Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sven-ga’ri
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  01:54:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Sven-ga’ri are an alien race that found haven in Midkemia. Their only means of communication with other races is through their emotions. At times, one not of their race would find their message vague, specially if they send out their emotions all at the same time, and if their emotions involve something that is completely alien to the receiver.

I wonder, are there creatures like these in the Realms? Perhaps a special type of undead? Maybe some vestiges of lost races that linger in the Prime because their link to their native land endures even after death? Or mayhap an entire race obliterated and altered by the Spellplague [like the way it changed those spells that gained twisted sentience in The Haunted Lands]?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 13 Feb 2012 02:58:25

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  09:06:53  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emotion wasn't really their only means of communication, based on the second Chaos War book. It was just the one they used most often. Given the ultimate result of what happened when they tried a different method, though, it makes sense that they'd restrict themselves to emotion.

(Side note: The ending of Crown Imperiled... well, Big Things are Going Down in Midkemia.)

I seem to remember a creature that might fit the bill for this, but the name eludes me right now. I'll have a browse around, and if I find it then I'll post it.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  09:42:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be argued that members of any race experience and share emotions which communicate to others of their kind yet remain entirely imperceptible or incomprehensible to outsiders.

The Arcane Ages materials describe a kind of "telepathic" elven rapport similar to these Sven-ga’ri, Dennis; it is apparently a critical requisite in the practice of Elven High Magic and raising of mythals. The same sources even speculate that elves who are isolated from such contact for too long gradually lose their sanity and vitality until they perish.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:04:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Ayrik. I will look into it later.

quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

Emotion wasn't really their only means of communication, based on the second Chaos War book. It was just the one they used most often. Given the ultimate result of what happened when they tried a different method, though, it makes sense that they'd restrict themselves to emotion.

(Side note: The ending of Crown Imperiled... well, Big Things are Going Down in Midkemia.)

I seem to remember a creature that might fit the bill for this, but the name eludes me right now. I'll have a browse around, and if I find it then I'll post it.

I'm almost done reading A Crown Imperilled. Got distracted yesterday.

Yes, there's that oval light that Magnus and Pug tried to decipher. The Sven-ga'ri resorted to "visual" communication.

Could the vasuthants be what you're referring to? I'm not sure if they are capable of any form of communication except some sort of telepathy, or memories/illusion, or even some time-warping.

How about dream vestiges?

[Side note: So you read the Kindle edition? Feist badly needs a copy editor. The typos are so annoying. They even mixed Pug and Magnus's names. In chapter four, it said it was Pug that went with Amirantha and Sandreena, and later only to find out it's actually Magnus. No wonder they temporarily stopped selling this edition.]

Edited by - Dennis on 16 Feb 2012 00:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  00:28:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider that one theory about ghosts and apparitions is that they are "echoes" of living consciousness, semi-intelligent "programs" who are constrained to endlessly re-live certain events of emotional significance. Unique emotional perspectives among different races can lead to some apparently indecipherable purposes fuelling the existence of such ghosts.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  01:23:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What I understand about dream vestiges (which are actually ghosts trapped together in a chain of undeath magic), is that they are unable to form "coherent" thoughts, and exude nothing but hate towards each other and the world in general. So in a way, they communicate through emotion. It's just that, it's only one emotion: hate.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000