndrome, fourth-wall-breaking just because he's so nuts the DM lets him get away with it in moderation, and loud arguments with his familiar) and still turns the majority of our encounters into completely one-sided affairs with the power of... well, actually, death metal. He's one of the more interesting ways to play a bard that I've come across, and definitely effective.

quote:
Some of it is homebrew, based on either vague Realmslore references, or my own interpretations when a lacking of lore has prevent me from grounded my working in proper Realms-canon.

Are you interested in those compilations as well?

They sound pretty awesome! Bards need to be creative, especially about anything that could make a good story. Right?

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  05:01:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In my current campaign, we have a bard along who somehow manages to be a complete loony (multiple personality syndrome, fourth-wall-breaking just because he's so nuts the DM lets him get away with it in moderation, and loud arguments with his familiar) and still turns the majority of our encounters into completely one-sided affairs with the power of... well, actually, death metal. He's one of the more interesting ways to play a bard that I've come across, and definitely effective.

-Ah, so someone is playing Deadpool.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  06:38:17  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
-Ah, so someone is playing Deadpool.

He probably is, come to that. Except with bigger hair and a beard.

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  16:45:50  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To toot my own horn rather loudly (and in totally bardic manner!), I refer you to the limericks in the 6th post in the Bad jokes scroll and the various compositions (not all of which are about Sharess) in my Thoughts & Prayers topic.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess

Edited by - xaviera on 03 Mar 2012 16:46:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000