Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Finaly - Ed's notes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:34:01  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'll second Erendriel! And YES, by all means, Seravin, DO that!! It would break my heart if Ed lost all that lore from a fire or other disaster! (Speaking as someone who has a slowly building cashe of lore myself.... I've already started backing up mine.) :)

We should throw a party if our two missed deities come back! Though I'm not so sure how that would go over for the two goddesses and their followers though!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:59:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure followers of both would be absolutely ecstatic! Especially since the followers of one deity in particular don't even remember her name.... I'd love to see some former priestess come across one of her own journals or such and say, "I used to follow WHO??! Oh, wait... NOW I remember!!"

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  03:54:27  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pretty sure followers of both would be absolutely ecstatic! Especially since the followers of one deity in particular don't even remember her name.... I'd love to see some former priestess come across one of her own journals or such and say, "I used to follow WHO??! Oh, wait... NOW I remember!!"

That isn't so far-fetched as some may think. When the drowpocalypse happened, it specifically says 'erased all knowledge of her from the minds of her followers'. It said absolutely nothing about the printed word. So her lore, her histories, her holy books (as well as some of her temples, possibly)...all still there, and you know that Oghma would not suffer the destruction of so much of the written word - if at all.

So whoever told Lisa Smedman to do all those horrible things - take that. She deliberately left us so many outs, it's amazing to think about. Let's hope she (or another writer) is afforded the chance to fix that unnamed professor's mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:36:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, I think we're overlooking something here... This is just a showcase of Ed's campaign. There is no indication that any of this will be considered canon for the published setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:43:32  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gennifae reclined in the bone made chair, fond memories of a recent party between her clergy and the clergy of another goddess, Eilistraee, flicked through her mind.
She notices an old looking journal sitting curiously on a rotted bookshelf. She picks it up and blows the dust off of the cover. Pressed into the well worn leather was the title: Corspe Stealing and Other Useful Tactics Against the Spider Lovers, a Book of Lessons of Kiaransalee.
Gennifae's eyes widen. Memories flood back, ones that show how she lost her goddess from that other edition's wretched 4e lore. ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  04:44:59  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Folks, I think we're overlooking something here... This is just a showcase of Ed's campaign. There is no indication that any of this will be considered canon for the published setting.

Don't crush our hopes, space hamster!
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  05:24:47  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not at all, O Hamstermeister.

We are well aware that this is possibly a placation tactic, and little else. I, at least, am not under any illusion that this will be interpreted as an 'official setting'. I can accuse Wizbro of many things, but I will not claim they are stupid. It's about as genius a stroke as they could have devised, if you think about it.

But none of that matters. It's Ed Greenwood (as if I have to tell you that). We're getting our cake, and we can eat it, too. And that's all that matters.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  14:58:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is published by Wizards, says Forgotten Realms, and has Ed's name on it...that's more canon to me personally than the 4th Edition FR book. Your mileage may very.

I'm so excited about this book, it's in my cart on Amazon awaiting purchase.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  15:31:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BUT...

If this tome sells like MAD, what would you think an intelligent company would do? I know what I'd do.

If my hotcakes were 'selling like hotcakes', I know I'd start cooking a boatload of new hotcakes.

Lets remember the 'vote with your wallet' paradigm. It seems to have worked on 4e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Feb 2012 15:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  19:14:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

BUT...

If this tome sells like MAD, what would you think an intelligent company would do? I know what I'd do.

If my hotcakes were 'selling like hotcakes', I know I'd start cooking a boatload of new hotcakes.

Lets remember the 'vote with your wallet' paradigm. It seems to have worked on 4e.

Oh, on that, I agree. I personally think that part of this is to test the waters, as it were. I was just commenting because at least a couple of posts seemed to indicate a belief that this was going to be canon from the get-go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  20:57:51  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am inclined to believe this will come down one of two ways:

1. An on-the-side showcase of the campaign of the man who created The Realms

--or--

2. A 'reboot' of the Realmslore returning to the style of previous writings.

Regardless of which it is released as, I suspect the ultimate end result will be two-fold.

First, as many have stated, fans of The Realms will immediately rush to the nearest retailer to purchase this trove of lore creating a nearly overnight boom market and cash influx for WizBro. Then the principle of 'vote with your wallet' will create a self-fulfilling prophesy from there. WizBro, staring a potentially huge cash cow in the face, will be forced to make a decision (unless, IMO, the events of the Spellplague which started the entire schism are secretly one of Ed's ideas and covered in writings). I think, from a business decision view point, it's relatively simple math. Does WizBro follow the obvious profit and abandon the [arguably] unpopular spellplague timeline or, continue with The Realms 'as is' and simply use Ed's home campaign as an additional Realms-related profit generation stream?

Regardless of which decision they choose, I predict that many fans will adopt Ed's campaign as 'canon' regardless of what the officially published WizBro books contain. I also suspect that the longer you've been adventuring in The Realms, the more likely you will be to adopt Ed's version and abandon anything else.

Which means, if this is handled incorrectly, rather than heal the rift in their fan base, it could potentially divide them even further. The results of which should cause a shudder in all of us.

Good Hunting!

EDIT: Punctuation.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 03 Feb 2012 21:00:36
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  23:53:05  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Which means, if this is handled incorrectly, rather than heal the rift in their fan base, it could potentially divide them even further. The results of which should cause a shudder in all of us.

Agreed. As much as I dislike the Spellplague and related issues, going about a split this way with such a polarizing divisions and the 'backing' of the setting creator with one is not a good way to continue supporting the setting.

I doubt Wotc would do that. I think it will turn out similar to option 1 in your post above. It will be a collection of campaign notes, perhaps somewhat rules and time agnostic (maybe with brief adaption notes), something groups can pick and choose for which ever version of FR they run.

Hmm. What if the series isn't always a continual collections of Ed's notes, but a series of [Insert Author] Presents FR. Sort of like Monte Cook's WoD released not too far back.

Top of the Wishlist:

Jeff Grubb Presents Toril.

Maybe a new thread if this is inappropriate.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 03 Feb 2012 23:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:20:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

<snip>WizBro, staring a potentially huge cash cow in the face, will be forced to make a decision (unless, IMO, the events of the Spellplague which started the entire schism are secretly one of Ed's ideas and covered in writings). I think, from a business decision view point, it's relatively simple math. Does WizBro follow the obvious profit and abandon the [arguably] unpopular spellplague timeline or, continue with The Realms 'as is' and simply use Ed's home campaign as an additional Realms-related profit generation stream?

Actually, the Spellplague was (conceptually, anyway) one of Ed's ideas; he just never intended it to actually happen. This is covered in Ed's scroll from last year, I believe; link forthcoming with the exact page, either from me or from whomever beats me to it.

Edit: Here: Almost halfway down the page; the long post by George Krashos.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Feb 2012 02:23:42
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:42:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I live in Toronto and am in charge of business continuity disaster recovery at work (eg having off site work place, black box type indestructible servers and safes, backing up of data daily). Next time I see Ed I'm going to beg him to scan his room after room of loose leaf notes into PDF so we have some record of all his wonderful creations that would survive in the event of some peril. A small housefire would be terrible. I also wonder what kind of home owner's insurance rider he has on all that lore!

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You just put my stomach in a knot.

And mine... Sage, we need a "definitely very ill" smiley. The "dead" smiley goes a bit too far, and looks far too happy.

Edit: And yes, Seravin, please do so. I'm pretty sure Ed won't have the time to do the scanning himself, tho... it seems as if he'll be rather busy, even by his standards, for the next while.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Feb 2012 02:56:17
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:49:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Agreed. As much as I dislike the Spellplague and related issues, going about a split this way with such a polarizing divisions and the 'backing' of the setting creator with one is not a good way to continue supporting the setting.

I doubt Wotc would do that. I think it will turn out similar to option 1 in your post above. It will be a collection of campaign notes, perhaps somewhat rules and time agnostic (maybe with brief adaption notes), something groups can pick and choose for which ever version of FR they run.

Hmm. What if the series isn't always a continual collections of Ed's notes, but a series of [Insert Author] Presents FR. Sort of like Monte Cook's WoD released not too far back.

It might be interesting, particularly your suggestion of Jeff Grubb... but Ed has more than enough material to keep the series going by himself, even at the rate of a book a month (which is both a delirious dream of mine and likely an impossible pace to sustain, seeing as Ed is extremely busy as it is and I would want him to have final editorial control over contents). Still, I would definitely check it out, particularly if Jeff were to revisit Zakhara and/or Kara-Tur.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  02:52:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

That isn't so far-fetched as some may think. When the drowpocalypse happened, it specifically says 'erased all knowledge of her from the minds of her followers'. It said absolutely nothing about the printed word. So her lore, her histories, her holy books (as well as some of her temples, possibly)...all still there, and you know that Oghma would not suffer the destruction of so much of the written word - if at all.

So whoever told Lisa Smedman to do all those horrible things - take that. She deliberately left us so many outs, it's amazing to think about. Let's hope she (or another writer) is afforded the chance to fix that unnamed professor's mistake.

You know, this is just possible enough within the current state of the Realms that it maybe should be quoted here. But I'll leave that decision to the OPs.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000