Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Stardeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  23:35:39  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've heard some great things about this book and some bad things as well. What is the book about? Is it all Star elves? is there a sequel or prequel? Help an elven fanboy out please.

Thanks, CEV.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  01:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is at least one character in Stardeep that was first in Darkvision. And IIRC, about half the book takes place in Sildėyuir (the extraplanar homeland of the star elves). Also IIRC, one of the characters is a human monk. Anyways, I remember enjoying reading it, and intend to read it again before reading the Abolethic Sovereignty (4e) trilogy, since I do remember something in Stardeep (a 3e book) that hints at the Abolethic Sovereignty.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  01:23:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stardeep is largely a lore-filled follow-up of the ideas and concepts Bruce Cordell established in Darkvision. I won't spoil it too much, other than to say that star elves do play a prominent role in this tale.

I know a great many folk here at Candlekeep don't have a particular liking for Cordell's style of Realms-fiction, and they often cite Stardeep as a primary example for reasons why. But I found myself rather enjoying both the tale, and the author's focus on the great archaeological and mystical origins of the Stardeep construct.

If you have read and enjoyed Darkvision or even Bruce's "Abolethic Sovereignty" books, then you'll like Stardeep as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Feb 2012 01:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  02:00:18  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then I should read Darkvision first perhaps??
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  02:06:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not necessary, as I see it, but it does help in the understanding of certain tidbits that Cordell drops into the tale of Stardeep.

To put it simply, there is an underlining common theme running through both Darkvision and Stardeep, and to a lesser extent, the "Abolethic Sovereignty" books as well. For maximum enjoyment, I'd read each as they were originally published. But, as I said, it's not wholly necessary. Either Darkvision or Stardeep can be read in any order, really.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  06:35:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You can read my review of Stardeep here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19847326/LKs_Book_Review:_Stardeep. It's fairly comprehensive without giving away too many spoilers.

-Information the book provided in included in the relevant sections of EoF. I also have information from it inserted in unfinished subjects topics, such as the Yuirwood, or the Sildėyuir.

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

So then I should read Darkvision first perhaps??

-I don't think you really need to. Kyril Duskmourn, one of the protagonists of Stardeep is a side-character in Darkvision. She is introduced there, and her character, personality and motives for doing the things she does are fleshed out somewhat in that book, but there is nothing that is necessary to understanding the character. The plot line of Darkvision does not really have anything to do with the plot line of Stardeep with the exception of Kyril's inclusion.

-That is one thing I like that Bruce Cordell does/did. Ususi, a side-character in Lady of Poison was the main character in Darkvision. Kyril Duskmourn, a side-character in Darkvision was the main character of Stardeep. Raidon Kane, the aforementioned Half-Elf/Half-Shou Monk, was a side-character in Stardeep, and was the main character of the Abolithic Sovereignty trilogy.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 26 Feb 2012 06:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  07:12:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lord Karsus

-That is one thing I like that Bruce Cordell does/did. Ususi, a side-character in Lady of Poison was the main character in Darkvision. Kyril Duskmourn, a side-character in Darkvision was the main character of Stardeep. Raidon Kane, the aforementioned Half-Elf/Half-Shou Monk, was a side-character in Stardeep, and was the main character of the Abolithic Sovereignty trilogy.
[/quote]
I agree whole heartedly with that. It creates a sense of continuity and helps you relate to the characters.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000