Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms couples
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  15:42:13  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Because of Valentine's Day, I felt like asking this:

Who are your favourite Realms couples?
The ones you think are the sweetest, or the most devoted, or who just generally speak to your heart regarding their relationship?

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  16:00:49  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben and Laeral of course.

Danilo and Arilyn close second I guess.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  16:17:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Aye most certainly those two, a true love story that spans centuries

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  17:03:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie back in the day.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  18:52:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely agree re: Khelben and Laeral. And at the risk of being hate-bombed, Elminster and the Simbul in much the same way. Men who are more devoted to nurturing the world and life and freedom than most of their real-world counterparts, paired with women who are simultaneously insanely powerful (not just in level but in "inner strength") and generally uninhibited by the expectations leveled on women by society. People who do Good, in very different ways, with frequently catastrophic-for-the-bad-guys ways.

I'll have to re-read the Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie novels. I seem to remember them teasing each other, but being fiercely loyal. Very cool couple.

I also have to add Azoun IV and Filfaeril. Quite a pair.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  18:59:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

the most devoted, or who just generally speak to your heart regarding their relationship?

And slipping away from the romance and couple (though they were kinda like an old married couple) parts, but with regard to the quoted portion... Ivan and Pikel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  19:08:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Danilo and Arilyn close second I guess.

Ditto.

Also Sememmon and Ashemmi -- a very interesting couple, there.

Cat and Giogi Wyvernspur are a fun couple, too.

And Matteo and Tzigone weren't really a couple, but they were close enough for my liking.

And I've an odd fondness for Orgauth/Abarax and Desmonda/Eshaeris. Yeah, also not a true couple, but something about them intrigued me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Feb 2012 19:10:42
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  19:52:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

the most devoted, or who just generally speak to your heart regarding their relationship?

And slipping away from the romance and couple (though they were kinda like an old married couple) parts, but with regard to the quoted portion... Ivan and Pikel.

Ooo oi!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  20:36:05  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben and Laeral. I like those two a lot, but also because I don't know any other Realms couples really.

Oh yeah, Aerie and Haer'Dalis too.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of a more appropriate thread to put this in:

In honor of Valentine's Day, here's a short bonus non-canonical Shadowbane story--what basically amounts to, if you ask Fayne, "Kalen/Myrin slash fiction." :)

Shadowbane side-story: "Really Don't Do That"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  21:45:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben and Laeral

Elminster and Symbol

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  00:07:57  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I can't think of a more appropriate thread to put this in:

In honor of Valentine's Day, here's a short bonus non-canonical Shadowbane story--what basically amounts to, if you ask Fayne, "Kalen/Myrin slash fiction." :)

Shadowbane side-story: "Really Don't Do That"

Cheers

Thaaaaat's... not slash fiction. At least not under the general view of the term. Slash generally having one less gender in the participants and all.
But it made me snicker regardless. Oh, comic misunderstandings...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  01:05:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because of Valentine's Day, I felt like asking this:

Who are your favourite Realms couples?
The ones you think are the sweetest, or the most devoted, or who just generally speak to your heart regarding their relationship?

Sememmon and Ashemmi has always been the one relationship I've wanted to learn more about. I've developed it further for my own Realms, but I'd love to see how this has actually been nurtured in the Realmslore.

I'll include the more obvious Khelben and Laeral, as well. I'll always remember the impact his death had on Laeral.

My other personal view on "sweetest Realms couples" would be Danilo and Arilyn. I really think this was the one relationship in pre-Spellplague lore that truly brought to mind the difficulties inherent in human/demihuman unions.

And, finally, there is also the wholesomely lovely relationship between the Sage Operth, and the Lady Kazandra. At least in my Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  04:16:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alassra and Lauzoril. If only...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  05:23:24  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

You are a twisted person.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  12:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben and Laeral. Followed by the wizard of my group and Simbul (yes, Elminster lost the heart of the Queen of Aglarond) :)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  13:46:24  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kaanyr Vhok and Aliisza are an interessting couple too
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  14:06:51  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The absolute worst Realm couple was probably Ryld and Halisstra, they never managed to make me feel any sympathy for them.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  14:12:27  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ryld and Pharaun. If only...

Seriously though, they appeal even as friends because they actually seemed to like each other. Even if the usual drow betrayal shenanigans got in the way. They still seemed to have some sense of understanding for one another.

(At least, in the first books of the series. I've not had the heart to read the last three.)

Edited by - Lady Shadowflame on 15 Feb 2012 14:15:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  15:38:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Another good one, though I liked Aliisza much more than Kaanyr Vhok.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  15:51:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Agreed, I never liked Vhok much, not sure why though. Just one of those characters who always rubbed me the wrong way.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  16:32:07  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tongue in cheek: Crenshenibon & Errtu?

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  23:46:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You are a twisted person.

Actually, they liked each other. And Alassra even considered him a potential lover had he not lived on the wrong side of the fence.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  23:47:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ryld and Pharaun. If only...

Seriously though, they appeal even as friends because they actually seemed to like each other. Even if the usual drow betrayal shenanigans got in the way. They still seemed to have some sense of understanding for one another.

(At least, in the first books of the series. I've not had the heart to read the last three.)

I did hope they would end up as lovers. Seriously.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  23:50:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

Agreed, I never liked Vhok much, not sure why though. Just one of those characters who always rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't like either of them. When I first read about Aliisza, I wanted her to die quickly. And Kaanyr, well, more quickly.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  00:50:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I tend to prefer Vhok, actually. But it's a worthwhile relationship, I agree, and it deserves much more page time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  00:53:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I am my favorite couple. Being tripartite allows you to love yourself in ways you would never imagine.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  01:18:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I am my favorite couple. Being tripartite allows you to love yourself in ways you would never imagine.

Sounds narcissistic to me.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  01:48:36  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, they liked each other. And Alassra even considered him a potential lover had he not lived on the wrong side of the fence.

What's not to like, about her?

And as far as Lauzoril... people who have the panache to make Evil look good are appealing "in a certain light" ...and I would think that's particularly true for a free spirit of CN alignment. Lauzoril was/is a snake... but he's a snake with charm, and that goes a long way, unfortunately. All the way to "you're hot, even though you're trying to kill me and my sisters."

Doesn't mean he deserves anything better than death.

That said, I haven't read any novels developing his personality or past. I'm just remembering him from FR6.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  02:05:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What's not to like, about her?

And as far as Lauzoril... people who have the panache to make Evil look good are appealing "in a certain light" ...and I would think that's particularly true for a free spirit of CN alignment. Lauzoril was/is a snake... but he's a snake with charm, and that goes a long way, unfortunately. All the way to "you're hot, even though you're trying to kill me and my sisters."

Doesn't mean he deserves anything better than death.

That said, I haven't read any novels developing his personality or past. I'm just remembering him from FR6.

He has fair amount of novel time in The Simbul's Gift and The Haunted Lands trilogy. And despite the fact that they're penned by different authors, I saw no inconsistency in the portrayal of Lauzoril's personality.

I postulated that the reason behind Lauzoril's possible survival in the said trilogy could be Alassra's debt (paid at a high price). A ring with a mote of silverfire that provided unbreakable protection at a moment of extreme crisis and lasted for a few seconds, enough time for him to translate himself somewhere safe. Or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  04:46:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Being tripartite means you're more than a couple.

Welcome back!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000