Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Finaly - Ed's notes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  22:24:15  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell
I am under no illusion that even if I live another 50 to 60 years, and assuming Ed is a mighty master of the Realms Pen that I believe him to be (or the Realms Writing Program, I'm not choosy), I'll go to my grave without seeing a fraction of what Ed has stashed away in Greenwood Manor. But I'll greedily take what I can get.

I'm almost as curious about how Ed crams rooms full of Realmslore into his rooms as seeing the Realmslore itself. Please don't say loose leaf.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  22:37:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Varl:

From what I've seen from THO on Ed's scrolls in the past, much of it is just that... I would assume/hope in binders, roughly organized by general topic, but I think Ed's too busy creating lore (and with Real Life) to have much time to organize it all. With that in mind, I'll offer my services as Ed's full-time Realmslore organizational assistant. Oh... wait a minute... Ontario winters? This has just become a much more difficult decision for me, particularly seeing as I don't drive in the best of weather (medical reasons), and even the relatively pathetic amount of snow we get in West Coast winters is enough to keep me off my bicycle.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 Jan 2012 22:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  17:54:01  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me sentimental but I am picturing this as coming to us written in the style of the exquisite Volo's Guides. Books those of us who have been around a while longer than we wish to admit still have in our collection and likely cherish.

I also like the idea that each hardprint book could come with a keycode to download a high-quality .pdf of the work for portability in today's modern environment as well as the DVD someone else mentioned containing the maps & artwork - preferably with a coded adventure and the ability to 'blank' them and create your own dungeon using the diagram and ideas as you see fit.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  18:34:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Call me sentimental but I am picturing this as coming to us written in the style of the exquisite Volo's Guides. Books those of us who have been around a while longer than we wish to admit still have in our collection and likely cherish.

I also like the idea that each hardprint book could come with a keycode to download a high-quality .pdf of the work for portability in today's modern environment as well as the DVD someone else mentioned containing the maps & artwork - preferably with a coded adventure and the ability to 'blank' them and create your own dungeon using the diagram and ideas as you see fit.

Good Hunting!

I'd love both of those ideas to be incorporated.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  20:08:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see... Yep, got the savings account all ready to dump money on this.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  21:16:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Good Hunting!

I'd love both of those ideas to be incorporated.

I love these ideas as well... let's make sure that WotC gets our ideas, shall we?

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Let's see... Yep, got the savings account all ready to dump money on this.

You and me both, Ashe... and several other contributors to this scroll, methinks...

Something I'm really hoping to see is Ed's original cultural concepts for Mulhorand, Unther, and the other "derivative" realms from the OGB; I know this has been discussed at length in Ed's scrolls over the years, but now, I don't immediately recall which realms were changed and which were (more or less) Ed's original concepts. I do recall that the story of the fall of Netheril was changed, as were the Moonshaes, and that Icewind Dale was "tacked on" ... hmm... there's an alternate Spellplague for you... Drizzt is magically transported back to Icewind Dale, which implodes around him as the Realms are restored to Ed's original vision... good for the grognards like myself, but probably not so good for WotC's bottom line.

Question: The quote in the original post says "all your campaign notes"... now, do they just have no idea how much material there is, or are they anticipating sequels to begin with? I know this subject has already been addressed by THO, but I thought I'd see if there was anything more definitive from WotC on the matter yet. I'm guessing it will depend on sales of the first book, as I think I've already mentioned. I suppose I needn't tell everyone to buy this book, buy it as Christmas gifts for everybody, regardless of whether they know what the Realms are or not. "Trust me, you'll like it."

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  00:59:29  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it doesn't come in Volo Guide style, then perhaps FR1 Waterdeep "mouseprint"

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:01:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would thoroughly welcome a new series of Volo's Guides for anything Realms-related, really. Written by any of the old Lore Lords, of course.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:40:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BUT... I would want them to start in areas that haven't already been covered by them, before they start re-doing the areas that have been done over and over again.

They have stated plans to reprint everything, so we can look at it as we are already getting new (old) Volo's guides on the North, Cormyr, Dalelands, etc... I want to see Ed's take on the Shaar, Vilhon Reach, the East and the South, the Shoon lands, etc.

Then they can start the repeats (if people want new versions - I find the old ones still hold up well).

EDIT: And lets not leave-out Steven Schend - he is quite capable of writing Volo's Guides himself (on those areas he help breath life into).

I would love to do a Volo's Guide to the Hordelands {sigh}. Maybe I should write one now and I'll get BRJ'd.

EDIT2: Ohhhh... or the Utter East... finally a use for all that goodness.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2012 02:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:13:25  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

BUT... I would want them to start in areas that haven't already been covered by them, before they start re-doing the areas that have been done over and over again.

I completely agree... if we hadn't had Faerun re-done three times, we could have had the entire world described by now. *sigh*

quote:

They have stated plans to reprint everything, so we can look at it as we are already getting new (old) Volo's guides on the North, Cormyr, Dalelands, etc... I want to see Ed's take on the Shaar, Vilhon Reach, the East and the South, the Shoon lands, etc.

Yes! Absolutely, Positively, YES!

quote:

Then they can start the repeats (if people want new versions - I find the old ones still hold up well).

I agree... if we're getting the timeline opened up, we don't need new material for areas already described... except for FR5, The Savage Frontier. I want an adventure, similar in style (but NOT layout) to the "Expedition" series of hardcover adventures at the end of 3E, exploring the ruins of Ascore and those red pyramids described therein... written (or at least lore-backgrounded) by Ed, of course.

quote:

EDIT: And lets not leave-out Steven Schend - he is quite capable of writing Volo's Guides himself (on those areas he help breath life into).

I would love to do a Volo's Guide to the Hordelands {sigh}. Maybe I should write one now and I'll get BRJ'd.

EDIT2: Ohhhh... or the Utter East... finally a use for all that goodness.

Yes... on all three counts, but particularly the last two. Get writing, Mark! Seriously! (The material all still exists in some form, right?)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:19:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is why I said a "new" series. I'd expect they would cover areas/material not previously featured in prior volumes of this most cherished series of sourcebooks.
quote:
The original Realms Lore Lords, for me at least, are Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, Jeff Grubb, George Krashos, and the rest of the contributing bunch who were often listed in 1e and 2e sources.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:31:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Vote for George Krashos doing Volo's Guide to the Eastern Heartlands. (featuring Impiltur, of course).

Jeff Grubb could probably write about any area - not familiar with what specifically Mr. Boyd worked on (aside from the religion books) - does he have a 'region of choice'? Given his netbook work on the monsters, he might be perfect for a Volo's Guide to all Things Monstrous

Ergo, we could have Volo's guides that are non-geographic in nature (we already had one of those, and it was a HUGE success).

Then move Van Ritchen to the Realms (c'mon... hasn't he suffered enough? Let him get free of the Domains of Dread already), and we could get new, Van Ritchen Guides that are Realms-specific.

Gee, my wish list is really getting out of control... I just hope some of these are sounding good to 'the powers that be'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2012 03:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:49:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My Vote for George Krashos doing Volo's Guide to the Eastern Heartlands. (featuring Impiltur, of course).

Jeff Grubb could probably write about any area - not familiar with what specifically Mr. Boyd worked on (aside from the religion books) - does he have a 'region of choice'? Given his netbook work on the monsters, he might be perfect for a Volo's Guide to all Things Monstrous

Ergo, we could have Volo's guides that are non-geographic in nature (we already had one of those, and it was a HUGE success).

Then move Van Ritchen to the Realms (c'mon... hasn't he suffered enough? Let him get free of the Domains of Dread already), and we could get new, Van Ritchen Guides that are Realms-specific.

Gee, my wish list is really getting out of control... I just hope some of these are sounding good to 'the powers that be'.

And Brian Cortijo's doing Volo's Guide to the Western Heartlands... including Cormyr and its lineage, correct?

Oh, and the esteemed Van Richten is deceased, sadly. I don't have details, but it is canon... and since he died in the Demiplane of Dread, he can't very well be writing in the Realms regardless of the timeline.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:51:19  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

April 17th for Halls of Undermountain. I'm hoping it catches the feeling and depth of the first boxed set. Wish we'd get the old school print outs of the map from the old days. Or better yet a keycode inside the book to download an official map pack pdf from wizards, so DM's could use those maps time and again after marking them up.

I'm just hoping that this product resolves the mystery of Halaster... that is, why did a pile of new NDA's pop up around him after his death?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  06:47:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

April 17th for Halls of Undermountain. I'm hoping it catches the feeling and depth of the first boxed set. Wish we'd get the old school print outs of the map from the old days. Or better yet a keycode inside the book to download an official map pack pdf from wizards, so DM's could use those maps time and again after marking them up.

I'm just hoping that this product resolves the mystery of Halaster... that is, why did a pile of new NDA's pop up around him after his death?

Until, and mostly likely unless Ed is involved, I'm not inclined to believe Wizards will work up anything with Halaster's fate.

Unless, of course, more elaboration on his supposed connection to the coming of the Spellplague is keyed to the shaping of 5e Realmslore.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Feb 2012 06:56:36
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  14:55:06  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which is why I chose the words I did:
quote:
... I am picturing this as coming to us written in the style of the exquisite Volo's Guides.

For the rest of the discussion pertaining to who is going to pen what, I'd prefer to use the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid. We were all excited about getting a taste of "Ed's Notes" so it seems a bit rediculous, to me at any rate, that we would expect anyone but Ed to write about his world. If we do allow others to pen the work, I would prefer if Ed be a co-author at a bare minimum to ensure that only 'Ed-approved' work is sent to print. Anything less than that, in my opinion, is not 'Ed's Realms' as we are all hoping to see them.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  19:55:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course co-authored by Ed!!!
Everything would be based ENTIRELY off his notes, and he would get final say over everything contained therein (acting as editor-in-chief). With that methodology, we could expect a guide-book every other month, rather then one or two a year.

Also, only in areas where his payers hadn't really tread - leave the Heartlands entirely to him. Its a BIG playground, and I think certain (select) others could really do a great job (Steven Schend doing a Volo's Guide to the Lake of Steam Region, for instance).

quote:

And Brian Cortijo's doing Volo's Guide to the Western Heartlands... including Cormyr and its lineage, correct?
I love Cormyr - Azoun is my very favorite character - but I tink Cormyr is over-exposed for now. I would love another Cormyr book down the line, but not at first - it would look like they were just 'recycling' all over again. The Dales and Cormyr have both gotten Volos guides already. One of Sembia or the Moonsea lands would be more to my liking, at this point.

quote:

Oh, and the esteemed Van Richten is deceased, sadly. I don't have details, but it is canon... and since he died in the Demiplane of Dread, he can't very well be writing in the Realms regardless of the timeline.
Who said anything about Rudolph?

He had a tryst with an Alu-fiend, who later escaped back to the Realms... and gave birth to their daughter Rachael. An intellectual hotty ('librarian vide') with cute little horns. Done and done.

Do I know how to sell this crap or what?

Just no more "Drizzt's Guide to...' --- Ugh

I also had a granddaughter planned for Volo, IF they decided to stay in the 4e-era.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  20:15:17  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG....Volo's Guide to the Moonsea...dealing with Phlan especially (soft spot for it since Pool of Radiance goldbox on my Commodore 128 was my introduction to the Realms)....I'd die and go to heaven. I love the Moonsea 2nd Edition supplement with the Red Plume sticking a baguette at some Zhentilar.

And yes, Sembia...in particular Saerloon...I'd LOVE a Volo's Guide to Sembia. Both amazing suggestions. Cormyr is great but it has been well served in prior supplements I think. Spread the love!
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  20:31:16  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. How are we to know we're going to get more than three books before they move on to another setting, like in 4e? We're setting ourselves up for disappointment, says the cynic in me.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  20:35:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the danger of focusing on hope, rather than reality.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  04:13:25  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You wonder how he stores it all? El has brought
some bag of holding and those folding holes from
Faerun for him. Plus the spider filled crawl spaces
under the house are duo-dimensional.

Watch out for the crawling slime.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  07:21:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia would be a nice area to detail, especially with Shade governing them. Considering how merchant based that realm is, I think it'd be nice to see some heavy work done with caravans, trading costers etc and what kind of goods they have, what they are worth, how to run a merchant company etc etc. I don't know how strong of a want there would be for that stuff. But having a list of Realms trade goods, exotic Thayan wares, goods from Chult and really just a big old list of all goods of note produced from various nations and their worth would be good. Makes for cooler loot to reward than just a standard, you find 200 gold on the bandits type deal.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  14:17:07  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Toronto and am in charge of business continuity disaster recovery at work (eg having off site work place, black box type indestructible servers and safes, backing up of data daily). Next time I see Ed I'm going to beg him to scan his room after room of loose leaf notes into PDF so we have some record of all his wonderful creations that would survive in the event of some peril. A small housefire would be terrible. I also wonder what kind of home owner's insurance rider he has on all that lore!

Edited by - Seravin on 02 Feb 2012 14:41:16
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  14:37:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just put my stomach in a knot.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  21:46:46  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy dear sweet gods! Can it really be? Praise be to the gods! Please tell me that a lot of the fey things are going to be fixed and a lot of the deities are coming back. (Kiaransalee, Kiaransalee, Kiransalee!) Oh, and that there are no aspects of the deities!! (Fix the Seldarine, Fix the Seldarine!)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:06:27  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, exarch was just confusing. Demi-god has worked for 20 some odd years, just put that word back in. Maybe with 5E, the planar changes will have calmed down and the gods will start branching out on their own again, instead of having to seek shelter with more powerful deities. Blamo! The vast pantheons are back!!
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:25:32  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as an old school grognard, I'm shocked Hasbro has managed to make me look forwards to a new FR book... I'm intrigued. I'll have to look it over first, they lost my trust long ago, but if it is what they say it is... wow... and I encourage people to snap them up if it is. The only way to get more books of this type is to show them there is a real market for it. Must make the book a best seller.

But again, only if you look at it and find it is what you like. Buying crap would only encourage them to produce more crap... :)

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:25:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second Erendriel! And YES, by all means, Seravin, DO that!! It would break my heart if Ed lost all that lore from a fire or other disaster! (Speaking as someone who has a slowly building cashe of lore myself.... I've already started backing up mine.) :)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:29:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of old scribes coming home to roost.

"If you build it, they will come"

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:38:52  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are Legion?

Good to see the community is still around and willing to reassemble if given the right impetus. We just needed some good news.

Let's just hope, despite the positive potential, that the roost doesn't become another roast.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000