Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "Crossing the Streams" multi-author book contest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  14:17:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm very pleased to join WotC writers Paul Kemp, Marcy Rockwell, Keith Baker, Matt Forbeck, and a dozen other writers in a network of contests with signed books as prizes.

Each writer is hosting a contest on his or her website. Each contest is a little different, but all are simple and none require any knowledge of the author's work. And each writer will pick two winners: One will be chosen at random, the other for the most interesting answer. You can enter as many of these contest as you like.

There will also be one "super winner," chosen from among ALL of the entries on ALL of the contests. That person will receive a signed copy of ALL the books. At current count, that's seventeen books.

My contest is simple: send an email to elainecunningham@cox.net with "Crossing the Streams" in the subject link. In the body of the email, suggest a name for a house drake, a dragon that's the size of your average cat. One winner will be selected at random, so everyone has an equal chance of winning both the signed book AND the "super winner" prize. The name that most appeals to me will win a second prize.

Each person who wins my contest can chose one of the following: a print copy of Honor Among Thieves, the first book in my Tales of Sevrin series; Winter Witch, a Pathfinder Tales novel; or a 5-book set of the Forgotten Realms Songs & Songs series (Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows, Dream Spheres, Thornhold) in Spanish translation.

For more information, including a list of participating authors and links to their contest pages, please follow this link: http://www.elainecunningham.com/contests/

I hope you'll consider entering a few of these contests, particularly those of writers whose work is unfamiliar to you. There's a wide variety of styles here, so you're likely to find something intriquing.

Good luck!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  19:20:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do house drakes act like traditional dragons, or more like cats/dogs/some other housepet?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  00:38:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've submitted my entry, although I have no interest in the prizes: ye might donate them to Candlekeep if I happen to win.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:44:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spanish?!? Ohhh.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  14:46:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Do house drakes act like traditional dragons, or more like cats/dogs/some other housepet?

They are small dragons. Scale down dragon behavior, and what you have is basically....a cat.

Seriously. Think about it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  19:08:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

They are small dragons. Scale down dragon behavior, and what you have is basically....a cat.

Thought so. Though the thought of fire-breathing cats is a scary one!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  21:04:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought these house drakes were similar to the 1E/2E pseudo-dragon and faerie dragon creatures.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  01:41:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I thought these house drakes were similar to the 1E/2E pseudo-dragon and faerie dragon creatures.

Close enough.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:15:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So you're basically looking for a name that divorces from what we've seen of naming conventions used for small pet dragons in other genres?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  07:56:02  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be sure to try and enter as many of the authors competitions as I can! Great stuff.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  10:45:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* Does gender or scale color matter? Yes I know not all names tend to gender.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  17:02:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

So you're basically looking for a name that divorces from what we've seen of naming conventions used for small pet dragons in other genres?

I not "looking" for anything in particular. The names that have come in so far run the gamut from faux-Latin to Hebrew to Realmsian names characterized by a promiscuous use of vowels. So....whatever strikes your fancy.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 04 Feb 2012 17:03:45
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  17:05:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

*Blink* Does gender or scale color matter? Yes I know not all names tend to gender.

Nope! Feel free to suggest a gender or scale color if you feel it's important to the name.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  17:06:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

I'll be sure to try and enter as many of the authors competitions as I can! Great stuff.

They're all very easy to enter. Since each author is giving away two prizes (plus the prize for the "super-winner") your odds of winning at least one of the contests are pretty good.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 05 Feb 2012 19:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  15:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am part of this awesome contest too!

http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/03/crossing-the-streams-contest/

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  13:48:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Five more days in the Crossing The Streams multi-author book contest! There have been a lot of responses and some very amusing entries. But to make life easier for folks who've yet to enter, I'm adding a new, easier method:

Follow the link below to the contest page of my website and leave a comment. No need to register--I've adjusted the filters so anyone can post.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/contests/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  16:52:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Congratulations! The random number generator at www.random.org selected 45 from a set of {1...96}. Yours was the 45th entry. :)

I've sent you an email at the address on your contest entry.

And I must admit, I'm pleased that someone from Candlekeep won one of the two prizes. The other is a Pathfinder fan, so the shared world communities are well represented.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  19:26:56  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really think Myassis Dragon would win. Oh well, I entered several more contests, and I had fun doing it. That's the only prize that really matters.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  03:17:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I didn't really think Myassis Dragon would win. Oh well, I entered several more contests, and I had fun doing it. That's the only prize that really matters.

::nods:: Plus, you had as good a chance as any for the random prize and the random super-winner prize.

There were a lot of good name suggestions, yours included. But names are such subjective things. The one that caught my fancy was Mewlanx, which struck me as an excellent name for a cat-sized dragon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000